Athletic Greens
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antlers dropping in your areas???

Covered some pretty good ground on 3-3-12, in Harrison Co. Picked up 5 antlers, (two sets and an oddball). Sub-par for this property, at this time of year. Our general thoughts are that the mild temperatures this winter have them holding onto those antlers a little longer. What do you y'all think?
    Wudyaget Custom Trophy Displays - www.wudyaget.com

Shred-thumb- I think your right on with the warm/ mild winter. I was shooting crows over the weekend with my 84 year old Grandfather, and through chatting he said this is only the second winter he recalls in his life that the mild winters just fed thru till spring.
    It has been my experience that the stress of the rut and onset of a cold winter, coupled with depleting food sources cause the horns to cast off early. What a weird year, im still watching 6 bucks every evening in a park walking around with racks ontop... hope they toss off soon or we are all gonna be fighting the greenup to spot them...

The wife seen a decent 8 point on route 21 heading into Massillon yesterday still packing. But I seen a buck in Cleveland with scabs on his head a few hours earlier.

The wife and I were heading out to Circleville yesterday 3/16 and as always my eyes are always looking and seen a herd stopped the truck and it was like counting sheep in your sleep counted 18 as they jumped the fence and for sure 3 were still sporting head gear. The unusual weather i agree has to have alot to do with them hanging on. Still not finding very many on our place.

My dog found 2 small antlers last friday while we were crawling thru a thick bedding area in a county park. Crazy thing is that 2 minutes prior to picking up the horns we jumped 4 deer and 2 of which were bucks still carrying both sides. Im now convinced that my worries of this warm winter and hot weather are going to leave us with a terrible shed season due to the green up....SUCKS!!!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    You may be right Slider0906 with green-up coming so quickly. Might make for a great season next year finding both new and the one's missed this year........that's if all the other critters miss them too.....
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Call me ignorant, I just won't answer you :)

What happens if it doesn't get cold? Are these things like teeth... the one behind will push out the old? Is there any way these guys can go without growing a new rack?

Okay, I'll sit back and wait...
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Very legitimate question Genesis 9:3. From some of the things I have read a lot has to do with testosterone levels and when they fall. Guess being this late in the year it sure makes you wonder though. You can do some searching but here is one quick article I have read over the years on shedding antlers:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/bi...-their-antlers
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis 9:3 View Post
    Call me ignorant, I just won't answer you :)

What happens if it doesn't get cold? Are these things like teeth... the one behind will push out the old? Is there any way these guys can go without growing a new rack?

Okay, I'll sit back and wait...
    yes on both, on pen raised deer it has been proven that new one's at times will push off old one's in some bucks

and even some bucks never shed them!
    thats rare but has been proven to happen

there have even been some bucks that never even grew antler at all too

mother nature can be tricky

Anyone stumble upon any sheds lately??? With the woods like a jungle stepping on them is about the only way to find em. I found 3 small ones this weekend while searching around for morels. And it seems like the sheds, the shroom season was over with before it began.... hope the turkey guys do better tomorrow, but since i saw them courting, struting, and gobbling almost 3 weeks ago i dont have much faith...good luck!!

Thread Information