PDA

View Full Version : Last week of season coming up!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
01-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Will anyone be spending any time in the stand this next week. I would like to put one more doe down so i will definitely be in the stand. Probably Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Good luck to anyone still after them!!!!!

ranger175a
01-25-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm going to try and make it out a few times.

zachc
01-26-2015, 01:25 AM
I'll be out at least a couple more times...

Genesis 9:3
01-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Well it's looking like this will be my worst year hunting since I got my bow... dang those critters are finicky! Hunted a new property on Saturday night... walked the edge of the field looking where to set up, then came back and waited. 3 Hrs later one comes out upwind (west) and smells my tracks and freaks out! Then I look to the east and see four more looking concerned and then watch as they wave goodbye. I'd really like to get at least one doe in the freezer... I'm kicking myself for not getting my bow tuned earlier as I recall missing 3 deer that one weekend...

If I can't do any better this weekend, it'll be back to slaughterhouse meats for my family this year... gosh I hate that stuff!

mrbb
01-26-2015, 02:18 PM
well hunting is NOT supposed to be easy, or I doubt many would do it. the challange is a main reason many find the joy in success when it happens.
That said, SOrry your having a bad season, BUT the fact you have had chances says your on the right path, in real terms, only about 20% or less of all hunters fill there tags, so again its not an easy sport!
this yr seemed to be very odd up my way, I didn't hunt at all this yr, first time in 35 yrs since I started
BUt I haven;t heard of many foks up thsi way getting any deer, far and few seems to be the rule now a days
I don't think its a lack of deer, just a LOT smarter deer now than 10 yrs ago, and a lot more are very nocturnal these days, as to yrs ago!
said it before and will again, I think deer have us hunters figured out and have adapted to use, better than we have to them
MINUS the folks with prime lands and food plots
Killing a deer is a struggle on most average hunters, due to deer changing how they live as to yrs back!
and many time's poor quality of food/cover and shelter on public lands!

00buck
01-28-2015, 07:16 AM
I will be out haven't had anything close enough with a bow yet haven't even shot at any all season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad_archer
01-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Good luck guys

01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
MRBB, you make some good points. I'll add to it that my bow was way out of tune this season, which I'm certain didn't help! (I just got it tuned with a new string.) That said, I think those critters are certainly catching on, as I've never seen them so skittish before! This year, no matter where I set up my stand, they seemed to have some kind of sense about not providing a shot... whether it be location, time of day, which path to take, etc.

But at least I have one more weekend to hunt! (Before my wonderful wife cashes in that coupon I gave her for Christmas that says I have to shave the beard... the small print made it clear the coupon was not good during hunting season!)

Good luck you guys!

ManOfTheFall
01-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Shaving the beard? Yeah mine is coming off too after hunting on Saturday courtesy of the wife, lol.

00buck
01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Mine will also be gone but Sunday for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManOfTheFall
01-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Had a 30 yard broadside opportunity this evening and I took a chunk of skin and hair off her back. I could not believe how far she ducked down. These late season deer are always way more wise and skittish than they are in the early season. I guess next time I will have to aim under her lol.

zachc
01-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Well I planned on going out Wednesday morning but woke up to it being 9° out and thought... Uhh no thank you I'm climbing back under the warm blankets! Lol. Woke up at 6 this morning to see it was raining and windy as all get out so that didn't happen either. So...gonna try it again in the morning, weather permitting. Wish me luck, the countdown is on...

ManOfTheFall
01-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Good luck there Zach!!!!! I will be back out Both Friday and Saturday evenings. I've got 2 more hunts to fill one more tag.

mrbb
01-30-2015, 01:56 PM
well good luck to you's all still at it
I know bucks or some up here are still holding antlers
all the snow I have now seems to have them in groups now too
was loking for sheds today and found sections of beds, every place there was one deer bed there was 12-20 right next to it

NO seheds found, but might be early yet, or heck, there under the 14 inches if powder snow some place I have now!LOL

ManOfTheFall
01-30-2015, 09:24 PM
They took the lower path through this evening, about 12 or so of them. About 100 yards away so obviously no shot. I have one more sit to fill my last tag. Wish me luck. It has been a heck of a season for me in more ways than one, lol.

zachc
01-31-2015, 12:11 AM
Well good luck Man! I didn't make it out this morning, woke up to 22 mph winds with gusts of 30 mph. A lil to windy for me to sit in the stand just IMO. Tomorrow morning for sure! Clear skys and cold with the moon shining bright. Should be a good morning...

ManOfTheFall
01-31-2015, 05:53 AM
Maybe we can double up Zach!!!!!

zachc
01-31-2015, 07:37 AM
After a couple days of nasty weather, I get a PERFECT morning in the woods, cold, quiet, just a slight breeze...all to have it prolly ruined by 3 dogs running all over the woods!!!! They finally got close enough to hear/see me and I just scared them off so I'll try to sit a couple hours and just hope something walks by...almost had dog for dinner boys, lol!

ManOfTheFall
01-31-2015, 09:54 PM
I had a not so fitting end to my most painful but successful season. I took a shot at a doe. I saw I hit her back a little bit. I watched her as far as I could. Then the one thing happened to me that hasn't happened since I've been hunting on this property. There is one small plot of land that is no mans land. The owner lets no one, no how, no way, on their property. That is where she went and laid and I couldn't get her. Unfortunately there is nothing I can legally do here.

zachc
01-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Well that sucks to hear Man! At least you saw something, that's a plus. Still have one more day, lol. As I posted earlier, 3 dogs ruined my hunt. I sat until a lil after 9 and saw absolutely nothing! I do have to say tho, it was an absolute beautiful morning, couldn't have been more perfect (except the deer cooperating). Might try to hit it one last time in the morning...again depending on the weather. Doesn't sound like its gonna be to good tho so we'll see.

nomad_archer
02-03-2015, 08:36 AM
I had a not so fitting end to my most painful but successful season. I took a shot at a doe. I saw I hit her back a little bit. I watched her as far as I could. Then the one thing happened to me that hasn't happened since I've been hunting on this property. There is one small plot of land that is no mans land. The owner lets no one, no how, no way, on their property. That is where she went and laid and I couldn't get her. Unfortunately there is nothing I can legally do here.

It is unfortunate but good on you for following the letter of the law. Its hard to do but when the land owner says that is how it is you are better to respect his wishes then to have to deal with a trespass headache. Next season is right around the corner and it will be here fast.

mrbb
02-03-2015, 11:58 AM
have to ask, did you even ask the land owner if maybe he would go look for her, or tag along with you?
I mean, nothing wrong with asking, you can for sure tell him, you know his thoughts on no mans law, but just hate to see a deer get wasted??

ManOfTheFall
02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
We were told to not even go on there property period for any reason by the landowner we hunt on. In the past some neighboring hunters went there and when the owner saw they were hunters they went back inside and came back with a shotgun and said they have a minute to get off their property. So, no I did not go there.

mrbb
02-03-2015, 05:14 PM
HAHA< I didn';t say to GO there, I said, maybe you should have asked about recovering a deer , or asking if they woyuld do so for you
why waste a deer by NOT even attemting to recover?
if the land owner lets you hunt PART of the land, shouldn't be a big deal to just ask??
NOT saying to go against the land owners wishes at all, just never hurts to ask
odds are the owner doesn't wanta dead rotting deer in his backyard either??
its part of being an ethical hunter in my book to make all the attempts possible to recover an animal they shot! IMO
not bashing either, just saying
whay not ask?

ManOfTheFall
02-04-2015, 12:10 AM
I completely understand what you are saying. I'm saying this man is known in our area well and believe me you don't want to go knock on his door about recovering a deer. Yes, I know of other hunters on neighboring properties and they don't know if he fired at them but as they were driving away he definitely at least fired his shotgun into the air and they did call the sheriff on them. Nothing ever came about it cause nothing could really be proven other than a gun was fired in a legal area where guns can be discharged. So, no. I'm not now or ever in the foreseeable future going on his property.

mrbb
02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I completely understand what you are saying. I'm saying this man is known in our area well and believe me you don't want to go knock on his door about recovering a deer. Yes, I know of other hunters on neighboring properties and they don't know if he fired at them but as they were driving away he definitely at least fired his shotgun into the air and they did call the sheriff on them. Nothing ever came about it cause nothing could really be proven other than a gun was fired in a legal area where guns can be discharged. So, no. I'm not now or ever in the foreseeable future going on his property.
well like I said, NOT bashing heer at all
BUT if it would have been me, I would have tried to have a plan B in place for something like this
secondly, if this owner is teh nut you say, I would have maybe tried involving the game warden, for recovery, as there is a game law called wanton waste, menaaing its against the law to knowingly allow the waste of a deer
as many times a warden cvan gain acces a private person cannot, and well with this guy being a little off his rocker, it might allow a recovery and be a problem free way too!
or atleast letting him know (warden) what the person is like if any futire problems occur
anyoen shooting randomly at people is a problem
know many like this over the ysr too, known a few that used to shoot at the tires on folks riding atv's and MX bike?? CRAZY with a capital C type
even been one of them he shot at LOL
so, I understand this a little better than you might think
like I said if it was ME< that's what I would have done, I admit I am a guy that may go a little father than others, everyone has a right to do as they please??

ManOfTheFall
02-05-2015, 12:20 AM
I understand you don't know the whole history here and I completely understand what you are saying.This guy has had the sheriff called on him and it's not just because of hunters. He has also had the game warden called because of this exact thing. Both the game warden and the sheriff have talked with him and the neighboring property owners. They also advised the other neighboring land owners to stay off his property and if any one that hunts on them to not retrieve any game off his property. It really sucks cause somehow this guy owns like a 1 acre plot that is surrounded by 3 large plots of land. I didn't think you were bashing just stating an opinion which is cool with me.

mrbb
02-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Well sounds like you know more about it than me, and well, hey, coyotes have to eat too, maybe giving them a dead one will allow more live one's to grow old

ManOfTheFall
02-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Never looked at it that way. That would be great if it actually worked like that.

mrbb
02-06-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm sure it does till the dead one is gone, coyotes are predators, and as such they always go for the easy meal first, saves them from having to waste needed energy to live, all the more so in the dead of winter
dead things around here disapear pretty fast!, and wounded one's get taken down a lot easier!
we have a good 2 plus feet of snow here now, and all ice under it
I am pretty sure there is going to be a bunch of winter kills this yr up my way
temps have been below freezing now for over a month too
so the small young one's will be getting picked off easier and just not have what it takes to make it
coyotes should be living it up here
my biggest coyote contest is in 10 days or so
so, will be doing what I can to kill a few!
almost 40 grand in the pot, so, double motivation, some cash maybe, and to help the deer out! LOL

02-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Well to change the subject, I know it's late... but the last night of the season (for me it was Saturday night) was a doosey! As I walked down the 1/2mile lane along the winter wheat to get to the woods, I watched as the deer waved goodbye (they are always so polite to do that aren't they?) as they ran the other direction. I stopped and thought about going back home... but didn't. I got up in the stand, hung out for about an hour and got so frustrated about how things had gone this year that I decided to cut my losses and go home. I let my bow down and turned around to loosen my harness strap around the tree... and stopped when I saw the whole herd about 70 yards behind me walking towards a soybean field I didn't have permission to shoot over. I quickly pulled my bow back up and sent out some doe bleats... nothing. Then some fawn bleats... hey, that turned some heads!

After about 15 minutes of praying and playing with the deer they turned around and all 20+ of the ran back to where they came from... blast! Within 45 minutes I had let my bow down again and took my harness loop off the tree when I heard footsteps. A young deer was passing about 30 yards behind me... of course there wasn't a clear shot, as I never imagined deer would walk through there and hence no shooting lanes. Then two more came up behind it. Then I heard footprints behind me and two deer were 30yds out on the other side of me!

Well one of the first three went around in front of me, another circled around way back behind me and another came up right next to me... and I learned a valuable lesson! Always have your bow drawn before you bleat at a deer if you are trying to get it to stop... I know now! Yep, that one ran away...

But in the meanwhile, the first deer that came up behind me had walked back into the soybeans... and was VERY curious. So much so that when I scared off the deer by bleating at it, this deer came back to check out what made the noise! It didn't give me the best shot, but I was out of time and in need of meat. Well I'm sad to say I spined it, but I didn't have any tracking to do... we now have an extra 40-50 lbs of meat in the freezer!

nomad_archer
02-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Good job. Meat in the freezer. Sometimes shots don't always hit exactly where we plan but sometimes we get lucky. No need to beat yourself up about a slightly off shot.