Thread: Your first one - Tell us the story of your first deer!!

Hybrid View

Senior Member zach-the-deer-slayer's Avatar
    I was 8 or 9 when I killed my first deer. Earlier in the year I had gut shot a small doe, tracked it forever and it wasnt meant to be. Fast forward to the youth gun season. It was a cold day, flurries in the air, just an awesome day to hunt. My dad took me and dropped me off with my brother on an old fence line across from a 10acre patch of perfect deer habitat. We have killed a hundred deer out of here over the years. Anyway, I'm standing there with my brother waiting on dad to walk through this for me. Were waiting.... And waiting... And waiting.... *SNAP* there's deer coming out of every opening! I pulled up my brothers old 870 and laid it on the first deer I saw coming head on at me. *BOOM!* this deer turns around and goes back in, runs about 150 yards and dies. I shot it's leg off. I remember seeing my first spot of blood. I was on that trail like a dog, and just so happened one of the farm dogs helped find the deer! A big fat button buck! I was tickled to death, hooked, and proud all at the same moment.

We took that bad boy home, showed it to mom, then headed to the gas station! I was struttin like a banty rooster! All the gals in the gas station were talking me up something awful lol. After that we took him to be butchered at my long time friends place. He did it for free!

I'll never forget that day. I don't exactly remember my first bow kill because I've killed so many deer with gun and bow since my first but I'm sure I was pumped! I killed my biggest buck to date last Halloween with a bow, a 140" 8 pointer dogging 3 does! My first buck was a tiny 6 pointer, hit him in the shoulder and he got away. Dogs found him later on though, but I still take credit for the horns lol.
    SWAMP DONKEY ASSASSINS!
    We ain't assin around!

Just joined and I am loving these stories. Just thought I would add mine. I started hunting when I was 11. The first year I missed a small doe with a shotgun from 20 yards. I remember shaking like a leaf. Such a great memory. One year later I took up archery hunting and lved every minute of it. From the summer shooting to being able to hunt for four months. It was awesome. Unfortunately, I had the worst luck and I didn't take my first deer till I was 15.

In 2006, I had another gut wrenching archery season with no luck. As gun season approached my Dad and I planned our annual trip for a weeklong hunt (perks of being homeschooled) in South East Ohio. Unfortunately, right before gun season my month old cousin tragically passed away. Anyways, we were unable to make it to SE Ohio until Thursday evening. The next morning, we headed out to sit on stand. I had my climber and was 20 feet up the tree. Later that day we planned to do some drives and my dad was going to swing by around 9:30. In the first two hours, I heard my cousin on the opposite hillside shoot several times. As I sat on stand without seeing anything I became really jealous. "What if I had sat over there?" I kept thinking. As 9:30 approached I became more and more discouraged. Around 9:10, I caught movement to my left. Out of a draw came a buck. I caught antlers, but didn't dwell on them. At this point I didn't care how big or small it was. As the deer moved across the hillside in front of me. I steadied my 20 gauge and unloaded from about 50 yards. HE gave a mule kick and took off the hillside in front of me. I thought I had a good shot, but I emptied two more rounds into him. After running maybe 60 yards he piled up. I couldn't believe it!

I don't think I've ever gone down a tree so fast! As I ran up to him, I was in disbelief! This buck was huge! My cousin joined me and said my dad would crap his pants upon seeing it. My dad din't quite go that far, but it was a great experience when he walked up. After gutting him, I had an 150 yard drag to the truck. While dragging it began to pour down rain. I looked to the sky and laughed out loud. I was on cloud nine! God truly blessed me that I was able to experience this great moment with my Dad. This is something that I'll never, ever forget. In the end, he scored 149" and is my best buck to date. To all those who may be discouraged, keep hunting. It does get better. Good luck!

Thread Information