PDA

View Full Version : How late is too late?

Genesis 9:3
11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I've read lots of "how ____ is too ____?" but never this one.

I get off work at 4:30. I drive home, it's 4:50. I can't take my bow to work because of... well, I just cant. Anyway, I get to where I hunt and it's now 5pm at best. I change into my hunting clothes... it's 10 after. I get to my tree and attach my climber, get settled in and pull up my bow. At this point it's pushing the bottom of the hour... and sunset.

Is it worth it for me to try hunting after work? I can't leave early without taking vacation, and I can only do that in 4 hr increments... when 2 hrs would be perfect! I only have limited vacation time... what do I do?

Big_Holla
11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Any time in the tree is good time. That said though you may be bumping deer out as you move in, knowing they may already be on their feet. Perhaps you have a couple different stand sites you can use where one is more of a quick in and out and the others you save for the days you can put quality time in??

trperk
11-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I'd forgo the time needed to carry, set-up and climb a tree with a climber and set up some ground blinds.

mrbb
11-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree with both, any time is better than NO time in the woods , it for sure up's your odds
BUT it has to be the right area, or can do more harm than good
if your bumping deer going in, I'd try else where
I would also try to set up a few places that you can get in and out faster and NOT get busted
no point in teaching the deer your after them
Ladder stands are night and day faster in and out than a climber, same can be with a loc on/ground blind!

again, teaching deer your there is NOT going to help you
as I am guessing due to how your doing this hunting, your scent control isn't much either?
that can be as bad as getting seen going in and out
and just be making deer go nocturnal more IMO!