Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting arrow rests

Hunting arrow rests

I am just getting started with compound bows, and I know very little about them. I purchased a Bear Strike that was outfitted with trophy ridge accesessories. The bow seems to shoot really well. It came with a whisker bisquit rest. I feel like If I were to go with a drop away rest it would increase the accuracy because of less friction during arrow flight. Anybody have any advice or suggestions with this? Is there a better rest to go with?

Keep it I love mine...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Starting out it is a great rest especially for hunting you never have to worry about the arrow falling off. Yes the wb is tough on fletchings but blazers hold up very well. If you really want to upgrade your rest. I have a QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro. Its a full containment drop away. I shoot that on my bows and so does my wife and they do a fine job if set up correctly. But that is just the same for any drop away rest.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I just replaced my whisker biscuit with a capture rest which uses to brushes and a "lower cap" for the arrow to rest on. Prevents your arrow from falling out and the fletches (if aligned properly) never touch a thing. No friction and no arrows falling out. I'm really liking mine event though I've only been using it for about 2 months. I enclosed a link if you want to see what they look like.

http://www.newarchery.com/products/2...ture-rest.html

I'm curious to if anyone else is using these and what others think about them. Only issue me and my buddy have seen is an odd wearing pattern on the lower cap where the arrow actually sits. Thinking it might be an alignment issue though. His paper tune might not have been as good as we thought. Let me know what you think about these rests if you've used them. I like mine.

Well I don't know about the capture rest, but I can attest that I've been using one of these:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd9a545ec3e1c10f5a8796faf7b1e98d.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	7970

Only difference is that what I have is most likely version 1.0 I got great groups (6" @ 40yds) using field tips, but since I switched to broad heads, not so great :banghead:

On only a few shots have I seen the arrow flying down range like a dog swinging its tail as it runs... most of the time it sails right on down. I assume this is what you'd be figuring out with the paper?

I'm thinking a new rest may be on order... any thoughts? (I'm using a PSE Pacer)

Also, any suggestions on a bow shop in the Northern Cincinnati area?
    (Should this be a new thread?)

Genesis, your question is slightly different I would start a new thread so that it will get looked at.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Genesis, somehow build a qucik cheap stand to hang paper from. PVC, wood, etc. Just some way to hang it/keep it snug, in order to shoot thru into your target. It's paper tuning. Shoot a group thru the paper if you're getting tears either left or right, or in some case left/right and down. Basically paper tuning will show you if your center shot is off, which sounds like it is if your arrows are tailing. You should get bullet holes, fletching and point in the same hole. If you have a point then a rip to the right or left then your rest needs moved qhiever way it's tearing to. It's not too hard, but if you're new I'd go to a shop. They can get it fixed up quick. Target world i think is closest to you, but they sometime aren't very friendly. Stengers in Addyston is the best around cincinnati that i know of. I used to live in maineville by kings island and I made it a point to drive to addyston to only deal with stenger.

I papered my bow... as best I could a few months back... it didn't seem to make a whole lot of a difference where the arrow went - it may have sped it up a hair? Anywho, appreciate the advice... still thinking hard about a drop away rest though...

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis 9:3 View Post
    Well I don't know about the capture rest, but I can attest that I've been using one of these:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd9a545ec3e1c10f5a8796faf7b1e98d.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	7970

Only difference is that what I have is most likely version 1.0 I got great groups (6" @ 40yds) using field tips, but since I switched to broad heads, not so great :banghead:

On only a few shots have I seen the arrow flying down range like a dog swinging its tail as it runs... most of the time it sails right on down. I assume this is what you'd be figuring out with the paper?

I'm thinking a new rest may be on order... any thoughts? (I'm using a PSE Pacer)

Also, any suggestions on a bow shop in the Northern Cincinnati area?
    (Should this be a new thread?)

Genesis, Try AO Archery in Germantown. Andy Oney is the owner. Extremely knowledgable. I just bought a brand new Hoyt Vector 32 from him last night. Completly outfitted it, and he has a lot of item in stock.

I used to shoot a ripcord, when it broke I switched to Qad HDX.... wish I would have done it sooner. Don't get a ripcord...Qad makes a cheaper model that can bounce up and hit arrow/fletchings so watch what you're buying. goodluck
    "Work hard, succeed, or Dye Tryin"

Thread Information