PDA

View Full Version : Wild boar tips

dayton outdoorsman
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I want to share some wild boar info with the members here

the first thing I always tell people, Boars almost always keep traveling the direction they are going very rarely they turn and go in opposite direction if they are going north and you are coming on them going south you will need to turn and head them off ambush style ( get ahead of them and plan the attack) I cannot answer why they travel the way they do, if you get in front of one or one charges you either side step them by 3' , hurdle them( the least safest) or jump on the side of the tree you need atleast 3' MIN CLEARENCE up down or sideways . Hogs will almost always charge or try and OR go around you but like i stated ! very rarely they will turn and run where they came from think of pigs in a hog lot ,wild boars react the same way BUT MORE VIOLENTLY, THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!!!!

I ALWAYS recommend hunting them on atv's , horses etc etc

unless you have dogs they will be hard to locate but with time and patience you can find them in the right places there is one trick to baiting these hogs get dried field corn and soak it in fuel oil I have no idea why hogs love fuel oil but they cannot leave it alone

In Ohio the best place is wayne national forest more specifically between New Straightsville and Nelsonville

keep in mind when hunting wayne national forest you cannot take your transportation off the trails this law makes it even more challenging

IF anyone is interested in hunting let me know I am trying to get groups together for regular hunting

hope this helps some and gets a few people interested

superbuckeye
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd be interested in going at some point, but I don't have an atv or horse.

dayton outdoorsman
06-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont own one either my buddy owns one and we ride share good thing about these new atvs they have room for two I hope to purchase one within the year

dayton outdoorsman
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
the tall tale signs picture one is a great pic for distant locating

picture 2 shows cutting some may ask how do i know it's a hog look at the tree for black wallow muck
picture 3 shows the wallow and the tree used for a bath towel

dayton outdoorsman
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
once you start to locate the trees then look for small wallows the wallow in the photo above is extreme for ohio, what you will find is more like this

dayton outdoorsman
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
you come across a large amount of droppings in one area, you can be pretty confident that you are very close to a major feeding area. Look around and get a good idea of what they are eating and where the best place may be to setup. Below is a picture of some old droppings. Notice the grey appearance. Newer droppings will be much darker and have an unmistakble odor that can be smelled by a hunter from a good distance.

also notice the black muck color on the vegetation

superbuckeye
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
great pics. thanks for showing us what to look for.

dayton outdoorsman
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Glad to share and to be honest it's probably the only topic I can share here as I am inexperienced with bow hunting in general but thought i would give bowhunting a try , I have been around plenty of friends and family over the years who shot bow I just never did it 38 years old and a rookie I'm sure i have some hurdles to jump...lol

my bow is on the fed ex truck as we speak :thumbs:

holywho
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Keep these tips coming, when I get settled in La hog hunting is going to be priority #1.

Curran
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd be up for a hog hunt.... keep us posted if you're planning a hunt sometime. Mmmmmm bacon :set1_pot:

Great information!!

:cheers:

group um up
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I am very interested in Hog hunting let me know when and where. I will be there . If you need to talk to me Anyone you guys I live in N.E. Ohio my number is 1-440-964-5189 Feel free to give me a call so we can talk and maybe get together for a BBQ and drinks. Us the kids and the wives. Anyone let me know . ok ? Thanks for the tips keep um comming I am very serious about hog hunting .

RolandoRoxas
09-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Sometimes boars are unpredictable and they would attack you once you're guards are down.

Hassi
02-06-2013, 02:04 AM
These points are new for me.
I will keep them in mind and try to apply on my next tour.

Have any site which provide similar info like that?