PDA

View Full Version : Safety Factors!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
08-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Today we hear so much about safety harnesses which is a good thing. I also want to put this out there, especially if you leave your stands out on your property all year. Replace old tree steps. If you have straps and ratchets they may both need replaced. Also metal screws and bolts on stands. They can easily rust and corrode over time and snap. One stand I took down today the bottom tree step snapped when I put my weight on it. So, please heed this warning and check everything.

Toke2
08-26-2015, 10:37 AM
great reminder!

00buck
08-26-2015, 08:09 PM
How do you remove a stand that has grown into a tree or do you think put some safety straps on it and hunt it great location during rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbb
08-26-2015, 08:44 PM
if the tree grew around the stand, I wouldn't use it IF its a LOC on that is
as my reason is, well, for ONE Loc on stand s are NOT supposed to be on a tree that long
second, IF the tree grew around the stand, there is NO telling how stressed the welds are on this stand
its designed to pivot and LOC to the tree, so odds are that isn't happening any more either
I'd take a cordless sawzal and cut the sucker down and install a new stand

loc on stands IF you read the label, are NOT supposed to be on tree's longer than like 2 weeks, LOL
I know FEW follow this rule
BUT just saying!

UV is bad on the straps and weakens them, and the stress of a tree growing slow is in tons of LB pressure applied to the metal, thus why I say, welds could be weakened

risking a fall over a iffy stand is silly in the big picture I think??

00buck
09-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Yeah I will cut it off this weekend and replace

Dan
09-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Good reminder. Also a good idea to loosen those straps at the end of the season to prevent the tree stand from growing into the tree. Back out those screws in steps and bow hangers a turn or two also. Most manufactures sell replacement straps, never a bad idea to replace them if you leave your stands out.

mrbb
09-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Good reminder. Also a good idea to loosen those straps at the end of the season to prevent the tree stand from growing into the tree. Back out those screws in steps and bow hangers a turn or two also. Most manufactures sell replacement straps, never a bad idea to replace them if you leave your stands out.

honestly, JUST leaving the straps out all yr is BAD for them, they dry from the sun and then the UV issue's
they become brittle, SO< to be honest, they should be replaced every yr
all the more so if on loc on type stands, OVER ladder stands for sure

I have seen ladderstands that as soon as a strap was off fall down, add you in it and be surprised when it lets go, and the fun quickly leaves
ON ladderstand I used to use yr after yr, I made metal brackets and used 1/2 inch lag bolts to hold the top section to the tree, long with a strap
so even IF a strap broke, I had a back up, that was pretty rock solid
rather easy to make, and yet to see one break or pull off a tree
BUT again, this ONLY gets done on land I have owners OK, and never on state land
BUT there is a possibility of a lag bolt being ruined by the tree too, certain saps,a dn such will EAT a metal lag bolt
same as with screw in tree steps
should TAKE them out every yr because of this too!

Dan
09-20-2015, 09:30 AM
honestly, JUST leaving the straps out all yr is BAD for them, they dry from the sun and then the UV issue's
they become brittle, SO< to be honest, they should be replaced every yr
all the more so if on loc on type stands, OVER ladder stands for sure

No doubt, Most are too lazy. My permanent observation stands are ladders and they stay out all year. I use my hang on's for closing the deal. I just took one down and replaced it with a ladder stand. I just cut the straps off. I'll get replacements before I risk falling.

Dan
09-20-2015, 09:32 AM
How do you remove a stand that has grown into a tree or do you think put some safety straps on it and hunt it great location during rut

This stand was one of those stands. It was left on my lease by the last guy who had it. I hunted out of it a few times a couple years ago. I never felt good about it and eventually just hung a new stand near by. Sorry the picture is rotated.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_11586.JPG