PDA

View Full Version : LaDue

va2
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Did anyone hunt Ladue during the 08 deer season?

Mike F
05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I haven't, but where is that.

ohfrenchy
05-30-2009, 12:15 AM
I am new to OH and I was thinking of checking out parts of La Due to hunt for this year.

va2
05-30-2009, 08:27 AM
It's in Northeast Ohio

Mike F
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Being in west central is probably why I hadn't heard of it, thanks and good luck.

Slashbait
05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Once duck season starts, that whole area around the river becomes a zoo till the middle of December.

ohfrenchy
05-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Slash,

Even the southern part of La Due along the river? I am talking south of 422.

va2
05-30-2009, 05:18 PM
If Ladue sucks then what is the best public land area in the northeast for bowhunting?

Slashbait
05-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The area south of 422 is also really busy during duck season because its deeper and wider. So the can get bigger boats with bigger motors in there. The only thing that might change is that the resturant on 422 that used to alow boat hunters to launch there, is not going to allow it any more. They can still launch at rapids road launch but its a haul . There are some areas of the Akron Water shed that are back from the main river that could be hunted. ( Aqulla and rapid rd) But trust me during duck season on weekends it will sound like a war around there.

nomad_archer
06-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I spent most of this season hunting areas south of 422 because they looked really good during my early season scouting. But I will tell you dont spend too much of your time down there because the small game hunters run those patches of woods with there dogs almost constantly. I found this out the hard way. So between the small game hunters and the duck hunters there isnt alot of quite time and the deer (i didnt see any) are few and far between. I have had the best luck early in the season off of rapids road and 700 but that was only in the early season once duck season starts its tough and after shotgun season you may be better off finding a new area because the amish run and gun both all the public land on 700 and rapids road and shoot anything that moves :(

blackbeard
06-02-2009, 12:10 AM
any other ideas for public land in NE ohio for this fella?

nomad_archer
06-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Look at the land around rapids road for early bow. Depending on locations Grand River maybe an option but its a little farther east. Im sorry to say it but most of the public land in NE Ohio is not great if you want to see decent quantities of deer. I've hunted different Wildlife areas for the past two years and the best i've come across is off of rapids road which isnt saying much. This year I will be looking a little bit farther south around akron/canton for public land because that is still in reasonable driving distance for me to do day trips these are about an hour and for me it is about an hour to get to grand river so the decision is pretty simple. I am going south. Im sorry I cant be of more help but I spend alot of time and hard hunting to come up empty on all occasions and this past year I honestly did not see a deer in ohio. I know its not me because I can get on deer without a problem when I get into PA. Different terrain if that makes a difference I dont know.

va2
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info!
If I do hunt the Notheast of Ohio I will behunting around Oct 13th. When does small game open?

muskrats
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I never had much luck around LaDue. Like nomad_archer the small game hunter are like a swarm of miskitos when season comes in. I got my tree stand stolen off the public land on rapids road about 2 years ago. I really don't have many public land spots to hunt since most of it gets hit pretty hard. Not far away on Auburn Rd there is a state game land called Auburn orchard. I never really hunted there but, it looks good. I believe there is a map of it on the Public land section of the forum.

nomad_archer
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
muskrats its auburn marsh.  It is bowhunting only for deer.  Again this spot gets hit pretty hard and as the name implies it is very marshy.   I found some pretty good sign there last year but never ended up seeing a deer.   The small game hunters run there dogs alot there as well because the cover is extremely thick.  But there may be deer in there I just never saw one come out of there.  I need to do more investigating out there cause Im sure the deer are far and few between but they are there Im sure.  The biggest problem there is most of the land is underwater so you have 100 yards or less  from the road to the water and the trees are second growth hardwoods so it is pretty tough finding a good tree for a stand.  With a little more investigating it may work out.  I dont want to be negative but this year I will be trying off of rapids road early when they have the beans planted.  But after small game starts I will be moving else where.  Public hunting in NE Ohio is tough there are no ifs ands or butts about it.

For ladue right around the rt 700/gingrich I think it is intersection there looks to be some good woods that need some investigating this off season wanna go for an investigatory walk?

hortontoter
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought that there were no firearms allowed in Auburn Marsh, small game or otherwise. The way the signs read to me the whole area is archery only for all game. I've been wrong before and may be again.

You guys should check out West Branch in Portage County. Not that the place is over ran with deer, but there is a huntable population there. Lots of acreage and diverse habitats.

But, why hunt on public property? Get out and find a few farms in Portage or Stark County and knock on a few doors. With a little luck you will find a few places to hunt.

I've found most of my hunting spots on private land by hunting woodchucks. Hunt chucks in the summer and by fall many times the farmer will invite you to deer hunt his property. Best bet is to hunt with a rimfire rifle to keep the noise level down and not disturb the livestock or family members.

My dad and I just picked up a new property last week. My dad was setting in a lawn chair near a country road shooting chucks for a property owner that allows us to deer hunt. A car came by and saw him. The car stopped and a younger lady approched him with this question. "Are you shooting groundhogs"? My dad said yes and she asked if he would shoot some on her property. She was starting an organic farming operation and wanted the chuck population thinned. My dad told her that him and I would be glad to shoot a bunch for her. She offered to pay us to do it. My dad said he would not take her money but would like to have permission for him and I to archery hunt for deer on the property. Another done deal, she agreed immediately. So sometimes places to hunt literally fall in your lap.

tom viserta
06-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree with you on that, you ended up with a home run for hunting, way to go :thumbs: :thumbs:

superbuckeye
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Horton, that's awesome! Pretty neat how those things just happen sometimes.

rednecklb69
06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
how far northeast are you? i live in vermilion and if we wanna hit up public hunting we usually go to mohican.

Z7Mcclain92
01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
I hunt ladue and have great luck took 4 deer out of one spot there last year all with my bow and before gun season all about finding the right spots where no one else goes or travel by canoe or boat. I took a mature 20 1/2" wide 6 pointer outta one of my stands 9987