first year I hunted, had a uncle that said he knew how to hunt, after 2 weeks with him, going where he wanted.
he gave in and took me where I wanted to go,
first morning, at first light I killed my first deer, a small doe, at 100 yards with 1 sjhot from a 30-06, it was cold, had 2 ft of snow on the ground, almost couldn't drive in snow was so deep!
never forget that hunt! even thought it was like 25+ yrs ago!

first bow kill was a spike buck, at 30 yards, hunting by myself the next year!
the whole hunt was self taught, I found the area, had a 2 mile walk to the treestand I built!
it was a poor hit, gut shot!
so I tracked it some, then was going to look for help
as I was walking out I ran into a local guy I knew out for a drive in the woods
he was a great hunter and tracker, a retired guide from maine, and a ex vietnam vet( AKA crazy guy!, still is!)
he told me he would find me my deer no matter where i hit it!

we tracked it a mile or 2, found it still alive, I shot it a second time, and a done deal!!

we were now a good 4 miles from where I needed to get it, on the wrong side of a steep mountain!
thank god he had a truck, as I would have been dragging that deer for days!( too young to drive, and no atv's back then either!)
this guy dragged my deer to the road, we got his truck, and loaded it up, and he took it to his house ,and he butchered, freezer wrapped it for me!
then gave me a ride home!
He was a god sent, I would never have found that deer had it not have been for him!
he is still till today the best tracker I ever meet/ know
have that deers head on my wall, and its a trophy in my eyes!!

and with that my bow hunting illness began!
hope I never find the cure!