PDA

View Full Version : New Arrows, old arrows and Sportsmans Warehouse

Genesis 9:3
12-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Time to doll out a +1...

Nearly two years ago I went to Sportsman's Warehouse (SP) in Lexington KY and bought a dozen Goldtip Hunter XP arrows and had them cut to 28" (didn't have my bow or arrows to compare them to). Later I got home (Cincinnati, back then) and realized they were cut too short. A few months later I shot off an e-mail to customer service just to see what their response would be and recieved a phone call from a new manager of the archery dept. a few days later. He told me to come back in and they'd re-cut some arrows for me and tune my bow for free.

This past weekend I finally made it in while visiting from friends. They cut me new arrows and did a quick review of my bow (I didn't have time to have it tuned) and now I'm back in the game with a dozen new arrows.

But wait, there's more! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

These new arrows are a little different than the one's I've been shooting. They have 340 spine on them, vs the 400 I've been shooting. I have a 30.5in draw and I'm pulling 60lbs on my Bowtech Destroyer 340.

When I release my old arrows, they are rarely pointing back at me when I hit the target... no so with these! They point right back at me... giving me the impression that my arrows I have been shooting were not stiff enough... hence the problems I had with the fixed blade broad heads I started out the season with last year!

Moral of the story... I never hurts to ask and make sure your arrows are stiff enough! I'm excited about this... perhaps that can help explain the 3 shots I missed earlier this season! (It's probably a stretch, I know)

MICH
12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
thats a great story, thanks for sharing it

nomad_archer
12-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Under spined arrows will cause you grief. Make sure you double check you sight since the stiffer arrows are probably a few GPI heavier than what you were using. Like you said it never hurts to ask. Great customer service there.

trperk
12-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Nice story.....

mrbb
12-02-2014, 05:33 AM
well glad they took care of you, and its nice to see a company do that in todays world of things,where good customer relations is a dying thing!
Now on a side note, many yrs ago, since maybe not many know it, overdraws were the norm in bows, which would allow you to shoot a shorher arrow from a long draw bow, 3 or 4 inch overdraws were very common, they helped add speed to bows as well due to shooting a shorter/lighter arrow
not sure why they dropped there use?
other than, having a shorter arrow, can be like a shorter brace, it can cause smaller movements when shooting to have bigger impacts on where an arrow goes?
BUT I would think many older bow shops would still have them about
I used one for 15 yrs problem free?, killed me a small herd of deer over them yrs too Lol

Big_Holla
12-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Good stuff! Underspined along with an out of tune bow will give you a lot of trouble with straight arrow flight. Often some of the causes why people cannot shoot fixed blade broadheads and opt for mechanicals.

Genesis 9:3
12-02-2014, 12:07 PM
That's definitely why I packed up my Muzzy fixed blades and picked up the NAP Killzone's... I thought I was saving money by buying the cheap arrows from the local shop, but ended up spending a good bit more than I bargained for! The guy who ran the business said the arrows would work fine... I know now not to just take anybodies word for it!