PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all, I'm a newbie to this site...

setool
11-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi to everyone.

I've been reading here for a while, and thought I'd jump into the frey. I've been Bow Huntin' since 1994. Been fortunate to kill (and retrieve) 21 deer over this time, but yet to kill a Pope. I have a Matitoba bear, couple of Quebec caribou, and a couple of Wyoming goats from the ol' string & stick also ( plus a poor ol' coon and coyote).

My #1 question today is : What's going on w/ the rut..... I hunt private land in Greene County. It has a large density of critter's (lots of does and young bucks, and several studs on camera). I have seen more scrape activity this year than ever. Thursday p.m. I saw a total of 11 does, 1 forker. Friday p.m., 14 does, 3 bucks including 1 that wouldn't come to the grunt, but sprinted to the can call. What's up with that ???

Sunday a.m., both my Son and I, nada, woods was dead. Same thing last night. My pea brain told me I would likely get trampled Sunday a.m. after all the Saturday wind, followed by cold front and virtually no wind......

So, anyone have a clue as to "What's Up".....

Thanks to all

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Setool, Sat. Morn.0 deer. Sun. saw a spike, 6pt, and a 8pt. all seemed to be cruising not chasing. also saw a large Doe with her little one. nothing chasing her. changed stands Sun. evening saw 0 deer. I think it is a matter of right place at the right time now. last year at the end of 1st week in Nov. I couldn't find a buck. talked to a hunter that same Sat. and he was looking for an 8pt. he hit across the Rd from where I was hunting. he said he saw a total of 5 different bucks chasing a doe before he hit the 8pt. He came back that Sun. but never could find the buck. So hang in there right place right time and it will happen.

setool
11-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Setool, Sat. Morn.0 deer. Sun. saw a spike, 6pt, and a 8pt. all seemed to be cruising not chasing. also saw a large Doe with her little one. nothing chasing her. changed stands Sun. evening saw 0 deer. I think it is a matter of right place at the right time now. last year at the end of 1st week in Nov. I couldn't find a buck. talked to a hunter that same Sat. and he was looking for an 8pt. he hit across the Rd from where I was hunting. he said he saw a total of 5 different bucks chasing a doe before he hit the 8pt. He came back that Sun. but never could find the buck. So hang in there right place right time and it will happen.

Thanks for the info... I need to tell myself what I preach to my Son, Nick... "PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER" !!!

Toke2
11-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the site. I thought this weekend was gonna be great, did see a lot moving Friday night, but Saturday and Sunday were extremely windy and think that may have been a factor? A friend shot a buck tonight - was sure he was on the scent of a doe that he kicked up while walking to his stand. Said he was in the stand less than an hour, when the buck came in following her exact route. I would guess the rut is not full on, but beginning. Probably a small % of does are "ripe". The next week should be fun. Wish I could be out there. Have to pay the bills..... Good luck!

00buck
11-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Welcome aboard.