Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

Saturday 11/5 - Was able to hunt afternoon so went to my number 2 stand at 1:30. Wanted to see what was going on, this stand is located in top edge of funnel and trail interchange! In front of me is back edge of ridge drop off and creek that raps around bottom section of ridge to my left, behind me is bean field. Tree is 20 yards from field and 17 yards from main trail. When base of climber is 25 feet, it leaves me 15 feet up from filed edge and 35 up from main trail. Had target practice going on next door for couple hours one sounded like a cannon, wow! Then about 1 hour from prime time had combine come by me picking beans, extra nice! Did have this years buck and sister just guessing come in after shooting time. Got a kick out of the young bucks grunts. Could not start getting down until 7:30 to keep this spot right. Will be going out Tuesday afternoon and then Wednesday will be in my number 1 stand all day (rain or shine). On the way home, seen nice buck watching cars go by before crossing highway!
    Patience and perseverance have a magical affect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."
    John Quincy Adams

Sunday eve hunt.
    Windy, mild meant 0 deer!! Really bummed. I thought I might catch some chasing right before dark but I was wrong, The warm weather is going to stink this week for evening hunts, but I plan to be in my stand because you never know.
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

Out for the day and only saw one small buck, 5 point chasing a doe, but not till about 5pm. 63 and still so not real good rutting weather. Have the whole week off so hope to get something this week.

11/07/11
    morning hunt info
    wll was 28 degree's and heavy frost, 5-7 mph winds
    got on stand 40 minuts before shooting light, was early this morning had high hopes!

well didn't see a deer till about 2 hrs into the sit(forgot watch so no idea on real times)
    had a small doe yearlying group pass me, 6 in all, no bucks tailing them??

then about an hr later had another group of does come by this time 5, and again no bucks tailing them
    sat till about 10;30

evening hunt info
    was 64 degree;s going in, steady 5-7 mph winds, got on stand at 2:45 pm hoping for a better evening sit!
    well that didn't happen

didn't see a deer till about last 15 minutes of shooting light had a small 6 pointer work his way right to me(wish he was bigger)
    then ha da 2 adult does, and 2 yearlying come out to meet him, the first doe, was all up in his face, and kept squating in front of him, and pee'd about 10 times right in front of him, he didn't seem to get it

then she started to chase him, and run about him in circles
    he started to get it, then she backed up to him!

he got it!! he tried to mount her, she let him get on top, and as soon as he did she bolted, she did that 3 more times
    then just started to run about like crazy with him all worked up, hot on her tail

pretty cool to watch, she at one point ran at my standing corn and jumped over 5 rows without touching a stalk, talk about a high jump!

and then she led him into the woods, and that was my night!

was 48 degree's when i left, very warm and calling for warmer weather the next few days
    and that sucks, things were just starting to get going, and now a slight heat wave!!
    to slow things down till too dark to hunt!!(legally any wyas)

try again tomorrow!

Saw one buck with a doe early this morning. At 9:30 the woods lit up with another buck chasing two does grunting all the way.

Just one lonely doe this evening hit the fresh cut corn. Not shot though but i man i wanted that freezer meat.

been out the past couple of days havent seen much something has definitely changed over the past 2 days will be heading out tonight. no day time activities on the cams

rattled in a decent 8pt yesterday, came in aggressive. rattled him back in an hour later. nothing this morning. been getting skunked in the evenings but mornings are heatin up. i think it needs to drop ten degrees and its on!!!

Went out this morning, about 50 degrees and wind coming out of the south at about 15-20 mph. Saw nothing this morning and on the way out saw 2 does in the corn field edge. A lot of corn still standing and when I checked the end rows there are paths all through the corn. Relocated a tree stand to the edge of the corn field and will wait till this evening to go back out. Checked some other fields of corn around the edge and seems to be a lot of traffic and they are staying in the corn.

11/08/11 morning hunt info
    was 33 degree's slight winds 2-3 mph
    tried a new makeshift blind i made, got all settled in at about 5:30 am

waited for day break and i tried one of those Tink's scent sticks you burn,

didn't see a deer till it went out, don't think it was the problem, just worked out that way

about 10 minutes after that thing went out, I had a shooter 8 pointer working his way to me nose all up in the air
    I guess trying to find what made the scent it put out
    he got to withing 40 yrds of where i had it, but was 60 yrds from me!
    he stood there for 10+ minutes looking in all directions, never seemed to see me, and I was down wind of him,
    he then just walked back towards a swamp to my right, never giving me a shot
    10 minutes later I had a another 8ptr walk in right to me, he was less than 5 yards from me, walked past me got down wind and bedded down , stayed there for about an hr, down wind of me at about 40 yrds, we both were on the ground looking indifferent directions, I was using him like a radar!LOL!~

ended the hunt at 10 am, had things to do, and he left at 9:45 so that was good!
    was 59 degrees at 10 am
    so HOT today!

11/08/11 evening hunt info
    was HOT 72 degrees hot!
    winds were about 5-8 mph with some heavier gusts, maybe 15 mph!

got on stand at 3 pm
    wasn't there long and heard all sorts of noise's
    wasn't long and i saw what was making them

I had a 350-400 lb male bear tearing up my small corn food plot,
    its about 8 rows about 150 yards long
    well he went up and down every row, and either torn the stalks down or layed on them, 80% of the corn there iis long gone from the deer
    but he checked every stalk, and picked the rest clean, knocked down about hald the standing stalks, at many times he was laying on them, fun to watch

then at 1/2 hr before sun set, he worked his way right at me, kept think, that was not going to be a good nite for deer movement with him so close, and making all that noise

well, he worked his way right to me, to hit the bigger corn plot, putting him right where I was hoping to have deer

well when he got to 10 yrds or less, i tried to spook him off, I whisled at him , yelled at him, grunted at him, and he would even look at me, or show he even heard me
    if I would have had someting to thorw at him i would have hit him!

well he worked his way into my food plot , now 40 yrds from me in the wide open, shucking corm on the edge of the field

getting to crunch time, and there he is

well, no sooner than I think thats it for deer, I catch movement 20 yrds below me

a doe with two yearlyings
    working there way right to that bear

they both feed about 20 yrds from each other(seen this actually many times too)

well then i had two more doe come join the party, and then a small 8 pointer,

well the bear didn't like all the crowd, so he walked to a different corn field about 300 yrds away! deer didn't even seem to care!

then , what I was hoping for
    the same big 8 from this morning was walking to me, he stopped at 18 yrds just behind a big tree, no shots prior due to cover!

I just needed that one more step, as how he stopped only his nose was in view!

then I was golden I thought!
    BUT he dropped his nose took a look at them doe 50yrds from me and took off on a dead run, no time to shoot,plus don't like running shots!! lol~
    then he ran that doe past me back and forth 6 different time, or should I say that doe ran past me 6 diffrent times, with him behind her
    never closer than 55 yrds!
    they did that till dark, and then some, then they finally left for the timber
    allowing me to leave!
    close call tonight

only have 4 more days of bow season here in PA and I have things to do two mornings and an evening

so its going to be close to tag soup for me in bow season if things don't go better soon!

Thread Information