PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Grandson Ready For His First Deer Season!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
08-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Saturday afternoon we freshened up 4 stand sites. It's a good thing we did. One needs a new ratchet and strap and another had a tree fall on it but no damage was done other than me having to cut the tree away. We did a little trimming for some shooting lanes the we got the crossbow and I let him shoot. He has shot a shotgun before but never a crossbow. I was worried I might be losing my arrows. I was definitely surprised. Because of time constraints he was only able to take 4 shots. The worse one was maybe only 2 inches off the bullseye and all 4 shots were from 20 yards. Here are a couple pics.

zachc
08-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Looking good motf. Think I need to get back and prolly do the same thing with 2 stands I have set. Plus start scouting for a new set. Anyways good luck to the both of you this fall!

mrbb
08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
looks like you got a shooter there in the family,
best of luck this season getting him a big one!

Toke2
08-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Good Shooting there! Hope he has a great first season. I am excited to get my son in the woods this year. He's been out with me once before, but really wants to put some time in this season. Should be fun. Best of luck to you and your Grandson.

ManOfTheFall
08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
The main thing that worries me is his talking. If I can keep him quiet long enough I know I can at least get him on a deer. He has gone with me turkey hunting for 2 years now and he can't seem to shut up out there and he only has one volume, loud. I've really been stressing with him for the last year that deer aren't like turkey and we have to be super quiet and he said he understands so we will find out.

mrbb
08-03-2015, 06:40 PM
HAHA< take a lot of candy that makes him chew a lot LOL
that will help slow down the talking!
hey kids will be kids, main deal I think is make it all fun, till they get hooked
ground blinds help a lot too, make for a easier way to hide smaller movements and gets them on a chair too
if you can take him on some dry hunts with a video camera before season, maybe at spots you DON"T plan to et up in, so he gets the idea better
late evenings make for great sits over food plots and crops

ManOfTheFall
08-04-2015, 01:47 AM
Never thought of that. Sounds like a great idea.

ManOfTheFall
08-13-2015, 12:52 AM
We went out and set the ground blind up today. It is set up on the east end of a large bedding area and a major travel corridor. Here are a few pics of what we did.

ManOfTheFall
08-13-2015, 01:09 AM
We will be able to shoot out of the west and south facing windows. This will be a new experience for me as well cause for the last 20 years all of my deer hunting has been down from a tree stand.

nomad_archer
08-13-2015, 08:59 AM
All I can say from experience is 20 yards on the ground feels a lot closer than 20 yards from the stand.

mrbb
08-13-2015, 10:01 AM
looking good, YOU can also get a good rest for him, , if you have a camera tri pod, they can be made into one pretty easy, or you can also make one out of PVC too, use the slip connections and then height can be adjustable on it as well
a rest sure makes it a LOT easier on the kids(adults too,)
also, something I have done for yrs now, is use Survey tape on top of sticks(if do tree's) to use as yardage markers, can be at say 10-20-30-40 yrs, I place them in many directions I think I MIGHT get a shot, I use same colors at all my stands too(had like 40+ stands so made life easier than just relying on memory or needing a range finder, got lazy as I got older and carry as little as needed LOL)
placing them out now, deer will pay NO attention to them
IF you place them on sticks about 3 ft off the ground(hammer them in), they work as wind indicators too, for scent watching?
and I find in food plots(no trees) BUCKS love to rub on them, always knocking them over on me at times, but lay on toip so can still use, or just stick back in the ground when I have time(tend to do this walking o=into the stand or out pending IF deer are in the plots or not!)
But having the markers MAKES it real easy for kids to know ranges, like say, use a blue and red, and tell them NOTHING past them markers, and its a spot on deal for KNOWING range, NO need to fiddle with a range finder when deer are in front of you , just less movement/noise to be making
and again I mark in like a rainbow from stand, so,
can use a range finder to place them, OR IF in food plots, make up a rope with 10-20-30-40 yr markers and anchor one end at blind and just walk holding line at ranges, can make 360 degree circle about the blind fast and have markers placed FASTER
also can be something you can do with your grandson, to make him feel more involved with the whole thing!
ION area's with LOTS of tree's IF land owner is OK< you can also spray paint markers, like ONE WHITE dot for 10, 2 DOTS for 20 and sop one
or again tie survey's tape around tree's and keep color per yardage and have it all the same
be surprised how little things like this make life so much easier, all the more so if you have a LOT of stands, or if a buck is on the move fast and changing ranges a lot

ManOfTheFall
08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely put them to use.

Big_Holla
08-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Good luck to you guys!! Practice..practice...practice!!

JSeelhorst
08-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Don't forget your safety harnesses and lifelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
08-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Today my grandson and I took down 3 old stands. We also took the tree steps out of one stand site and we are going to put new steps in. Now, all we have left to do is put 2 more stands up, hang a camera, put out some corn, and most importantly practice shooting.

ManOfTheFall
09-22-2015, 09:37 PM
My grandson, Trevor, and I did some shooting this evening. Here are some of Trevor's results from 20 yards.

nomad_archer
09-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Looks like he is ready

ManOfTheFall
09-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Took my grandson out this evening and he had a nice doe come in. I gave him the green light when it was broadside at about 15 yards. He grazed the back of her front leg and the underside of her chest. Played it back on video and was able to capture right where the arrow was flying under her. I said he had buck fever and he said no I didn't, it was a doe, lol.

mrbb
09-27-2015, 03:36 PM
well close, lots of time left to get it right!
Good luck to both of you's