Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

out for the afternoon and saw nothing, only shooting I heard much of came from the game club, they were shooting sporting clays. When it quit didn't hear much shooting at all. Back to bow hunting which is good as not much shooting and I think it will be good, just that they are going to be bunched up so lots of eyes and ears. Good Luck everyone.

12/18/11- PM- Nice evening, cold, but with the calm winds and noisy leaves, it was nearly impossible to get close enough to deer in order to see them before dark at this point in the hunting season. Around here it seems as though deer aren't moving till close to 5:00 in the evening so you gotta be close to them in order to get a shot before legal shooting ends (ridiculous as it is). I was going to sit near a bedding area and by the time I got there at 3:30 some cows had spooked two deer out and they ran in front of me. So I went to get close to the next bedding area and was about ready to sit down when I took one last step and spooked a herd of deer which went running away. So I kept walking to the next spot and sat down. Didn't see a darn thing....nothing....nada....zilch. Squirrels sounded like buffalo. Very disappointing day, never saw a deer while I was sitting. I'm pretty discouraged right now. I had two nice bucks frequenting my property but one got killed on Tuesday morning of gun season and the other one hasn't been in front of my camera at my feeding site since Saturday morning of gun season so I would say he's dead also. No other bucks worth shooting really on my property. So I'm hitting the 2-3 other places I hunt and hoping for the best. Late December and January is always a very tough time to kill a buck around my area. The bucks just simply are hard to see, hang in the thick stuff and probably nocturnal.

Went out Saturday morning, didnt see much but found a very fresh scrape on the edge of a wheat field. Saturday afternoon set up on the trail leading to the scrape, saw 10 nice sized does come out into the field but nothing within 35 yards. went back out Sunday morning and the scrape was worked over in the night. The bucks are travel at night now, but the does are coming out just before sunset
    here

Was in the stand around 3:30 on the 31st... man it was lonely! Saw a few squirrels... spent most of my time thinking and a little working the grunt call...

With about 15 minutes left in the day I heard a huff and looked behind me - about 300 yards away I saw 4 or 5 white tails shoot up and bound the other way and out of site... something off to my right had them spooked...

I did see a rub or two that looked somewhat fresh...

Hunted Saturday and Sunday afternoon, found four new rubs and a new scrape since New Years eve. Super excited a buck is still using my area. Heard from the farmer that there is a real nice 10ptr that has been seen near there. Saw deer both days and had a small 8 at 10 yards. He gets a pass this year. Still got an anterless tag and either sex tag to fill. 28 Days remaining fella's!!!
    Limbsaver DZ-30, Carbon Express Terminator Lite, 100 gr steelhead, Tru-Glo, Tru-Fire

Saturday I was on the other side of the field (where I had seen the deer the last time). I was in the tree around 1:30 till dusk... once again, saw about 5 squirrels, no deer.

I sure wish I could take an anti-squirrel device with me while I'm bow hunting... they were rustling the leaves the entire time I was out there :banghead:

At another location I saw 4 does walk through... too far out for shooting though.
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

1-15-12
    Got into my stand around 4, cold afternoon but good weather overall. Had a doe group of 4 come in behind me around 5 and graze in a picked bean field around 30 minutes, too far off for any shots. Tough time of the year for sure. Probably go out a few more times before the season ends.
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

Spent all day Saturday on the hunt... around 2pm I went for a walk and scared up two does... the only deer I saw this past weekend... pretty slow...
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

01/20/12- Friday evening report. Deer have been eating at my feed site regularly, especially in evenings, including 2-3 bucks that need to grow a year but ones I've decided I'll shoot anyway. I poured 50 lbs of corn out Thursday at 4:00 PM and when I got to the stand at 4:00 this evening (Friday) it hadn't been touched! Very odd. Sat from 4:00 till dark and never seen nor heard a single deer. Unbelieveable. I have photos of deer every day for the last two weeks eating corn from 4:00 PM until after dark and into the night. I just can't imagine that no deer were hungry for corn with the temperatures dropping and a storm moving in at 8:00 PM. Just puzzled. Got back to house and what did I see? My camera flash going off every few minutes! (The stand is only 200 yards from house) They didn't come in until 30 minutes after dark! Wind was blowing away from where they bed (perfect East wind) so they must have heard me crunch my way walking in since the leaves and ground were frozen. This season has been miserable as far as buck hunting. Probably no hunting in the morning, 1/2 inch ice expected overnight, things already slick out there.

Forgot to say, never saw a single squirrel around the feed site, none. That is even more odd than not seeing any deer. A certain red fox that I am getting on camera regularly might be the reason for no squirrels. Found blood all over my trophy rock and around feed site a week ago, fox must've caught something for dinner!

Thread Information