Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first one - Tell us the story of your first deer!!

Hybrid View

Your first one - Tell us the story of your first deer!!

Just curious to hear about your first kill, when,how and how long did it take you before you tagged your first deer? Was it a doe or buck? What did you use, bow, gun, crossbow,how old were you? ect. Also if your first wasn't a buck, how long did it take to get your first buck? This should be some fun reading!!! I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have!! Thanks guys.....If you do enjoy them... Then.....PLEASE!!! TAKE THE TIME TO TELL YOUR STORY FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY......CAN'T BECAUSE YOUR NOT A MEMBER?????..........THEN JOIN THE SITE!!!!!!!! 50 stories would be nice before the end of the season!!!!!!!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

first year I hunted, had a uncle that said he knew how to hunt, after 2 weeks with him, going where he wanted.
    he gave in and took me where I wanted to go,
    first morning, at first light I killed my first deer, a small doe, at 100 yards with 1 sjhot from a 30-06, it was cold, had 2 ft of snow on the ground, almost couldn't drive in snow was so deep!
    never forget that hunt! even thought it was like 25+ yrs ago!

first bow kill was a spike buck, at 30 yards, hunting by myself the next year!
    the whole hunt was self taught, I found the area, had a 2 mile walk to the treestand I built!
    it was a poor hit, gut shot!
    so I tracked it some, then was going to look for help
    as I was walking out I ran into a local guy I knew out for a drive in the woods
    he was a great hunter and tracker, a retired guide from maine, and a ex vietnam vet( AKA crazy guy!, still is!)
    he told me he would find me my deer no matter where i hit it!

we tracked it a mile or 2, found it still alive, I shot it a second time, and a done deal!!

we were now a good 4 miles from where I needed to get it, on the wrong side of a steep mountain!
    thank god he had a truck, as I would have been dragging that deer for days!( too young to drive, and no atv's back then either!)
    this guy dragged my deer to the road, we got his truck, and loaded it up, and he took it to his house ,and he butchered, freezer wrapped it for me!
    then gave me a ride home!
    He was a god sent, I would never have found that deer had it not have been for him!
    he is still till today the best tracker I ever meet/ know
    have that deers head on my wall, and its a trophy in my eyes!!

and with that my bow hunting illness began!
    hope I never find the cure!

I was first introduced to hunting by my old ladies step dad and step brother. At the time they both owned bows and bowhunted....but weren't that serious about it. They live for gun season! Big group of guys doing drive after drive after drive! I didn't know anything about hunting at the time so agreed to get my license and tag and go along. Of course I was never put on stand that year due to being new. Instead I was an all time driver. It was on the 6th day of gun season that I shot my first deer. I was a driver sent down a hollow that was dang near straight up and straight down! The driver off to my right was also walking down a hollow about 75 yards away. He must have jumped the deer because it came from my right. I looked over....pulled the gun up....rested my sight....and squeezed the trigger. BOOM! She took off running right in front of me and piled up 40 yards to my left! I was told no matter if you shoot a deer or not....you are to finish the drive. I finished the drive fist pumping and screaming under my breath! I was so excited! Once we got done with the drive and all gathered up....I told them that I was the one who shot and that I saw where she ended up so there was no need to track her. A couple guys went with me to help me with my first ever gut job. What an experience! They had me covering my face with blood and everything! I looked like a dagon umpa lumpa! Lol! Then the jokes began about how small this deer was I shot. I didn't care....it was my first deer and no one was going to burst my bubble! I have to admit....I could have put this deer in a back pack! Lol! Never forget that!
    My first year bowhunting came the following year. After shooting the old ladies step brothers bow all spring....I decided to by one of my own. His bow being about 5 inches to long in draw length for me and a black and blue 4arm sure played a big part in me buying my own bow! Lol! It was an old PSE that had to weigh about 10 pounds! I got it sighted in and hunted all year without killing a deer. I missed a bunch of deer that year....but I was HOOKED! Gun season came around and I decided to go....but all I could do is think about bowhunting. I would catch myself looking at trees that I would put a stand in....looking for bedding areas and everything else you would do in scouting an area to bowhunt. I just wasn't interested! Hearing lead fly over my head a couple times sure didn't help either! I ended up taking another doe that year during gun season....but it would be my last deer taken with a gun. I WAS A BOWHUNTER! Next spring came along and I had landed a good job and decided to save money to by me a brand new bow. I bought a ROSS....the bow I still shoot as I write this. I do have to say....I thought me missing deer the year before had something to do with the old bow I was shooting....but I know now that it had nothing to do with it....but after shooting my new bow all spring dang near every day....when season arrived I felt confident walking into the woods. I had a rough start to the season with very little deer sightings and no opportunities to shoot. It all came together on October 11th that year when I took my first archery deer....and it was a BUCK! Made a drag line....flipped the can a couple times and grunted a couple times. I could hear the deer coming before I even got the grunt tube off my lips! He came to a fence....stuck his nose up in the air....smelled the estrus....jumped the fence and began my way with his nose to the ground. He came to 15 yards in front of me where I had hung the wick I drug. I drew back and smoked him! It was the best feeling I have ever had! I heard him crash and knew he was done but I was going to need help dragging this deer out. I went to the old ladies step brothers house opened the door and yelled for him. He said....WHAT!?....I'm poopin! I said....I just shot a buck! I heard the toilet flush as soon as I said that. I don't think he even wiped his a$$! Lol! We jumped in the truck and recovered my first bow kill! I now call him stinky! Lol!

y first deer kill was a buck and was with a doe. i had hunted hard for 3 years straight ad didnt harvest a deer and think i only missed like 1 or 2 times. so i got into my stand befor daylight. i texted my cousin im in my stand he said yah me to. i texted him back like 30 min later right at day break and said i think your going to get one this morning not 5 min later i had shot and had my first deer first buck and first bow kill all in one he dropped 30 yards from my stand i was screaming and fist pumping i dont think i even climbed down my tree i think i jumped out hahah i had waited so long to take a deer and i got one and i had never been so happy. we loaded it up in my granpals truck he had just passed away 6 months befor and this was out first hunting trip with my grandpals truck and he was a huge hunter he has a 14 pointer from like 1986 hanging on his wall! we were ridding home got a tag on it and what not and when we always drive home we drive past my aunts work and the antlers were stickin up a little bit and he got stopped at the red light in front of her work and she looks out waves and looks in the bed of the truck and sees horns sticking up and says whos was it and i said mine and she got all excited she ended up leaving work early lol it was a great day in life for me.

first deer kill was with a bow and it was a buck

I am sitting here reading the stories, and I seriously don't mean any disrespect by this, but it is very amusing to me so far. Here's why. The first question asking if your first deer was a buck or a doe. Back when I first started deer hunting the only thing you could legally shoot was a buck, and gun season was only 3 days long, and don't forget the fact there wasn't that many deer back then. The next thing that got me laughing was the texting on the day of the first kill. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not that old, but you guy's keep proving to me that I am. LOL.
    But anyway, the first deer I shot was a small 8 pt when I was a senior in high school (1973). I had started deer hunting probably when I was about 14, so it took me three years to get my first one. I had only ever seen a couple of bucks in the woods up untill this point, none of which were in range. As a matter of fact, a joke amoung hunters back then was not to look at the does too long or your mind would play tricks on you and put antlers on them. That's if you were lucky enough to even see a doe.
    It kinda was a given back then that alot of kids took off from school on the first day of season. My uncle who was my hunting mentor couldn't get off of work that day so he told me to go ahead and use his old model 12 winchester 12 guage, no deer barrel, no scope, and the old cardboard shells from back then.
    So off I go towards the gas line that went up through the edge of our property. Best place of all to sit against a tree and wait as we did back then. After a couple of hours I decided to walk up the gas line to the top of the hill. (I couldn't do that now.) There was a path that went across the top of the ridge, good spot, still is. I was only there a few minutes when I heard a couple of shots down over the hill. I stayed completely still, and soon I heard the crunching leaves getting louder and louder. I looked in that direction and I saw the buck and a doe running up the hill. I waited untill they got broadside on a dead run and led the buck like I had done on alot of rabbits. Didn't know enough to try and stop them back then, but the first shot knocked him down (pretty lucky). I had to walk up to him and put him out for good. And here is one thing I will never forget. I leaned the old model 12 against a tree, dressed the deer, probably not a good job, and drug him to the house, about a half a mile through the woods. My uncle took off early from work and was at his house when I drug it into the back yard. Man was that a great moment! The bad part came when I found out that he came home early to go out on an evening hunt and asked where his gun was. Yeah, you guessed it I left in the woods! No biggie, I was young then and just went back up and got it.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Started deer hunting when I was 12 years old. In Michigan back then that was the soonest you could start and it had to be with a bow. I didn't get my first deer until I was 15 years old when I shot a button buck. The following year when I was 16 was when I shot my first antlered buck, a small 9 point, also with a bow.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by radicalxl View Post
    I am sitting here reading the stories, and I seriously don't mean any disrespect by this, but it is very amusing to me so far. Here's why. The first question asking if your first deer was a buck or a doe. Back when I first started deer hunting the only thing you could legally shoot was a buck, and gun season was only 3 days long, and don't forget the fact there wasn't that many deer back then. The next thing that got me laughing was the texting on the day of the first kill. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not that old, but you guy's keep proving to me that I am. LOL.
    But anyway, the first deer I shot was a small 8 pt when I was a senior in high school (1973). I had started deer hunting probably when I was about 14, so it took me three years to get my first one. I had only ever seen a couple of bucks in the woods up untill this point, none of which were in range. As a matter of fact, a joke amoung hunters back then was not to look at the does too long or your mind would play tricks on you and put antlers on them. That's if you were lucky enough to even see a doe.
    It kinda was a given back then that alot of kids took off from school on the first day of season. My uncle who was my hunting mentor couldn't get off of work that day so he told me to go ahead and use his old model 12 winchester 12 guage, no deer barrel, no scope, and the old cardboard shells from back then.
    So off I go towards the gas line that went up through the edge of our property. Best place of all to sit against a tree and wait as we did back then. After a couple of hours I decided to walk up the gas line to the top of the hill. (I couldn't do that now.) There was a path that went across the top of the ridge, good spot, still is. I was only there a few minutes when I heard a couple of shots down over the hill. I stayed completely still, and soon I heard the crunching leaves getting louder and louder. I looked in that direction and I saw the buck and a doe running up the hill. I waited untill they got broadside on a dead run and led the buck like I had done on alot of rabbits. Didn't know enough to try and stop them back then, but the first shot knocked him down (pretty lucky). I had to walk up to him and put him out for good. And here is one thing I will never forget. I leaned the old model 12 against a tree, dressed the deer, probably not a good job, and drug him to the house, about a half a mile through the woods. My uncle took off early from work and was at his house when I drug it into the back yard. Man was that a great moment! The bad part came when I found out that he came home early to go out on an evening hunt and asked where his gun was. Yeah, you guessed it I left in the woods! No biggie, I was young then and just went back up and got it.
    Same here, I was also a senior in high school in 1973 and got my first deer that year but it was in Virginia hunting on a 3 day trip with a friends family and it was a doe. I do remember my first buck though , in 1976 it was a small 5 pt. during shotgun season, and that was in vinton county, same year I got married.

I was 14 when i killed my first deer it was a buck small rag but old barly any teeth. I went with my father and his hunting buddy in tionesta P A It was early sat afternoon we were walking up a dirt gravel road to another spot to leave our stands go to lunch then come back and hunt. As we were walking up we noticed a single buck feeding in a field to our left i had my bow so i lowerd my climber from my back and started a stalk the road and field and road were divided by a brush or sticker bush row. About 30 yards up was a opening and they way the buck was acting he was gonna break into a run and cross at the opening i got my self into position and drew the buck started a light run and came out in front of us i yelled and led him released my arrow at that time shooting with no sights it seem like forever everything was in slow motion i could see the arrow in flight and watched it hit just a little back. My dad yelled you got him you got him he was pumped i was still taking it all in we walk up to impact spot and walked his trail it took about 20 yards to find blood but it was good another 50 we found the arrow about 8 inches penitration and it seem i hit main artery. This was a long trac in tionesta its all mountains up down up down we finnaly got to him and he still alive i settle my bow and put another in him he went another 5o yards and died in the creek small but very old 6 point. At that point i already had the fever but it got hotter from there i stiill have that mount 16 years later and will never forget that 30 yard shot on the run without sights not a shot i would take now and i have went to sights also but something about being introduced to hunting by your father then killing a deer with him by your side is pretty awsome no matter how many or how big the buck i shoot and i have shot some booneys i will always appriciate and remember that one the most.

My first deer was a westvirgina 8 point. I was 11 years old. My father and a few other family members hunted the first too days of the season then my dad drove back home and picked me up that night . I was abel to hunt wendsday morning because I was off school for thanksgiving. Wendsday morning my father takes me up the holler and taks me to an open field and tells me to go to the end of the field and go into the woods about 50 yards and find a log to sit on. He told me he would be about 80 yards from me and if I needed him to just walk over. As I was crossing the field the sun was comeing up enogh to see as soon as I got in the woods I could hear footsteps in the leaves on the flat below me I got in the woods maybe 25 yards and I saw the 8 pointer feeding on acorns. I pulled my 30-06 up and shot the buck in the shoulders he ran about 80 yards to the creek bottom and died. My father never made it to his stand he came running over thinking I had tripped and my gin went off. When he saw I was ok he asked what I was shooting at. I told him I just shot a nice 8 point buck. We went and got some help to get the deer out of the woods when everyone saw the buck they couldn't believe that I killed this good of a buck on the 3rd day of the season because this farm has alot of pressure and everyone is meat hunters in this area so a buck with 6 or more points is not a common thing. On opening day there was 6 bucks killed on this farm all spikes and 4 points. The second day nothing was killed and on the 3rd day my 8 point and nothing else that week. My buck was far from being a big deer he scores 95 inchs but for this farm and the 3rd day of very heavy hunting pressure he was pretty good and being in the woods for a total of about 5 minuts wasn't to bad either.
    you wont killem siting on the couch

Thread Information