PDA

View Full Version : European Skull mount

ManOfTheFall
11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I am wanting to try a Euro mount for the first time. I have looked at some you tube videos and did some reading up on them. There are so many different options. If anyone on here has done some what do you think the best ways are and how did yours turn out?

blackbeard
11-10-2014, 05:19 PM
I pay a buddy to do my euros, well worth the $75 and well below the cost to do a shoulder mount.

blackbeard
11-10-2014, 05:19 PM
See my signature line for examples.

Genesis 9:3
11-11-2014, 01:23 PM
I've done one and am working on my second... I initially boiled then left outside to let the ants/bugs eat it out... then I learned about the water bucket method.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO YOUR OWN, DONT BOIL IT TILL YOU ARE CONVINCED YOU WANT TO DO IT THE HARD WAY!!!

Steps:
1) Skin the skull and get off as much flesh as possible (don't shove anything up the nose!)
2) Put it in a bucket of water... the warmer the better (~70-80°F for fastest results and keep the antlers out of the water!)
3) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
4) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
5) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
6) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up...
7) Repeat step 6 until all the brains, cartilage, flesh is disolved... oh yea, it's going to stink, bad! (Don't let it freeze)
8) Once everything has been eaten up by the bacteria and such, change out the water and add dawn dish soap for 2-3 soaks, 1 wk each.

You can bleach it if you want... but don't skip on the soap/rinse cycles as it gets the grease out. Your mount will turn yellow later on if you dont get all the grease out.

Some people put a clear coat on it afterwards... whatever you want.

Alternatively, $75 for a shoulder mount is a pretty good price!

Toke2
11-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Wish I would have read Genesis recommendation before I did mine. I boiled mine (learned a few techniques from Youtube also)...
It took several hours and two days. The Brains were stubborn and I needed needle nose pliers and a wire brush. It turned out o.k. but it DID STINK!! I can still smell the stench! It was not fun, but worth it for my first Buck. It was a modest 7pt. Not enough to get mounted in my opinion, but I love the Euro or "museum" mount in my home office! Genesis seems to have an easier way, just not sure I would want it to take 2-3 months. If so, I might buy the beetles. Plus I have two dogs, and many others in the neighborhood. Eventually I think something would have gotten to it while it was soaking. If you have the right place to do it that way, sounds like a good option. Regardless of which route you go, you will have time and work involved, but in the end, you will be glad you did it. And it's FREE!

blackbeard
11-11-2014, 08:24 PM
75 is the price of the euro not shoulder mount by the way

Genesis 9:3
11-13-2014, 12:49 PM
75 is the price of the euro not shoulder mount by the way

Whoops... that's a good point. But if you are like me and perfer to do things yourself, the technique is called maceration. There are plenty of sites on the web covering it. If you want to speed up the process, go get an aquarium heater to keep the water at ~70-80°F and it will go a lot faster, maybe 4-6wks or so? I did mine the lazy way as I wasn't in any hurry. Just be careful to no soak the antlers as it will discolor them a little, or leave it out in the sun, as the sun will bleach them as well...

There was also talk about peroxide making the bones brittle. Do some research! I'll have to get a pic of my euro if I ever get it mounted on a plaque. I will say, the nasal cavity is pretty cool to look at when it doesn't get destroyed by jamming things up it to get it cleaned out!

overdrawinNC
11-23-2014, 02:15 AM
I cut the meat off head boil in pot for 3 to 4 hours. Spray meat off head may require digging in brain cavity to loosen up brains Lol. Let dry mix white hair bleach and peroxide. Let sit for 2 days spray of with hose and your done. I charge 80.00

overdrawinNC
11-23-2014, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=overdrawinNC;160481]I cut the meat off head boil in pot for 3 to 4 hours. Spray meat off head may require digging in brain cavity to loosen up brains Lol. Let dry mix white hair bleach and peroxide. Paint mixture on skull let it sit for 2 days and spray of with water.

overdrawinNC
11-23-2014, 02:23 AM
[QUOTE=;160481]I cut the meat off head boil in pot for 3 to 4 hours. Spray meat off head may require digging in brain cavity to loosen up brains Lol. Let dry mix white hair bleach and peroxide. Paint mixture on skull let it sit for 2 days and spray of with water.

[QUOTE=overdrawinNC;160481]I cut the meat off head boil in pot for 3 to 4 hours. Spray meat off head may require digging in brain cavity to loosen up brains Lol. Let dry mix white hair bleach and peroxide. Let sit for 2 days spray of with hose and your done. I charge 80.00[/]