Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Care To Help Out A NC Hunter Interested in Hunting Ohio Public Land?

Not the counties youre looking at but there is Salt fork state park in Guernsey county, plenty of acreage and not crowded during bow season, they have camp grounds and all for a do it yourself hunt too.
    no matter the language, everyone understands a punch in the mouth!

I have no information on the counties you asked about. You didn't mention what time of the season you would be coming. I hunt public land myself. One thing that might help you out would be to come do a little scouting during the off season if you can. Come the rut public land gets busy fast. Early season you might see one other bow hunter. good luck

I was thinking about taking a week off of work during the first week of November. However, with two young kids in daycare, they get sick a lot which means they bring it home to my wife and I and we have to stay home with them. So IF I have a full week of vacation by the time November rolls around, then that is the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHunter View Post
    Thanks guys. I just found this site for the first time last night and the wife kept bugging my about coming to bed so I didn't have much time. Anyway, I am 32 years old and married with two kids, a son (5) and daughter (almost 2). I am a die hard deer hunter that is obsessed with deer hunting and everything related. Unfortunately, NC doesn't offer many true trophy bucks like you guys are used to seeing. I have hunted for over 20 years and the biggest buck I have ever killed was a 212 lb 125" buck. We have great fresh and saltwater fishing, turkey hunting, duck hunting, etc. but NC just doesn't offer the die hard deer hunter much when it comes to big bucks. I have never hunted out of state but have been talking about doing an out of state bow hunt on public land for years. I have three preference points for Iowa as well so getting a license there should be easy whenever I decide to apply. My wife and I live paycheck to paycheck so that is also a factor. However, my family owns close to 4,000 acres here in Eastern NC so getting out on a farm and either hunting or messing around in the offseason isn't an issue. Got to run, but will check in with you guys again this evening. Thanks again!
    You are luckier than you can imagine.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHunter View Post
    I was thinking about taking a week off of work during the first week of November. However, with two young kids in daycare, they get sick a lot which means they bring it home to my wife and I and we have to stay home with them. So IF I have a full week of vacation by the time November rolls around, then that is the plan.
    I'm from adams co, there is some state ground that i know is good. But, if youre coming that week, you better call and get your hotel booked now! There are only 3 maybe 4 hotels in the county and they are completely full the entire month of November and the better part of october as well. Then if you do get a hotel, plan on sharing that state ground with a shitload of other people with the same idea you have!! Not trying to be negative, Im just being honest. Over the past 5 years it has gotten ridiculous down here. I'm glad I have what I have to hunt cuz the outfitters are making it impossible to hunt unless you have a pocket of cash!!

Thanks! The game wardens all told me the same thing about Adams County and finding a place to stay. A guy I know hunts a different county and he swears that finding a room at a hotel isn't difficult and that he has been hunting the same piece of public land for years and has never seen anyone but few squirrel hunters slipping through.

I live in NC and hunt Ohio I used to hunt in Adams and there is is some very good hunting in the public land but stay away from it when the shotgun starts it is crowded as what I have been told from others I only bowhunt mysef
    Reezen 7
    HHA B-Stinger
    Quad Ultra Pro Rest
    Axis arrows

Quote Originally Posted by eubie View Post
    Grew up in Jackson county and know there is a good bit of public land there between Cooper Hollow and Paper lands, I Live in Coshocton county and there is a lot of public land close or within a short drive. Do a
    All Mead/West Vaco/Scioto Land Company properties are now leased and they allow no public hunting anymore. Jackson and Ross have alot of public land. Get some maps, plan a scouting trip, and put your boots to the ground and you'll find a good place to hunt.
    "...the deepest, most permanent features of all great moments outside are the names, faces, descriptions, and emotions. The antlers on the wall...well, they're just bones affixed to boards. But what they represent, however, is flesh and blood - fathers and sons, friends spending time with friends and the the seasons of life when the people we love were still with us. These old antlers on the wall...well, take a seat, my friend, and I'll tell you all about them." -Rev. Zeke Pipher

Wow didnt know all that land got leaded up now, When did that happen?

6-8 years ago the land started being leased instead of being public hunting, Mead has sold twice since then, new company is called F&W Forestry, they leased in 2011 for $8.00/acre, there is a long waiting list.
    "...the deepest, most permanent features of all great moments outside are the names, faces, descriptions, and emotions. The antlers on the wall...well, they're just bones affixed to boards. But what they represent, however, is flesh and blood - fathers and sons, friends spending time with friends and the the seasons of life when the people we love were still with us. These old antlers on the wall...well, take a seat, my friend, and I'll tell you all about them." -Rev. Zeke Pipher

Thread Information