PDA

View Full Version : all natural ground blind.

redneckross
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
although i have never done this i recently talked to about 5 people that swear by this.

just take 3 or 4 pieces of galvanized pipe or pvc. cut them to 4 or 5 ft lengths. stretch out some chicken wire 12-15 ft. then zip tie the pipe to the wire. leaving about a foot of pipe below the wire to stick in the ground.

set it infront of a good sized tree and make a square(4 pipes) or triangle(3 pipes) out of the chicken wire. sit on what ever you prefer, bucket, ground or chair. and cut out a 12" x 10" hole about eye level so you can shoot through it.

set this blind in the spring and by deer season the ground vegitation like grasses, honeysuckle, grape vine type stuff will grow up through it and create a natural looking blind. when some vegitation falls in the winter the plants that grew up through the wire will be standing since its stuck in the wire.

i think i might try this one!

holywho
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Sounds good to me Ross, I mat try somthing like that myself. I always was more comfortable on the ground.

superbuckeye
01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
neat idea and sounds like it would work like a charm!

buckbuster217
01-21-2009, 08:26 PM
sounds good and really makes sense, I have a couple of spots that I could use something like that, I will probably try it in one of the spots.

redneckross
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
im going to pick their brains about this a bit more.

i think it would bowk best on the edge of a field where you have all kinds of grasses and scrub brush and vines that grow like crazy every year.

buckbuster217
01-23-2009, 11:38 AM
That is one of the places that i will try, its a good spot but no trees big enough to climb was going to put up my ground blind but I think i will try this instead, will let everyone know how it goes, when does everyone think you should put it up, I might try and get it put up as soon as my shoulder heals up, that way i will get it in by spring green up

Big_Holla
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah it sounds like it would make for a great blind. I'm like you though Ross, it would probably have to be on the edge of a field or in a place that gets enough sunlight to let the underbrush grow.

superbuckeye
01-23-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking this could also be done with one of those wire fence like cow panels.

redneckross
01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
i would get it up as soon as the snow is melted off or before spring green up. that way it is already there to act as a climbing point for vines and grasses.

i was thinking one may want to clear a small spot of dirt at the base of the wire and plant a few packs tall growing grass or vine seed in the spring. then you know the vegitation will be there.

superbuckeye
02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
So, is anyone gonna try this this year? I was thinking about BB's opportunity to use some of the tree damage to do this.

buckbuster217
03-22-2009, 07:45 PM
went out today shed hunting and to build this blind, got it all put up, its about 3 and a half foot tall or so and about 4 foot wide and deep, I ended up using some old chicken wire fence and some 1 inch PVC pipe, and of course when I was done I got the camera out to take pictures the batteries had crapped theirselves, I will be going out next Friday to take redneckross's advice and plant some seed around the base of it, anyone have any advice on what kind of seed to use, I would also like some advice on how to maybe "camo" the PVC pipe. :thumbs:

Genesis 9:3
11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I did something really similar as a kid... we had some leftover wire fencing one fall so I stuffed all the holes with leaves... you could carry it around, possibly even roll it up loose- and if you laid down in some sort of depression and put it on top of yourself, you could hardly tell it was there. I'd be willing to assume the same would apply here!

In a lot of places the trees are so thick you aren't going to get the undergrowth coming up your fence material like you want. But you can always stuff the holes with leaves or grasses if you want to.

I do like the idea of cutting a hole to shoot through though! I like it a lot!

fish2
07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
really good idea. you could even take it a tad bit further and make the entire frame out of PVC Pipe and then wrap it in the chicken wire. then using 1in pvc pipe make your make a frame for your shooting windows cutting out the chicken wire and zip tying it to the pvc pipe. Great idea and thanks for sharing it.