Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

Hybrid View

I went out second weekend in season. Saw 8 to 10 deer. Couple doe and fawn three buck. One nice shooter but never got within 100 yards of me. Saw two scrub heads sparring in a bean field. Did not go out last weekend because the weather was too hot. Going back out this Saturday and Sunday. Will update with what I see.

10/12/11

warm, upper 60's and about 5 pm started to rain! with a good 15 mph wind, making for sideways rain of sorts!

no real hunting today, had to go help the parents out and stay there overnite
    BUT I did try going back to a old spot I hunted yrs ago near there house
    its a uge public game lands, about 5 miles wide by about 6 miles long over the top 1/2 of a big mountain.
    has lots of roads you can drive, so I took drive up to it, and to where i used to hunt at,
    parked and went for a small walk with my dog
    we walked up on several deer even got to less than 10 tards from a few doe

was cool to see my old areas, as well as the fact they still held deer
    had I wanted and had a weapon, I sure could have killed a doe if i wanted!

on the drive in the colors are just awesome now, and seen many deer crossing the dirt road both driving in and out, no bucks though!

10/13/11
    again no am hunting
    made it to the farm at about 3 pm, had several deer out in the food plots already, looked likeit was going to be a good evening!

was 62 degree;s with a light rain going from heavier to a drizzle back and forth
    got on stand at 4 pm, with a steady wind of about 10 mph
    then about 6 pm it started to blow in all directions,

at 6:15 had a small 6 pointer come out at 15 yrds just below me on a field edge, stood there broadside for like 10 minutes looking into the timber, sure wish a big boy would do that,
    then he walked out to feed in the plot, he was out there a few minutes and then i had a doe come running out acting all nuts, with a nice wide 8 on her tail,
    she would run, stop, squat and PEE, then run and stop and pee, she pee'd 7 times in less than 10 minutes any where from 5 yrds to 55 yrds from me, and both the 6 and the 8 would walk over and smell where she pee's, then run at her, then she would run, they would feed and then repeat
    all in all they did this for about 20 minutes, then she ran off and they both followed, I could have killed them if i wanted

but this 8 is one that is about 130 inches, and just needs one more yr, as he has a tom of potential, he is about 18-19 inches wide, and a great frame
    and wasn't easy to pas on, but I made up my mind he is off limits on my place(My fellow hunting buddy's ain't happy but that tuff) he's the only one i told them they cannot shoot
    as I have few bucks with rack wider than 16 inches, so hoping he breeds some of his wide racks into my herd if he makes it!

rest of the evening saw nothing, ny deer are still way off there normal patterns due to i think all the water still from the floods!
    and was 56 degrees when i quit tonight, so still warm as well!
    back out tomorrow~

Went out tonight for a few hours saw 5 doe about 70 yards out at 615 I just couldn't get then to come closer. I seen 19 on the hour drive home. It was a nice night to sit other then the 15 mph wind the whole time. I only had 2 pictures on the cam since last Tuesday.

Our October lull has been going since September though. I think we are fighting land owner contamination though as they are changing the landscape for some reason where we hunt at. We are moving into another area for now to see what is going on.

After sitting in the wind Sunday morning blowing around in a tree (25+MPH) for about 3 hours and seeing no dear (big surprise), we went on a walk in the new area we are going to set up in. Seen quite a bit of tracks and worn down trails, even a couple really nice scrapes. We haven't seen much activity though since about early August when we were seeing a ton of bucks on the deer cams and only a few does. Anyone else hearing reports on the doe population being down?

Hunted this weekend in NE Ohio, yes in the gusting wind and rain. Not much rut activity observed, hardly any rubs, no scrapes and very little deer activity. Other posts suggest "October Lull" and I agree. I think the heat from last week plus recent full moon has them moving at night. Historically, activity gets going here around Halloween. I did see some fat squirrels though. Might just hunt them instead until the rut heats up.

10/18/11
    evening, very warm 67 degree's 5-8 mph winds

got on stand a little late today but was settled in by 5;10 pm
    beatiful evening, fall colors and all, sat next to a pond, got to watch several wood ducks feeding and seeming to me playing

saw one squirrel, and that was it
    was 58 degrees when i left, and wind about stopped
    calling for stormy weather tommorow

should have had deer out tonight but!! thats the way its been lately SLOW!!!

Same around here in northwest ohio, only been able to get out 4 times so far and havent seen a deer from the stand. Windy and rainy friday a day I took off a month ago of course. Decided to scout instead, found a couple good trails, a few rubs and some scrapes. Hunted again sunday night, didnt see a thing again but did find a new fresh scrape line on my way out. Starting to see a lot more sign new scrapes and rubs everywhere but no deer. Where I hunt lots, and lots of corn around hoping there all just in the corn. Time will tell.

What kind of xbow are you shooting mrbb??
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

been out since 3 all is quiet here in richmond

Thread Information