PDA

View Full Version : Team #2 check in here!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
10-06-2015, 02:53 PM
ManOfTheFall checking in.

zachc
10-06-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm here! Let's get it done!

heelbilly
10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm here. Went out for the first time yesterday morning, didn't see squat. If I'd have gone out Monday morning could have had a fat doe according to my camera.

ManOfTheFall
10-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Looks like I will be getting out Thursday evening and Saturday evening for sure. I will probably also get out Monday morning. I may or may not get out Thursday morning, it depends on work.

heelbilly
10-07-2015, 05:39 PM
My next target day is either Saturday evening after my son's football, or Sunday morning...maybe both :)

zachc
10-07-2015, 11:23 PM
I'm gonna try to get my butt up out of bed early Saturday morning before work and make it to the stand. I think Saturday is going to be a good day to be on stand, after a warm week and then I think highs in the low-mid 60's...oh yeah! Checked my cameras today and last week whem it was nice and cool out, the deer movement definitley picked up. No shooters on camera yet but still have a lot of corn up. Anyways if I can't make it, Sunday is a for sure and maybe Monday.

heelbilly
10-08-2015, 09:24 AM
We got some work to do zach. MOTF is crushing it so far. I figure a couple more weeks of killing does, then after Thanksgiving. So I need to kill something soon, lol.

Where you hunt at in Clermont County?

ManOfTheFall
10-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Doe #3 down!!!!!. The arrow was soaked in blood from broadhead to nock. It was about 8:35 and I looked behind me and I saw 3 coming. The big one lagged behind a bit but it didn't take long before she was out in front of me. I let the arrow fly at 8:40. She ran about 30 yards and did a couple flips and I thought she was done. But, she got back up and ran about 20 more yards and did the staggering thing then went down. I took all my stuff down to the truck then came back up to get her and she was already dead. Here are a few pics.

ManOfTheFall
10-09-2015, 03:03 AM
I didn't get out Thursday evening, but the grandson and I will be going out Friday evening and I will be hitting one of my new spots Saturday evening.

ManOfTheFall
10-10-2015, 12:26 AM
I had a chat with my grandson and he said there ain't no way I'm going to shoot a small buck. In the blind tonight I heard a twig snap and I was pretty sure a deer was coming. I told him to get ready and he says I don't see anything and I said I don't either. I said look here you should see one in a few seconds. We have a 1 1/2 old buck we call forky. He is a fork horn with a tiny crab claw on the left side. I said oh it's just forky but you don't want to shoot him. he was shaking like a leaf and said let me shoot him. I said ok. Unfortunately he never gave us a good clean shot. He was close enough but no shot. It was at least a good experience for him and he learns what are good shot opportunities and what aren't. That was at least the first buck I saw on a hunt this year as well. Anyhow, I will be going to my new spot Saturday evening. Hopefully I will see some action there.

mossbergbryson
10-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Haha that's awesome. I never wanna shoot a small deer.... until it walks out in front of me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zachc
10-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Well it was a perfect morning...except the deer movement. This corn is killing me, lol. Unfortunately I was only able to stay out until about 9:30 or so but didn't see any movement. Could have filled the freezer with squirrels tho!! Sounded like world war 3 around me, they were running through every tree in the woods and had hickory nuts and sticks falling like bombs all morning. Anyways gotta work here in a bit but we'll give it another shot tomorrow and maybe Monday.

ManOfTheFall
10-10-2015, 11:41 PM
This evening I sat in my new spot I call the turkey stand. Well, I didn't call it that for nothing. I had turkeys walking past my stand. Then about 6:30, anywhere from 40 to 80 yards away they were flying up into their roosts. Although I didn't see a deer tonight this area has a lot of good sign and I think it will produce. My next time out will probably be Monday morning. After that it will be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

heelbilly
10-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Back in the stand for trip number 2. Trail cam pics indicate a big Ole momma and a few yearlings move through around 9 most mornings. If they move today, momma going down.

heelbilly
10-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Just like clockwork they strolled through...and just like my luck the wind started swirling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Just like clockwork they strolled through...and just like my luck the wind started swirling.

There is always the next time. Good chance you will get her.

ManOfTheFall
10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get out Monday morning, I felt I needed the sleep. Next time out will probably be Thursday through Saturday.

heelbilly
10-12-2015, 10:38 AM
There is always the next time. Good chance you will get her.
Four more steps is all I needed....

ManOfTheFall
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Been there done that many times. Friday evening all my grandson need was for the buck to step out from behind the branches but he turned and walked away.

zachc
10-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Well that's a good start to the year at least right? And its good to see the cameras helping you out and in another month hopefully those does will be on the same patterns and have a nice big boyfriend following right behind them, lol.

As far as my morning today, good news and bad news....uhh I guess good news first: Despite wanting really badly to sleep in, I crawled out of bed, headed to my uncles (which I haven't hunted yet this year), and made it to the stand well before daylight. Apparently my scent control game is on point cuz at 8:30 I had a beautiful 10 pointer a good 130 class stroll through at 35 yards, directly down wind with 10 mph winds and he was oblivious that I was there. Now I (we) have been hunting my uncles property for 10-12 years and have tried to manage bucks year after year, passing on a WHOLE lot of small bucks for this one moment, all the practice in the off season, new bow and equipment, for sure shooter broadside 35 yards, everything is perfect, and guess what...I had to let him walk!!! Yeah I said it, I had to watch him walk away slowly out of sight. And why you might ask, that brings me to the bad news...after hunting the property for soo long, apparently my uncle has been getting some pics of a few Big bucks this year so as a result (and he has never told me this before) he tells me last night "Does only" and when I saw him this morning as he was pulling out for work, he smirks and says "Remember there's 3-4 big bucks out here and they're mine." Wtf!!!! I understand him wanting to kill a big one but 1) he mainly gun hunts and rarely bow hunts and 2) no one has put more preparation and time in the stand out there than me. But I didn't argue with him, his property his rules. Haven't ask my dad if he told him the same thing but I kinda doubt it. But I will tell you one thing for sure, I'll be damned if I tell any of them that I saw that big one this morning, or any big ones for that matter. Anyways I guess overall it was a good morning. Gonna go out tomorrow and adjust my stand behind the house and maybe try to slide out a day or two this week before work.

zachc
10-12-2015, 11:19 PM
So I just read my last post and wanted to clarify something, when I said my uncle told me the 3-4 bucks were for him, he meant he was the only one allowed to shoot one of the 3-4 bucks. He's not a poacher and usually shoots no more than 1 deer a year on a good year. Just sounded bad to me when I re-read it.

mossbergbryson
10-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Well just know that all the work you're putting in during bow season can't be replicated in gun season. I've seen your posts and know you're knowledgeable enough to land that great deer that "your allowed to shoot". Keep calm and bow hunt on lol

nomad_archer
10-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Zach it is what it is but you got it right, his land his rules.

ManOfTheFall
10-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Any ideas for a team name guys?

heelbilly
10-14-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm not very creative when it comes to that stuff.

Hardwood Hunters
Chasin' Tail
Blood Thirsty Killers ....haha

I got nothing else.

ManOfTheFall
10-14-2015, 11:54 PM
It's nice to have a lot of stands to choose from but now I have to choose one for the morning sit, hummmmm?????

ManOfTheFall
10-15-2015, 02:20 AM
I have 11 spots on 2 different properties plus I hunt 2 separate public areas in 2 different counties to help me get the state wide limit. Usually on those spots I get most of my does.

zachc
10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Had to work early today. Bout to grab a quick bite and hit the stand for a couple of hours. Be my first evening hunt this year, hopefully be able to put some meat in the freezer...mmmm

ManOfTheFall
10-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Good luck!!!!!

zachc
10-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Well good and bad...good is I saw 3 does, bad is they were about 200 yards out and didn't come any closer. Not a bad evening but could have definitely done without the crazy winds. Next sit will be sometime Sunday and prolly Monday.

heelbilly
10-16-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm going to give it a go in the AM. The wind isn't really favorable for any of my sets, but I can't kill them on the couch. Coldest morning of the year, so I'll be in the woods...may have to adjust on the fly and set up on the ground. Will update in the AM.

ManOfTheFall
10-17-2015, 11:29 AM
I thought for sure I would at least see some this morning, but didn't see a thing. I'm going back out this evening to a different spot.

heelbilly
10-17-2015, 07:27 PM
I saw 4 this morning, over 100 yds away. It was a doe and 3 yearlings. One of the other coaches told me at the football game today he had bucks chasing does this morning. None of that action where I hunt.

ManOfTheFall
10-17-2015, 08:10 PM
This evening I set my camera up in a new spot before I got into the stand and I saw 2 coming towards me. They were 2 little ones. They were the only 2 I saw all evening.

ManOfTheFall
10-19-2015, 01:05 AM
This week it looks mostly like evening hunts. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. I might be able to slip in a Tuesday morning and possibly Thursday morning hunts. I will keep you posted.

zachc
10-19-2015, 11:31 PM
So I had to go out and move my stand behind the house today. Moved it around the tree last week, due to between about 8:15 to 9 there's 1 spot in the woods that the sunrise hits like a spotlight...and wouldn't you know it that is where my stand was. Well didn't help much moving it last week so I went in today and moved to another tree about 15-20 yards away. I'm thinking it looks and feels like a better set up but we'll see, only bad thing is I'm a lot closer to another stand than i want to be. Don't know if I'll get in the stand before I go to work any day this week but I might try.

Funny story of the night...the wife sat last night night in the blind set up by the feeder/food plots and saw a deer right at dark. So of course she wants to sit again tonight, which is cool with me. Well here's 7:30 and she's not in yet, 7:45 pretty much dark as sh*t outside and still nothing, now 8:00 rolls around and nothing, phone starts ringing and its her. Now I'm thinking to myself there's ko way she shot a deer cuz its been pitch black out for a bit now, answer the phone and here's what I got, "I need you to come out here and save me! There's coyotes right behind me and they won't go away! I've made noises and everything and they won't leave and I forgot a flashlight!" Me- "What? Are you serious?" Her- "Yes, come get me out of here!" So I grab a light and go out there, "Did you hear them howling?" Her- "No but I heard them walking" Me- "So you didn't hear them howling but you heard them walking so you know it was coyotes?" Her- "Well yeah, what else could it be!"... I just thought it was funny lol!

ManOfTheFall
10-20-2015, 11:14 AM
That is pretty hilarious.

ManOfTheFall
10-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Last nights sit was a bust. I only saw one on my way in. I may or may not get out this evening. I will definitely be out Thursday and Friday evenings for sure.

ManOfTheFall
10-21-2015, 12:34 AM
No luck Tuesday evening either. Next time out will be Thursday evening. It seems like the movement has just died here since it warmed up again. I'm hoping next week will be different. I start my vacation on the 29th and don't head back to work until the 14th.

heelbilly
10-21-2015, 05:04 PM
My next target date is Friday. Gonna try a mid morning hunt, after I take my son to school and see what I can see.

ManOfTheFall
10-23-2015, 01:36 AM
Thursday evening I started seeing deer again. About 6:15 I saw 2 about 60 yards out but couldn't tell what they were. Then, at 6:30 I had 2 yearlings pass behind me at 30 yards. At 6:45 I had 2, year and a half old bucks pass right in front of my stand at 25 yards. So, from what I could see nothing I wanted to shoot but after 3 sits of seeing nothing it looks like the action is starting to pick up again.

ManOfTheFall
10-23-2015, 01:45 AM
Friday evening I will be taking out the grandson again then Saturday evening it will be just me again. Next week is when it should start getting real good. My last day of work is Wednesday night and I get off at 4 am Thursday morning. I don't go back until the night of the 14th.

ManOfTheFall
10-23-2015, 08:01 PM
The grandson was lame and said is foot was hurting too bad and he didn't want to go. I come home and find out he was riding his bike and playing football. This evening I saw one about 6:45. It came across a draw then went down towards the stand I wasn't in. Couldn't really tell how good it was.

heelbilly
10-24-2015, 10:06 PM
I didn't make it out yesterday, had something come up. I'm gonna try to get out Monday and/or Tuesday after I drop the boy off at school.

zachc
10-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Due to the oldest ones b-day party tomorrow I won't be able to get out. But maybe Monday morning and for sure Monday evening. Just saw the weather and it looks like the temps are going to go in our favor but gonna be wet! Lol. Still might have to try and slide out before work during the week, about that time of year...

ManOfTheFall
10-25-2015, 02:00 PM
I didn't get out Saturday evening, I wanted to give it a rest cause these next three weeks I'm going to be hitting it hard. Good luck to everyone. The time is upon us!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
10-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Monday morning and evening then Tuesday evening. Then my vacation starts Thursday and I will be out every day except Sundays.

heelbilly
10-26-2015, 09:49 AM
In the stand for a few hours now. I saw a buck crossing the road on the way in, didn't get a good look at the headgear though. He was running up a hill, so not sure if he was chasing something or running because he crossed the road.

ManOfTheFall
10-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Busted one on my way into the stand this morning. Didn't see anything else. Heading back out this evening.

zachc
10-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Just got settled in a lil bit ago. Decoys out and I'll try some rattling in a bit after everything calms down. Windier and warmer than I'd like but not gonna kill one at the house.

heelbilly
10-26-2015, 08:20 PM
I checked another stand location when I came down this afternoon, had a row of 7 scrapes in about 50 yards on the same trail. They always use that trail for scrapes, but not sure if I've seen that many before. I pulled the card and have some pics of another small buck, but no other shooters to this point. It won't be long now. Next time out is likely Saturday morning. The boys football team made the playoffs, so we got practices this week, and a game Saturday afternoon...and beggar's night after that.

ManOfTheFall
10-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Another quiet sit tonight. Next time out will be Tuesday evening unless those heavy rains come in earlier. After that it will be Thursday morning.

zachc
10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Well that was a bust. Sat until dark and not a deer.

ManOfTheFall
10-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Looks like the rain is going to get a later start than they thought so I will be in a stand this evening!!!!!

zachc
10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Looks like the rain is going to get a later start than they thought so I will be in a stand this evening!!!!!

Started raining sometime throughout the night here and is still going right now. Supposed to get heavier as the day goes on.

heelbilly
10-27-2015, 09:34 PM
aaaaaand still raining in my neck of the woods. Supposed to rain till sometime tomorrow night last I checked. Next chance for me will be Saturday morning.

zachc
10-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Yeah same here. Just watched the weather and says its gonna rain here until about 5-6 tomorrow evening. I think I'm gonna TRY to get up Thursday morning and get in the stand for a few before work. Thinking 2 solid days of nonstop rain, when it finally stops along with cooler temps, should put the deer on their feet...hopefully.

ManOfTheFall
10-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Saw 3 Tuesday evening but nothing I wanted to shoot. I'm looking to possibly get out Thursday morning depending on what time I can get off work. Definitely plan on being out Thursday evening and Friday morning and Saturday morning and evening. Next week I plan on a couple all day sits.

ManOfTheFall
10-29-2015, 10:03 AM
I had to get down early this morning. My eye was hurting so bad, I couldn't stand it. Hopefully I can let it rest a bit and get a new contact and it will feel better this afternoon.

zachc
10-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Weather finally broke, still a lil windy out right now but that's supposed to be gone in the next couple of hours. Be getting up in about 5 hours to head to the stand. Gonna try my uncles, you know the doe only place this year where I saw the nice 10. Even tho I "can't” shoot a buck out there, I'm gonna take the decoy and antlers to see if I can't get something in...trying to make the best of the situation and stay positive, might as well practice with my decoy set up and rattling ay! Lol. I'm really hoping a nice fat doe comes within bow range in the morning, we'll see what happens...

heelbilly
10-30-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm all set to hit the stand tomorrow morning, then it's family time the rest of the weekend. Youth football tomorrow afternoon, trick or treat tomorrow evening, and more youth football activities on Sunday. I'm gonna try to get out sometime Monday and/or Tuesday as well. Then dad comes up from NC next weekend and it'll be hardcore hunting for a few days, if I don't kill a buck before then. Then it's all him...I won't go out and shoot a doe until he's done at this point, maybe video.

ManOfTheFall
10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Nice sit this morning. Only problem was I didn't see a single deer.

zachc
10-31-2015, 12:21 AM
Well had some good luck and some bad luck this morning. Got set up in plenty of time decoy and all, absolute Beautiful morning, cold, calm, crisp, and dead silent in the woods. So about 8:30-8:45 I hit the antlers together for a min or two, and it wasn't 1 maybe 2 minutes at the most, here walks in a lil 8 pointer from behind me. I can see he's small so I break our my phone and start the video camera on it. He walks in, sees the decoy, postures up big time, walks over and scent checks him. Overall I was able to get about 7-10 minutes of footage of him (different clips) and he hung around for prolly 15 minutes or so then mozied off. About 9:30 or so 3 does walk the edge of the corn field and woods, step inside the corn so I give them a few short soft grunts, they hit the corner of the field and stop. Well momma doe doesn't want anything to do with the decoy yet but the 2 yearlings are very curious. They enter the woods after bit, I range a tree at 34 yards, 1 steps in front of the tree and momma starts stomping. You know what that means, they're about to be leaving real quick. So I draw and let it fly, this doe must have dropped a foot, and the arrow goes right over her back. They spook for a minute but not entirely. A range another spot where it looks like they might step, 45 yards, long story short, again momma starts stomping that damn foot again, so I had to draw and let another arrow fly, she jumps and turns at the same time and I thought I hit her. A minute later they exit the thicket and all walk across the beam field together. Arrows were both clean. Now as you can imagine I'm mad as hell, just had 1 duck my arrow and missed another. I know I'm good out to 35-40 yards. So I go home and shoot the block 35 yards I hit bullseye! Move to 45, and shoot about 8" high. Well a month OE so ago I had to get my cables looked at and the guy said the bow was not tuned properly so he adjusted it and I had to resight it in. Apparently I didn't sight my 45 pin in like I thought I did. So the 1st doe just ducked it and I just missed the 2nd. Anyways jumped another 2 on the way out. So I saw 6 this morning but was unable to fill a tag...and my freezer. I'll be trying again Sunday and maybe Monday.

ManOfTheFall
10-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Already called in 2 young bucks. Now just waiting on the big boy.

ManOfTheFall
10-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Saw nothing else the rest of the morning. Heading back out this evening then not til Monday morning.

ManOfTheFall
10-31-2015, 08:02 PM
Had another small buck come in on me this evening then a neighbor came through on a 4 wheeler. It chased off a deer I hadn't seen and I couldn't tell what it was when it left. Monday will be my next time out. I may try an all day sit. I am off for the next 2 weeks now after tonight.

ManOfTheFall
11-01-2015, 02:21 PM
If you can get into the deer woods tomorrow, do it. I have heard from a lot of people the chasing is on big time.

zachc
11-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I wasn't able to get out today but I did make it over to my father in laws lil couple acres to check it out for the first time this year, place where I shot those 2 does last shotgun season. Still a lot of underbrush going on out there right now but found a nice scrape that has been hit recently. The plan is to go out there in the morning and try to put some meat in the freezer.

ManOfTheFall
11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I wasn't able to get out today but I did make it over to my father in laws lil couple acres to check it out for the first time this year, place where I shot those 2 does last shotgun season. Still a lot of underbrush going on out there right now but found a nice scrape that has been hit recently. The plan is to go out there in the morning and try to put some meat in the freezer.

What about some bone on the wall!!!!!

zachc
11-01-2015, 10:04 PM
That would be great too! But I'm kinda in a predicament here, I just posted a couple pics from last week of the big one that a tried to get last year behind the house (on the trail cam pic thread). Hes a straight stud! I go on vacation here next weekend and should be able to spend a good amount of time in the stand. Soo...my hopes is I'll be able to harvest him next weekend. But then again he could disappear like he did last year. But I want that buck SO BAD! I'm gonna try to hold out for him if possible. Now if a buck as big or bigger than him walks in front of me don't think I can resist. I think a lot of it has to do with just the lil bit of history with him from spring of last year all the way through today. Guess we'll see what happens tho, the rattling antlers will be used tomorrow, have no clue what kind of bucks if any are cruising that property. Let you know tomorrow....

heelbilly
11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Went out yesterday morning and had a small doe running a creek bottom in front of me, never saw what was chasing her. Then when I got ready to get down, I had a shooter buck in the field behind me. I rattled him close, but not close enough. Not sure if I'll make it out this week, but I'll be at it hardcore next weekend. My dad is coming in from NC on Friday and we hit it real hard when he's up.

ManOfTheFall
11-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Just had a shooter buck within 30 yards but no shot opportunity.

heelbilly
11-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I stopped by the farm to swap a camera card this morning and had a buck walking up the trail I walk in on. Slipped back around the corner and tried to guess where he'd come out at. He came out behind me at 20 yds and made me before I could decide if he was a shooter or get a shot. He turned and bounded away, didn't blow. Now I'm curious if he walked by the camera.

ManOfTheFall
11-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Been slow since I saw that shooter earlier. I'm going to stick it out here and do an all day sit. I will keep you updated.

zachc
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Good luck on that all day sit, highs near 70, I'll pass, lol. But you never know tis the season. I just got home a lil bit ago from my father in laws property. When I pulled in about 5:50 I had 3 does standing where I have to park. Parked the truck and got out, the whole time I was getting ready I could hear one of them walking around no more than 40-50 yards away. She would walk around a bit then start stomping then walk some more. Eventually I heard her jump off. I sat anyways for a bit, walked to the back of the property and rattled in a small 6 that snuck up 15 yards behind me. To small let him walk. Not sure when I'll get out next, prolly one day during the week depending on the weather.

ManOfTheFall
11-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Arrowed a giant at 5:45. Decent blood but I'm not sure of shot placement so I'm going back in the morning.

ManOfTheFall
11-03-2015, 12:13 PM
After going over all the sign, the arrow, the little bit of blood, the ground we covered, and playing the shot over in my head and conversing with the tracker we came to the conclusion this deer is still on his feet. So as bad as I feel right now, I want redemption that much more.

ManOfTheFall
11-04-2015, 06:33 PM
I saw a lot of action in the morning just couldn't get anything close enough. I'm going Thursday morning and evening and Friday evening then all day Saturday.

ManOfTheFall
11-05-2015, 11:27 AM
This morning I only heard one about 15 minutes before shooting light. This evening I'm going back to where I sat Monday and hit that big one. I am fairly certain he is still alive. Haven't seen any buzzards and it's going on 3 days since I shot him. Hoping lightning will strike twice only this time I will be better prepared and ready!!!!!

heelbilly
11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Good luck, I'll be hitting it hard this weekend. Have to get through the next day and a half of work first.

heelbilly
11-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Lots of activity this am so far, no shooters yet.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/07/5874643dc26b924557b738d85ef109c7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/07/f6512880c964c1161bbc4aac143f323a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/07/22c658b0ba51beeb2e034b029eb65c03.jpg

00buck
11-07-2015, 10:22 AM
You guys are lucky haven't seen a team member on here since they where drawn went out last night and nothing maybe tomorrow morning will be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zachc
11-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Any more luck heelbilly?

Well I went back this afternoon and staged my decoy at the base of my tree and covered him with some sticks and leaves for tomorrow morning, just to eliminate some noise in the morning. Also dumped some more corn out in front of the stand. Checked the camera and had a decent lil 2 1/2 yr old 10 pointer at 11 pm night before last eating the corn and a small buck this morning pass thru at 6:15. Plan for tomorrow is an all day sit! Hopefully I don't need all day but you know how that goes, lol. Gonna rattle in the morning with buck decoy and switch to doe decoy after lunch and lay down a good scent trail for her thru the woods. Also found 2 NICE scrapes in front of the stand so i doped them up a bit. Can't tell you how pumped I am....!!!

ManOfTheFall
11-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Today was a pretty good day even though I didn't get to sling any arrows. In the morning I had a 150"-160" about 45 yards away but I didn't have a shot. My son saw 2 smallish bucks nudging a couple does. This evening I watched a 130" trail a doe on the hill behind me. Then 2 small bucks came storming on the scene and it broke loose. They got on that does behind and chased her all over the hill while the 130" basically stood by and watched. Then the smaller bucks got close to the 130" and he made one quick step towards them and they busted out of there. They stopped about 50 yards away and stood up on their back feet and started kicking each other in the face. I chuckled and thought stop fighting like girls and go at it like men. Then the doe starts down towards me and the buck is behind her. She stops about 50 yards short and heads into a small patch of trees. He heads down towards the bottom side of the trees and I thought I might have a shot but then off he goes in the trees. They stayed in there for about 10 minutes then she heads out the wrong way and off they go. Shortly after that the big buck I saw in the morning is making his way up from the bottom but light is fading fast. If I am to get a shot off he will have to be under 20 yards. He passed by me at 40 yards broadside but I just didn't have the light. I will be getting back at it on Monday.

heelbilly
11-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Saw that same 4pt on and off this morning and again this afternoon. Then had a very wide shooter pass me at 50. I don't like shooting past 40...so he walked. I think the temp drop in my neck of the woods overnight will make for a good morning. Only a morning hunt tomorrow then back at it most of the day Monday.

zachc
11-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Ok team, I should have asked earlier but whatever, I posted a couple pics of a decent 9 pointer in the trail camera pics thread a couple days ago. He was in front of my stand at 5:16 pm a couple evenings ago. So the more I look at him and I watched some of the videos again, would y'all shoot this guy?? I know he has a lot of room to grow but man I got the itch BAD! Just curious on your thoughts....

heelbilly
11-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Pretty sure I'm on the board...buck hit, we'll say that...

zachc
11-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Pretty sure I'm on the board...buck hit, we'll say that...

Any updates?

heelbilly
11-08-2015, 08:56 AM
He's down...it's an 8, but I thought he was bigger than he is. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/08/50b28cc70fd9f6765e863a85166eb63f.jpg

heelbilly
11-08-2015, 09:07 AM
What are the rules for the contest? What all pics do I need to have?

zachc
11-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Nice, congrats! Might not be the biggest but at least you got one. I haven't seen a d*mn thing all morning.

zachc
11-08-2015, 09:09 AM
What are the rules for the contest? What all pics do I need to have?

I think pic of the deer (whole body) with bow and tag. Rules are on one of the threads.

zachc
11-08-2015, 07:03 PM
So all that hype for, well not much. I sat from 6 am- 10:45 am and saw nothing. Then back in the stand at 2pm until dark, and all I saw was a small basket rack 7 pointer right before dark. I thought for sure I would have at least seen some movement this evening. Conditions were perfect pretty much all day out here. I think some of these big boys are already locked down with does. Gonna try to give it another shot in the morning, prolly at another property tho.

ManOfTheFall
11-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Congrats heelbilly!!!!! I will be back at it in the morning. Should be a nice frosty crunchy morning.

heelbilly
11-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Nice, congrats! Might not be the biggest but at least you got one. I haven't seen a d*mn thing all morning.
Well if I use my dad's rule of thumb, I wouldn't have passed on him the last day, plus I can't eat the horns and he's gonna provide a good bit of meat as he was a hefty dude.

ManOfTheFall
11-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Last 3 sits I have seen shooters but the doe they were with ruined it each time. Hopefully tonight a nice big fat in heat doe will decide to walk by me with one of the big boys trailing behind her. I probably won't be going out Tuesday morning cause it should be raining pretty hard. But I will sit this evening and again Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.

zachc
11-12-2015, 12:31 AM

Here are a couple pics from my Monday morning sit. I had a few different small bucks within bow range but no shooters while on stand. A couple does but nothing close enough. I have few more vacation days this weekend, Friday through Tuesday. I prolly won't be able to get out Friday but should be able to be in the stand every other day, at least a morning or evening, hopefully a couple all day sits. Since behind the house doesn't seem to be a morning spot, going to try to sit back there every evening, and hopefully meet big nose....and introduce him to Mr BowTech and Mr Grim Reaper!!

ManOfTheFall
11-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Last few days of my vacation and this weather really sucks.

heelbilly
11-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm taking a couple of weeks off, my in-law that hunts the property with me hasn't tagged his buck yet. I'm going to stay out and not take out anything that may be used as buck bait for him. Good luck fellas. I'll be around, rooting you all on from the easy chair.

nomad_archer
11-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Congrats heelbilly

nomad_archer
11-13-2015, 07:42 AM
This weather this week has been awful this high winds in PA with gusts in the 30-50 range really sucks

zachc
11-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah same here in OH. This stuffs for the birds! They say its suppose to start dying off late tonight but still be on and off gusts. Hopefully the weather turns for the weekend cuz this guy needs to kill something! Lol

zachc
11-15-2015, 03:04 PM
In the tree now, talk about warm. Not the greatest deer hunting weather by any means but you never know right. Checked my camera cards the other day and had a few videos during daylight hours so hoping to catch something moving through here this evening. OH WAIT, and now to top it off the neighbor just decided he wants to fire up his dirt bike and ride all over the d*mn county back here!!! Piece of beep, beep, mother beep, son of a beep! Ahh that's a little better. Well I guess we'll see what happens, maybe he won't be back here long...

zachc
11-16-2015, 09:40 AM

Last night I saw 2 does cruise by outside the woods about 100 yards out. Back at it this morning. About 8:15 I had the same lil 5 pointer come in to 15 yards (to small), he walked in the corn and 10 minutes later 4 does walked into the bean field and I watched them wondering around for 30 minutes before they trotted off, a few minutes later something spooked a very nice 9 pointer out of the big woods behind me, he passed by about 55 yards. So overall a good morning so far just wish one of those does would come back by. Prolly wrap it up soon and hit it again this evening.

zachc
11-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Well I sat in the stand from 6:15-11:00 and saw absolutely nothing! Not sure why, with all of the activity yesterday I thought for sure I would at least see something living around. Weather conditions weren't perfect but weren't to bad, a lil warm start. Don't know, I won't be out out prolly until next Monday or so.

ManOfTheFall
11-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Looks like me and Mr. Big Boy is going to be a long drawn out battle. This evening was now my 4th encounter with him. I was walking into my stand and I busted him out of his bed 25 yards away from my stand. Hopefully I can get him before gun season.

ManOfTheFall
11-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Going after Mr. Big Boy Thursday and Friday evenings. We'll see what Happens. Saturday is the youth hunt so I will be out with my grandson.

ManOfTheFall
11-21-2015, 01:27 AM
Haven't seen any action lately. I will be taking out the grandson on Saturday evening. Knowing my luck he will put Mr. Big Boy down.

zachc
11-21-2015, 08:01 AM
No one says you can't take your bow with you today, lol.

ManOfTheFall
11-21-2015, 10:55 PM
The grandson missed a 4 pointer just after 5 o'clock. It was a 25 yard broadside shot. He was shaking so bad it was hilarious.

zachc
11-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Happens to the best of us ay? Sure if he keeps huntin with his grandpa he'll get another shot or 2...or 3, lol. Would have LOVED to been out today but had Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Should be in the stand in about 5 1/2 hours, sure hope to see something cuz its gonna be cold as h*ll it looks like. Would be nice to fill at least one tag before gun season rolls in.

ManOfTheFall
11-23-2015, 07:49 PM
I was out this evening and didn't see anything.

zachc
11-24-2015, 11:38 AM
I was out yesterday morning and only saw 1 doe walking the outside edge of the next woods over, about 600 yards out.

ManOfTheFall
11-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Nice cool calm evening to be in the stand. Hopefully a big one cruises by me here real soon.

heelbilly
11-26-2015, 12:26 AM
I'll be out of commission for at least another week. I lost my grandma last night and have to travel out of state for the services. Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and good luck.

zachc
11-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear that heelbilly. Thoughts and prayers.

mossbergbryson
11-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. You're in my family's thoughts.

treelounger
11-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Sorry for your loss as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
11-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent your way!!!!!

heelbilly
12-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Awful quiet in here. My parents come in this weekend for their annual Christmas trip. Dad did't harvest anything on his November trip, so he and I are going to try to get out for at least one hunt while they're up. I haven't been out since I got my 8. So I'm looking forward to getting out again.

heelbilly
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Oh, and thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone.

mrbb
12-17-2015, 04:07 PM
yes it is very quiet here, a shame too IMO

and a late condolence's on the loss of your grandmother

Hope the Holidays are a better time for your Family!
and good luck tagging that big buck too, there still out there, seen a few here , and most of our seasons are over, just two weeks or so of muzleloader/archery again after X Max here in PA

nomad_archer
12-18-2015, 08:40 AM
mrbb. I am geared up to make one last small push in the after Christmas season. I only have 2.5 days available to hunt and they arent even full days but heck I got to give it a try and see if I cant fill my buck tag. It is unlikely but I may just get lucky. I think I stumbled into a pretty good spot in rifle season. I saw 4 deer sitting in the spot less than 8 hours and had two opportunities. It may be a good spot and just happens to be some nice cover 200 yards or so from a green field which I am sure the deer are using. They love to eat green grass. I cant wait to sit the spot in a tree stand versus on the ground and see what I can see.

heelbilly
12-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Well, it was a good evening to sit...if it was gun season. I had 9 deer in the field I was watching...all at about 60 yards. 8 does/yearlings and one really nice buck that chased one of the does out of the field. My dad is going out in the morning, but I have other obligations. I'm probably done until after Christmas. If I'm not on between now and then, Merry Christmas y'all.

mrbb
12-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Well, it was a good evening to sit...if it was gun season. I had 9 deer in the field I was watching...all at about 60 yards. 8 does/yearlings and one really nice buck that chased one of the does out of the field. My dad is going out in the morning, but I have other obligations. I'm probably done until after Christmas. If I'm not on between now and then, Merry Christmas y'all.
happy holidays to you as well, and best of luck when you get back out!

treelounger
12-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Good luck heelbilly

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk