PDA

View Full Version : Wow

00buck
05-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Real slow around here even mrbb ISN'T POSTING

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

zachc
05-20-2015, 11:23 PM
You got that right! How's everyone's off season going? Bout to be preseason, anyone prepping for September already? I'm going to try and work some OT on memorial day to get some extra cash, and hopefully buy me a new BowTech next month! Then its time to get it tuned in...can't wait! The spot I had a trophy rock at last year, the deer were starting to dig at so I bought some whitetail institute 30-06 minerals, broke the ground up a lil, poured about half a bag out and will prolly dump the rest next week. Threw a fresh camera card on it so we'll see how they like it.

nomad_archer
05-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Yep its the summer grind..... Turkey season is still open in PA but around me the woods are a jungle and the bugs are aweful so I most likely wont get out after a turkey again.

At this point I am focusing on improving my physical fitness doing at home workout programs. It seems to be working so far and I have kept at it now for 16 weeks. I have lost 18lbs and gained loads of muscle. That will make carrying the climber much easier. I am about to pick up some rubber stall mats for my basement gym area as well as picking up a few more beachbody workout programs. I found them online at reasonable prices. I will probably make a few summer scouting trips close to home just to see if I can find a new hunting spot on the public land.

mrbb
05-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Real slow around here even mrbb ISN'T POSTING

HAHA< yup I been quiet here too, check in, see nothing and leave like I guess most others do

I pretty much gave up hunting so?? unless I can offer help to others, not much hunting info happening with me
I still run trail cam's, NO fawns yet, lots of raccoon here about 7 different bears a few foxes a bob cat once in a while but never a clear pic, there always moving fast and get them lousy blurry pic's, and have seen geese now with little one's about 2 weeks, a few ground hogs with some young, have to think Fawns are out by now too

last week took a walk, found 4-5 bucks skulls with there antlers cut off, about 500 yrds from nearest road, in a pile??
been happening last few yrs like this here, either some taxidermist is dumping them and trying NOT to be found out, or I have some crazy critter finding them near roads and stock piling
as last yr I think I found like 9-10 in a pile not too far from this spot??
Crazy things you find walking the woods? LOL

Might get into a little fishing this summer, IF I get motivation
other wise, its quiet here all too often??

00buck
05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Bunch of coons here also

mrbb
05-23-2015, 06:45 PM
well I think I have 7 different one's that show up every night looking for bird seeds or??

and last night had my first female bear with cubs show up, a big female too, all of 300 lbs, and had 3 cubs, very small cubs, but a bear I know well, been a steady/regular one in my yard the past 5+ yrs, so she is some what used to me
I gave her some popcorn and some bread to try and get a few pic's, but darn cam acted up??
so, just got these?

mrbb
05-23-2015, 06:51 PM
and as for the coons
many folks MIGHT NOT believe this, BUT the coon came and chased the mother bear off my deck
its always funny how a BIG bear will run away from small animals, they really don't seem to like CAT's at all;, if a cat shows up, all bears here will run away like something was trying to kill them
Funny, but??
I think its cause a cat can sneak up on them and it scares them, they can get so close without knowing it??

00buck
05-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Good pics buddy

mrbb
05-24-2015, 01:43 PM
a couple more if you like em
the coons and the possum don't get along all that well here, Coons are greedy and don't like to share
BUT the coons are not willing to tangle really, just make a lot of noise and bluff's, all talk no real action/fighting LOL

the one bear in these p[ic's is a super small bear, maybe 45 lbs, and all alone, either was a serious runt last yr and its mother kicked it out this spring for mating season, or its mother was killed some how??
cute little guy, but has a hard road ahead of itself being on its own at this age/size
a mother bear normally spends almost 2 yrs with there cubs and the cubs tend to be about a 125-150+ lbs before there on there own, so, this little one is way off that
But that's mother nature for you,

zachc
06-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Wellll.....anyone still on here? What's new with everyone?

mrbb
06-04-2015, 04:13 AM
I'm still here, but its super slow here for sure.
been busy with some storm damage I been cleaning up, and just a normal spring here, odds and ends?l

nomad_archer
06-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Nothing new here. I'm just working in the yard and working on getting back in shape. I am donw 16-17lbs in 16 weeks which was about pace I wanted to go at. I have put on lots of muscle all is well here. There is still a ways to go but I start on my next workout dvd program on monday.

zachc
06-05-2015, 12:11 AM

A lil bit of both here, started working out a lil bit again, just to get back in shape in general and also trying to get things done around the house. Finally ordered and received my new bow!! Whoohoo!! Went with the BowTech Carbon Knight. Definite upgrade from the Diamond that I had since 07-08. I've only had a chance to shoot it about 2-3 times so I'm still trying to fine tune everything but so far...I love it! Should have everything set and ready to go by September. Still have a handfull of arrows but i think i want to buy some new ones. Anyone have suggestions, i want a good arrow but im not trying to spend a bunch. Besides that working and chasin' the little ones around, lol. Oh yeah and I sold my truck to get a full size 4x4 too, still shopping on that one tho. Anyone been seeing deer moving, I know around here they are moving pretty good, especially at night on my way home.

Griz
06-08-2015, 09:24 AM
I check in every once and while. Not much going on. Am looking forward to Sept here in NH. But really looking forward to my week in Nov when I'm going to the best deer hunting I've ever experieced. That would be Ohio ! You sure are lucky if you live there.

00buck
06-09-2015, 07:01 AM
I check in every once and while. Not much going on. Am looking forward to Sept here in NH. But really looking forward to my week in Nov when I'm going to the best deer hunting I've ever experieced. That would be Ohio ! You sure are lucky if you live there.

I dont know about that buddy I didn't see a whole lot last year and the ones I did see weren't the best quality deer either

nomad_archer
06-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Its all about perspective.

mrbb
06-09-2015, 01:45 PM
well I have to disagree, hunters in Oiho have a huge upper hand over a lot of other states
try killing a big buck in a state that has almost NONE<
SO, the fact that Ohio has a reputaiton for having big bucks on a regular basis nd has for yrs and yrs, puts it light yrs ahead of most others states
its been a top 5 state for yrs,. and that MAKES it a better than average ods state to kill a big buck in
its a lot harder to hunt big bucks in a state that has very few over the amounts in Ohio
think you had a bad season in Ohio, come to PA, and see if its any better LOL
you'll be running home fast and being happy your in Ohio LOL

nomad_archer
06-10-2015, 07:26 AM
PA's not that bad. I saw piles of button bucks, spikes and fork horns. A few does but not many and not a single legal buck while hunting and I sure did put in the effort this year. It was a great year for me compared to some I wont soon forget from the about during the lowest part of the deer densities in the recent herd reduction effort.

mrbb
06-10-2015, 12:27 PM
WELL, if your after a 120 class buck, or lets say a 150 class buck, its a totally different set of odds to over come in PA< as to Ohio, that is why Ohio is a top 5 state and PA isn't
YES , Pa is at its all time best right now for big bucks, but its still yrs behind the level of big bucks Ohio has, and has had for 20+ yrs
PA< at one time had the highest number of deer YES< and if all your goal is , is to KILL A DEER, it was a top state for that, BUT it was never a big buck state, and is still not one really, YES getting better, but again NOT at the level Ohio is
I'm not alone here, this is a fact, do any search on top 5 or 10 big buck states and I gather ohio is a lot closer to the top than PA is

PA< have been getting better, BUT its IMO< more due to so many hunters with private lands that are doing QDM, and MOST of all BIG bucks killed in PA< are off private lands(ohio, I gather has a higher rate here too, BUT still more big bucks on public lands than PA)
The PA game dept, sat on its as from the 50's to the 2000's, expecting the deer to grow on there own, doing very little if any habitat development for wildlife, YES they timbered, BUT they did so, for income, and was just a by product it help SOME wildlife out
wasn't till late in the game that they started to see how far gone the forest got from too many deer and over browsing and then, was too late to keep numbers up, as the food wasn't there for them, so next extreme was too kill as many as they could to try and save the forests
then they slowly started doing food plots to help forests
which IMO was again too little too late, forest are too mature in most places to re generate on there own now, they need more timbering and better forest management, and more controlled burns
BUT even IF you fix the forest, you don't have the genetic's the deer in Ohio have, or the rate of mature bucks ratios, or the fact deer in ohio, have better access to higher quality foods, due to more ag in Ohio than in PA< where we have more forested lands than crops
Like it or not, crop lands always have larger deer, and at times bucks, due to they can eat with output, add in they can many times live longer, and you get bigger bucks, and more of them
YES BIG bucks can grow and live in the big woods, BUT it takes them longer to get the same sized racks, a farm buck can get at a younger age, due to the easier food and more of it
this is all basic's and fact, NOT just my opinion here feel free to look into it, I ben involved in QDM for a LONG time, and not just a weekend hunter level either!
SO< Folks/hunters in Ohio, have it GOOD< super long season, and a larger population of larger bucks
HOW can that NOT be a better combination than hunting in PA< ?? OR about a 25+ other states that have deer?

radicalxl
06-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Well it's been a long while since I posted and just as long since I hunted (3 years). Found a spot close to my road where a big tree blew over, roots, dirt and sod intact well above my head about 30 yards in. It made a great natural blind and is on a heavily traveled trail. This looks like easy access for a busted up sixty year old. No toting, no blind building, just walk in with a chair and I should be good to go. If i can still shoot I may give it a shot this fall. Just have to git one of the son-in-laws to drag it.

Griz
06-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I've been hunting your state since 09 and can honesty say I have not had one bad year. I've seen shooters every year, putting and arrow in one is another thing. My seven to ten days spent in Ohio every year is time well spent. Every year hunted was on public land except the first two. I paid for access. Will not do that again. Buy the looks of things your in the middle of the state, don't be afraid to look into public land in the south east corner. You may be surprised. PM me, I'm more than willing to give you a few places I've scouted and don't have time to hunt. Hope everyone has a good season.
I dont know about that buddy I didn't see a whole lot last year and the ones I did see weren't the best quality deer either

nomad_archer
06-15-2015, 09:29 AM
radical thats what the son in laws are for. Heck if I was closer I would drag it out for you maybe even cut it up.

Big_Holla
06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Checking in to see who's still checking in LOL

mrbb
06-20-2015, 04:11 PM
well there BH< as always, I think MANY check in(based on this tread has almost 900 views)
BUT sadly almost none ever add anything, or to show they were even here! with a reply !
its a ghost town here more or less!

Big_Holla
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Sure is.........just too bad to see it like this.

00buck
07-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Yeah horrible from what it once was

zachc
07-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Maybe a nice little preseason giveaway would spark things back up...wink wink Mike! Lol.

nomad_archer
07-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Yeah horrible from what it once was

It is. I don't know what happened but it did and we will heat up a little come September maybe but the summer lull is awful.

Toke2
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Work, Kids, yardwork. That's my excuse. July is mid way, so time for me to get the trail cams out and start taking inventory of what I need to tune up, replace, and what new gadgets I can't live without. Can't wait to see if the Big 8 made it through the winter... Sometimes I think the prep and scouting is as almost as good as the hunt. Almost.

mrbb
07-14-2015, 10:17 PM
I for yrs felt the prep work of building food plots and running trail cam's was the BEST part of it, well right up until I have that target buck in my sights, then I tend to forget about the other things LOL

But since I stopped hunting now, trail cam's and hearing others tell of there hunts is my fun part of the game, or watching wildlife in the back yard, seems always have something out there, mostly bears now! LOL
up to 10 different one's now

gonehunting 45
07-17-2015, 07:31 AM
I look in but move on from lack of post. Bought a new bow. Will be the first year I haven't hunted with a browning bow.
Now sitting in the waiting room, waiting on my son's surgery to be over. Busted up his shoulder pretty bad playing softball. Putting it back together with screws and plates. Hopefully all goes well and he'll be sharing the woods with me this season.
I'll stop in again

mrbb
07-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Well best of luck to your son and a speedy recovery for him as well

gonehunting 45
07-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Well best of luck to your son and a speedy recovery for him as well

Thanks mrbb. Doctor said he hasn't seen a break like that in 15 years.

mrbb
07-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks mrbb. Doctor said he hasn't seen a break like that in 15 years.

maybe should be asking the DR's if a vitamin supplement should be added to his diet? as many times bad breaks can be traced back to some missing vitamin's, causing slightly weaker bone
like they drink milk, good for the bones and such
but hey,never know

mneal
07-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Just checked in for the first time since last fall...hopefully there will be others that find their way back. Just checked my trailcams for the first time this year after leaving them out for one week here in SE Ohio. One Buck who might be decent after another month of growth. Had a bad SD Card in my other camera and got no pics... even though they destroyed by Deer Cane and 150 lbs of corn.

whodey1966
07-26-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm still here. Starting to get that itch! It wont be long now. The best time of the year is getting close for me, Football season and Bow Season!!

ManOfTheFall
07-27-2015, 12:58 AM
I'm still here. Starting to get that itch! It wont be long now. The best time of the year is getting close for me, Football season and Bow Season!!

I second that!!!!!

Toke2
07-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Not sure why, but I always seem to put out my trail cams on the hottest days of the year. Yesterday I had some time and was in the neighborhood of the cabin, so put on some LONG pants, a can and a half of bug repellent, took 3 bottles of water and hit the woods. Bugs still were killin me - and think I lost 5 pounds of water. Amazing how different the forest / woods are from year to year = tons of downed trees ( one ladder stand was a casualty). Also amazing how dense things are in the summer vs. mid-late fall. I could barely find my way around. Saw lots of deer sign - going back on the 15th to evaluate and possibly relo a few stands. If history holds true it will be the hottest day of the year. Despite the heat, great time of year!

mrbb
07-30-2015, 10:45 PM
token, I hate summers heat and them pesky bugs
YRS back I bough me a GOOD bug suit, a Bug tamer plus, and its a god send in bug protection
ONLY issue I have with it is I WISH they made the dam things in LIGHT colors, like white, light gray or blue
as being in camo on a hot summer sunny day, it heats you up
BUT it stops them mosquito's from getting even a single bite on me
beats bug spray by a 100 to one in my eye's

and in early season warm weather bow hunts, its a awesome camo jacket withjust a T shirt under it
one of the best things I bought over the yrs
as it works as it claims it does, unlike so many other things they sell today!

Have thought about buying a second suit and trying to bleach it to get it a lighter color, for summer time work, being all mesh, it can be a LOT cooler if just a lighter color?/
I own the jacket pants and gloves
and its priceless in summer time when putting up posted signs about the swamp, without it I would be a few quarts low on blood by days end LOL
https://shannonoutdoors.com/bugtamer/

Toke2
07-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks MRBB! Looking at their stuff on line... may be a worthwhile investment for pre-season scouting and for early season bow hunts where the bugs are still in full force.

mrbb
07-31-2015, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't NOT own one, I have hunted in many laces where the bugs are BAD, from AK to swamps here in PA
and its a super bug suit, that simple design of a double layer mesh, just plain works
I cannot tell you how crazy it is to have say 200-300 mosquito's on you and NOT getting bit by a single one
the buzzing will drive you nuts, BUT sure beats getting sucked dry
I also use a therma cell in early season, SO I don't have to wear the head net,a s they suck, LOL
But even the head net that comes with the jacket isn't so bad on the Bug tamer jacket
can see good till very low light, and then its get harder, but normally I can flip if up fast if needed, or suck up the last 10-15 minutes and donate a little blood for the last few minutes of a sit , IF I don't have a therma cell going that is!

I have tried several bug suits over the yrs and to date this one is by far the best of them all

I have a buddy that works as a guide in AK, and right now he is having a lot of luck with the clothing that is coated in Permethrin, he says it works good for about 4-6 weeks, pretty good, then its SO SO at best, BUT if going on a hunt, and its a week or 2 of hunting, its NOT a bad deal maybe??
or for summer time, as they make REAL clothes with it, NOT just hunting apparel
this si what he is using now, for working NOT just hunting in AK, and they have BUGS there , trust me, when he says something works OK<
it should be a pretty decent product! LOL

http://www.insectshield.com/FeaturedProducts.aspx

http://www.exofficio.com/search/bugsaway/mens

MICH
08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
hey guys, i love this sight but baseball & softball rapped up in middle of july, short break then football and new this year to our house....volleyball!!! just a few reasons i'm not on here so far....cameras have been out up here so its close guys...enjoy the summer

scoutinlife
09-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Been a couple year since I've posted still ghost reading on site from time to time. Getting ready to head out to the stand in 30 mins or so winds perfect for the ladder stand next to the food plot behind my house 😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk