PDA

View Full Version : How was your Deer Season this year?

Seeker Bp
02-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Good to still see some familar names and faces still on BHO!! So how was your season? It felt good this year to actually spend some quality time in the woods and put some venison into the freezer! A year off last season was probably the best thing that I ever did, just to get things straight and also realize how much I enjoy the great outdoors and hunting in general! Bring on Summer! Time for turtle lines.........have a good summer......Seeker BP

mrbb
02-11-2015, 10:24 PM
well my season was about as I expected, I didn';t plan to hunt this yr and stuck to that.
LOL
but I did spend a lot of time in the outdoors as always just didn;t hunt
with this, it seemed like a bad yr for most folks my way, few deer kills and weather was up and down at times
and this winter is turning out to be a nasty one, I am sure winter kills will be high this yr up my way!

heading to the sportsman show tomorrow in Harrisberg PA, so, looking to kill some time there

zachc
02-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I gotta say all of the prep I put into this years season had me really stoked! Bought a new piece of property (5 acres), started out watching some good deer growing around my area, I've never really messed with food plots to much until this year so after buying a small tractor I planted a spring plot and a fall plot, watch some BIG bucks grow all summer with pic after pic, so I was thinking I was going to be able to kill a big one off of my property. The deer disagreed, once opening day roll around movement became very speratic. But anyways I successfully had 2 food plots grow and was able to somewhat manage a small piece of land, and although I didn't shoot them ony property I was able to put 2 does in the freezer! So overall I would say I had a pretty good and blessed year. And most importantly I was able to teach our 2 girls a lil about deer hunting and more about the outdoors in general!

nomad_archer
02-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I had another good year. I got two does one with the bow and one with my rifle. I saw a decent amount of deer and really enjoyed myself this year. I had a great time with family and friends. Just couldn't beat it.

Griz
02-12-2015, 06:18 PM
I did a one week trip to Ohio and saw a few bucks. I averaged seeing 2 a day but not the mature ones that I wanted. I did kill a nine pointer end of week. It was not what I went down for but he looked bigger than I thought and only had a short time to decide to shoot or not. Need less to say a little ground shrinkage. But still very happy with him and had a great trip. Already reserved a cabin for next year. You all have a great state to hunt whitetails in. As far as NH, I saw one buck all year out of the tree. A tough place to hunt. Exspecially after hunting Ohio.
I'm glad to see your hunting and looking forward to more.

Big_Holla
02-16-2015, 11:11 AM
I had fun this year.......LOL

hortontoter
02-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I finally proved nomad archer wrong (it is a joke). He told me a few years ago I came up with excuses for not shooting deer every time I had one in range. I told him I was waiting for the RIGHT deer to come by. Last Nov. 11 at 3:30 in the afternoon he finally showed up and I took a shot. A 3 1/2 year quest for the buck I named Splitter in the spring of 2011 came to an end.

mrbb
02-26-2015, 07:49 PM
well glad to hear you got him, after such a long chase
couldnm't have been to a better guy, for all your time after him as well

BY any chance did you have him scored, doesn't matter a great buck and lots of history, but just wondering??

hortontoter
02-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Yes, Stan, I rough scored him at 155 2/8 gross and 150 3/8 net. I plan to have him officially scored for the BBBC this spring.

mrbb
02-26-2015, 08:25 PM
HAHA I was guessing 151 LOL, so was close
NOW the question is, what you going to target next yr, now he is on the wall??
have any new target bucks??

hortontoter
02-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I had a couple other bucks that looked decent on my property last fall. One heavy horned eight that might be worthy of chasing next fall. Also a tall narrow framed ten with potential was running around too. I'll see what the cameras reveal this coming summer and see if I have any outstanding bucks in my area. It just won't be the same with the deer I killed this year gone.

00buck
02-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad_archer
02-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Hortontoter congratulations!! What a beauty. You sure did wait for the right one. I hope the opportunities on target animals come easy and often for you.

mrbb
02-27-2015, 12:33 PM
yes knowing a animal as well as you did that one, will be for sure missed, ITs however beetr to know the end, and all the better when it was you that got it. cannot tell you how many times over the yrs I let bucks walk for a few seasons , getting to know them, only to go MIA< and never know what happened, its this that sucks to me the most, as makes you wonder so many different endings.
having your own land, is abig part of hunting to me, as don\t get me wrong public lands can be great for hunting and killing big bucks, but , having your own, you get to see and watch things develop, and can even have some in put on how they turn out
I am sure you will find another worthy buck to chace.
best of luck to you in 2015 season , and up date this summer with a few pic's too!

hortontoter
02-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks, nomad. I couldn't help from ribbing you a little.

You are right Stan, at least I know what his fate was. How he managed to hang out in the area of my 10 acres that long was amazing. I never found his sheds or saw him until the day I shot him. I know he wandered from time to time and didn't show up for months, but he was a regular visitor to my Trophy Rock all summer every year.

Last summer he disappeared about the first week of August. I pulled a camera card on my way out from hunting on Nov. 7 that caught him in my creek bottom while I sat in another stand 80 yards away. I planned to hunt him in my creek bottom stand Nov 11 and 12th with all day sits. Luckily he showed up the first day on the 11th. It was a nine yard broadside shot as he slowly walked in front of me. I wanted to maaahh to stop him, but was afraid at that close range it may spook him. I took the shot as he walked and saw the hit. It was a tad higher than I wanted to be, but knew he was double lunged.

The first photo shows him on the 7th in my creek bottom. The second photo was taken just before I took him. You can see the white lettering on the limb of my crossbow in the stand opening.

hortontoter
02-28-2015, 10:42 AM
I check in sometimes, but spend most of my time on another forum. It is a shame this site fell apart.

Stonegod had told me you had lost managing the farm a while back. I'm so thankful I bought my place ten years ago. It is small but serves me very well as a place to hunt and spend some quality time away from the city in the summertime.

The yote contest sounds like fun, if the weather would cooperate. I couldn't take those temperature though.

hortontoter
02-28-2015, 05:16 PM
A shame they way things went down with the farm. Greedy family members throw a wrench in lots of estates. I can understand how the outcome was a punch in the gut.

I not a heavy poster on any sites. I like sharing trail camera pictures and hunting stories the most. And it is nice to cheer each other on during the season too. If a site isn't interesting it is time to leave. That is the only reason I abandoned this site, not enough participation. I doubt it will ever be what it once was for a number of reasons.

mossbergbryson
03-11-2015, 02:47 PM
I didn't fill a tag. I ended up gut shooting a doe and watched as another hunter about 60 yards away put her down.