Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

10/01/11 opening morning in Pa
    was 47 degrees when I left home, with rain looking sky all morning, and little to no wind!

hope temps stay this low and get lower!

well was a slow morning saw a few deer on the drive in on the farm all doe, and or fawns

only sat till about 8;45, nothing moving and mosquitoes were getting thick

I think i am in for a lot harder season, as waterlevel are beyond high
    I have a small stream that runs the propperty and 60+% of my normal deer bed on teh other side, the steam is normally only about 2+3 ft deep and about 10-15 ft wide
    right now its about 40-200 ft wide and about 10-20 ft deep, its un real, all the swamps are now like ponds, so what ever deer were bedding there ain't now unless they have a house boat!
    I think many of the deer are trapped on the other side of the creek
    so i am at the mercy of mother nature till the water levels come back down, and calling for more rain today and the hext several!!

trail cam pic, that most of my regular bucks I got pic's of daily for weeks now, are down to just 3 of the 16 or so that seemed to be on every day before the flooded waters
    and not even getting many doe pic's now either, and I normally have too many of them

and mosquitoes, talk about thick with them, never in my life have i seen them like this,
    going to be hard hunting till water comes down
    may have to relocated till then up north and that sucks.
    be back out this evening
    hope other have it better than me!

I've seen no rut activity as of yet. I've made it out twice the first night 9/24 I had a button buck walk past(I gave him a free pass) 10/1 I made it out for an evening hunt had a little forky walk through(another free pass) He ended up winding me and moving off to a corn field. I did however hear at least three other deer splash through a ditch that seperates the bedding area from the corn field. They were moving kind of late, but I was surprised to see they were heading for the corn as it was plantedlater than most and at this point it is still quite green.

10/01/11 (Sat) AM report- awesome morning, 38 degrees, nice consistent W wind, I sat in a white/red oak grove in the corner of my property. I saw 3 does, 4 small bucks, and 1 unknown deer (couldn't see for brush). Could have killed any of the does but there was too much deer movement to be shooting a doe and the bucks were too small, the one buck was a 2x4 with velvet, very odd looking, and was trailing the four does.

10/01/11 (Sat) PM report- awesome evening, high 40's and light rain with NW wind, I sat along a pasture field edge where deer follow a fenceline to cross it in the evening. I saw 8 does, 2 small bucks, and 3 unknown deer (too dark to tell). Could have killed any of the four does that crossed in front of me but my father in law has been seeing a decent buck in the area so I waited to see if he appeared, he didn't.

10/03/11 (Mon) PM report- 55 degrees with N/NW light, consistent breeze. Nice evening. I hunted the oak grove I hunted on Saturday. At 6:15 I kept seeing a deer's tail wagging in front of me about 45 yards through the brush. Finally a branch fell out of the tree and scared the yearling away. Then at 6:45 a BB followed by a 5-6 pt came out into an opening at 50 yds and ate acorns until dark. That was it. Beautiful evening to be in the woods though, squirrels were going nuts.

10/03/11
    no am hunting, had things to do, but at 6 am it was raining and only 33 degree's in my back yard, cold and wet!

this eveneing, got on stand at about 3;45, had deer already out in my foodplots, they busted me trying to get to a stand!

was 45 degrees, little to no wind, and a light rain!, and loioked like it was going to pour any time
    so i decide to sit in my one stand i have with a roof over it

at 4;30 had a small 6 ptr come by at 35 yrds, then follweed by another 6ptr, 10 minutes later
    they decided to do some friendly sparring for about 15 minutes, then went back to feeding
    5;10 pm, had a big Great blue heron land just above me on a branch say 3 ft above me, and take a huge crap, thank god I had that roof or i would have been pissed about being crapped on by that huge critter!
    5;45, had one of my best bucks come out 80 yrds from me, he is not huge by any means, but veru above average for my area
    he is a 18" wide 8 pointer, with about 6" bases, but thin and short tined, maybe in the 130's, he fed for over 20 minutes at 80 yrds then went back into the timber, he came back out same place with one of the other better 8's i have again in the 130's but heavier and only about 15 inches wide

they are going to be very tempting, as i really only have one deer I have seen this yr bigger than these, but they really need one more yr
    but with all the poaching i have and hunting pressue next to me, if i pass it could very easily be for nothing ,

then I had a few more smaller bucks, and a few does come out, only a few came into range though, but was an active evening

sad part is with all the flooded woods near me, all my normal hot spots are off, as deer are now entering food plots in wierd places due to water effecting how they can get about, and i guess where there bedding now as to before the flood!
    so most of my sets are not like they should be, now most deer seem out of range from them, will be hitting the climber i think!

10/05/11 evening hunt
    warm today 68 when I went in at 4 pm, steady 10 mph winds

didn't see a deer till 6;10pm, had a gropu of doe and yearlyings show up right under me and feed in the plot a totale of 10 deer all females, even the fawns were all doe, no buttons at all

then at last light had mroe deer pour out, but too dark to tell what they were

was 50 degrees when i left, and calling for a drop to low 30's tonight

but a high of close to 70 tomorrow, so a swing in temps now
    hope it dry up some of this flood water!

10-4-11

Light NW wind. Does seem to be moving really early adjacent to the crop fields browsing for acorns. Bucks seem to be coming out into the fields at last light.

Forgot to post 9-25-11 had 2 of shooters come out right at last light. One was the buck thats #1 on my hitlist, 170" 10 point I call "Kicker 10" because of his kickers off his G2's. I haven't been able to get back in that stand yet because of classes and no south wind. Once I get a south wind I will be right back in that spot. He seemed to be up early browsing for acorns in his staging area, then right at last light moving to the alfalfa field. Will keep everyone updated....

10/06/11
    didn't hunt this morning
    went to Cabela's
    BUt had a heavy frost this morning in my yard!

evening hunt, 63 degrees at 4 pm,
    didn't see a deer moving till about 6 pm, then they started to hit my corn, comng out of the woods in about 20 different spots
    tried to keep a count but too many mixingg in with each other
    I would say about 28-30 doe and yearlings and 3 small 6 pointers, that I could see, 2 of them walked past me at 10 yrds,and so did a few of the doe, but 80% of the deer were 60+ yrds from me in and out of the corn

was 42 degree's when i hit my truck at about 7;30 pm
    and calling for low 30's for tonight

Thread Information