PDA

View Full Version : Here we go week vacation

nomad_archer
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Tis the season. I am all packed up and ready to go to my cabin for a week full of stand time. I convinced my best buddy to come with me as well. Should be a good time. Hopefully we will have some opportunities and success. Monday is stand hanging in the morning and hunting in the afternoon. Wish me luck. I will post through out the week as I have service

mrbb
11-08-2014, 11:34 PM
well best of luck to you's
was just talking with a few of my friends that have a camp up near your's(well some what , a little more east of you and north LOL)

But they said the rut is on, been seeing a lot of bucks dogging does all day yesterday and Friday
so you should have a good week
IF it doesn't warm up too much!, mon/tues seems like the warmest days! then back to cooler , so

Good luck!

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-09-2014, 02:57 AM
I think you have hit it about the right time. things a little slow here on the Pa. Ohio border. they should get better this week and week end. Good Luck.

nomad_archer
11-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Mrbb looks like Monday and Tuesday will go a little on the warm side but the rest of the week will be cold. My dad was hunting clarion county last week an said it was slow.

Buckhunter - here is to hoping that I timed it right. The last week of PA archery season has been good to me in the past. Life has kept me so busy tomorrow will be my first time in the woods this year.

ManOfTheFall
11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Good luck. Hope to hear a great story and see some pics!!!!!

nomad_archer
11-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Good start so far. Hung stands yesterday and hunted the afternoon. Saw a buck a small doe. Its a good start.

Mikebaker
11-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Good luck! Keep us posted. Bucks are on lockdown on our farm so it's the frustrating time of the rut.

nomad_archer
11-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Bucks are just starting to move here. The buck yesterday was cruising at 3pm. The warm front coming in today killed the movement this morning so far. It is getting very cold tomorrow so I hope that is the game changer

nomad_archer
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Well it's been very slow today. I only saw 2 deer walking out at lunch. The 68 degree temps arent helping. It is getting cold tomorrow I can't wait. I have 45 minutes left today maybe something will happen.

rjonath
11-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Good lord I'm hoping for it to pick up tomorrow!!

mrbb
11-11-2014, 06:18 PM
hang in there better temps are coming, so is a big front
never got above 50 here today and was foggy all day
had a BUNCH of doe and button bucks in the yard today from about 1pm till dark
so they were moving here, but NO bigger bucks, ?? funny too, as some of the doe here are HUGE, would think some bigger buck would be following them, but nope??
not yet!

Toke2
11-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Good luck! Keep the updates coming. What part of Ohio? I was out on Monday (Belmont County) and saw more Turkey than deer. Cold front should help. Still have not seen any Rut action in my area, but I also hunt public land, so may be there, just not in my honey hole....

rjonath
11-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm in Geauga County and I've seen very little Rut action as well.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-11-2014, 08:11 PM
1081510814Went out this morning Ashtabula Co. windy and 67 Degrees. saw 0 deer. I put camera over new scrape I only had a doe with her nose in it and stood over it. saw about 6 new rubs in area I am hunting. what's up with that bucks around my area are acting like it is the middle of Oct. and, the Doe are acting like it is a typical day in the woods. I still can't get a pic of the big boy I am after near my swamp stand. 4 yrs. ago the big one I shot never got a pic. on camera until he made the mistake of putting his nose in my mock scrape. I hope the cold weather and snow they predict for Thurs. and Fri. turns things around here.

Jwright
11-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Went out this afternoon and had 2 little doe and a mom walk by me. They were by themselves and just like Buckhunter30-06 said - "Doe are acting like it is a typical day in the woods." Anyone else think that it could be later this week or first of next week before things pick up?

setool
11-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Went out this afternoon and had 2 little doe and a mom walk by me. They were by themselves and just like Buckhunter30-06 said - "Doe are acting like it is a typical day in the woods." Anyone else think that it could be later this week or first of next week before things pick up?

Went last night, only seen a mamma and her twins... feeding in my standing beans for 1/2 hour or so. I can't figure it out. Have a nice buck on camera from sunday a.m. at 9:30, neck huge, rutted up. Other than that, NO RUT ACTIVITY here in Greene County, but, more scrapes than I've seen i years... What gives ??

MICH
11-12-2014, 04:55 AM
I HOPE IT TURNS UP TODAY, IT HAS TO, BIG BOYS ARE ON CAMERA AT NIGHT ONLY.....BUT DAYLIGHT SHOWING HAS TO BE SOON.... good luck guys

nomad_archer
11-12-2014, 08:18 AM
It is game on today!!! Im in Forest county pa. I had a small buck a 4 or 6 come through at 40 yards at 730 he was moving with a purpose so i didnt get a good look. The temp with wind chill is about 30. My buddy already saw 2 bucks and 2 doe as of 815 am. It is getting good. Good luck boys.

whodey1966
11-12-2014, 08:34 AM

It could be that the doe you seen has already been bred and she will be back with her fawns and acting normal.

mneal
11-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Saw two small bucks and a decent 8 last night... all within the last hour of legal hunting. I too am thinking the cooler weather will get things rolling today. Neighbor shot a nice heavy 8pt yesterday morning at 8:15. Said he was cruising... not chasing .

nomad_archer
11-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Saw another small buck at 10 today. My buddy missed a six pt and saw 3 bucks and two does before lunch.

mrbb
11-12-2014, 04:35 PM
ran down to cabela's today and seen 11 dead bucks on the side of the road between my place and theer abouyt a 40 mile drive
so seems like there on the move and getting hit??

so hang in tghere this cold front next few days again, should be to your advantage! between them looking for food before the storm and the rut?
good time to be in the woods!

nomad_archer
11-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Saw a spike yesterday afternoon. Cold all day today snow starting at 9. It feels like a great time to be in the woods. Wind chill at 25 degrees it should be a great day

mneal
11-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Out last night and never saw a deer. I was in a stand that never has dissappointed ... kid that was on other side of property saw three does... under no pressure. I thought for sure the cold front would get them going strong.

whodey1966
11-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Its lock down time!! This is a great article for hunting the lock down phase of the rut.http://www.foremosthunting.com/Deer/Tips/HuntingWhitetailsDuringTheLockdown.aspx

nomad_archer
11-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Well this happened. Thought it was a decent doe. Turns out it was a button buck with nothing showing. 13 yards shot. 30 yard track job. Only deer all morning.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/13/79f6cce69f9c8ace79314d020442d23a.jpg

Wolfe
11-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I did the same thing last year during gun season. Thought it was a nice doe and when I found it I realized it was a button buck. Someone told me after I shot it that if you see what looks like a doe all by itself then it is typically a button buck. I had never heard that but seems to hold true in this case too. Good news is he still will fill your fridge and you won't waste him.

whodey1966
11-13-2014, 02:32 PM
I did the same thing last year during gun season. Thought it was a nice doe and when I found it I realized it was a button buck. Someone told me after I shot it that if you see what looks like a doe all by itself then it is typically a button buck. I had never heard that but seems to hold true in this case too. Good news is he still will fill your fridge and you won't waste him.

I agree 100 percent with that, the does will drive off their fawn if it happens to be a button buck to prevent inner breeding.

nomad_archer
11-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Up at my cabin the deer are pretty thin. Its not too unusual to see a lone doe. But short shot short track job. Butcher work starts after the afternoon hunt

mrbb
11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Well some times things happen,
I have seen many doe alone, same with buttonbucks its hunting season,
its not uncommon for a doe to have got killed, by hunter or car, to leave year lying all alone.
look at like this, smaller deer make for easier dragging out, and hey, can be a lot better eating, so?? Lol .
so all's well in my book
congrats on th kill tomorrow should be a great day to be out there , after tonights storm.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-14-2014, 04:15 AM
It is as if someone clicked on a light switch here in Ashtabula Co. last 2 nights with the colder temps. and snow bucks being shot and seen chasing. my buddy shot an 8pt. Wed night and 2 guys I work with both shot bucks Thur. night all chasing doe's. no lock down here just needed the colder temps and the snow triggered something. Sat. calls for partly sunny and cold. there will be some bucks hitting the ground on Sat. maybe 1 will be mine.

nomad_archer
11-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Col temps today and snow on the ground. Should be a good day heard some grunting in the thicket. This afternoon i get finish butchering my deer.

nomad_archer
11-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Nothing happened yesterday. So this morning I had a spike in at 30 yards and am unidentified deer in the thicket. Then I had a really nice black bear come through

mrbb
11-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Well hang in there, last day
and a bear walking thru to me was always a great touch to a hunt, funny maybe how folks in states without bears see , things like that with different views/ OR worries and so many Pa hunters don't bat an eye LOLd

nomad_archer
11-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Still looking for that shooter buck. Im just not seeing them. I had another spike come through.

mrbb
11-15-2014, 07:14 PM
well its Over now here in PA< hope you had a better evning sit than morning
I had to run down the farm today about 3 pm or so, , got to watch a doe being dogged hard by 3 bucks, they chased her all over the cut corn field, I feklt bad for her, she looked super tired! , tongue hanging out and all! , watched her for about 10 minutes to like NASCAR turning laps about the 50 acre filed LOL

also, there was about 15 trucks parked road side too, guess every hunter in the area now know's I am not on the farm, so its a free for all trespassing there without me there kicking folks out as in the past LOL
Oh well, not my concern no more I guess! sucks, but?

nomad_archer
11-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Well never made the evening stand. I pulled out one ladder stand and setup the shooting rail on the other for rifle season. Plus my old man thought he missed a doe at 16 yards since his arrow only had mud on the first 6 inches. Under closer inspection I saw 1 drop of blood in the arrow. My dad waited until lunch time so I could help him look. Well a few feet later we had a blood trail of sprayed blood on the snow. 70 yards later was his deer. So between butchering and pulling stands I did not make it out in the afternoon. Final score for 5 archery hunters in two cabins. 1 buck 2 antlerless a everyone had an opportunity some did not connect. Heck of an archery season. Now it is time for rifle season.

mrbb
11-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Well congrats to your Dad,
and that's hunting.
as long as everyone had fun, sounds like a good week.
Best of luck in gun season, these cold temps should make for a good gun season, will have a lot of guys walking and moving deer IMO

nomad_archer
11-17-2014, 10:16 AM
The cold will help move the people which will move the deer. For archery the really cold temps we had basically shut down the deer movement since were was a great mast crop the deer didn't have to go far for food so they would stand up eat and bed down and not cover any ground.

mrbb
11-17-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree when there is a lot of mast crops and hunting big woods, its a challange for sure, all you hope for in that is bucks be on the move looking for hot does, and even that is hard as they search bedding area's, and its rather hard to set up in one of them LOL

but the cold weather does make them feed mroe, and then come rifle season, here, the cold will have folks walking sooner and more often, BUT at the same time, I think with todays hunter numbers in PA, the cold might keep a lot mroe folks home too!
all the old timers in my hunting camp won't go out anymore if its cold?? they hunt more for fun and the cold isn't fun for them no more
I think the same is for a lot of even the newer hunters, there good weather types. but its rifle season, it brings out a crowd every yr and this yr will be the same, maybe not the million plus we used to have, but there will be a lot of orange out there on the move
best of luck to you and your friends/family too!

nomad_archer
11-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks mrbb. It seemed like temps between 34-45 ish really have the deer moving up there. But as soon as the lake effect snow and the temps dropped below 30 the deer movement really slowed down. But rifle is coming. My dad is going to sit in my rifle stand since I wont be there opening day. We know there is a shooter in the neighborhood but he never came into anyone that had a buck tag, he was always at rifle ranges. So I hope my dad puts a tag on him on opening day. Otherwise I hope it is me come first Saturday when I am up there.

mrbb
11-17-2014, 07:46 PM
well I hope you or your dad gets him, and then you can show us here what it looks like up close
that's one great thing about the rifle, it allows you to get a liitle farther out there and fill a tag LOL
rifle hunting is PA tradition, something I gather a lot of bow hunting sites members don't get LOL
I never picked a fav weapon, as I just loved hunting, and used every weapon I could to extend my time in the woods
there is a challange to all seasons if you set goals, and stick to them!
hasn't ben above 35 here is a few days, and calling for high this week in the 20's
if this weather lasts, opening deer season will be full of a lot of road hunters in cars and trucks LOL
I think that is also a PA tradition sadly LOL
but? hey, the good hunters get out there, and do there best, and many fill there tags doing so!
best of luck again

nomad_archer
11-18-2014, 07:03 AM
I enjoy rifle season. Not as much as archery but rifle is now I started and is in my blood. It used to be the big show but now it is the last chance opportunity. Most of my stands I hunt in archery work in rifle since they are in escape routes. Here is to hoping one of them puts a shooter buck in front of me. I have yet to see a shooter this year so lets hope that changes.

nomad_archer
11-18-2014, 09:23 AM
It was sub legal buck city at my cabin saw 4 spikes and 2 that may or may not have had 3 on one side they where so Small. Here is one of the spikes that came in.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/18/21f05dce05ee980045577a95214a20f3.jpg

mrbb
11-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Well that's one good thing about rifle season, bucks you never seen before can get pushed out of there home and into your spots.
and don't forget late season archery, that is the real last chance for Pa folks LOL
my last buck kill in Pa was a late season archery kill. So its a good time to hunt, few guys out too, so get the woods to yourself most places, and a good time to hunt state lands with food plots, deer hammer them that time of yr and again not many guys out, so ?
my buddy's have been pestering me to go out in rifle season, so who knows, might break down and buy a lic ??

but good luck, look forward to seeing a big Pa buck kill from you?

nomad_archer
11-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I would love to kill any PA buck, last one was a rifle buck in 2011. I haven't had many opportunities since then but when I did I was always on the wrong side of the brush pile. But I will never get a deer if I stay on the couch so I will be out. Late archery may happen as well. My local game lands have food plots on the so they should work nicely.

MICH
11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
hey guys, i always take the 1st or 2nd week of nov. i want to try next week, the week before gun season, next year????? whats your thoughts on it, the last 2 years the 1st two weeks of nov have been ....WEIRD???? just looking for your FYI.....thanks

whodey1966
11-21-2014, 06:17 AM
I would still stick with the first two weeks of November. Best time to be in the woods IMO.

mneal
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
I saw first two shooter bucks of the season in daylight on the 16th and 17th this year in SE Ohio... Sorry to say I could not get an ethical shot at either one. First one came in from behind my climber and downwind. I had to take bow off of holder... turn around in climber... unhook my safety strap to draw at that angle... and by then he was walking away at 45 yds.

Next night after the cold front and snow appeared... 13 deer in a 3 hour sit. I shooter who ran right underneath me chasing a hot doe. I grunted... yelled...stomped my feet.... but he never broke stride.

I am becoming a fan of the second and third week in November. Two years in a row... that is when I am seeing the mature bucks in daylight..

mrbb
11-21-2014, 11:09 AM
hey guys, i always take the 1st or 2nd week of nov. i want to try next week, the week before gun season, next year????? whats your thoughts on it, the last 2 years the 1st two weeks of nov have been ....WEIRD???? just looking for your FYI.....thanks
10+ yrs in a row I always hunting SE ohio the day after my PA archery seasosn ended , which was normally the second Saturday in Nov, )and stayed there for 7-12 days after that and I always had good action and chances at good bucks, didn't always close the deal, but always had my chances, some misses or lost deer were my reasons for not tagging out every yr!
every hunts I had several chances and for sure passed on a bunch of bucks I didn't want!, my standard in Ohio was 140+ or bust! too!
so after the second Saturday in Nov gets my vote for a weeks hunt!

MICH
11-21-2014, 07:45 PM
thanks guys, great info.....i always heard from the guys around otway that the week before ohio's gun season was a great time to get bucks to gome to " the horns "......AND, great chance for cold weather, 10 & 11 were 73 & 71 this year, i have to put my vacation in for 2015 in the middle of december...thanks again

nomad_archer
11-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Good luck mich. I would still be hunting at my cabin if pa archery didn't close when it did. In don't hunt bear much any more but when i did i saw lots of bucks moving. PA bear season opens today.