PDA

View Full Version : Almost that time again!

zachc
04-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Anyone else gonna be out opening day? I'll definitely be in the fields! Had these 14 Jakes and 1 gobbler come across the field Tuesday morning. And Wednesday morning had 4 hens, a Jake, and a gobbler come out and put on a show for us. Later in the morning, 3 more hens and another gobbler. Anyone else having seeing some birds?

mrbb
04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
oopening days is a little ways away here in PA
BUt all winter due to the deep snow and it being on the ground for so many months here, I think populations here will be way down
all winter , driving the old roads behind my place, about 7500+ acres, wasn\t a single turkey track to be found in the snow
BUT yesterday I did see two gobbles out in a food plot, NO idea where the heck they were at all winter,??
BUt I guess there are at least two of them here that made it thur the wiinter LOL

I WOn't be out after them, and think most folks in my area are going to struggle to get one, due to the winter kills
Might not be a bad thing either, as the population of turkeys here was getting out of control, eatting too many area clean of acorns,
so this should help on that! maybe some better regeneration now of some tree's and more small game

nomad_archer
04-06-2015, 06:44 AM
I will be out in PA in just under a month. I usually dont get a bird but I have lots of fun. It is loads harder to hunt them in the big woods in the mountains but so much fun.

mrbb
04-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Nomad I fully agree, BIG woods ANYTHING is harder than hunting near farms or rural area's
the vastness of where they could be is a HUGE part of it, and the fact food can be any where or lack of it, or quality of it!

on a side note, was almost 65 here today spent the full day outside and actually heard my first Gobble of the yr, right behind my house
which is funny as all winter, say last 3 months, I have been all over behind the house has snow for past 3 + months straight, and never seen a turkey track, snow melted down and BOOB there back LOL
NO idea where they went, but I covered about 10,000 acres of logging and old dirt roads all winter here and again NO tracks not a one!
wildlife sure has its wonders!

YouthHunter
04-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Something I say every year I'm going to get into more, but I never end up having enough time.

zachc
04-09-2015, 12:05 AM
I read in the recent field and stream about planting winter wheat for a quick spring plot for turkeys...so seeing as we already sprout winter wheat for our chickens and we needed to order another bag, I ordered 2 of course. Went out this morning and planted a small spot in my spring plot where the clover didn't come up very good (my fault, rest of the clover looks real good). So we'll see how that works out. Anyways, from between about 11:30-12:10 this morning had 1 Jake and 7 hens walk through the property! 12 days fellas!!

mrbb
04-09-2015, 04:22 PM
if you want to plant a CHEAP fast growing food plot for turlkeys, look into Buck wheat, grows like a weed seeds are cheap, and turkys will ove you for it, and flock to your grounds, seeds are cheap too, and it grows in poor soils
and maybe just as good, it will keep the soil easier to turn over for a fall deer plot too!, just come back in late summer turn plot over, add any needed lime, or fert and add your fall plot seeds, be them rape turnip or>>
and OH yeah, deer love buck wheat too, so its a great spring plot

winter wheat is typically planed in the fall, just before forst time, by a few weeks, so most folks plant it way in advance to get a good take the following yr!

zachc
04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Like I said only planted a small spot to see what happens. Also when we sprout it for our chickens, we divide it into small containers and in about 6-7 days its already a good 6" tall. Had another 12 hens and 2 big toms with about 8-10" beards in the plots this morning. 45 minutes later across the road was another 10 birds.

00buck
04-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Been watching them in the fields going to go out if work and family allow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehunting 45
04-12-2015, 08:04 AM
I've tried turkey hunting a couple times with no success. Found more guys using the public area for turkey than during deer season. Then I did get a tom located only to watch another hunter try to cut him off. That guy beat me back to the parking area and got out of there fast. He knew what he did. But public land is public land. After yesterdays encounter my interest has been sparked again. Might have to do a little research. That new hoyt nirtum 30 needs some woods time.

gonehunting 45
04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Not the greatest pictures. You can barley make out that Tom's beard. That was a cool day....think I'll have to give it a try

zachc
04-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Well I went out opening morning. Had a tom and a hen about 500-600 yards out. Got him to gobber about 8-10 times and then he went silent. I could see him on the next farm over in a big cut bean field struttin' around but of course wouldn't leave her. Sat til about 8:30-9:00 and called it a day, nothing else. This weather is killing us tho! When it was warm and sunny out we saw birds everywhere, cool temps, rain, and wind isnt helping us at all. Supposed to warm up towards the emd of next week tho so we'll see what happens i guess. Anyone else go out yet?

mrbb
04-26-2015, 12:38 AM
well season hasn't started here yet
next weekend I think(might have started today LOL)
BUt I don't plan to hunt, did walk about 10+ miles today looking for sheds, however, seen a bunch of deer , live one's and one dead buck skull, with antlers cut off??
SO< another cheater I guess got him??

also found a dead rabbit?
other wise just a lot of walking and fresh air today here!

nomad_archer
05-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Beautiful morning in nw pa big woods. Got a few birds going this morning. Much better than opening day. Too many hunters. Looked like the doe opener up here. Hung a stand on Sunday for next year. Great sign on the edge of a clear cut. Most sign I have saw in 10 years. Also saw a her of 11 deer. Been 12 years since I saw that.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/04/caa7f08e40f76749da82f726400fb5f2.jpg

zachc
05-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Nice! I took out oldest out yesterday morning for her first turkey hunt (I was hunting). Saw a handful of birds, in the same spot I always see them in 500 yards out. Don't jkow if she was able to are any of them through the binoculars but we
did hear 8, yes she counted and made sure I knew there was 8 lol, gobbels. Never had any birds come in though. Plan on sliding out at least a couple more times this week so we'll see what happens.

nomad_archer
05-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Slow here today. One bird gobbled for the first half hour then found a girlfriend. There are a lot of hunters still on a Tuesday.

Here is the view of the stand I put up on the edge of a clear cut. I can see a long way and there is excellent cover.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/79e6e63fe46fca3f66f94ac1123079df.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/4fa57df3c27236ee2ffd4d9fb63d035c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/baac10f69892b645e1031894a611effe.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/48830be71c0c9b934a42f397b15839a4.jpg

mrbb
05-05-2015, 10:51 AM
well just talked to the guys at my hunting camp, they too said LOTS of guys out there for mid week?

they are up for a week to try, said action is quiet due to so many hunters being out, BUT seeing lots of turkey sign, scratching's and such
and green up is still a ways off I can see there too!

good luck

nomad_archer
05-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Green up is a long way away up there. The weather was cold on Friday and Saturday and very hot on Monday and Tuesday. There was tons of people out hunting during the week. More than the first saturday of the rifle doe opener. I have no answer as to why. It is never this busy up there. The birds were being heavily pressured and had lock jaw. I wish I knew I was going to have so much company. I would have found some where else to hunt. The fishing was equally slow in the afternoon. On the positive side I did find and hang a new stand. The pictures dont do it justice on how heavy that cover is and the view is just awesome. The best part is it is only 150-200 yards from the road. I usually dont hunt that close but the sign is there so I figured why not. My dad plans on trying out the stand in October before I get up here.

zachc
05-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Anyone killed a bird yet? Having any luck? I've been out a couple times over the last couple weeks and haven't had much luck. The only birds I can seem to hear and/or see are on the next farm over where I can't get...yet, lol. Only a couple of days left here in Ohio....

mrbb
05-14-2015, 12:15 PM
haven't been hunting them this spring, BUT this morning was at a buddy's far, picking up some feed corn, and a BIG old long beard was gobbling its brains out about 40 yrds from me, watching em dump corn into my totes, every bag I emptied he gobbled and came closer, at one point he was about 20 yrs or less from me
Funny how some of these turkeys get so dumb and others when hunting can be such a challenge LOL
Its like they know when you have a weapon and when you don't HAHA!

and YES I can hunt this farm too, just no desire to hunt turkeys this spring, but pretty sure I could have gone home came back with a gun, and kill it, it was 10 minutes from my house or less
BUT no challenge there, SO?
Good luck to you all trying still, its not over yet !

nomad_archer
05-15-2015, 02:25 PM
We just hit mid-season here in PA. I am in the South Eastern part of the state. Turkey numbers are low enough that we dont have a fall season. I was out all morning until noon. I didnt hear a sound. I did see a few in the off limits area at middle creek. That place is pretty cool. Well except there is very little open to hunting.

zachc
03-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Well now that bow season's over, only means 1 thing...countdown to spring turkey!!! Anyone plan on going out this spring? I haven't seen much of any bird action out here but its still pretty chilly so...

zachc
04-08-2017, 11:49 PM
Turkeys are moving around here! Been seeing a nice group of hens and a couple nice toms around the house this week, one Tom out at full strut a couple days ago. Also saw a couple strutting in a field in the way to work today. Hopefully this is a good sign of what's to come!

Anyone going out this spring? Seeing any birds?

mrbb
04-09-2017, 05:53 PM
back in feb I was in a coyote hunting contest, and I called in turkeys 5 different times using a dying rabbit call, in 5 different locations, about 10+ miles apart LOL

I was a scratching my head on that one??

but I heard many gobbles back in end of feb? pretty early, but I heard a ton more last Feb. in same contest held same time of yr every yr!

SO< it seems like there starting a lot sooner than most think and most seasons even start!

I have seen many out in fields since then in full strut with hen's a showing off,
I won't be out after any
but I do hear them gobbling every day I am outside in my back yard doing stuff
from sounds of things, it should be a decent season, pending HOW fast green up happens

best of luck to anyone going out!!
heads up, TONS Of ticks this yr being reported by everyone I know walking the woods, seems like a boomer yr for them!

zachc
04-30-2017, 01:11 AM
If anyone is still on here...have any luck with dropping a bird yet? I went out the 2nd morning of the season and didn't see or here a one.

mrbb
04-30-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm still checking in every so often, but its SLOW here to say the least!

I ain't hunting much at all these days, but hearing gobblers all over here gobbling and seeing them strutting all over as well, have a few small jakes that show up in my yard a few times a week and always put on a show for me, with some young hens with them.
haven';t heard any shooting however, and gun club lands butt against me and seen a LOT of guys out yesterday, was upper 80's here, so, WARM to say the least, green up is WAY off yet however, so shoudl be good hunting at first light any how before it warms up and them bugs get annoying!

00buck
05-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Haven't tried but am in the middle of some stuff at work and home

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk