PDA

View Full Version : Should I hunt this place and if so, how?

bporter
10-20-2015, 07:32 PM
So my dad has 16 aces that was supposed to be corn this year. Well apparently the farmer as dad says, "the farmer sucks" and this is the result. A pic from my tree stand.
[http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/a8a077fa2caf5618f92eb9d22a58e06b.jpg

About 5-8 feet tall THICK. Stuff. Literally some of the thickest stuff i have seen. I can't even see trails in and out of there but quite a few signs on the perimeter.

Here is an arial shot of the property. Only able to place a stand here is marked here, I have had this stand here for literally 4 years I think I have hunted this place a total of 6 times in those four years.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/20/d09e90af5e806262747ac40f3db30008.jpg

I am thinking this could be a decent spot for the rut as I am thinking this could be a great bedding area I don't have any cameras up, and like I said I don't hunt it much.

If you think it's a legit spot, how would you attack it? I know it's late but still my areas to hunt are limited to cut bean and corn fields as we speak so this being a prime bedding area I think it could be a nice spot in a couple weeks.

What are you all thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zachc
10-21-2015, 01:29 AM
I would agree with the bedding thought. From the aerial photo (great app BTW, I have it on my phone and love it!) It looks like this fields sets/connects a few different small plots of woods and I would think this would be a good travel corridor for them. Am I understanding it right, you can only put a stand on the marked spot? Reason I ask is because it looks like the is a small chunk of woods the belongs with the field? Could you set a stand there? Or maybe in one of the corners that has some timber? As far as how to hunt it, I would say you're gonna have to do some scouting, looking for paths and what not. Also if you have the means and time, I would say one good shot at directing deer you way, bush hog some lanes throughout the field. If its that's thick in there and the deer are using the field, I would bush hog some paths that go right in front of your stand. Deer are gonna take the path of least resistance as long as they feel safe, and you could definitely use that to your advantage.

bporter
10-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Stand location is very limited here. When we put the stand up, this was the only location we could put it. No other trees large enough.

LAOhio
10-21-2015, 07:47 AM
What phone app is that?

nomad_archer
10-21-2015, 09:02 AM
So you have 5-8 of thicket. Go and hunt it and see what you can learn. If you only have 1 stand location then hunt that.

zachc
10-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Should be some trees big enough now, 4 years of growing may have helped, lol. App is HuntStand or HuntStand lite

bporter
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
I have looked each year for a new stand location. Just isn't there.

mrbb
10-21-2015, 02:04 PM
you might also want to make sure neighbors will allow you to recover a deer that makes it to there side of the property
as IF they refuse, your screwed, and might NOT be worth hunting here!
NOT to be a downer here, just giving some into to think about!

nomad_archer
10-21-2015, 03:15 PM
If you cant put in a stand sounds like time to get a blind. They work very well.

heelbilly
10-21-2015, 04:56 PM
None of the trees off to the right side of the field are large enough for a stand? I agree with nomad, go hunt. Take a good pair of Binos and watch. You can learn from that. Also what Zach said is a good idea as well, the bush hog thought. Although that's advice I need to take, and find a bush hog somewhere to cut me some lanes through the field on my property. It grows thicker every year.

bporter
10-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Neighbors are awesome. Offered to help track and drag a deer if I get one.

The NE part is not pops land, or I would hunt that spot.

A blind or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was thinking about getting a bush hog this weekend, making one main trail, then a few others all intersect with the main trail into a little "kill spot" I don't know 30-50 yards around my stand/shooting lanes. How far should I go w these trails?

After that should I lay corn down? This has corn on it, but the stalks are the size of a nickel and ears of corn are the size of your thumb.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm still quite new to the sport but I am always trying to learn. Hoping that year six is the year I get my first buck down. I have been picky, but you only get to kill your first buck once.

Thanks again fellas!!

whodey1966
10-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Imo, this time of the season, I wouldn't go in and disturb this area and possible scare off the deer who are use to bedding there. I wouldn't worry about corn this time of the season, The last thing on Bucks minds this time of the year is there stomachs, they are wanting to breed.

radicalxl
10-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Imo, this time of the season, I wouldn't go in and disturb this area and possible scare off the deer who are use to bedding there. I wouldn't worry about corn this time of the season, The last thing on Bucks minds this time of the year is there stomachs, they are wanting to breed.
Don't forget that the does still eat, the bucks will be where they are.

whodey1966
10-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Don't forget that the does still eat, the bucks will be where they are.

I realize that rad, I was just saying,IMO, I wouldn't disturb this area and risk scaring off the deer at this time of the year. Hunting is about to get real good!!

treelounger
10-25-2015, 08:51 AM
If you have walked this property and you said there are very few trails in and out of this thick stuff, I would wonder if there are many deer using it. If this property has been farmed in the past and there are crops on the surrounding properties these deer would be used to equipment. Brush hogging some trails through it would have little affect on them in the days to follow. I would brush hog a trail from one side to the other as close to my stand location as possible keeping in mind prevailing wind directions and the natural travel patterns of the deer. And while I was brush hogging I'd jump out set up a camera and see what happens. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zachc
11-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Tried hunting this spot yet...?

bporter
11-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Went out there last weekend, boy has the sign really picked up. Three scrapes 6-8 rubs on a line within 100 yards of each other. I sat once didn't see much till last light but I'll be out again this weekend I think

zachc
11-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Sweet, good luck. Did you try to improve anything or just rolling with it?

bporter
11-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Apparently the farmer who planted here (we lease it out) is filing a claim for insurance purposes so if would have cleared it out he said he wouldn't get his claim. Just went with it.