PDA

View Full Version : This made me go Hmmmmm

blackbeard
11-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Shot a doe this morning out of a 18 ft ladderstand at 20 yards. She was broadside. Complete pass through and she ran off in the death run. Arrow was stuck in ground and covered with blood. Some bubbles. I'm thinking ok, double lung shot she'll be within 60 yds. Wrong. Blood trailed her 250 yards before finding her. Good blood most of way coming out both sides with bubbles. See attached three photos. First one is entry hole where stick is. Second one is exit hole where stick is. Third one is view from back showing the stick as arrow location as it went through her. I got the bottom back side of the opposite side lung (exit). No lung on entry. Unbelievable. Doesn't look that high or far back to me so maybe not all lungs are in the same place!

10805 10806 10807

mrbb
11-09-2014, 09:32 PM
well like I said before, some deer are harder to kill LOL
shot one in that area with a 50 BMG, and it ran pretty far, with a hole you could about throw football thru and not hit anything?
some what explains, how a good hit can turn into a loss?
makes you wonder

zachc
11-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I agree that's a lil crazy, looks like a good double lung shot to me by where the entry/exit holes are. So did you shoot over/under her lung closest to you?

blackbeard
11-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I assume the arrow went just behind the entry side lung since I got the back (rear) of the opposite side lung.

Big_Holla
11-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Makes you wonder how many lost deer are due to something like that. Looks perfect to me and yet 250 yards later...

setool
11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I had a "VERY" similar type shot on one earlier this year... she went approx. 150 yards, and really didn't start bleeding good until the last 50 yards or so. Also, as a side note: I was using a lighted nock. I knew it was a good shot, full pass thru. I was SURE I knew where the arrow was to begin my tracking. Well, where I thought it was, vs. where it actually hit dirt was at least 10 yards difference.
Without the nock, I would have had a hell of a time finding 1st blood, since it took a while for good blood.

Lesson learned: Your eyes can deceive you, and things always look different on the ground than in a tree.

trperk
11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Helps track a friends deer with the same placement and wound channel last week. (And the deer went 400 yards and probably lived for 1 1/2 hours, good thing we waited) I wonder if the deer was in some position where the lungs push forward?

nomad_archer
11-19-2014, 06:57 AM
There isnt anything better you can do with shot placement. That is a big big big doe. Congrats on the doe. My last two shots have been a little back as in 4-6 ribs in from the back of the rib cage and both got double lung and were short track jobs. Which I was very surprised in both cases looking at entry and exit wounds. Those big deer sometimes do not give up the ghost as quickly as the smaller ones.

OHBooner
11-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Same thing that happened to me with my buck last year. I smoked him at 10 yards. I had no doubt he'd be dead on the hillside behind me. I chugged a beer to celebrate real quick and went to gather him..... or not. I was floored. I got backed out and decided to come back the next day. Fortunately, I had parked at a back entrance to the land I was hunting so I got in my truck and went driving to the landowner's house to explain that apparently I didn't hit him as well as I thought. Fortunately on my drive back i saw the white belly in a ditch across the street from the hill I thought he should have been dead on. Ended up going 200 yards across a road and a creek.

whodey1966
11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
So where exactly had you hit him?