Thread: Surprise and shocked out shed hunting!!!!!

Hybrid View

Surprise and shocked out shed hunting!!!!!

I went out shed hunting this past Thursday for the first time this year. I didn't find any sheds but what I did find I was really shocked at. I have been out in years past and just haven't seen these numbers. I saw at least 10 dead deer in a pretty small area. This is on private property that sees light to moderate pressure at best. Seven of these were last years fawns with only one of them being a button buck. The yotes had eaten on all of these. There were 3 adult carcasses. One was a 1 1/2 year old buck still in tact which I was hoping would make it a few more years. He had split brows and was a 5x4. I will include some pics of him. I did not see any wounds on him, but I am wondering if maybe he was gut shot. His stomach area was opened and messed up but the yotes hadn't got to him yet. I am guessing he was probably dead about 1 month. Then there was an adult doe carcass. The one disturbing thing that really got to me was a large bodied buck without a head. This was an obvious sign of a poacher I would say. It also got me to thinking. Do you guys think those other deer could have been the work of a poacher as well with all of these carcasses being in such a small area? It might have been about a square 1/4 mile area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deadbuck22.jpg   deadbuck3.jpg   deadbuck11.jpg  

Yes definitely could be. I find that a lot in area I shed hunt. It's in a secluded agricultural area,

You definitely cant say it was a long tough winter for them this year. Looks like you may have a problem on your hands.
    2013-2014 Tally
    Antlered deer seen under 60 yards: 0
    Antlerless deer seen under 60 yards: 6
    Total deer seen:11
    Deer killed:0/ Deer Missed:0
    Morning hunts:2
    Evening hunts:6
    Property/Hunts B:2, F:2, M:10, S:0, R:0

Id contact the local dow officer asap.

I would definately say you have a problem on your hands, I would let the landowner know about it too, if ya dont own the land yourself.
    no matter the language, everyone understands a punch in the mouth!

seems pretty weird, I'd say poaching for sure.

Man that's really a downer. Just curious if you reported this or not.

State issued damage permits are a possibility, depending on the time of year. i believe the permits are revoked during season. At least some that I got one year ended in Sept. I forget the exactly regs, because the deer disappeared from my garden the moment i got the permits, but I do not think the shooter has any legal obligation to dispose of the deer. Cutting off a head however....... not kosher.

Where abouts were you looking, just roughly? I'm just across the river, and the deer numbers are completely out of control all over the NP border zones.
    Three life certainties:
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. You'll never shoot a big buck, as long as you are willing to shoot a little buck

Far more important than the number of people you know while you are here
    is the number of people that actually miss you when you are gone.

I believe you are right about not being able to use them during a season.

I would call ohio dnr could be some type of disease ?definitely worth checking out ...

Thread Information