Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first one - Tell us the story of your first deer!!

Great reading!!!!

Thanks guys........ your stories are great and were/are a blast to read, especially for someone still waiting to write his "first" story! Hope you enjoyed this tread as much as I did/do and maybe there'll be a few more stories posted!!!! It's better than reading the stories in the hunting mags!!!!!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

I took my first deer during the gun season of 1996 if I remember right. It was a doe. She crept up on me to about 20 yards. I was sitting on the ground overlooking a river bottom about 10 yards off railroad tracks.

It had been shortly after light when she came walking along the top of the cliff cut into the hill the tracks ran through. I was basically sitting on the trail she would have continued to follow if I hadn't put a 12 gauge slug dead center in her. She was facing right at me.

Well, I forgot to mention that this was my first year deer hunting as well, so, when she bolted off like lightning and started down the side of the cliff towards the river bottom, I emptied the chamber on her. I didn't know I hit her on the first shot. Shot 5 times at her total, before the 3 round restriction, and hit her a total of 3 times...2 of which were on the run, down the cliff, full speed. She dropped and died at the bottom of the cliff.

Adrenaline was pumping!

It was the following year, same identical location, I took my first buck with a gun as well. A small 7.

It wasn't until 2005, 5 years after I picked up bow hunting, that I had taken my first deer with a bow. It happened to be a buck at that. 9-point.

Great memories made and ones that you will remember for years to come. The buck stories are a little longer because I documented them well in a journal. Maybe I'll share them later.

Is there a 'journal' thread where everyone can share stories of their past experiences?
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 31 29" Draw | 65# Draw Weight
    Lotus 3-Pin | QAD Ultra-Rest PRO HD | Fuse 8" Stabalizer | Fuse Satori 5 Arrow Quiver | G5 Peep | TruBall Release | Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 | G5 T3 100gr.

I shot my first buck at the age of 12 w/ my Darton xl45 bow. It was on November 13th, 1988 at 4:05pm. This was my last day to bow hunt before the gun season that was to start on November 15th (I wasn't old enough to hunt w/ a gun at that time) and I also had basketball practice starting the next day.

I had encountered several other opportunities throughout that year, but always seemed to get too excited and the arrow would come off the rest at the moment of truth and the deer would spook, or I would miss. However, this time I tried to concentrate more...relaxed a little, picked a spot, and released because I knew this was my last good chance for a buck that year.

Once I saw the arrow actually hit the deer I went hestatic....whistling, calling for my dad, humming to the tone "Welcome to the Jungle"(it was popular in middle school that year)...you know everything you are suppose to do once you have a deer take off after they are hit....

My dad came over....lots of blood at first....then nothing. After an hour or so of tracking my dad finally yelled "I found your buck"......a narrow racked 4pt....(mounted on my wall).

It sure is crazy how I still can remember all the details over 22 years! That is why I love this sport.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am the worst hunter in the world!!!!

worst hunter in the world to my first deer (all in the same day)

Hello all, this is my first year hunting, I got started because my wifes uncle and cousin both hunt, they kept bugging me to go and i never really had much interest in it, then I decided to give it a try, I shot my cousins ten point cross bow a couple of times and was hooked, I went out a got a wicked ridge crossbow at gander mountain and all of the needed items to hunt. I got hunting privledges for a land owner in huron county, and on Sept. 25 I went out and scouted the area, the land is 90 acres with a swamp covering about half. the rest of the area is very over grown with thick brush weeds and prickers, after scouting the area 3 times i found lots of rubs and scrapes and really started to get excited. On novemer 13 I decided to go out about 1:00 pm and see what was going on out there, I had a tree stand set up there from the week before, but I am afraid of heights and decided to go to another area to hunt and not use the stand since I was by myself. I found a nice open area with a clear opening leading to a corn field, i saw a nice shooting lane and found a tree 35 yards away to sit and wait. At around 3:00 pm, A six point buck snuck up on me to my left, he was about 15 feet from where i was sitting. I raised my crossbow and relized that My safety was still on, at this point, i am shaking with excitement (i didnt expect that) so I take my safety off and aim, I then realize that I never turned on my red dot scope, as i turn it on the young buck runs away. I am now a bit upset, thinking how nice it would be for my first deer to be a buck. I text my wife " I am the worst hunter in the whole world" and explain what happened. she said" aww honey it's ok you will get one". So now it is 3:30 and I just know that this buck is telling all of his friends that I am there and not to go over there. I think that maybe I should go and try another day, but I decided to stay since it will be dusk in an hour and a half, at 4:50 I can hear leaves rustling in the distance, I use my grunt call and the noise is getting closer and closer. this time I make sure the safety is off and scope is on, I already learned my lesson with that, ten minutes later the deer appears out of the trail I saw earlier and right into my shooting lane. I waste no time AIM AND FIRE!!!!!! I hit him in the right spot, he jumped up about 6 feet in the air and took off. Now from all the reading I have done I know I am not supposed to get up and look for him, so I called my wifes uncle and tell him I just shot a huge deer. he said to go back to my car and wait until he gets there. An hour and a half later he shows up, now it is pitch black out. I show him where I shot the deer and we looked for some blood, we didnt find any for about 10 minutes, then just a few drops every couple of feet. he siad this is not good, there should be more blood then this, we continue to follow the blood trail and 30 yards away we see my bolt, covered in bright red blood, he says this is a good sign, now I am really excited, we continue to follow the blood trail some more only seeing little blood spots, after 2 and a 1/2 hours we are ready to give up, then as we flash the light ahead we see the dear layong on the ground, as I am behind my wifes uncle standing on the last blood drop, he turns around and says "oh my god, that is huge" we get to the dear and see a beautiful 11 point 6 year old(or so) buck laying in the thickett. I assist in the field dressing and drag my first deer to the truck. that is my story for my first deer.
    I will try to figure out how to post some pictures of my 11 pointer
    thanks for reading.

I was 14 when i killed my first deer it was a buck small rag but old barly any teeth. I went with my father and his hunting buddy in tionesta P A It was early sat afternoon we were walking up a dirt gravel road to another spot to leave our stands go to lunch then come back and hunt. As we were walking up we noticed a single buck feeding in a field to our left i had my bow so i lowerd my climber from my back and started a stalk the road and field and road were divided by a brush or sticker bush row. About 30 yards up was a opening and they way the buck was acting he was gonna break into a run and cross at the opening i got my self into position and drew the buck started a light run and came out in front of us i yelled and led him released my arrow at that time shooting with no sights it seem like forever everything was in slow motion i could see the arrow in flight and watched it hit just a little back. My dad yelled you got him you got him he was pumped i was still taking it all in we walk up to impact spot and walked his trail it took about 20 yards to find blood but it was good another 50 we found the arrow about 8 inches penitration and it seem i hit main artery. This was a long trac in tionesta its all mountains up down up down we finnaly got to him and he still alive i settle my bow and put another in him he went another 5o yards and died in the creek small but very old 6 point. At that point i already had the fever but it got hotter from there i stiill have that mount 16 years later and will never forget that 30 yard shot on the run without sights not a shot i would take now and i have went to sights also but something about being introduced to hunting by your father then killing a deer with him by your side is pretty awsome no matter how many or how big the buck i shoot and i have shot some booneys i will always appriciate and remember that one the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonegod View Post
    Thanks guys........ your stories are great and were/are a blast to read, especially for someone still waiting to write his "first" story! Hope you enjoyed this tread as much as I did/do and maybe there'll be a few more stories posted!!!! It's better than reading the stories in the hunting mags!!!!!
    Stonegod i have been watching your post most of the year so far and you seem like a awsome dude i cant wait to read your story keep hunting hard and smart and it will be sooner then later. Good luck man

First deer was a buck, probably around 92 I think...10 years old or so. My dad had never really hunted. He started because I wanted to. Shotgun season. I missed a doe right at first light at about 10 yards! Then early afternoon I shot a little basket rack 6. I was so excited! I was sitting on a huge rock and he came in up hill behind me. I layed on the rock with a perfect rest and shot...I expected him to drop when i shot (870 12 ga) like in TV, and when he didnt i started pumping as fast as I could! This was before plug days. Then I saw him drop! We walked over to him and it was a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. I think my dad was more excited than I was. Remember, he had never hunted either...field dressing that thing was quite the learning experience for both of us.

Hey guys doesn't anyone else have a first one story, yours, yours wives or kids? ANYONE!!!! Sorry but I just love reading these damn stories!!!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by radicalxl View Post
    I am sitting here reading the stories, and I seriously don't mean any disrespect by this, but it is very amusing to me so far. Here's why. The first question asking if your first deer was a buck or a doe. Back when I first started deer hunting the only thing you could legally shoot was a buck, and gun season was only 3 days long, and don't forget the fact there wasn't that many deer back then. The next thing that got me laughing was the texting on the day of the first kill. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not that old, but you guy's keep proving to me that I am. LOL.
    But anyway, the first deer I shot was a small 8 pt when I was a senior in high school (1973). I had started deer hunting probably when I was about 14, so it took me three years to get my first one. I had only ever seen a couple of bucks in the woods up untill this point, none of which were in range. As a matter of fact, a joke amoung hunters back then was not to look at the does too long or your mind would play tricks on you and put antlers on them. That's if you were lucky enough to even see a doe.
    It kinda was a given back then that alot of kids took off from school on the first day of season. My uncle who was my hunting mentor couldn't get off of work that day so he told me to go ahead and use his old model 12 winchester 12 guage, no deer barrel, no scope, and the old cardboard shells from back then.
    So off I go towards the gas line that went up through the edge of our property. Best place of all to sit against a tree and wait as we did back then. After a couple of hours I decided to walk up the gas line to the top of the hill. (I couldn't do that now.) There was a path that went across the top of the ridge, good spot, still is. I was only there a few minutes when I heard a couple of shots down over the hill. I stayed completely still, and soon I heard the crunching leaves getting louder and louder. I looked in that direction and I saw the buck and a doe running up the hill. I waited untill they got broadside on a dead run and led the buck like I had done on alot of rabbits. Didn't know enough to try and stop them back then, but the first shot knocked him down (pretty lucky). I had to walk up to him and put him out for good. And here is one thing I will never forget. I leaned the old model 12 against a tree, dressed the deer, probably not a good job, and drug him to the house, about a half a mile through the woods. My uncle took off early from work and was at his house when I drug it into the back yard. Man was that a great moment! The bad part came when I found out that he came home early to go out on an evening hunt and asked where his gun was. Yeah, you guessed it I left in the woods! No biggie, I was young then and just went back up and got it.
    Same here, I was also a senior in high school in 1973 and got my first deer that year but it was in Virginia hunting on a 3 day trip with a friends family and it was a doe. I do remember my first buck though , in 1976 it was a small 5 pt. during shotgun season, and that was in vinton county, same year I got married.

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    My first deer was a trophy five pointer!! I have lost the rack due to a piece of crap dog that I had!! Anyhow,It was 1995, I was 9 years old, I hadn't deer hunted in my life, I hunted the crap out of every type of small game there was with my stevens 67f that my grandpa had given me the year prior. Mom wouldn't let me go out by myself which was probably a good thing but the neighbor boy who was a year older wasn't allowed out by himself either. So we buddied up and started hunting together pretty much teaching each other what we thought we knew. So anyhow, Saturday night at church, My neighbor tells me that he's gonna skip school to go deer hunting on monday. So after hours of begging my mom to let me play hookie monday she finally agreed to let me go! So I borrowed 5 slugs from my buddy and he gave me an old grunt call he had, asked him where we were going, and he said "I'll let you go to my treestand, I know of another good spot I'll just go there and sit" So Monday morning I head up the hill and climb into my buddy's 10' ladder stand. Right at daylight, I see a glimpse of a deer back behind me, I looked and she was about 75 yards away, and I thought that was way too far to try and shoot a shotgun!(again rookie) so I let her walk through my shooting lane hoping she would come closer. And sure enough she got about 30 yards from me and turned broadside and stopped. BANG!!!! She ran over the hill never to be seen again! So I'm sitting there kicking myself in the butt when I hear a grunt!! And then another, and another!! I couldn't get that grunt call out of my pocket fast enough!! So I grunt back, and then he grunts!! I hear some scratching in the leaves and stuff so I'm getting really nervous!!! And then just like that, it was all gone....So I sit another half hour and my buddy comes walking to me asking if I got anything, I tell him that I had missed a doe but had heard a buck. So as were walking out, I show him right where that doe had come from, and just as I say "she was standing right, HERE" I look down at the ground and see a huge puddle of blood!! I said wow!! I hit her!!! so we follow the 2' wide blood trail about thirty yards down over the hill, and there she was!! So I thought!! I grabbed her by the ear and pulled her head up and, there was antlers!!! 5 points!!! He was so dark racked that I couldn't tell he was a buck! and he was letting out some death grunts and I was trying to call him in!!! Definately wont ever forget that hunt and is still one of my favorites of all time!!! Wish I still had his rack!!! So after about 5 years of gun hunting and shooting a few respectable bucks(100-110" 8 pointers) I upgraded to a bow!! and fell in love!! So after I got my first bow, I told myself that I wasn't gonna shoot anything small and was only shooting a giant! So after 4 or 5 years of tag soup (I did kill quite a few does but no bucks) I decided I would lower my standards and shoot anything respectable. So one friday evening, while I was on a date with my now wife, my best friend went hunting in the pouring rain out at my parents farm and was going to try a new spot we call "the bowl" So I come home from my date and my best friend says "youre not going to believe what happened to me tonight!" he said "I had a really nice eight pointer at twenty yards making a rub or scrape one, and just as I was grabbing my bow I hear a stomp at the base of my tree, I look down and it's a GIANT ten!" of course I told him he was full of crap and he swore he wasn't! So anyhow, the next thursday, I called him while he was at work and said, "hey you care if I go back there to the bowl and hunt this evening? I'd like to get a crack at one of them bucks!" He of course being a true friend said "yeah, it's hot out so you probably wont see nothing but go ahead!! Its your farm!" So I head to the stand, my girlfriend at the time now wife was mad at me and had wished that I didn't see anything! anyhow, I'm sitting in a tree, and see two does coming my way, they come in to twenty yards and the big nanny spotted me! So after two solid minutes of her blowing her head off I decide I'm gonna try and grunt at her to her to run off or something.. So I grunt, and I hear a buck grunt back!! I turn around and its that giant ten!!! he runs that doe around for a few minutes and eventually 30 yards in front of me, I release and watch the arrow go in him, A HORRIBLE shot!!! right in the hind quarters!!! I was so happy and mad at the same time I didn'tknow what to do!! So I get down, nock another arrow, and go check things out. I find my arrow and look up and there he is!!! Dead as a doornail!!! And he is even bigger than I thought!!! I literally run back to my house and immediately call my buddy!!! He was just as happy as I was and left work immediately!! He truly is a giant and my pride and joy!!! You all know my buddy as villebilly, and to this day I still owe him a 173" deer!!

Thread Information