Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise and shocked out shed hunting!!!!!

Surprise and shocked out shed hunting!!!!!

I went out shed hunting this past Thursday for the first time this year. I didn't find any sheds but what I did find I was really shocked at. I have been out in years past and just haven't seen these numbers. I saw at least 10 dead deer in a pretty small area. This is on private property that sees light to moderate pressure at best. Seven of these were last years fawns with only one of them being a button buck. The yotes had eaten on all of these. There were 3 adult carcasses. One was a 1 1/2 year old buck still in tact which I was hoping would make it a few more years. He had split brows and was a 5x4. I will include some pics of him. I did not see any wounds on him, but I am wondering if maybe he was gut shot. His stomach area was opened and messed up but the yotes hadn't got to him yet. I am guessing he was probably dead about 1 month. Then there was an adult doe carcass. The one disturbing thing that really got to me was a large bodied buck without a head. This was an obvious sign of a poacher I would say. It also got me to thinking. Do you guys think those other deer could have been the work of a poacher as well with all of these carcasses being in such a small area? It might have been about a square 1/4 mile area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deadbuck22.jpg   deadbuck3.jpg   deadbuck11.jpg  

Yes definitely could be. I find that a lot in area I shed hunt. It's in a secluded agricultural area,

You definitely cant say it was a long tough winter for them this year. Looks like you may have a problem on your hands.
    2013-2014 Tally
    Antlered deer seen under 60 yards: 0
    Antlerless deer seen under 60 yards: 6
    Total deer seen:11
    Deer killed:0/ Deer Missed:0
    Morning hunts:2
    Evening hunts:6
    Property/Hunts B:2, F:2, M:10, S:0, R:0

Id contact the local dow officer asap.

I would definately say you have a problem on your hands, I would let the landowner know about it too, if ya dont own the land yourself.
    no matter the language, everyone understands a punch in the mouth!

seems pretty weird, I'd say poaching for sure.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Yeah, like the others said it's def. worth reporting esp with the one with the head cut off. Sucks!!

I have found deer like that near my place too. Not as many in 1 place though. We came upon 4 one year that seemed to have died next to each other. Asked the neighbors if they were dumping, I let them know I was just curious and it was no big deal, no one knew anything about it. Most definetly one was poached in you case. I assumed mine just went there to die, for whatever reason, natural causes or bad shots. It was very near a pond and they will go to water when death is around the corner. Was it near water?
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I found the pictured buck on a creek bed, but it is a very small creek. The other deer were not near water.

Man that's really a downer. Just curious if you reported this or not.

Thread Information