PDA

View Full Version : Sign up page for 2015-2016 Deer Hunting Contest!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
09-06-2015, 11:05 PM
This is the sign in page for the 2015-2016 deer hunting contest.

I will start this out. I am in!!!!!

nomad_archer
09-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I will bite

zachc
09-07-2015, 12:23 AM
I don't know let me think about it......Count me in!

ManOfTheFall
09-07-2015, 01:01 AM
One more and we can have 2, 2 man teams. Hopefully there will be more. I would like to implement a few rules. Make it a 1 buck 1 doe contest. The buck is scored by the gross score of the rack and you get 25 points for a doe. Anyone else with any more ideas? Let's hear them.

00buck
09-07-2015, 10:11 AM
I would be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouthHunter
09-07-2015, 08:01 PM
im in..............

zachc
09-08-2015, 12:02 AM
One more and we can have 2, 2 man teams. Hopefully there will be more. I would like to implement a few rules. Make it a 1 buck 1 doe contest. The buck is scored by the gross score of the rack and you get 25 points for a doe. Anyone else with any more ideas? Let's hear them.

I'm not against throwing in some new rules and as far as the bucks being scored by gross score...is it going to have to be an official scorer? I have taped out a couple deer myself but I'm no pro and I wouldn't think a lot of guys are. Not trying to cause any drama but just think that that might be a hard way (and unsure way) of giving score for a buck?

ManOfTheFall
09-08-2015, 12:41 AM
I am not an official scorer either but I have measured several bucks then had them scored officially and was either right on or only an 1/8-2/8" of an inch off. The reason I like this better is cause in contests on here in the past I have seen 8 pointers and even 10 pointers that would score between 90" and 110" inches then you see one that scores 160" and you get the same amount of points for that. I could just about shoot a 100" buck nearly every time I go out. But, a 160"!!!!! For many people that is a buck of a life time but you get the same score. It's just not right. I also think most of us on here are pretty good at eyeing up a rack and if you say it's a 140" buck when it's actually a 110" buck I believe most of us can judge that to be bogus. Besides it's all for fun anyways. To help out with this you must enter a picture of the deer, buck and doe both and also include yourself and your bow. It has to be the whole body. There can't be any exceptions to this rule. This will definitely deter anyone from trying to give their buck a substantially higher score.

ManOfTheFall
09-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Here is a link to a page that will help score your deer. It has both typical and non-typical. All you do is measure it out and put in the numbers and it will give you your score. But remember, we are going by gross score, not net.

www.huntstats.com/scoring.html

zachc
09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Ok the whole pic idea sounds a lot better and will hopefully make it a lil easier. Let's get this season Rollin'!

ManOfTheFall
09-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Since there is probably only going to be a few of us, let's give it up to a couple days before the season starts then we'll draw teams.

nomad_archer
09-08-2015, 01:13 PM
I dont like the idea of using a bucks score too much inconsistency. Points are clear and clean cut way to score. Score like it has been in the past with everyone allowed two deer. One buck one doe or two does it really doesn't matter.

ManOfTheFall
09-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I dont like the idea of using a bucks score too much inconsistency. Points are clear and clean cut way to score. Score like it has been in the past with everyone allowed two deer. One buck one doe or two does it really doesn't matter.

I completely understand what you are saying. But for the guy that shoots a 160" 8 point and for the guy that shoots a 100" and they get the same score, It's just not right. That is like penalizing the guy for shooting a monster buck. I understand the scores aren't going to be perfect but it would be nice to recognize the guy for his accomplishment and it's not like we have anything on the line . We are all hunters here just having a good time with people we will more than likely never meet but we can all be friends and real and honest with each other and trust in a contest for fun we will be real and honest as well

nomad_archer
09-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Sounds more like you want a big buck contest. The point system really rewards someone for getting a deer. It also helps normalize differences in hunting properties and gives everyone a chance to be competitive. I bet I have only saw a handful of 130" deer while hunting. I usually get a buck every 5-6 years. That is just the nature of the heavily hunted pa big woods that I have access to. I like the points because does and bucks help. Determine the rules you want everyone to play but before we get into drawing teams because I am not sold or very interested in something the requires bucks to be scored.

ManOfTheFall
09-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I understand all your points. I just don't like the fact that if some one would shoot a mature 8 or 10 point and some one else shoots a 1 1/2 old 8 or 10 point and they get the same score. How is that fair? The person shooting the bigger deer is being penalized. Anyways, for those of us wanting to be in the contest lets put it to a vote. Should the buck be scored by number of points or by inches. I vote for inches.

mrbb
09-09-2015, 06:01 PM
I understand all your points. I just don't like the fact that if some one would shoot a mature 8 or 10 point and some one else shoots a 1 1/2 old 8 or 10 point and they get the same score. How is that fair? The person shooting the bigger deer is being penalized. Anyways, for those of us wanting to be in the contest lets put it to a vote. Should the buck be scored by number of points or by inches. I vote for inches.
I hate to say it BUT in the NAME of FAIR< a buck is a buck, a 10 point is a 10 point and an 8 point is an 8 point
SO< if the contest is about teams killing deer
its at the digression of the hunter on what HE/SHe wants to shoot
do they want to win the contest or kill a BIG buck
I never got into these contests for reasons like this
A normal hunting season for me, I would pass on about 25-30 bucks, I am pretty darn sure I could have killed, HOLDING out for one that meet my standard
so, at that, winning the contest wasn't ever in my cards, or wanted to hunt for a contest

and I have to agree I say Nomad is correct here
to be fair to all hunters points is better than score
as don't forget NOT everyone in the contest has access to same type of PRIME private lands as some do
SO< would a BUCK killed on public land , VS private land be the same animal to be hunted??
I have hunted both types of land and can tell you for a FACT< PRIME private land VS public lands are TWO totally different ttypes of hunting, same can be said when you compare farm land to BIG woods
the pure amount of deer oper acre is SO off , its NOT even funny!

SO, unless all apples are to apples
there will be differences in size and chance at BIG bucks

SO< to be fair, I say, just go by points
makes it simple, don't have to worry about folks fuding scores or just making a mistake scoring it

my 2 cents
and I ain't even deer hunting this yr LOL
good luck to you all however!

zachc
09-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Honestly fellas doesn't matter to me. I see both sides, yeah a bigger buck should get a higher score but its just for fun so the easier and more accurate way to score is by number of points. Count me in whichever way we choose. Either way I do think, regardless, if you harvest a deer Buck or doe you must submit a photo of the deer you, and bow.

ManOfTheFall
09-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Alright, it looks like I'm outnumbered. How does this look for contest rules.

1. This is a bow/crossbow only contest.

2. You can enter 2 deer into the contest. One buck and one doe, or 2 does. If you enter 2 does and then get a buck later on you can switch out one of the doe for your buck. You may only enter your first buck. Sorry for guys that can shoot more than one or travel to different states. One buck, one doe, or 2 doe, and only your first buck.

3. A doe will count as 5 points. A buck will count as 5 points plus the number of points on the rack. A point must be 1" long to officially count as a point.

4. All deer entered must be fair chase. No penned deer.

5. You must have a picture of yourself, the whole deer, and the bow/crossbow all included in the same picture for it to count in the contest. No head only shots. Also include a picture of your tag. There are no exceptions to this rule.

6. You must at least notify us of a kill within seven days by making a post on the photo page or let a team member know so they can post for you. Pictures can be posted after 7 days as long as notification has been made.

7. The contest will start when the first season starts of the people in the contest. It will end on February 7th which is the last day of the Ohio season. All deer entered into the contest must be posted no later than 48 hours after the official end date of February 7th. So. you will have until midnight, February 9th to have all entries in. Totals will then be added up and the winner will be announced. Even if teams have not been drawn you can still enter your harvest on the 2015/2016 Deer Contest Photo Page!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
09-10-2015, 12:49 AM
Let me know if you all think anything should be added, changed, or otherwise.

ManOfTheFall
09-10-2015, 02:20 AM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter

Copy this list and add your name to it if you want to sign up.

nomad_archer
09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Let me know if you all think anything should be added, changed, or otherwise.

In the past everyone was allowed 2 deer but only one buck... So one buck and one doe or two does per person with the ability to make one substitution in the event someone entered two doe and then got a buck. The buck could replace one of the does.

Also I think in the past an entry had to be entered no later than 7 days after harvest. So that kept people from sitting on there entries until the last minute just in case they shot a buck. Also there was a 24 or 48 hour window for entries after the season close.

Those are just some ideas. We can run with how things are as they are ok for me.

ManOfTheFall
09-10-2015, 09:09 AM
I like those ideas. I will edit the rules and you can look back over them to see what was changed.

ohio36hunter
09-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Is it too late to sign up if not I'd like to join.thanks

ManOfTheFall
09-13-2015, 11:51 PM
You are in.

ManOfTheFall
09-17-2015, 12:59 AM
So far we have 6 guys signed up. That is 3, 2 man teams or 2, 3 man teams. If no one else signs up how do you want to split it up? Either way I will throw the names in a hat and draw them out. I say we give it til next Wednesday then draw. Everyone ok with that?

zachc
09-17-2015, 11:38 AM
A lil more participation would be great Ay? I know the season starts soon but what if we wait until the first of next month to draw teams? Cuz you know the activity picks up once the season starts and (hopefully) a lot more guys will be checking the page and sign up...

ManOfTheFall
09-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Sounds good. We can draw on Saturday or Sunday of the 2nd weekend. The 3rd or 4th of October.

bill.harbourt
09-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Sure count me in if eligible

ManOfTheFall
09-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Sure count me in if eligible

You are in.

ohioClassic
09-20-2015, 08:14 AM
I'll get in on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
09-21-2015, 12:43 AM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic

YouthHunter
09-27-2015, 08:12 PM
two four man teams?

ManOfTheFall
09-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Looks that way so far. We will draw next weekend.

heelbilly
09-28-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm one of those guys who shows up during the season....:) Count me in this year. It's been a couple years since I've played. I've seen this thread and Mike's thread about how the teams play out. What is final status of it? Are we just drawing teams at seasons end of all who qualify, or are we putting teams together next weekend and running with that?

heelbilly
09-28-2015, 11:33 PM
And I'm also one that doesn't read the subject much...the post from Mike was for last year's contest. D'oh.

ManOfTheFall
09-29-2015, 12:24 AM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic
9. heelbilly

Toke2
09-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Looks like you need a another to even things out... I'm in if it's not too late! I did go out this weekend but didn't get anything.... so I'm not sandbaggin....

ManOfTheFall
09-30-2015, 02:04 AM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic
9. heelbilly
10. Toke2

If it stays like this we will have 2, 5 man teams. Will draw teams on Tuesday. We will give it a few extra days.

Pep4
10-02-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm in if not too late! PA season starts tomorrow and won't be in Ohio until November.

mneal
10-02-2015, 03:59 PM
I am in if not too late... have not even made it out yet.

ManOfTheFall
10-03-2015, 12:55 PM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic
9. heelbilly
10. Toke2
11. Pep4
12. mneal

Give me some input guys. I would like to go with either 3 or 4 teams. We could also go with 2 teams, but I like spreading out the competition and you get to know the guys on your team a little better. Will draw teams on Tuesday. We will give it a few extra days.

heelbilly
10-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Well, if you're looking to spread it out, 4 teams of 3 in the current configuration. I'm good either way, hopefully more will throw their name in the hat. I've been absent from the site pretty much for 2 years...lots of the regular guys from when I was "regular" aren't posting much these days, I figured they'd be around and in.

zachc
10-04-2015, 12:27 AM
If no one else joins in, 4 teams of 3 sounds good to me.

mossbergbryson
10-04-2015, 04:04 AM
I'd like to join as well. I was gonna copy the list and add my name but my darn phone wasn't cooperating.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
10-04-2015, 08:59 PM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic
9. heelbilly
10. Toke2
11. Pep4
12. mneal
13. mossbergbryson

Well, this gives us 13. Unless there are some last minute entries. We will go with 3 three man teams, and 1 four man team. We can make that fair by averaging the scores of all participants then giving each team other than the 4 man team the extra points. That way it will be like each team has 4 people.

nomad_archer
10-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Wow we got 13 guys signed up but ManOfTheFall and MRBB are the only ones posting. Come on guys season is on lets hear some stories and updates.

zachc
10-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Wow we got 13 guys signed up but ManOfTheFall and MRBB are the only ones posting. Come on guys season is on lets hear some stories and updates.

I beg to differ sir...lol

Brettw44
10-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Count me in

ManOfTheFall
10-07-2015, 02:05 PM
As new guys sign up they will be added to the next team, 2 then 3 then 4. After that if they keep signing up we will create new teams.

ManOfTheFall
10-07-2015, 11:53 PM
So far we have:

1. ManOfTheFall
2. nomad_archer
3. zachc
4. 00buck
5. YouthHunter
6. ohio36hunter
7. bill.harbourt
8. ohioClassic
9. heelbilly
10. Toke2
11. Pep4
12. mneal
13. mossbergbryson
14. Brettw44

buckstalker17
10-08-2015, 03:58 AM
Good luck with the contest

Pep4
10-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Sounds good with teams of 3...i think you need to cut it off at some point...either by a date or a number of entries.
Hunting...I've been out in PA one evening and one morning...saw bucks both days but no shooters...no acorns or apples here this season...could be good for me actually since i have a lot of food plots...we'll see.