Thread: 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

Hybrid View

Black beard.. We are getting a lot of the same reports. Hit and miss for sure. Should be observing more chasing, cruising activity by now I would think

same here hardly any does small bucks with just 1 mature sighting. I dont get it and the crappy thing is the 10 day outlook has rain all next week....

11/02/11
    evening hunt, was 57 degrees going in warm, winds about 5-10 amd switching directions at will it seems!

wasn't all that confinedt going in i would see any thing

got on stand at 4 pm, then winds were just wrong, and decided to move at 5, got in new stand, and saw first deer movement at 5;10, too far and too much cover to ID bock/doe??
    then right at about 30 minutes before last light, it was like a switch was lifted,
    deer were coming from all directions, I had two shooter bucks 50 yrsd down wind of me, kept thinking I was going to get busted, but they never cared i was there
    they stayed at 50-60 yrds till dark, sparing making rubs and scrape's
    then when too dark to shoot they walked right under me and feed for 15-20 minutes trapping me in the tree!

finally they moved off and i climbed down, had about 20 deer about me tonight, but most only came out past shooting light but atleast i had deer movement, something my place has been lacking lately!

went out this evening to a warm 65 degrees. Saw two doe at 6:15 and that was it. My friend although had a small six point come in and about 5 minutes later rattled and had a huge 9 come in. Long story short, tracked blood for 400 yards bleeding out both sides with still no deer.

11/03/11- Morning. Hunted a great stand site that has produced for me in the past, located between some thick stuff, and only saw three does at 9:15. Never heard any grunting, chasing, nothing. Very weird first week of November. Everyone I know is seeing a lot of bucks in fields tending does, but they are hard to come by in the woods. Buddy of mine in Waverly has been seeing good buck activity. Evidently I either smell bad or can't pick a hunting spot anymore!

Ill be out again tomorrow planning on changing a stand position at around noon and getting in my other stand by 1:30 and the wait is on. Although the bad thing tomorrow is there is suppose to be a 16mph wind but it will be blowing away from the bedding area. Im thinking it will a perfect time to mask sound and scent while hanging this stand.

Ok evening info

11/03/11
    56 degree's warm and sunny, low winds
    got on stand at 3 pm, saw first deer at 4;30 two yearlings, had many deer behind me but wouldn't come out

then at 5pm, had a small 6 pointer run a doe past me, then all I could hear was bucks chasing doe's grunting and running them all over all about me

had a HUGE buck 150+ chase a doe above me at about 60 yrds 3 different time, she kept about a leap ahead of him,

then at about 6 pm, I had a shooter walk out past me, but again at 65 yrds too far, cut across the food plot to teh other side and make a scrape, then go out into the big field above me
    about ten minutes after he left i had a nice 130 class 8 pointer, do like only he came right to me like on a string, I had about 9 doe/yearling in front of me too, so he came to check them and feed till dark in front of me
    this is a buck i am HOPING makes it till next yr, been passing on him all season, about a dozen times now or more from about 5 yrds out,

so I realy hope he makes it, as part of me would love to kill him now, but know he has ton's of potential to be huge next yr, a big frame now just shorter timnes and short on mass, but in another yr! he can be in the 150's for sure I feel!
    fingers crossed he makes it

over all a good nite on stand, second in a row now with deer movements!

hunted wednesday night had 2 does come running in and stopped rite under me i think there was a 3rd deer behind them but they winded me. Then about 6:15 grunted a small 8 point in and a monster 6 pointer which ran the 8 pt off. come gun season the 6 is going down he is past his ears and brows are at least 12 in. things are heating up

yestarday hunted the a.m. saw nothing jumps a couple on the way out

the p.m. weather was calling for variable winds so i hunted on the ground dragging a scent line. found some new scrapes and some monsterous rubs. at 6:10 i started making my way to the field to see if there was any actuion going on. got to the field and with in 5 min from where i just came from it sounded like a ufc fight 2 bucks were going at it hard core about 100 yards behind me rite in line with my brag line. then to the north 2 other bucks started fighting about 50 yards in the thickets. i got out there before they were done being that i was dragging the doe in heat and getting dark going to set up in this area tonight should be excitingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	7837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	7838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	7839Click image for larger version.