Thread: Im a rookie and need some tips and tricks

Hybrid View

Im a rookie and need some tips and tricks

OK, not only am i an avid outdoors-man that has a lot to learn while bow hunting but i am also someone who is attempting to coyote hunt and i would love to learn some of the tricks and trades in having successful hunts. Does anyone have any advice on anything that i could use. I have never shot a coyote but i have seen them as they bust me and make rooster tails running the opposite direction.
    I would like to know about what to wear and what scents to use...i have been told that my bow-hunting gear works great and fox piss is a good tool to use so that is what iv been wearing. I would also like to know what the best times to hunt would be. i have been told morning are the best and i hunted morning and nights. I have seen coyotes during both morning and nights. Any ideas on what calls to use beside the common rabbit distress. I have experimented and used different calls and have never really seen any results. I would love any input. I would like to learn a lot so i don't keep educating the dang things.

I too am looking for some tips. Last year I lost my beagle house dog in Jan. This year in Jan. my old 4 legged buddy Boomer never came home. The Neighbor dog was found on his porch 2 weeks ago with his back legs all chewed up. He is doing ok. The other neighbors have seen the yotes and now I'm on a mission to take them out. A few years ago we never had this problem, So to you guys out there, a little help please.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I guess were not gonna get any help on this one Backwoodshick.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.

well in a nut shell shoot the yotes

you can bait them, , trap them, or you can call them in
    , huntthem,!!
    not knocking, so don't get mad, but maybe if your dogs didn't run loose, they would be safer,
    I never let mine run loose becoase I knbow tere are critters about , and I know how bad it is to loose a dog so sorry to hear that, I lost mine last yr as well, hard pill to swallow, but when there loose too many things can go wrong, sorry!
    you can pick up some dead deer, and use as bait too, if legal, depuble check on that with dnr, you might need a permit, and or ,, Roll the dice I guess! if you like to gamble!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well in a nut shell shoot the yotes

you can bait them, , trap them, or you can call them in
    , huntthem,!!
    not knocking, so don't get mad, but maybe if your dogs didn't run loose, they would be safer,
    I never let mine run loose becoase I knbow tere are critters about , and I know how bad it is to loose a dog so sorry to hear that, I lost mine last yr as well, hard pill to swallow, but when there loose too many things can go wrong, sorry!
    you can pick up some dead deer, and use as bait too, if legal, depuble check on that with dnr, you might need a permit, and or ,, Roll the dice I guess! if you like to gamble!
    Not mad at all, And don't you get mad when I say if you have to constantly chain or confine your dogs, then they might as well be dead, or you have no business having one, in my opinion. I live in the country for a reason. This is a very special area in which all the dogs in the neighborhood are welcome anywhere. Boomer took it upon himself to check the perimiter of the property everyday for almost 12 years, it was his job. These attacks are coming awfully close to our houses, and it's time we get off our asses around here and do something about it. Thanks for the ideas, but I myself need a little more info than that.

OK, I am not mad at all, and hope this doesn't turn into a heated debate not my meaning
    I agree 100% an animal, a dog or what ever should not have to be chained or caged to keep it or what's the point

I had my dog on a leash to go to the vet or when at my parents, due to it was the only safe way to be there and a deal with the vet! so I am not a big leash law guy, if the pet is trained
    and thats a HUGE part , trained, no leash is needed in my eyes! so I agree with you on this!

I will not and do not mean to sound like I am bashing you, but I have to say this

I get country life style, I live in large forested area, I have 6,00 plus acres of un interrupted woods behind my house and about 2500 in acros the street in front of my house, so I am rural/country

that said, I never left my dog run free
    simply because its dangerous to the dog, and the wildlife about it

in most states it LEGAL to shoot a dog that chases deer
    and I have seen all size dogs chase deer, and MANY beagle were right in that too

dogs running loose and chasing deer and or other game animals IS a common problem for huners and people in general

I never wanted to shoot a dog, but cannot say I haven't
    and trust me I am a dog person, my last one was like a kid to me and his passing still stings!

so its not I have anything aganst dogs at all, but I will come right out and say a dog owner that just lets a dog run about is not, sorry a good dog owner

there dogs are at risk to so many things, that a different TYPE of owner would see fit to make sure they stay safe/safer

sure a dog can live long and healthy lives running free

but at the same time when one get hurt killed or injured by people or wildlife, sadly its teh owners fault in my eye's

as if the dog was in a safe enviroment, and I don't me chainmed to a tree or in a cage
    as again, my dog walked 1-3 + miles a day and never seen a cage or a chain,
    I made sure he got out and a about off leash and in a safe manor

in my eye's thats what a responsible owner does

again I don't mean to bash you, its just MY view and I call things as I see them

and since I have heard so many hunters complain about loose dogs, I know I am not alone

you can do as you liek, its your right

but many times its the dogs that lose
    and like i said, I am a dog person, so, !!!

I am sorry your dogs got what happened, that outright sucks and my comndolences on than

BUt coyotes are out there like other dangers so, only way to lower the risks is to contol them best you can, be it ???

Thread Information