PDA

View Full Version : Too much wind?

meatseeker89
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
How much wind is too much? Does wind speed really affect deer movement?

Bowtech Strykezone 350
Horton Bone Collector 175

mrbb
10-02-2015, 05:44 PM
the answer is YES and NO
if you live some place where HIGH winds are the norm, then NO

if you live some place where high winds are not so common
MOST Deer in places like this will sit out a storm and wait till its over
High winds take away from a deer, MAYBE number one defense, which is scenting to survive, they live and die by there ose
In places with lots of cover, this is a big part to them living

IN places fairly open and thus higher winds on a more common basis
they tend to use there ey's a LOT more than JUST scent
due to they HAVE to eat to live and if winds are common, they adapt IMO

a deer in say wooded area's and crops mix, they can play the wind to get to food and thus us it to there advantage to survive
plus again, if HIGH winds are NOT so common, they can afford to sit out a storm till it passes, OR stay right is a crop likel corn till it stops and eat sleep right there
same can be said on thickets, where safety can be achieved with cover, and can eat browse in the safety of it!
lowering odds of getting into trouble, due to winds not allowing them to scent things as normal!

High winds also effect where your arrow goes too, so winds have a lot of things to consider
BUT deer live outside 24/7/365
so any time your out there your odds are a LOT better than staying home LOL

meatseeker89
10-03-2015, 08:50 AM
I opted for the couch this morning. My reasoning that I think sitting in the stand on a bad day will put pressure on the spot and possibly hurt a good day for a sit. 20mph winds today with rain. 7mph winds tomorrow with no rain. I will be in the tree tomorrow morning.

Bowtech Strykezone 350
Horton Bone Collector 175

zachc
10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
I hate bow hunting in heavy or even kind of heavy winds. IMO I definitely think it affects deer movement. High winds and or swirling winds can throw a deer's sense of sense into overload. The threat might be a couple hundred yards away but with high winds it might seem like it is right on top of them. I would also agree with meetseeker, I would rather pass on a good spot on a windy day if for nothing else, to keep pressure out. On the flip slide, if you have a nice bottom to hunt on a windy day with good food/cover I think you'll have a good chance of filling a tag.

nomad_archer
10-06-2015, 10:54 AM
I really dont like hunting in high winds unless I can get out of the wind. Plus the excessive swaying in the treestand isnt any fun