PDA

View Full Version : How to check wind.

muskrats
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Theres a lot of little things on the market today to help you check the wind like fuzzy you pull out and let float or a bottle with some powder. What I do is just take a old lure squeeze bottle in my cases I have a old dirt cover scent bottle and I just put some baking soda or baking flower. Then when I want to check the wind conditions I just put it out give alittle squeeze and a puff comes out and floats off with the wind.

huntingmaniac59
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I got something in the mail from one of the sponsors on here. I think their name is Windevice. So im going to put there product to the test this year!

bowhunter1023
10-21-2008, 08:33 AM
A good fart usually lets me know if I'm safe or not :set1_rolf2:

I use the wind checkers that Hunters Specialties produces. I buy them in bulk to save money.

Big_Holla
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I sometimes take a tiny piece of leaf or bark and let it flutter down. Even a few feet of movement will tell you the direction. In the past at some of my old stand sites I would take a thumb tack with a long piece of thread attached and stick it into a horizontal limb. Worked great and usually lasted for a couple years.

Split_G2
10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
In the past at some of my old stand sites I would take a thumb tack with a long piece of thread attached and stick it into a horizontal limb. Worked great and usually lasted for a couple years.

i have done the very same thing before as well Holla, great idea. also just tying a small piece of thread to the bottom limb of your bow will work as well. now, i just use the same as Jesse but i just re-fill them with baking soda instead of buying new bottles over and over!!! :cheers:

Huntaholic247
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
i have a small squeeze bottle filled with scentless white powder that i got with a primos hunting package. works good

blackbeard
11-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I would a powder bottle as well if it is light, or my breath!

mrbb
12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a 6 inch piece of cotton string, tied to my stabilizer, it is super thin, and I can see it by just a glance while I am on stand!! been using this for years!!

Z7Mcclain92
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I use a lighter if the wind isnt to heavy the flame will point in the direction the way the winds going and heat my fingers and hands up if they get cold, and usaully a good bic lic will last all year

Big_Holla
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I use a lighter if the wind isnt to heavy the flame will point in the direction the way the winds going and heat my fingers and hands up if they get cold, and usaully a good bic lic will last all year

Hmmm, never thought of that one Z7Mclain92....good idea!

Griz
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I use milk weed that has dried. Sometimes the wind direction at the stand is not the same 20 ft out. So with dried milk weed it floats for some distance. You can check wind out as far as you can see. You'll be amazed at what wind does in different locations. Also milk weed cost nothing other than a little time gathering and drying.

Big_Holla
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I use milk weed that has dried. Sometimes the wind direction at the stand is not the same 20 ft out. So with dried milk weed it floats for some distance. You can check wind out as far as you can see. You'll be amazed at what wind does in different locations. Also milk weed cost nothing other than a little time gathering and drying.

I was trying to think of what those pods were and you answered it Griz! Thanks!