PDA

View Full Version : Wierd growth

Mikebaker
08-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? If so did the deer survive? First time ive seen this on our farm. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/b097dd697654bb14896cad387b752e10.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/f2d76cc1f9bbb8fefc04dd08f5eb27d2.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160828/90f36a928bcfd5f469e736ebdccb5a23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

zachc
08-28-2016, 01:07 AM
I've seen pictures of deer with similar growths but never actually any in person. If I had to guess I would guess some sort of large tumor or possibly caused by an injury like being hit by a car. Are these the only pics of this deer that you have, any video clips? Just wonder if he's able to use that front leg or not? It's a shame to cuz he looks like he has a lot of potential.

zachc
10-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Any more pics of this guy Mike?

mrbb
10-25-2016, 06:26 PM
wow I guess I missed this
but , YES over the yrs I have seen all sorts of deer with tumors like that in odd places
I think there from a combination of different cause's
some times from an injury, some times from ,being wounded, and some times they just grow wild and crazy fatty tumors like that
normally there harmless until they interfere with there ability to move or eat, and then?? they are what they are
and can lead to a slow death for them, pending what/where they are
many yrs back, a local deer had one on the side of its face that started small and grew to about the size of a softball, poor deer couldn;'t chew anymore or close its mouth.
I THINK a local put it out of its misery, due to the state at the time didn;'t want to "interfere" with nature?

zachc
10-25-2016, 06:28 PM

I checked my camera 2 weeks ago and had a bunch of videos of this guy. Not sure what he has wrong with him but he is covered head to hoof in warts/tumors, including about half his face. Seems to be getting around ok all things considered. And he's not really a bad buck.

mrbb
10-25-2016, 10:11 PM

I checked my camera 2 weeks ago and had a bunch of videos of this guy. Not sure what he has wrong with him but he is covered head to hoof in warts/tumors, including about half his face. Seems to be getting around ok all things considered. And he's not really a bad buck.

man I feel bad for that poor guy, looks like he has one on his lower lip, and he looks pretty thin as is too! bet its effecting his eating

zachc
10-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Oh he definitely has some on his jaw and mouth area. I emailed the DNR about him and asked if there is a way to take him out of the herd without having to use one of my tags, and they still haven't replied.

mrbb
10-26-2016, 04:35 PM
I sadly am going to say the answer there going to tell you is NO
I went down that road here in PA , and well there opinion was its a buck and its alive, shoot it and thats your deer?
Mother nature will handle things if I choose to NOT shoot it?/
NOW< PA game dept I THINK sucks, and not said lightkly but rather after too many BAD experiences when they could have stepped up and been more helpful with little work on there part!

However, the positive side is, all my dealings with OHIO"S game dept have been outstanding, so MAYBE here for you
I do however think they might WISH to be the party that dispatched the critter, so if its a pretty patterned buck or feeding in a same field, you might be able to have them come and take it out>
which I think is the right think to do
but as MY wardens told me, Coyotes have to eat too??
so good luck!

zachc
10-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Well No is the answer I'm expecting to get back, if they decide to reply. And on one hand I see why they would say if I shoot it I have to use my tag but on the other hand, honestly I wouldn't touch the meat. He has a pretty decent rack on him and would make a great European mount for the wall but personally I will not use my buck tag on him, being we are only permitted to tag one per season. I'm gonna shoot them another e-mail and see what they say, if they don't reply oh well I guess.

mrbb
10-27-2016, 10:18 AM
I can understand, its hard to eat a tag when you only get one
I have been in this spot a few times with very badly injured bucks both here in PA, and on a rather costly Alberta deer hunt
but I did what I felt needed doing, and ate my tag and killed the poor critter,
not bashing as its a personal; choice for sure.
It just bothers me to see a critter suffer.

ON a side note, pending what the true cause is, I think I read detailed story once on these tumors and they CLAIM it was still safe to eat the meats, BUt honestly, I wouldn't either !!
WHY risk that side of things

most of these things I understand are like Fatty tumors, just c=build up and they then continue to grow and grow

hopefully he will make it till gun season and someone will NOT look too long before pulling the trigger and save it some suffering, as odds are its going to starve to death with them like that, and thats a long slow death for the poor guy!