PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Is Here!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
09-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Are you Ready????? I am!!!!!

whodey1966
09-26-2015, 08:16 AM
I don't usually go out till the middle of October, weather permitting. Good luck to all those out today!

Dan
09-26-2015, 09:13 AM
I was half tempted to go out as I was starting to see a pattern develop. I'm going to keep and eye on the trail cameras and most likely won't get into the stand till the middle of october.

Good luck.

zachc
09-26-2015, 10:36 AM
I would have loved to be out this morning, actually turned out to be a nice morning. But my sister decided to plan her wedding for this holiday we call opening day, lol! So I will be going to it instead. But if everything goes right I will be in the stand early tomorrow morning...

ManOfTheFall
09-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Took my grandson out this evening and he had a nice doe come in. I gave him the green light when it was broadside at about 15 yards. He grazed the back of her front leg and the underside of her chest. Played it back on video and was able to capture right where the arrow was flying under her. I said he had buck fever and he said no I didn't, it was a doe, lol.

ManOfTheFall
09-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Walking into my stand this morning I heard at least 4 deer snort as I was passing through to the stand. I settled into my stand a little after 6. I had about 45 minutes cause legal shooting light was at 6:47. About 6:45 I saw a couple deer coming so I got ready. They both looked to be about the same size. They slowly made their way past me and I waited til I had a perfect quartering away shot. She was about 15 yards away and I let her have it. I looked at my phone to check the time and it was only 6:57. She kicked up her back legs and took off running down the hill. She piled up maybe 70 yards away in the back yard. I only had to drag her another 70 or 80 yards to the truck.

zachc
09-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Can't ask for much more than that huh? That's awesome, kind of surprised no one else posted a harvest in here today. Was driving home this evening and saw a lil flatbed with a nice 8-10 pointer laying on the bed, nice deer prolly a 130 class. Be heading out here in about 5 1/2 hours to see what the morning holds...

ManOfTheFall
09-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Good luck in the morning. I am sleeping in then heading to church.

zachc
09-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Was able to sneek to the stand quietly and was set, ready to hunt at 6:20. Well I sat in the pitch black until 7:10, between it being pretty cloudy and all of the canopy cover in the woods, you couldn't see anything until then. Great beautiful morning (a lil windy), everything went as planned except the deer movement, lol. Sat until 9 and didn't see/hear a single deer. Went out this afternoon and tucked the ground blind into a treeline that looks at my corn feeder. Primarily set it for the wife, hoping she'll be able to harvest her first deer! Looks good and gives her about a 20 yard shot so she should be good...I guess we'll see.

ManOfTheFall
09-27-2015, 09:10 PM
I will be heading back out Monday evening.

ManOfTheFall
09-28-2015, 08:24 PM
So, I go out to my one spot this evening and 50 yards away is a ground blind facing my corn pile. I had just refreshed the pile around noon and the blind was not there. It is right on the edge of an adjoining property. I don't have permission to hunt that property but I do have permission to access it. I'm sure I know who put the blind there but I can't say anything. One thing is I am the only one hunting on this property and no one has permission to access it either. Anyways, on the hunt a fawn came through a few minutes after 6. About 10 minutes later I hear this dog barking and it chases a big doe right by my stand. Then the dog decides to hang out by my stand for about 5 minutes. I then hear a 4 wheeler up by the property line and some guy yells at the dog and says get up here, you know better than that. I then saw 3 coons about 6:45 and that was the last of it until I got down. Needless to say it was a frustrating evening.

zachc
09-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful day, lol! I think I might have let that dog eat, if you know what I mean. There's not to many things that p*ss me off more than dogs and 4 wheelers while I'm deer hunting! But hey at least you saw a deer, lol. Do you have a stand set up over the corn pile?

ManOfTheFall
09-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Yes, I have a stand by the corn pile. This stand has been there since 2009 and I've been keeping it fresh since then. The person I believe that put the ground blind up knows this is my spot and has been for several years. I have never encroached on his good spots that's close to the line we have always been civil. If I see him out there anytime I will ask him about it. Other than that I will just have to deal with it. He could have at least faced his blind away from the corn. He has a major trail going right past his blind. But no, he faces it towards the corn.

zachc
09-29-2015, 08:07 AM
That's crazy, just shows how considerate some people are Ay. Is it the landowner who has the blind? To be honest, if its not, it may be worth talking to the landowner (if you guys are on good terms like that) and asking him if he wouldn't mind having the guy move be it. But if you're not, I filly understand where you're coming from.

ManOfTheFall
09-29-2015, 04:21 PM
No, it's not the land owner. He allows 2 guys on his property and I'm sure I know which one it is.

mrbb
09-29-2015, 04:51 PM
I hate slob hunters that use your hard work to benefit them , its always been one thing that pisses me off
I had that problem but ten times it, as I had about 10-20 guys a yr sneaking in to hunt my food plots, over thge 20 yrs or so I had them there I must have collected about 50 treestands, I always left a note on how to get em back, and left it saying IF they do, expect to be arrested for trespassing! LOL
that and when your set up and some moron decides to climb a tree right next to you, or sit with in a few yards of you/ and they always seem to show up at prime time, when your expecting deer and they just ruin the hunt\

MY clasic encounter here was once on State land I hiked up a long mountain, left 2+ hrs before sunricse to get there long before it and have time for things to settle down
was about 5 mile walk UP hill
there was a large rock on the top, that offered a awesome view, was my planed spot
at about 20 minutes after sun rise I see this orange dot walking towards me, and I KNOW ot seen me, as I too was in all orange ona BIG bolder on the top of a mt
well guy just keeps coming right at me, stoppoing every 5 minutes to ?? or light up a smoke>??

then he gets right to me, and says this

HOW about we sit back to back
you watch the front and I'll watch the back side??
MAN I wish I could shoot people!
I was like WTF< buddy, you just ruined my morning hunt, and now you want to sit next to me and hunt this way???
SO, on that I made the 5 mile walk back down the MT pissed off and left for the day!
I don't know what people be thinking
I prefer to hunt ALONE, and do my best to see I don't encounter others, or hunt there spots
seem's like common respect
a quality I guess too many don't have!

Toke2
09-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Was out two days this weekend. Drew on a doe at 27 yds but she was quartering to me and I didn't feel like I had a clean shot. Later a momma and yearling circled around me, and winded me once they got downwind. Wouldn't have shot either of them but was nice to watch momma protect her young one. She snorted at me about 15 times. Didn't see me, just knew there was something there that didn't smell right. I'm a freak about scent control - don't smoke, scent free wash, dead down wind, etc... but with it being 64 degrees, I was a little sweaty from the hike in with a heavy pack. 2nd day - had face to face with a medium 7pt. I realized my stand was too exposed as he and I had a staring contest. He didn't spook ( i squinted so he couldn't make out my eyes) just stared and walked away. I couldn't have even lifted my bow let alone drawn, he would have busted me and ruined my stand. Not sure it's worth hunting as is anyway. The good news is I saw him using a trail I didn't know was there. "field research". All in all a good two days in the woods. Given that I had almost no trail cam pics this year - I was encouraged that I saw deer on each hunt! Nothing beats fall in woods!

ManOfTheFall
09-30-2015, 02:10 AM
Next time out for me will probably be Thursday evening. I will probably get some time in the stand on Friday and Saturday as well. This is the first real cool front we will be having so maybe the action will be better.

heelbilly
09-30-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm hoping to get out over next weekend (Su-Tues). I've had a lot of crap going on, most of it bad and out of my control the past month or so. I could really use the tree stand therapy.

nomad_archer
10-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Good luck to you guys getting out this weekend. The season opens this weekend in PA but I wont be getting out for a few more weeks. I have to much going on and I want to wait for a few of the leaves to come down.

ManOfTheFall
10-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Who will all be hitting the woods in this first cool front? I am going to try and get out there this evening, and Friday and Saturday mornings.

zachc
10-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I was going to once I saw the temps for this week but then I saw the wind speeds that go with it and decided naw. Of course I work throughout the week but was going to hit it in the morning before I go in. So Sunday I should be able to get in the stand...but of course they're saying its supposed to somewhat warm up again then. We'll see what happens tho. I'm ready for them to get these crops out tho that's for sure! Lol

ManOfTheFall
10-01-2015, 09:25 PM
I shot a nice big doe this evening. I was only in the stand for about 10 minutes. I will post story and pics later tonight.

zachc
10-01-2015, 11:17 PM
I shot a nice big doe this evening. I was only in the stand for about 10 minutes. I will post story and pics later tonight.

Motf I think you need a new huntin buddy....me! Lol! That's awesome, congrats.

ManOfTheFall
10-02-2015, 12:38 AM
I'm getting payback from last year.

ManOfTheFall
10-02-2015, 01:33 AM
So, I got to my spot this evening and the neighbor guy was blowing through clips of ammo. Probably about 200 yards away from my stand. I almost left and went to a different spot. I decided to stay and was hoping he would stop soon. I climbed up into my ladder stand and when I turned around to sit down I see a couple young ones walking towards my spot. They are probably between 30 and 40 yards away. I hurried up and sat down and got an arrow in. I saw a little bigger one kind of circling around. Then I saw one more bringing up the rear and she was a pretty big one. She stopped about 40 yards out and was staring my way and giving a few light stomps. After staring me down for about 5 minutes she got behind some trees so I brought the crossbow up. I waited for her to clear the trees then let her have it. It was a deadly hit. I don't think she made it even 50 yards. Here are a few pics. The first blood trail pic was where she was standing when I shot her. Blood trail was awesome. I used Rage 2"+ cut.

ManOfTheFall
10-02-2015, 01:34 AM
One more pic.

heelbilly
10-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Congrats. Two in the first week, I'd be left buck hunting now since they changed the bag limits on us in my county. I'm not sure if that's where you're left or not, but good luck going forward.

mrbb
10-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Well again, congrats, that's how you fill a freezer.
now that big buck awaits you!

ManOfTheFall
10-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Congrats. Two in the first week, I'd be left buck hunting now since they changed the bag limits on us in my county. I'm not sure if that's where you're left or not, but good luck going forward.

Same here also, however, I'm hunting in three counties to try and get the state bag limit of 6. I can get three in Stark, which will probably be all does, two in my home county of Tuscarawas which will be one doe and hopefully one buck then I will hunt the Salt Fork area in Guernsey and I will get one more doe.

ManOfTheFall
10-03-2015, 11:18 AM
The rain has been coming down in buckets. However, It is suppose to slow down then stop around 4. I am definitely going out this evening.

ManOfTheFall
10-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I saw one tonight at very last light. I'm pretty sure it was a young buck. Waited it out until he left the area. I didn't want to spook him.

heelbilly
10-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I hope to get out Monday morning. It will be my first trip out. My son's football is right in the middle of the day on Saturdays so morning hunts are out. After the game, I was so cold and wet, I just wanted to sit in my recliner, cover up, and watch football.

radicalxl
10-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Nice reading all the stories guys. Went out first day and soon remembered why I haven't hunted the last two years. Had the urge again this year so I gave it shot.

zachc
10-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Made it to the woods a lil late this morning. But as I was walking a big field FULL of saplings about 15-20' tall with paths mowed through (some public land), I did jump 2 does. 1 walked back and forth for about 10 minutes 20 yards in front of me. Unfortunately the saplings are so thick that I could not get a clean shot of I had to stay there and watch her walk around until she finally left. Stayed out until about 10:30-11 and didn't see anything else.

ManOfTheFall
10-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately the only deer we saw this evening were the 2 we almost hit driving to our spot. I will probably get back out Thursday morning then get the grandson back out Thursday evening.

mossbergbryson
10-07-2015, 12:15 PM
I sat yesterday morning and then in the evening and saw 4 doe all day but couldn't get one in range

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
10-08-2015, 08:14 AM
I had a little one in range earlier but the bigger one hung back. I'm going to sit here til 9. I worked all night. I wI'll go home and sleep a few hours then get back out this evening.

ManOfTheFall
10-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Big doe down at 8:40.

nomad_archer
10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Congrats!!!!!

zachc
10-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Congrats again! A couple weeks in and your seasons already rockin!

heelbilly
10-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Sweet, congrats.

ManOfTheFall
10-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Doe #3 down!!!!!. The arrow was soaked in blood from broadhead to nock. It was about 8:35 and I looked behind me and I saw 3 coming. The big one lagged behind a bit but it didn't take long before she was out in front of me. I let the arrow fly at 8:40. She ran about 30 yards and did a couple flips and I thought she was done. But, she got back up and ran about 20 more yards and did the staggering thing then went down. I took all my stuff down to the truck then came back up to get her and she was already dead. Here are a few pics.

mossbergbryson
10-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Awesome

ManOfTheFall
10-09-2015, 03:02 AM
I didn't get out Thursday evening, but the grandson and I will be going out Friday evening and I will be hitting one of my new spots Saturday evening.

mossbergbryson
10-09-2015, 03:25 AM
Time to get that big buck :)

ManOfTheFall
10-10-2015, 12:25 AM
I had a chat with my grandson and he said there ain't no way I'm going to shoot a small buck. In the blind tonight I heard a twig snap and I was pretty sure a deer was coming. I told him to get ready and he says I don't see anything and I said I don't either. I said look here you should see one in a few seconds. We have a 1 1/2 old buck we call forky. He is a fork horn with a tiny crab claw on the left side. I said oh it's just forky but you don't want to shoot him. he was shaking like a leaf and said let me shoot him. I said ok. Unfortunately he never gave us a good clean shot. He was close enough but no shot. It was at least a good experience for him and he learns what are good shot opportunities and what aren't. That was at least the first buck I saw on a hunt this year as well. Anyhow, I will be going to my new spot Saturday evening. Hopefully I will see some action there.

Toke2
10-10-2015, 01:28 PM
MOTF - congrats! 1st annual post season cookout is at your place. You have enough to feed us all and it's only mid october. Go get some hogs too please... venison and pulled pork sounds good.

ManOfTheFall
10-10-2015, 02:59 PM
MOTF - congrats! 1st annual post season cookout is at your place. You have enough to feed us all and it's only mid october. Go get some hogs too please... venison and pulled pork sounds good.

Would love to get a few hogs. If you know anyone who needs to get rid of some, give me a call.

mossbergbryson
10-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Man I'd love to hunt hogs. They mostly in Southern Ohio?

mrbb
10-10-2015, 07:57 PM
IF I was to do a HOG hunt, I think I would suck it up and pay the price tag to go to Texas and
hunt them out of a helicopter with ar AR in .308 ,
MAN that sounds like FUN to me, and from what I see there, they have millions of the dam things, cannot kill enough to put a dent in the herds!

I gather any place is fun to hunt them
but that just sounds like a hunt to remember forever!

ManOfTheFall
10-10-2015, 08:35 PM
My mom lives in Florida now and she is close to a hog hunting preserve. This winter I am going down for a hog/gator combo hunt.