PDA

View Full Version : In the stand

00buck
10-06-2016, 06:01 AM
Who is going to be in the stand this weekend with a cold front coming in due to the storm I will be in it starting today threw Monday good luck guys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
10-06-2016, 06:09 AM
I am going to try and be in it Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings and Monday morning and evening.

00buck
10-06-2016, 07:44 AM
I am going to try and be in it Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings and Monday morning and evening.
What County are you in I am hunting in Morrow County right now but tonight will be in Delaware

zachc
10-06-2016, 11:42 PM
If everything goes right I will be in the stand again Saturday morning...

00buck
10-07-2016, 09:23 PM
I will be out but it better be cooler sweated my ass off today

zachc
10-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Hahaha! Lol. The cooler temps are already moving in. About 7 hours and I should be set up waiting on the sun to come up and a nice fat doe to roll through!

ManOfTheFall
10-08-2016, 12:05 AM
What County are you in I am hunting in Morrow County right now but tonight will be in Delaware

I am in Tuscarawas County.

00buck
10-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I have seen a total of 0 deer today so far pretty windy out

zachc
10-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Hopefully your luck got a lil better 00buck. I was set up waiting on the sun at 6:13 this morning. I had, pretty sure, one walk basically right under the stand way before light. Then from about 8:45-10:15 I saw 4 different bucks, 2 small ones and 2 decent ones but still to small to shoot for me. Was able to capture some good video footage of 3 of them tho. The first one was a small 6 who rubbed a tree to death for literally 10 minutes 20 yards in front of the stand. Plus I was able to locate a couple nice scrapes on the way out of the woods. Overall I was very pleased with the morning, but still wanted a nice doe for the freezer! Lol. Anyone else hit the woods today?

00buck
10-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Hopefully your luck got a lil better 00buck. I was set up waiting on the sun at 6:13 this morning. I had, pretty sure, one walk basically right under the stand way before light. Then from about 8:45-10:15 I saw 4 different bucks, 2 small ones and 2 decent ones but still to small to shoot for me. Was able to capture some good video footage of 3 of them tho. The first one was a small 6 who rubbed a tree to death for literally 10 minutes 20 yards in front of the stand. Plus I was able to locate a couple nice scrapes on the way out of the woods. Overall I was very pleased with the morning, but still wanted a nice doe for the freezer! Lol. Anyone else hit the woods today?
Didn't see anything today maybe it is time to try somewhere else will have the boy with me tomorrow morning

zachc
10-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Well that's sucks. Maybe the morning will bring better luck.

zachc
10-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Anyone out?

ManOfTheFall
10-16-2016, 12:22 AM
Saturday morning was a bust, didn't see any at all. Next time out might be Monday evening.

zachc
10-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Sure this hot weather didn't help any! Lol. I won't be able to get back out until at least next weekend, which prolly won't be bad cuz of the weather. But gotta try to get my truck back together before the cold hits. Should be able to this week or next weekend.

mrbb
10-17-2016, 06:06 PM
weather is just so up and down any more, its crazy
was 28 in the AM here on Friday, and almost 80 here today>
went from thinking we were off to a GOOD Normal fall, to , now its like summer time again?

I wish weather was more like it was 20 yrs ago
when summer was summer, Fall was Fall and winter was winter
could count on temps for all seasons to be close

mow it can be 80 in dec and 40 in july here?
CRAZY! and it suchs at the same time!

zachc
10-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Yeah I agree mrbb. Especially the last handful of years, I know that the weather has played a huge part in screwing with the rut. IMO hot and cold temps bouncing back and forth, threw a lot of bucks cruising at night instead of during daylight hours, not all of course but my trail cams here agree with me. 84° here today and tomorrow and then 61° Saturday, wtf? Guess the one good thing is you can always plan on hunting one of the cold fronts that push in and drop temps 10-15° from one day to the next. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of it this weekend.

ManOfTheFall
10-18-2016, 01:40 AM
I will probably be in the stand this morning and Wednesday morning regardless of weather. Then I probably wont get back out til Saturday evening. I might try and get a hunt in Thursday evening if I can manage to squeeze it in there.

ManOfTheFall
10-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Tuesday I saw nothing. Wednesday morning I saw one nice doe I considered taking but she busted me so that went by the way side real fast. She didn't blow at me or anything she just didn't like what she saw so she turned and trotted off. I didn't go Thursday evening but I think I'm going out Friday evening instead of the football game, then also Saturday evening.

zachc
10-21-2016, 11:47 PM
I'll be in the stand early in the morning. I'm gonna have to call the boss, cuz this cold front that moved in is making me feel "cough cough"...sick...lol. My buddy went out tonight and saw a handful of deer, said he was able to put a shot on a big 6 pointer but wanted to play it safe and let him lay overnight due to how he was acting after the shot. He's going back in the morning yo try to find him. Should be a good morning to be in the woods tomorrow, and hopefully this wind dies down by then.

ManOfTheFall
10-22-2016, 03:40 AM
I saw several Friday evening but nothing I wanted. Hopefully Saturday evening works out better. I'm going after Big Brow Double Drop Saturday. Gonna be right by his bedroom.

ManOfTheFall
10-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Saturday evening was a bust. There were coyotes going crazy for about the last hour of the hunt a couple hundred yards away. I couldn't see what was going on though. First nice cool evening hunt of the season and it was ruined by yotes.

zachc
10-23-2016, 12:28 AM
Well good luck motf. I got to the woods plenty early this morning, lasted down a lil scent and went to climb in the treestand that has been there for a good 15 years... wait, where's the stand, I know its right here I've only sat in it a million times, where did it go??? Yeah that was how my morning started! Come to find out that someone had driven an ATV into my uncles woods cut his treestand canopy and ladder stand down and hauled it off! Well these dumb m-f-ers weren't smart enough to think that their ATV would leave tracks in the freshly plowed bean field. We were able to track them into the stand and back out, out along the edge of the field for about 400 yards and back into his neighbors woods. Got about 30 years in the woods and lost tracks. These worthless pos sum b*tches really piss me off! No one had permission to be in my uncles or his one neighbors woods, they know exactly where they were going and what they were getting. Like I said this stand has been there since I was a teenager and was a great stand to hunt. Prolly some heroin heads that needed their next fix...or maybe meth heads!

zachc
10-23-2016, 12:30 AM
On a positive note I did see quite a few deer this morning tho! Had a handful of them move in on me before daylight, one walked 6-7 yards from the stand. After 8 o'clock I didn't see a single deer.

mrbb
10-23-2016, 04:19 PM
seen a LOT of dead bucks on the hi ways here last week or so, a crazy amount to be honest! haven't been out so don't know if there is any early chasing going on or what
but we have also had some CRAZY wild storms, major flooding and record breaking HIGH temps
then 2 days of madness rains and high winds

I think this next week is supposed to be way better, a drop in temps at night and less wind

should only get better from here on out for you guys, hang in there!!

ManOfTheFall
10-24-2016, 01:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck there Zach. I am going out Monday and Tuesday evenings. Then My last night of work is Wednesday night and I will be off for the next 16 days. So I will be hitting it hard those 2 weeks. Hoping for great weather and even better hunting!!!!!

00buck
10-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Didn't see anything yesterday Good luck motf

ManOfTheFall
10-26-2016, 03:01 AM
Monday evening I saw one doe. I didn't get out Tuesday evening but I did get some stuff done at one stand site I've been putting off and did a couple other chores before my big vacation starts. I will definitely be hitting it Thursday evening and Friday morning.

ManOfTheFall
10-26-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm really pumped up about Thursday's evening hunt. I have heard a lot about buck activity is really starting to heat up and the spot I'm headed to is where I always see most of the big boys every fall. Just have that feeling. Hoping to get a shot at Big Brow Double Drop!!!!!

00buck
10-27-2016, 05:26 AM
Good luck hope it works out for you a little windy this morning stay safe

zachc
10-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Good luck out there tonight motf! Hopefully everything comes together for you. I still can't get over how big that guy is lol.

mneal
10-27-2016, 09:49 AM
I am headed out this afternoon and then hunting the next four days in Muskingum County, Ohio. I saw my big wide Hartford Insurance Deer in the flesh in daylight on Tuesday evening for the first time. He was about 120 yds away on a cut cornfield with a mature doe. Hoping to get a crack at him now that things are picking up. I am going to try and slip in the area with my climber in the early afternoon without getting too close to where I think he is bedding. Things are definitely starting to pick up in SE Ohio...

zachc
10-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Best of luck to you as well mneal. I prolly won't hit the stand until Nov 3rd, as with many of us I have to try and make the wife happy so that when my vacation days roll around I'm able to be in the stand. Lol!

ManOfTheFall
10-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Saturday morning about 8:30 out of nowhere I look to my right and there appeared to be a giant 10. When he cleared a tree his right side was like 3 or 4 spikes sticking up but I took a crack at him when he gave me the opportunity. Only problem was I was shooting to the right, my bad side. He was going away from me and I had to take the shot. Went right under him. I didn't go out this evening cause I wanted to confirm it was me and not the bow and it was me. Although I did make a couple minor tweaks. This is the first I've ever saw this buck, very unique deer. Next time out will be Monday morning.

mneal
10-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Out last night... sat through some rain early and then conditions were perfect as the wind died and woods were quiet. Had eight does walk by me... in two different groups about 20 minutes apart. No bucks following them and they did not seem to be pushed at all.

zachc
11-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Got a mini vacation coning up this week, off Thursday-Monday and I plan on hitting it hard this week. Temps are supposed to drop the end of the week, should be nice. Gonna try to start Thursday morning with the decoy and smashing the antlers together! I'm so pumped!

ernie
11-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Been in the stand since Monday morning. My crew is seeing younger bucks cruising... bumping does a bit. Cameras are showing the big deer on their feet looking...mostly after dark. Should be getting better every day from here on through next week. Tonight should be the last of the real hot weather. Rain coming through tomorrow... should get interesting real soon.

zachc
11-03-2016, 07:50 PM
So looking at the forecast last night there's a 67% chance of rain between 8-10 am this morning, so hey I'll opt for an evening hunt. Well while we were running errands this morning not hardly a drop of rain. As I'm getting ready to walk to the stand about 2:30, I hear the neighbor yelling for his beagles. I step in the woods and there he is with his 3 dogs and 2 hawks he hunts with. "Is that your stand there?" he says, yeah I reply. "Ok I'm gonna get out of here then." And wouldn't you know it he walks his dogs straight in front of my stand and through the woods in front of it, in the opposite direction of his house, follows the finger of the woods out into the field and 30 minutes later walks across the open bean field...yep...right by the stand again! 20 minutes after he walks across the field, there goes his 2 other beagles. On top of that, 10 minutes in the stand I got dumped on, and on, and on some more. Finally had enough of getting rained on and being that a bunch of dogs prolly ruined my hunt, I tapped out and headed for the house. Needless to say, not seeing anything. Gonna try the decoy and antlers in the morning. Hopefully with better results...

00buck
11-04-2016, 05:56 AM
So looking at the forecast last night there's a 67% chance of rain between 8-10 am this morning, so hey I'll opt for an evening hunt. Well while we were running errands this morning not hardly a drop of rain. As I'm getting ready to walk to the stand about 2:30, I hear the neighbor yelling for his beagles. I step in the woods and there he is with his 3 dogs and 2 hawks he hunts with. "Is that your stand there?" he says, yeah I reply. "Ok I'm gonna get out of here then." And wouldn't you know it he walks his dogs straight in front of my stand and through the woods in front of it, in the opposite direction of his house, follows the finger of the woods out into the field and 30 minutes later walks across the open bean field...yep...right by the stand again! 20 minutes after he walks across the field, there goes his 2 other beagles. On top of that, 10 minutes in the stand I got dumped on, and on, and on some more. Finally had enough of getting rained on and being that a bunch of dogs prolly ruined my hunt, I tapped out and headed for the house. Needless to say, not seeing anything. Gonna try the decoy and antlers in the morning. Hopefully with better results...
Good luck Zac gonna try to get out of work early and head to the stand if not tomorrow morning I will be there and sit as long as I can

ManOfTheFall
11-04-2016, 09:07 AM
So this week I've only seen 2 shooters. I've seen several 1 1/2 year olds, but haven't seen any does. With the cooler weather kicking in hopefully it gets better. Haven't seen my big boy on the hoof yet. Hoping to real soon. I'm in a stand near his area now.

Jal5
11-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Sat. Morning for sure

zachc
11-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Well this morning was a bust, set up plenty early and sat til a lil after 11 and didn't see one deer. Kinda weird cuz I've seen something every time I've sat out here this year and the weather was about perfect this morning. I'm thinking all of the fields that border this woods are now picked and maybe they've moved to the few remaining fields with crops in them still, idk. Anyway, back in the same stand now so we'll see what happens tonight.

zachc
11-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Struck out again this evening, didn't see anything moving. Gonna try to sit behind the house in the morning. Anyone else have some good luck?

ManOfTheFall
11-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Saturday morning I only saw 2 and they were running full bore and about 80 yards away. Couldn't even tell what they were. Thought for sure it would have been a much better day.

whodey1966
11-06-2016, 09:55 AM
It's been really slow in my area, heading out this afternoon after yard work.

ManOfTheFall
11-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Don't forget to move your alarms back 1 hour as the sunrise will be 1 hour earlier now.

Jal5
11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Nothing at all Sat. Morning. Cold and clear no wind at all but no deer at all either

ernie
11-06-2016, 07:53 PM
I've hunted in both Pike and Noble counties for about the past week. Last few days... does have gone underground for the most part. Fawns have separated from does somewhat. 90% of the deer that are seen are bucks. I'd say the first does are being bred for sure.

nomad_archer
11-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Today Is my first day out. Nothing happening here. At least not yet

ManOfTheFall
11-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Another slow morning. Saw 2 dinks. Taking a break then headed back out for an evening hunt.

nomad_archer
11-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Still a bunch of nothing but squirrels. I will be hanging out here until about 3 then calling it a day.

ManOfTheFall
11-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Nothing yesterday evening, so far nothing this morning. Anyone else basically seeing nothing?

zachc
11-08-2016, 05:21 PM

I got to the woods, set out the decoy, and climb in at 6:00 yesterday morning. All was quiet until I picked this guy up trotting across a cut bean field about 500 yards out. I got my binoculars on him and watched him the entire way headed straight for me, mouth was hanging open, tongue out and I could tell he had been running after something or from something. Anyways as I was watching I decided that, even know he wasn't a giant, I decided that if he gave me a shot a was going to take it. Hit the edge of the woods and saw the decoy, circled downwind which was closer to me, and entered the woods almost even with the stand. As he started walking I could see he was going to come right behind the stand, the whole time checking out the decoy. He got behind a small tree and I came to full draw, as soon as he cleared one last branch, he stopped locked on the decoy. And I let it fly! Clean pass through, double lung'd him, he ran 40 yards and crashed. I know there's plenty of mixed reviews on using decoys but having the decoy out took me from having a 30-35 yard shot to having a 12 yard shot with no attention on me. I know he's not huge and the rut is right around the corner but boys I just couldn't resist him. Plus he'll make a nice European mount lol!

mrbb
11-09-2016, 12:14 PM
congrats ton you on a fine buck,
and glad to see someone on the site score already too LOL

I think decoys are like this, when they work, THEY WORK, but when they don't they are a pain in the butt to carry in and all that goes with keeping one LOL

I personally have had more BAD luck with them than good, so I gave up using them and sold all of mine HAHA!

killed tons of deer without them and only a couple with, and the biggest buck I ever had a chance at, got scared off on a decoy I had out, was coming in on a string and then seen decoy froze up, got into a staring match with decoy for about 15 minutes
and then I swear , it figured out it was fake and did a 180 and left
to this day I swear had that decoy been home, I would have had that buck, a 180+ deer to boot
and had a few other like encounters
decoy was a small 6 point rack, and all the deer were MUCH bigger, NO reason to be scared, OTHER then they figured out decoy was just that LOL

if you have faith in them, all they can do maybe is help you stay in the stand or hunt more
so that side I say is a plus
and again, when they work, they work?

nomad_archer
11-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Congrats on the fine buck.

I have been out the past 3 day. 2 nearly all day sits and today I walked and walked from 8-12:30 and covered lots of ground in the rain and still have yet to see as much as a tail. So no deer to report here. I havnt been seeing them when driving, no road kills. Its just dead. I talked to a guy today that has hunted the last 11 or so hunting days in PA and he said he only saw 2-3. I am pretty disheartened. But I guess there is always tomorrow. May have to try somewhere different tomorrow.

ManOfTheFall
11-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Good job zach!!!!! After being on vacation for 2 weeks and seeing about 6 deer, Thursday it finally broke. I didn't shoot any thing but I saw 8 bucks and 3 does. Had one decent buck as close as 40 yards but wasn't taking that shot. I did take a shot at a Long Beard but underestimated the distance and shot under him. So far this morning I've seen 2 small bucks. Hoping to at least put a decent one down before I go back to work Saturday night.

zachc
11-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone have any luck this week? I'm going to hit up behind the house in the morning and see what, if anything, is moving back there. Tuesday on the way to work I saw a decent buck chasing a doe across a cut bean field. With these cooler temps sticking around finally I think the rut should be in fill swing here anytime! Hoping to drop a nice fat doe in the morning tho. But I'll be happy just to see some deer back there...

00buck
11-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Congrats Zach I haven't been out alot this year maybe 8 times with 2 all day sits haven't seen much other than does with fawns in my area haven't been out in over a week maybe tomorrow morning if I finish up the job today

zachc
11-12-2016, 09:18 AM
So far this morning only a small 7 pointer about 7:30 or so. That beeze picked up and is COLD!! Lol.

ManOfTheFall
11-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Saturday morning was good but still no deer. I saw 5 bucks and one doe. I thought I was going to get a shot on a 130" 10 point but I could never get him in a shooting lane. Had him at 20 yards a couple times but no shot.

ManOfTheFall
11-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Now I cant get back out til Monday or Tuesday.

zachc
11-13-2016, 09:17 AM
That sucks motf, good things come to those who wait right? Lol. I sat til about 10:30 yesterday morning and didn't see anything else. Might hit it in the morning, if not prolly won't be until next weekend.

00buck
11-13-2016, 09:19 AM
That sucks motf, good things come to those who wait right? Lol. I sat til about 10:30 yesterday morning and didn't see anything else. Might hit it in the morning, if not prolly won't be until next weekend.
Don't forget to wear orange I think next weekend is youth gun season or at least that's what my 6 year old keeps reminding me

00buck
11-13-2016, 09:20 AM
I need to hunt were one of you are I have seen very little this year and have put in some stand time

zachc
11-13-2016, 09:00 PM
I think you're right, forgot about youth season so soon. Could be good could be bad I guess. I went back today and dumped a 50 lb bag of corn in front of my stand hoping to get a nice fat doe to come in close in the morning! Had a doe cut across the field in front of the house this evening so hopefully that's a good sign for the morning. I'm really trying to fill a doe tag before the orange army comes in full swing.

nomad_archer
11-14-2016, 06:51 AM
Well I hunted as much as I could last week monday - friday. Usually 7:15am - 3pm. I didnt see a stinking deer. But thats hunting PA.

00buck
11-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Well didn't see anything again these all day hunts are getting kinda boring with little to no action

zachc
11-14-2016, 11:00 AM
I was in the stand about 6, sat til almost 10 and didn't see a thing either. Weather wise, I couldn't have asked for a better morning. Maybe next weekend???

nomad_archer
11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Seems like there were a lot of perfect mornings and no one was seeing anything. Wonder what was up with that.

00buck
11-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Nothing this morning went to work late saw alot this evening on the ride home

zachc
11-17-2016, 12:36 AM
Is it me or has this whole season so far been pretty strange? I don't know about y'all but since summer it seems like the trail cams and sightings have been pretty slow, and since the season started I've seen a fair amount of deer but for me 90% of them have been small bucks (1-2 1/2 year olds). Can't find a doe for the life of me! And granted I think a lot of guys gave up on this site but we're mid November and there's only been a couple tags filled on here. Any thoughts???

ManOfTheFall
11-17-2016, 01:25 AM
I have said the same thing. I know the does are out there as I have seen a ton of them on my trail cams. As far as seeing does though besides about the first 10 days of the season, it's been like Zach said. I've seen lots of small bucks and besides a shooter buck here and there I've rarely seen a doe. Usually I'm filling my doe tags left and right. But out of 4 hunters in the family I am the only one that has taken out 1 doe. None of the neighbors have shot any does either. Are the does all going nocturnal too?

ManOfTheFall
11-17-2016, 01:29 AM
On the bright side, I did finally see Big Brow Double Drop on the hoof in daylight. It was only for a few seconds and through some brush about 30 yards away. Couldn't mistake those brow tines, I know it was him. I tried grunting and bleating him in but to no avail. Then a little late a 1 1/2 year old 8 point walked right past me.

zachc
11-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Out at my uncles which is my primary private hunting spot, for the blast 13-14 years we've hunted it there is always 2-3 groups of does that run it throughout the year and this year like I've said I have literally only seen 1 lone doe out there. I guess maybe motf brings up a good point, are they going nocturnal? We all know that big mature bucks get hip to us as they grow older and tend to try to move at night most of the time. Or maybe the doe population has dropped?I see this year they have drastically cut back on the antler less tags in Ohio, only a few select counties, maybe they know something we don't? Or maybe its all the pressure being put on them from humans (hunting, building houses everywhere, poachers, etc)? Whatever it is I hope our luck changes soon cuz I would love to get a doe before shotgun season.

As far as your big boy motf hopefully you'll have a crack at him soon! Seeing him in the daylight is just another step closer ay? This weekend its supposed to get cold as h*ll! So hopefully it'll get em moving...

nomad_archer
11-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Zach it's not getting cold over my way. More of the same old, same old. Cold was last year on my birthday when it was 14 degrees and I dont know what the wind chill was. Thankfully it wasnt to windy that day. I didnt see a deer but I do remember the cold and being thankful for wind block gear and lots of layers.

zachc
11-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Anyone out battling this wind and cold?

zachc
11-20-2016, 11:03 PM
I take that as a no, lol. Well I should be sitting in the stand in about 7 hours or so. Gonna go ahead and put a fat doe in the freezer...hopefully! Anyone be joining me?

ManOfTheFall
11-21-2016, 12:15 AM
I'll be heading back out Tuesday evening for sure, maybe Monday evening.

Jal5
11-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Ithink the herd is way less than the ODNR estimates. Been seeing fewer deer for several years. They never take into account the deer killed by coyotes plus we were encouraged to take too many does over too many years. Therefore less deer now.
Rant is over.

zachc
11-21-2016, 06:06 PM
I was in the stand at 6:09 this morning. At 6:55 I had a decent lil 7 pointer come in and eat on my corn pile 15 yards in front of the stand for about 15 minutes or so. Sat til almost 10 and didn't see another deer. But I was lucky enough to see 4.6 million squirrels! Lol. I pulled my trail cam card today and the past week the bucks have been moving. Have videos of 4-5 different bucks, nothing huge but hey this year I'll take videos of any deer I can get. Still yet to see any does cruising around. Not sure if I'll hit it in the morning or not...

ManOfTheFall
11-22-2016, 01:55 AM
Didn't get out Monday evening but I will definitely be in the stand Tuesday evening.

00buck
11-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Haven't been out since the weekend haven't seen squat will be out Thursday till 11 all day Friday through wensday almost wondering if it it worth taking off work since I am not seeing anything while on stand and I mean nothing but squirrel

zachc
11-22-2016, 09:17 AM
I feel you there 00buck! I've burnt more vacation this year for hunting than the past several, and the deer I'm seeing are not near as much as usual. Granted at least I'm usually seeing something and was able to harvest a decent buck, but I couldn't find a doe while hunting to save my life lol!

00buck
11-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Where are you hunting at (county) might have to see about some public land around there

zachc
11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm in clermont co, but its right where clermont, Clinton, and warren all come together. I haven't hunted any public land yet this year but may have to sooner or later. Had most of my luck at my uncles right inside Clinton co...until I got that buck there and he says I have to wait to hunt to give everyone else a chance to kill something. Hoping he'll let me back in there for shotgun season.

00buck
11-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah I haven't had much luck have the first 2 days off for shotgun and tomorrow I am only working a half day then won't be back to work until wensday gonna try to get it done

ManOfTheFall
11-23-2016, 12:07 AM
Tuesday evening was a bust. Didn't see anything except 2 possums. Next time out will be Friday evening.

00buck
11-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

Anyone been out or have plans to be out soon

zachc
11-24-2016, 08:53 PM
I'll second that, hope everyone had a nice turkey day! If all goes as planned I'll be in the stand hopefully Saturday and Sunday morning to take one last stab a dropping a doe before gun season rolls in.

00buck
11-24-2016, 09:10 PM
I'll second that, hope everyone had a nice turkey day! If all goes as planned I'll be in the stand hopefully Saturday and Sunday morning to take one last stab a dropping a doe before gun season rolls in.
Good luck buddy

ManOfTheFall
11-25-2016, 06:54 AM
Yes, good luck Zach. I won't be able to make it out this evening so my next time out will be after gun season.

zachc
11-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Well this morning was kind of a bust. About 20 minutes before the sun started coming up I heard and eventually was able to make out 1 deer walking by. After checking my camera, pretty sure it was a small 4 pointer, judging by the time and date the video was taken. Due to the lack of movement, I'm sleeping in in the morning. They to get out Mon-Tues of gun season even tho they're calling for rain. Anyone else able to make it out lately?

00buck
11-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Headed out here in an hour or so dad has been watching the deer for me and would love to put it on one before Monday morning we will see not expecting much went in a week ago Thursday and hung a set

zachc
11-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Any luck 00buck?

00buck
11-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Saw 3 a BB and a mature doe and her yearling doe got busted drawing on her maybe tomorrow will bring better luck we will see

ManOfTheFall
11-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Well guys, I've been kicking around dusting off the shotgun and at least going out a couple evenings. Still not sure yet though. I'm just thinking maybe with the guns going off since I pretty much hunt in the sanctuary area I may get a chance at my big boy. I haven't been gun hunting in I think it's been at least 13 years and possibly even longer.

00buck
11-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Well guys, I've been kicking around dusting off the shotgun and at least going out a couple evenings. Still not sure yet though. I'm just thinking maybe with the guns going off since I pretty much hunt in the sanctuary area I may get a chance at my big boy. I haven't been gun hunting in I think it's been at least 13 years and possibly even longer.
You will not know unless you try it I personally don't like to gun hunt deer but I am up and getting ready to head out

zachc
11-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Well good luck to both of y'all! Hopefully something comes together. I'm more of a bow hunter to but I always like to have a lil break and throw some lead lol, get that extra lil reach out and touch em! Anyway I didn't make it out this morning, planned on hunting my uncles this week and he threw a wrench in my plans last night by saying no to hunting it cuz "he hasn't seen many deer out there this year." Well its kinda hard to see them when you don't sit in the stand...or no one is for that matter (except me). So now I'm trying to come up with plan B. What can you do right, sorry fellas just had to vent for a second.

Jal5
11-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Saw nothing this morning and heard only a few shots this morning

00buck
11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Saw nothing this morning and heard only a few shots this morning
I only heard a few shots also did manage to see a buck and a doe but them fuggers are smart hanging out on private land

Jal5
11-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Nothing this afternoon either. Sheesh!

00buck
11-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Same here nothing either

zachc
11-29-2016, 11:22 AM
All is quiet here thus morning. Had someone shoot 4 shots early right behind me. Nothing since and I haven't seen a deer yet. Gonna slide out for a lil food and then prolly sit here the rest of the day if I need to.

zachc
11-29-2016, 09:54 PM
So I sat from 6:45-12 and then back from about 1-5:40 and just like most of us lately, not one single deer! Not sure what's going on. I'm sure the 60°+ temps didn't help. Anyone else make it out?

ManOfTheFall
11-30-2016, 12:42 AM
I didn't make it out Monday or Tuesday and I can't go Wednesday. All I have left this week will be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings and I don't know if I will make any of those either.

mrbb
11-30-2016, 05:32 PM
best of luck to all you's still out there
but WOW< I was hoping to see a few big buck pic's here by now??
Pa gun season opened here, I didn;t hunt, but helped out a little at friends deer butchering shop
weather was great chilly NOT too cold, sunny, NO rain winds not bad
and terrible turn out on kills brought in, NOTHING big and only about 25 deer, normally a opening day is about a 100-150
heavy rains Tuesday here, 2 came in, today, off and on rains, 4 came in!

SLOW start up here this yr
weekend is supposed to be chilly but dry, maybe not many are taking Monday off work as in the past??

nomad_archer
12-02-2016, 07:58 AM
I saw 10 or 11 on monday. A big 4pt, a spike, and the rest does. It is concurrent buck/doe where I am at but the big does didn't give me a chance and I am trying to avoid shooting a little doe this year. I saw a spike in the rain on Tuesday. That was it. I wont be out until saturday then I will hunt mon, tues, thrus, friday,and saturday next week to wrap up the season.

ManOfTheFall
12-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Looks like I won't be getting out in gun season. Oh well didn't really want to gun hunt anyways. Bow is where it's at for me.

nomad_archer
12-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Getting out soon for my third day of gun season in PA. I hope to have a chance to sling some lead today

Jal5
12-03-2016, 04:50 AM
Getting ready to go out this morning. Good luck to everyone

ManOfTheFall
12-03-2016, 06:50 AM
My next time out will be this coming Thursday and Friday evenings. Going to freshen up a nice corn pile on Monday and with the big cold front that's coming hoping to see some good action.

mrbb
12-03-2016, 05:31 PM
First Saturday of Gun season here, and this morning I had a army of hunters driving down my road, at day break I had a group of about a dozen doe bedded down in my back yard LOL
left about 9 am and came back at just before dark and they were still laying in the same spot, I guess they figured my yard was pretty safe place for them!

DID hear a bunch of shooting in last 30 minutes of light , so,. but wow seemed like a very slow deer season here this yr

Buddy's butcher shop still hasn't broken 50 deer this whole week, a normal yr he gets that and more on opening day!

slow season I think or??

Jal5
12-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Saw only one doe this afternoon. Hardly any shooting. An extremely slow week in Jefferson Co. hardly saw a hunter driving thru town too.

00buck
12-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Not alot of action in central ohio either

zachc
12-03-2016, 10:07 PM
I only went out Tuesday but hunted all day. And all my huntin crew hunted a good amount all week and all together only saw a few deer. So very slow for south/south west Ohio too (clermont/Clinton co).

nomad_archer
12-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Hunted a full day of PA rifle season yesterday and saw no deer. No one is seeing squat in PA this year.

ManOfTheFall
12-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Prepped 2 spots for the upcoming cold front. Going to hunt each one Thursday and Friday evenings. Put out 100 pounds of corn in each spot and a 20 pound sugar beet block covered in sugar beet juice by wild game innovations. Hopefully there is still a good bit there by Thursday and Friday, hoping the deer don't destroy it.

mrbb
12-06-2016, 10:01 PM
a cold snap should drive deer to easy meals, pending deer numbers that might all be gone before Friday

up here, a 100 ;lbs can be sucked up in about 2 nights when its cold out!

good news is, once they find easy food they do tend to come back and look for more even after its gone

best of luck to you
been waiting to see some Ohio bucks here on the site being taken, by members here??
SLOW season here it seems on getting lucky!

zachc
12-07-2016, 12:38 AM
My buddy was able to fill a doe tag Sunday morning. My uncle finally sat Saturday and saw 5 does and a nice 10 pointer come by, couldn't get a shot at the 10. And Sunday morning he saw 6 does under the stand. Hoping now that he sees there are deer out there, he will let me back out to smoke a doe.

Good luck to anyone who will be out soon. Not sure if I will make it out this weekend or not. I also dumped 50 lbs of corn in front of the stand yesterday, since they gobbled it all up, and topped it off with some liquid sugar beet crush so we'll see if that helps bring them in.

As far as deer being posted on here... Its only been a few so far right???

ManOfTheFall
12-07-2016, 02:45 AM
Yeah, very few. Not many people I know have taken any either. Any one hear any numbers from gun season?

00buck
12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/a833c8efacea91a0d4c41f633b429426.jpg

00buck
12-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah, very few. Not many people I know have taken any either. Any one hear any numbers from gun season?
There you go numbers don't lie only the poachers and people saying they see deer every time they are in a tree

ManOfTheFall
12-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Isn't that quite a bit below last year?

ManOfTheFall
12-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Getting ready for the evening hunt. All I can say is its cold out here. I haven't been out in nearly a month so it's almost like opening day minus the temperature. I will let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck!!!!!

00buck
12-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Getting ready for the evening hunt. All I can say is its cold out here. I haven't been out in nearly a month so it's almost like opening day minus the temperature. I will let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck!!!!!
Flurries here in plain city area good luck and dress warm

ManOfTheFall
12-08-2016, 02:39 PM
I lied, I guess I went 16 days ago, but it seemed like forever, lol.

nomad_archer
12-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Here we go again. Getting my self moving for my 6th all day hunt of PA rifle season. Missed a doe yesterday at 108 yards trotting across an open field. Good thing was it was just a hair cut no blood drawn. I guess I was a little overzealous with the swing on the moving deer. Out at it again. It got darn cold last night hopefully the deer are in the picked crop fields.

mrbb
12-09-2016, 12:28 PM
well good luck there Nomad, getting cold now for doing all day sits, all the more so if no one is moving them deer pressure tens to make them sit tight in most places, and moving to food late evenings

might be better off still hunting mid day?

00buck
12-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Here we go again. Getting my self moving for my 6th all day hunt of PA rifle season. Missed a doe yesterday at 108 yards trotting across an open field. Good thing was it was just a hair cut no blood drawn. I guess I was a little overzealous with the swing on the moving deer. Out at it again. It got darn cold last night hopefully the deer are in the picked crop fields.
Snowing here in galion ohio nice and cold good luck out there

ManOfTheFall
12-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Thursday night I saw 3 right before I got down, had to wait them out. This evening I got down and went to grab my scent rag and I saw a tail waving at me. Even with the cold and snow I can't seem to catch them moving at a decent time. Next week we are expecting colder air yet so maybe that will do the trick.

00buck
12-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Hopefully I can make it out tomorrow have a furnace to replace tomorrow for someone without heat in the morning and a Christmas party to go to but think I will have a belly ache before we have to go to party and wife and kids will go without me lol

nomad_archer
12-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Got lucky today. My buddy bumped two healthy doe by my stand. The one stopped 287 yards out in the cut bean field. The 300 win mag barked and she did a back flip lunged 20 yards and that was it. The 165gr NBT had a complete pass through. Nice end to a long frustrating season. Today was the 6th day I hunted the PA firearms season.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161210/676fd513dfeefb7ff01f1091287bde8b.jpg

ManOfTheFall
12-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Congrats nomad!!!!!

zachc
12-10-2016, 12:41 AM
Congrats nomad! That's a h*ll of a shot! Nice back straps in the freezer.

nomad_archer
12-10-2016, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys. It was by far the longest shot I have taken. Good thing is I knew I had enough gun for the job. In the picture you can see the exit. The shot center punched the other shoulder.

I gotta say thanks to mrbb who helped me decide on the 300 win mag 5 or 6 years ago. I was amazed at how fast the bullet go there and that it still had an exit. I know that gun has lots of range but it is impressive to see first hand.

mrbb
12-10-2016, 04:07 PM
congrats to you Nomad, meat for the table is always a welcome end to a PA gun season
and MAN its been a odd one here from what I know?

today, however, I seen the largest PA buck I ever laid eye's on, an absolute monster, and came to about 3 ft from it with the front of my truck at about 65 mph LOL
had to be a min of a 190+ inch buck, just massive, after I nearly ran it over I got to watch it run then walk away for about a 100 yards into a small patch of woods in bewteen two ON ramps, a small island of woods between the Hiways
I bet that sucker has been living there for yrs and NO one will ever get him in that maybe 3 acre piece of land surrounded by HI way, a car or truck maybe, but a hunter??
I almost think had I been driving my old truck I wouldn;'t have slammed the brakes on like I had to to miss him LOL

BUt WOW< what a buck I seen today here in PA, last day of buck season to boot! HAHA!

zachc
12-10-2016, 11:42 PM
I went back today to see if they ate any corn from in front of my stand, almost didn't take any more back with me but man I'm glad I did. In 5 days they ate an entire 50 lb bag! Not sure if its the cold weather or they finally found it but I'm thinking that this sugar beet crush brought em all in. I have over 100 videos of deer alone eating on it. And the best part, out of nowhere, I had about 6 different bucks on the corn pile. 1 REALLY nice 12 pointer (easy 140" pushing 150) and 2 other decent shooters! Where they came from I have no clue (I'll post pics later). So anyway, I dumped another 50 lb bag out and some more sugar beet crush and I plan on sitting in the stand in the morning. Only bad part is not 1 video in daylight...???

ManOfTheFall
12-12-2016, 12:19 AM
I may or not go out Tuesday evening, But I will definitely be going out Thursday, real cold, and Friday evenings again. They ate most of my corn up also. Going to dump some more out today and tomorrow.

00buck
12-12-2016, 06:53 AM
I went back today to see if they ate any corn from in front of my stand, almost didn't take any more back with me but man I'm glad I did. In 5 days they ate an entire 50 lb bag! Not sure if its the cold weather or they finally found it but I'm thinking that this sugar beet crush brought em all in. I have over 100 videos of deer alone eating on it. And the best part, out of nowhere, I had about 6 different bucks on the corn pile. 1 REALLY nice 12 pointer (easy 140" pushing 150) and 2 other decent shooters! Where they came from I have no clue (I'll post pics later). So anyway, I dumped another 50 lb bag out and some more sugar beet crush and I plan on sitting in the stand in the morning. Only bad part is not 1 video in daylight...???
Love to see those pics haven't had a deer on camera since gun week and the squirrel are loving the corn pile

I may or not go out Tuesday evening, But I will definitely be going out Thursday, real cold, and Friday evenings again. They ate most of my corn up also. Going to dump some more out today and tomorrow.
For my area it says 10 for the high and -1 for the low for Thursday want kind of gear are you going to be wearing/using

zachc
12-12-2016, 11:30 PM

So here's a few pics from the video's for last week. The lil 4 pointer that is in all of the pics, he is in the majority of the video's. Its pretty funny really, he literally tried to fight/spar with every bucks that comes up to the corn pile while he's there. And he did find 2 takers, another small 6 and one of the bigger ones. The bad part about him is he scared off the big 12 pointer (who seemed very timid for some reason). Hopefully this week will be just as busy back there...hopefully!

ManOfTheFall
12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
I will be wearing under armour, a thermal army long sleeve shirt, then 2 cotton long sleeve and 1 mossy oak long sleeve button up. Just regular mossy oak pants. I have thick coveralls that are totally awesome. I will wear a thick thermal face and head cover and thick insulated army gloves. Should be good to go. I've been out in colder weather with this same gear and have been just fine. Plus my cold late season hunts only take in the last 1 1/2 hours of legal hunting time so it's not like I'll be out there all day. I'll be good to go.

nomad_archer
12-13-2016, 02:06 PM
ManOfTheFall get the cotton out of your hunting gear and you will be warmer. I went all synthetic years ago and say way warmer not that I ever did. I sat in stand all day last late season when the high was 14* and never got cold. As the saying goes "cotton kills"

ManOfTheFall
12-14-2016, 02:46 AM
Same old story Tuesday evening. Saw 2 just as I was getting down out of the stand. Hopefully with the real cold temps Thursday evening they will be moving a little earlier.

ManOfTheFall
12-15-2016, 06:24 AM
Anyone braving the cold today? I will be going out this evening in hopes of seeing my big boy. I will be hunting his home turf this evening. I'm really hoping this cold air and the fresh smell of sugar beet syrup will bring him in.

Jal5
12-15-2016, 06:50 AM
The other thing is your feet in the cold. I picked up a pair of boot coverings that go over my leather insulated boots. You slip them on once on the stand and zip up. Even stick a hand warmer in there. It helps.

zachc
12-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Well good luck motf! I would say he'll be on his feet today in the daylight as cold as it is. Do you have any corn out with your sugar beet syrup? I won't be out until at least prolly Sunday, depending on this weather. As far as cold weather gear, I use under armour cold gear base layers, haven't found anything warmer yet! And I have some redhead cws parka and pants that do the job very well. My biggest thing is keeping my feet warm, even with heavy boots. So I may have to try a pair of those boot covers Jal5.

ManOfTheFall
12-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Yes, corn also.

mrbb
12-15-2016, 04:47 PM
this cold front should have all things looking for food, was a high here oif 10 degree's and very windy, wind chills should have been crazy low today here

as for boot blankets, I have a few pair they make a BIG difference if you ask me, BUt I have also found they can work even better if you remove your boots and just stick in DRY socks and a heat pack, they work like a sleeping bag then
I think when your boots are off you get better blood flow or??

plus if you use the arctic shield brand one's they have that heat reflective material in them that works off body heat reflecting it back, like a space blanket then

hand muff's help too on these cold days!

00buck
12-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Yeah staying warm is a big help worked out side all day have my under armour cold gear base layers on also and I also haven't found anything warmer yet my big problem is keeping my feet warm

ManOfTheFall
12-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Did not see anything this evening. Tomorrow evening it won't be quite as cold but with the storm moving in maybe that will get them moving. I love late season hunting and the challenges it brings. Anyone else out there really like late season hunting?

ManOfTheFall
12-17-2016, 12:59 AM
Ok, I'm giving it a break. Maybe with all the pressures of the hunting seasons the deer just need a break. It really has been one of the strangest seasons ever. I've seen way many more bucks than I have does but I know they are out there cause of all the sign. I said this earlier it really seems like to me the does have gone nocturnal at least in my neck of the woods. So, let the gun hunters have the next 2 days and then muzzle loader season then maybe after I'll hit it hard again.

zachc
12-17-2016, 10:13 AM
I feel ya motf! And I completely agree. I have still yet to see but I think 1 doe while on stand all year but several bucks, and its usually the other way. I have only hunted once since gun week and I usually lay low for a few weeks after just cuz of pressure. I may try to slide out tomorrow if I can get into my uncles if not I'll prolly just sleep in. I know there are deer running behind the house cuz I have them on camera but still 0 in the daylight. It won't surprise me if the state lowers the amount of doe tags able to be filled next year. All the guys I hunt with and talk to that hunt say the same thing, can't find any does! In the last 2-3 weeks within 2 miles of the house I have seen 4 does hit on the side of the road, I know they're out there.

zachc
12-20-2016, 08:58 AM
So I never made it out Sunday but I did check the corn pile and camera. As expected the corn was demolished so I dumped some more. As far as the camera goes, week before last had, what...6-8 different bucks, and last week there was a bunch of videos of does, one small 4 pointer and one of the same decent 8 pointers, and still not a single daytime video. Its crazy how these deer come and go. So woods behind the house is about 12-15 acres and from what I can tell seems to be used just as they travel from one area to the next. Any recommendations on how to get them in front of the stand during daylight hours???..

Jal5
12-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Mrbb i never tried those arctic shields with only socks and heat packs. Try it and let us know. I usually throw heat packs on top of my leather insulated boots inside arctic shields

mrbb
12-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Jal5, I have not tried it with the arctic shield one's but have many times with my Ice breaker Boot blanket , have done this on all day sits in Alberta in -20 degree weather for 10+ hrs at a time and been way warmer than if I had boots on
and the main reason is, boot insulate in both directions they keep heat IN your boot and OUT of your boot, where when you only have good wool socks on, in side a boot blanket, the heat from the heat back does more for your toes
I don't hunt really anymore, so doubt I will get a chance to use the Arctic shield one's
but Have there jacket and bibs and they do work pretty well to reflect heat back at you
the parka I have , doing even light work I will sweat brains out in, in sub zero temps, use it a lot when on a tractor or atv plowing snow in dead of winter!, only thing I dislike about it, it it has very short arms in the jacket and parka, other wise a great cold weather jacket IMO

but If I still hunted a lot, I would for sure be using the arctic shield booty's without boots on when in a blind or in a big safe tree stand to do so!

00buck
12-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Well I will be out Saturday evening and pretty much all day Christmas anyone else going to be out

whodey1966
12-22-2016, 09:29 AM
I am heading out this afternoon.

zachc
12-23-2016, 12:18 AM
I am heading out this afternoon.

Have any luck whodey?

00buck
12-23-2016, 04:27 PM
I will be out Christmas

mrbb
12-24-2016, 04:06 PM
the last buck I shot in Ohio was on Christmas evening on public land, had the place to myself,
Land owners I normally hunt land, , his wife asked me not to hunt X mas day, LOL
worked out pretty good
so best of luck to you

zachc
12-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Anyone have any luck in the stand the last few days? Also want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, stay safe, and let us not forget our brothers and sisters over seas defending our freedom. Oohrah!

whodey1966
12-26-2016, 08:44 AM
No. Didn't see anything. probably go out next on weds.

00buck
12-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Seen 2 little deer about 60 yards away nothing else bumped something going to the stand this morning though windy all day

Jal5
12-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Will go tomorrow morning.

ManOfTheFall
12-29-2016, 02:13 AM
I know this is a deer hunting thread but in February I'm going on a hog hunt in Florida with an outfitter. May look into gator hunting too if the price is right. Yes, I will be using a bow. This will be my first hunt with an outfitter.

nomad_archer
12-29-2016, 09:14 AM
MOTF let up know how it goes man. Any new discussion on here is welcome.

Jal5
12-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Sounds like fun. Please post the details and successes!

Jal5
12-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Went to my stand on Tues. which I haven't used since end of gun week. Got in late after daybreak due to a truck accident on the road. Wasn't in the stand 30 min. Listening to squirrels. Out came a doe behind me then 5 more followed. I was sure a buck would be with them but no good. They browsed right in front 20-25 yds for 20 minutes. Fun to watch. Should have taken a picture.

zachc
12-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Went to my stand on Tues. which I haven't used since end of gun week. Got in late after daybreak due to a truck accident on the road. Wasn't in the stand 30 min. Listening to squirrels. Out came a doe behind me then 5 more followed. I was sure a buck would be with them but no good. They browsed right in front 20-25 yds for 20 minutes. Fun to watch. Should have taken a picture.

That's good to hear Jal! I haven't been out in a few weeks but I dumped some corn and pulled my camera card yesterday. MUCH to my surprise, on DEC 18th I had a nice doe, a button buck, 5 pointer, ok 8 pointer, and the big 12 were all in front of the stand on and off from about 2:45-4:00 in the afternoon! The first daytime videos I've had all year...woohoo finally! Hopefully that's a good trend.

And you should have taken a picture...and taken some backstraps! Lol

00buck
12-30-2016, 04:06 AM
Yes back straps

Jal5
12-30-2016, 08:18 AM
I decided before the season started that I would only shoot a decent buck on that property. So far only a small 6 in Oct. seen.

zachc
01-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Soooo......?

zachc
01-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Ok fellas so I need to vent to someone who understands...I think I've posted on here before about the neighbor who hunts with the hawks, I've ran into him a few times back behind the house and he's asked me about my stand and literally tracked his dogs right in front of it after he asked me about it, then he also steps in one of my scrapes that I just freshened and asked "are these yours or the deer's?" Well bud they are 15-20 yards in front of my stand so I'm pretty sure they're mine!!! That's just a couple times I've ran into back there. Tonight I hear a beagal going crazy and here comes a rabbit and 2 of his beagals and him tromping thru my yard and the woods, and wouldn't you know it, its about 30 minutes before dark, prime time for deer movement! Now every time I've seen him back there this year, it has been right after sunrise or right before dark, never in the middle of the day! Do y'all think that he's doing this on purpose?

I can't really say much cuz its not my woods so I gotta kind of just bite the bullet but wtf!!! Asuch time and prep I've put into making this a good stand with low pressure, it seems like he's doing this sh*t intentionally!?!

00buck
01-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Ok fellas so I need to vent to someone who understands...I think I've posted on here before about the neighbor who hunts with the hawks, I've ran into him a few times back behind the house and he's asked me about my stand and literally tracked his dogs right in front of it after he asked me about it, then he also steps in one of my scrapes that I just freshened and asked "are these yours or the deer's?" Well bud they are 15-20 yards in front of my stand so I'm pretty sure they're mine!!! That's just a couple times I've ran into back there. Tonight I hear a beagal going crazy and here comes a rabbit and 2 of his beagals and him tromping thru my yard and the woods, and wouldn't you know it, its about 30 minutes before dark, prime time for deer movement! Now every time I've seen him back there this year, it has been right after sunrise or right before dark, never in the middle of the day! Do y'all think that he's doing this on purpose?

I can't really say much cuz its not my woods so I gotta kind of just bite the bullet but wtf!!! Asuch time and prep I've put into making this a good stand with low pressure, it seems like he's doing this sh*t intentionally!?!
I would guess he is doing it on purpose I would be polite and ask him or the land owner to maybe mention it to him

ManOfTheFall
01-03-2017, 01:23 AM
So it's been a couple weeks since I've been out. I was planning on going this past Friday and Saturday but I have a nasty cold and I want it gone before I go back out again. Muzzle loader is coming up here so I probably won't make it out until after that. I did check on the gator hunting and the pricing starts out at 1,200 for a 6 footer. Then it goes up as they get bigger. Usually 10 foot and up will be anywhere from 2200 to 2500. So it looks like the gator hunting may have to wait a bit on that.

zachc
01-06-2017, 11:27 PM
So back to this possible neighbor issue...since at least the beginning of Nov I have been dumping corn in front of my stand. Once they found it, I have gone back about once a week and all the corn is gone. I went back Wednesday morning to dump some more (its been a week+) and I still have a decent pile there. Obviously I think "hmm what's going on?" And then the more I think, along with my last post, maybe the dang neighbor put something on my corn to keep the deer away from it. ??? What do you thijk the odds are of that? I mean for 2 months its been demolished every time I go back and now a few days after I see him back there, there is still a bunch of corn there???

whodey1966
01-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Maybe his presence has spooked the deer out of the area?? Hard to tell?

zachc
01-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Well I went back today and checked/refilled the corn pile, which was surprisingly mostly eaten. Yesterday at 2:30 pm I got a couple pics of some yearlings eating on it. Due to family/house chores, I'm gonna to try a morning sit tomorrow with the BowTech and hopefully get a nice fat doe in front of the stand! Gettin to be crunch time fellas, anyone else still at it?

ManOfTheFall
01-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Once I get over this cold which has dragged on like forever, I plan on doing a few more hunts. I would like at least 2 more does and who knows if the big guy walks past me that's if he still has his antlers I would love to have a crack at him.

zachc
01-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Well I was set up and checked the clock at 7:09, before I could get my gloves back on I had 2 yearlings trot in from the pines behind me. They ran straight for the corn pile and ate on it for awhile before they mozied through the woods. Only sat until a lil after 9 but didn't see anything else. Positive note was the corn pile worked perfectly, had them both at 15 yards broadside and heads behind a tree eating.

zachc
01-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Anyone make it out for muzzleloader?

00buck
01-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Nope threw back out about 2 weeks ago and have been on light duty well I mean in no condition to be dragging anything and can't sit still long without alot of pain and have to change position frequently

Jal5
01-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Went out Sat. Afternoon and saw the biggest buck of the season. Have only seen him after dark before on neighboring property. Don't you know I shot right over him! My friend saw the same deer next day and confirmed he was big.

zachc
01-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Well that sucks and sorry to hear 00buck. Hopefully it feels better soon, still gotta couple weeks lol. And Jal that REALLY sucks! But hey like I said, we still gotta couple weeks lol! Think anyone else tagged him over the weekend?

Jal5
01-13-2017, 05:17 PM
My buddy saw him on Sunday last weekend very distinctive rack. I may go bowhunting one more time! Else it's next year maybe bigger too.

zachc
01-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Well hopefully you can tag him! I'll prolly be able to get in the stand a couple more times, kinda depends on this crazy ass weather too lol.

zachc
01-21-2017, 11:58 PM
WHOA! HOLD UP GUYS...DONT EVERYONE POST AT ONCE!!!

Glad to see this site is still up and busy lol!

Jal5
01-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Bad cold thx to my grandkids this weekend. Hopefully one last chance next weekend

ManOfTheFall
01-23-2017, 01:13 AM
I would like to get out and get one more here real soon.

zachc
01-23-2017, 01:38 PM
I am off next Friday-Monday so I should be able to get at least 2 more sits in this year, plus the weather is supposed to turn somewhat cold again toward the end of the week so hopefully that'll help us. Checked the camera a few days ago and had a fair amount of videos, looks like the bucks are running in bachelor groups again.

nomad_archer
01-25-2017, 07:18 AM
Good luck you everyone going out one more time. This place has pretty much flat lined. Honestly I would be surprised if it is still here come next hunting season.

zachc
02-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Has this site been down for anyone else the last 4-5 days??? ....if anyone is still out there???

nomad_archer
02-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Has this site been down for anyone else the last 4-5 days??? ....if anyone is still out there???

Yep site was down. Said the account with the hosting service was suspended. Which seems to happen every few months. Wonder if the bill aren't getting paid on time.

00buck
02-02-2017, 07:06 AM
At least 4 or 5 days

mrbb
02-05-2017, 04:41 PM
I still check in, but this site is pretty SLOW, not sure what its future is, based on this

sad , was once a awesome site

just look at how few of bucks were killed or shown on this site all deer season, and thats the BUSY season here anymore, dies off afterwards BIG time
I think this site's day's are getting numbered

I'm in a BIG coyote hunt, Mosquitoe creek sportsman club hunt

open state wide in PA<
and about a $40,000.00 dollar pot this yr
first prize last yr was over $16,000.00

anyone interested do a online look at there web site, hunt is Feb 17-18-19 2017

ManOfTheFall
02-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I thought maybe the site was done for. I never did get back out. I guess it's time to start preparing for Big Brow Double Drop next season. I have some tricks up my sleeve for him next season. Anyone else get out the closing days of the season, any success? Now its hog hunting in a couple weeks down in Florida. I can't wait!!!!!

Jal5
02-06-2017, 07:37 AM
That big one is safe for another year. Nothing on Sat. Afternoon. Not even a squirrel. Need another stand on the other side of the property so I can play the wind better. My goal for the early spring. Now on to coyote hunting.

zachc
02-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Went out the 2nd to last Sunday and didn't see a thing. Planned on going out Sunday but woke up and super high winds, mix that with low confidence about seeing one in daylight, and yeah I went back to bed lol. Pulled my card tho and they are still back there just nothing during the day. Seems like they are moving through on and off all night and then from about 6 am to 7 pm...nothing. I redid my corn pile with some bungee cords tho soaybe I can at least get some sheds off of that!

ManOfTheFall
02-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Hog hunting in Florida was a blast and a big success!!!!! Here are some pics.

mrbb
02-24-2017, 01:50 PM
cool and I bet there tasty too
I been watching them hog hunts in Texas the one outfitter has, he flys you around in a heli and lets you shoot all you can from it out the side door on it with either an AR, or a full auto
MAN that sounds like a fun way to burn up some ammo

Only got to shoot once from a helicopter , and thought that was WAY cool
love to do again some day!

David1988
09-27-2017, 07:07 AM
On a positive note I did see quite a few deer (https://hunthacks.com/) this morning tho! Had a handful of them move in on me before daylight, one walked 6-7 yards from the stand. After 8 o'clock I didn't see a single deer.

mrbb
09-28-2017, 05:33 PM
pretty warm this time of yr, most deer my way are still very nocturnal due to excessive HIGH heat wave we have been having here>

cooler temps a coming! should help get them up sooner in evenings?

zachc
10-10-2017, 02:14 AM

Here's the view from my new set on a new piece of property I got to hunt this year. Not exactly where I wanted it but most of the woods there is very thick and it's hard to get back there, but I think it's a pretty good spot. I've sat in our twice this year and haven't had any luck but it's still early.

What's everyone else's set up looking like this year?? Anyone filled a tag yet?

00buck
10-19-2017, 08:26 PM

Here's the view from my new set on a new piece of property I got to hunt this year. Not exactly where I wanted it but most of the woods there is very thick and it's hard to get back there, but I think it's a pretty good spot. I've sat in our twice this year and haven't had any luck but it's still early.

What's everyone else's set up looking like this year?? Anyone filled a tag yet?Where are you from

zachc
10-23-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm in Clermont co

zachc
10-26-2017, 12:33 AM

Well I made it to the stand this morning for a few hours before work. I figured after 2 days of rain and high winds had stopped and temps dropped, surely something was going to be moving...errrr wrong! Lol. It actually was a beautiful morning but zero deer movement on my end. I did set the buck decoy out and hit the horns a few times. Try again this weekend...

mrbb
10-26-2017, 06:04 PM
yeah last 2 days here wee nutty with high winds and downpours, and then high winds at the end, today It was 30 degree when I got up, 10 am I had snow flurries, 10:15 I had rain, and 10:30 I had sunshine, never got above 40 degree's
wasn't hunting but sure seemed like a day things should have been moving!
Keep at it, sooner or later things will work out for you!

zachc
11-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Good sit yesterday evening. Had a spike within range and caught a glimpse of a really nice buck moving through the brush. On the way our I was able to walk within 15-20 yards from another small buck who was feeding in the grass field before he trotted off unsure of what I was. Then as I'm driving home a see a deer jump out of the woods where I was hunting, about 200 yards from my stand, he stops I the ditch right beside me and I'm able to get a good look at him..and boy he's a beast! I could tell it was him cuz a big kicker off his left G3 ( buck on the left in the pic). I haven't seen or had a pic of him since mid summer. So there is still a lil hope on killing him lol...

00buck
11-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Good luck zac

zachc
11-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Thank I'm gonna need it if the season keeps going this slow! Lol. I think I'm going to try and move on a bit closer to where I saw him run out of the woods, it's crazy thick back there and I'm guessing that's where he's breeding. Just don't want to blow it up and scare him out of there. I have vacation coming Saturday through next Thursday and I plan on hitting the woods hard and hopefully putting some horns on the ground ��

ManOfTheFall
11-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Hey guys! It's been awhile. I thought I'd drop in and see how things are going here. I moved over to bowhunting.com That place is the happening place on the web. All my other old sites have very little action on them at all. Here is my #1 hit lister. He showed up in daylight a few days ago. Unfortunately I was not in my stand at that time.

Jal5
11-08-2017, 07:58 PM
It was a really good day for being in the stand today. Saw 6 does and 2 bucks. The larger buck an 8 was out of range. The small 6 showed up twice once dogging a hot doe right behind my stand. I let them pass did a good thing for this EHD herd.

Jal5
11-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Another good morning. Saw 8 deer and could have shot two does but am not shooting any does due to the herd taking a beating with EHD here. Then that 8pt shows up out of nowhere just as i turn to look left. He goes behind a big tree and i bleat at him to pause but still no shot. He took off trotting but didn’t seem really spooked.

zachc
11-20-2017, 11:16 PM
So I had a good morning in the stand, although they were all small i saw 3 bucks behind the house. The 1st came in to 10 yards and then the other 2 were walking together. It doesn't sound like much but being that I hardly see deer while in the stand back there, 3 in 1 sit is great lol. Then this evening Had a small buck walk across the field in front of the house and back into the woods which is good. Sounds like the corn on the back of the woods was being picked tonight so hopefully that'll help with some deer movement.

zachc
11-20-2017, 11:24 PM
I gotta ask...has anyone seen much rut activity this year?? Scrapes, rubs, chasing, etc? For me I have pretty much seen 0, silch, none. About 2 scrapes and a couple rubs, and doesn't seem they are staying in the scrapes and keeping them active.

Also this year I have a lot of pics/videos of yearnings (does and button bucks) still hanging out with the larger does?? Shouldn't the mature does have "kicked them away" for the rut? At least the button bucks? And then today I saw 2 bucks already running together again?? I've heard bucks kinda get back in bachelor groups somewhat after the rut, but I wouldn't think the rut is completely over where they should be grouped back up?

What kind of rut activity are y'all seeing?

nomad_archer
11-21-2017, 07:59 AM
I haven't hunted for over a week but the second week of november in PA was miserable. I found an area with lots of sign, scrapes, rubs, poop. But only saw a few deer. Day time movement was way down. I am guessing my vacation missed the rut this year.

00buck
11-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Nothing here other than some light chasing and a mature buck having yeah with a doe

Anyone out for gun opener

zachc
12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Anyone still out there trying to fill a tag?

I have one left and hopefully will be able to put one more slickhead in the freezer.

mrbb
12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
HAHA< I haven't even bought a hunting lic, or tags this yr at all, so, I'm not out there trying to fill any tags, but have been out a lot wandering the woods here, and been upstate NY snowmobiling, got like 6+ ft in many area's I was at, but WOW< last few days been super cold, Thursday morning was minus 34 and NOT joking

but its sure looking like this site is almost at its end, went right thru deer season and almost NO pick up on posts
I think this site won't be here next yr at this rate!

zachc
12-30-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm cool on the negative temps mrbb lol. Last night we got our first significant snowfall of the year, about 3-4 inches, and it's just now starting to get real cold...but nothing in the minus. As far as this site being up next year, I think we all saw it coming unfortunately. I'll keep poking my head in here every now and then until it shuts down tho.

mrbb
12-30-2017, 11:19 AM
yeah I don't mind the cold either, have sat up in Alberta a few times for 10+ hrs in minus 20 and lower temps all day ina tree LOL

as for site, I pop in now and then, but seldom see anything, but do try and reply to thing when I see them, hoping maybe others will too, but its SLOW in here for sure and just keeps getting slower
best of luck filling your tag and have a good new yrs