PDA

View Full Version : I had a... bad good weekend (It's a novel)

Genesis 9:3
10-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Thursday the wife and kids left to go celebrate my mother in laws birthday... which means I spent every moment in the woods I could, making for a good weekend...

Friday night I was on a property I just got access to a year ago. It was my second time here and I had picked a new tree to shoot from. The night before I had cleared shooting lanes of all the saplings and Friday after work I went right to it with my climber and saw, slowly making my way up and taking off limbs (and the skin on my knuckles) on the way up. I had picked a nice beech tree, the kind you carve yours and you girlfriend initials on... lots of limbs to trim and some awfully smooth bark to take a climbing stand up by the way! But none the less, I got up high enough, about 20-25ft or so and got comfortable.

Pretty soon I had convinced myself I was stupid for hunting that spot and was wasting my time. However, with a half hour left of shooting light I saw some deer on the edge of the field... I grunted at them and they slowly made their way into the woods in my direction. To my surprise, they never looked up at me, wondering what it was up in the tree. Instead a nice doe finally made her way to my shooting lane and turned quarter to me.

I was excited, but under control. I had good form, with my trigger elbow tucked up behind my ear. I didn't jerk the trigger and my sights were just right. I sqeeeezed the trigger...

Naturally when you shoot a bow all the deer jump and scamper off, it's to be expected. I didn't expect them to all come back, but they did. Being in Hancock Co. I can take two deer... so I lined up my sights on another. I speculated that I missed the first by aiming too low, so I compensated on this one. Same as before, good form, heart rate was excited buy steady, sqeeeeeze the trigger...

Again, all the deer jumped and ran a little ways... but slowly came back. There were at least 6 or 8 of them... at one point a doe and her fawn made their way down the path I walked to get to my stand. I assume they were trying to figure out what that new scent was. There was even another doe that lined up for another perfect shot, but as it was Hancock Co. where I can only take two deer... well I figured I might have shot two already so I can't try for a third. Sure wish I had known then what I know now!

Once they all made their way off into the blackness, I got down, walked to my truck and drove in to where I thought I might have two deer waiting for me. I fired up my coleman lantern and found my first arrow...

Crap! No blood... well at least I didn't just wound it. Next arrow... "Come and get em, free haircuts!" No blood, a little meat and a few hairs... that was strange. I followed where I thought it went and found a blood trail... I followed the blood trail about 30 yds, and found where it looked like it laid down or stopped for a little bit. Beyond that, nothing but leaves and trees. I looked for another half hour but couldn't see any blood, tracks or trail.

I went home and shot my bow out of my bedroom window at the dimly lit target in the backyard... maybe 2-3 inches high at that angle... well at least my sights weren't off that much and I had a good group!

The next morning I went to another property and busted some more knuckles taking off limbs. A little before true sunrise I saw a few deer out in the field... again I called them in with a grunt and took aim at one, only 20yds out or so. Good posture, excited but controlled heart rhythm, sqeezed the trigger... I think for some reason I tried to compensate and aim higher... which made for 3 broad-heads that need new blades and nothing to show for it. I could have sworn I saw the arrow go into that deer... but I was wrong.

I went home again and shot at my target with the practice broadheads and a few now-dull real ones... still dead on...

Last night I had a 4pt come in... I drew on it and started thinking abut it... it was Sunday night, I had work in the morning... it was only a 4pt...

I'll be kicking myself all season long if I never get another shot at buck...

I have never seen so many deer in a weekend... nor have I ever missed so many in a weekend...

I had a good bad weekend. (Hopefully it wasn't too long... I didn't even talk about Saturday night!)

mrbb
10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
well misses happen
BUT if you know you hit the one, I think you should have gobne back the next day to look fsome more
if a deer only went a short distance and laid down, even without a lot of blood, that means it hurting
and could just be bleeding inside
a better search in day light is something all bow hunters should do, rather than just give up?
NOT bashing you, just saying, if it was me I would have gone back the next day and gave it a hard look, and even brought help if I had anyone to help
I have found many deer that didn't bleed much, but doing a grid search

best of luck and still a LOT of time left to fill your tags, hang in there, it will happen!

gonehunting 45
10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree with mrbb you have search till you find or your sure it didn't die. I've went back twice the next day and found both deer.
Not a bashing

mneal
10-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Are you sure you are not forgetting to use your peep when you get excited shooting at a living target. It happened to me on the first deer I ever flung an arrow at. I did not realize it until later... but will more than likely have you shooting right under them.

Big_Holla
10-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Hard to say what caused the misses. Others mentioned the need to go back and double check on the one you hit and I agree. I know you mentioned having proper form but did you bend at the waist to keep that form from your bow arm to your head and anchor? It sounds like some practice from your treestand is in order. Something to keep in mind too, beech trees are notorious for being hollow in the middle and often are the trees you see broken off half way up.

nomad_archer
10-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Like others have said you have to go back the next day and keep looking. I have had to help others look the day after. We have had mixed success but we have always found more blood the next day.

Not sure what is causing the misses. Are you sure of your yardage when you are shooting? Also what big_holla said beech trees are not the best idea in a climber due to hollow middles. Also I will use a climber on a tree with smooth or shaggy bark it is just asking for a tree ride which I like to avoid.

whodey1966
10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
I definitely would have went back and looked again. I'm not bashing you, but we as hunters, need to know that the shot that were going to take is going to be dead on and not be guessing on what we need to do to make sure were dead on.

MJH
10-27-2014, 11:29 PM
I would agree with others too! Either miss judged distance or something off when shooting from stand. Got a buddy who does same thing when he shoots at deer and it was his form! Keep arm and torso at a 90 and bend at waist! Get your form in line in tree then bend towards deer

10-28-2014, 12:40 PM
I might have been wrong not to come back in the morning, I can accept that. I will say that I have a good bit of confidence I did not kill it and here's why. When I initially found my arrow, all I saw was a few hairs imbedded in the tip... no blood (to me that's a huge sign, as every deer I've ever passed through left either bubbles on the veins/shaft for a lung shot or smeared blood for a gut shot). Later that evening as I was cleaning the broad head off, I realized there was a few pieces of meat smeared down the arrow. When I aimed high to compensate for shooting below the prior deer and, as arrows fly high when shooting down, I believe I took a small slice out of it's back. That night I did spend a good bit of time walking a grid with my Coleman lantern putting out plenty of light and found nothing past the 30yd point. There was a blood trail... so I certainly could be wrong.

On Saturday I did some elevated shooting and had no problems hitting the target. My limbs didn't hit my stand when I shot at the critters either. Thinking back I think I might have convinced myself I did everything right when I really aimed high on the last two deer to compensate for the first low shot. I also think I may have hit a limb on the first shot, pushing it low. The final thought is that there's a decent chance that as soon as I shot I pulled my head up to see where my arrow went, instead of following through with the shot.

In regard to the beech trees, I've seen that as well. Is the concern that it's going to fall on me/over with me on it, cave in while I'm climbing it? Maybe this topic should be a new thread...

Big_Holla
10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
In regard to the beech trees, I've seen that as well. Is the concern that it's going to fall on me/over with me on it, cave in while I'm climbing it? Maybe this topic should be a new thread...

Good question. The only thing I would do is be aware of it as you climb. If you notice rot where limbs used to be or holes into the tree in any way then it may be good to switch. Does every beech tree break off and fall over, no but thought I'd mention as that's the first thing I think of when looking at one to hang a stand. How hard was it to climb with that slick bark?

Toke2
10-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Have to admit I didn't know Beech Trees were hollow.... I think the biggest risk is that they are very smooth - I want to say that my summit climber owners manual actually warned against climbing smooth trees "...such as Beech trees...". Not worth the risk in my opinion.

mrbb
10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
I might have been wrong not to come back in the morning, I can accept that. I will say that I have a good bit of confidence I did not kill it and here's why. When I initially found my arrow, all I saw was a few hairs imbedded in the tip... no blood (to me that's a huge sign, as every deer I've ever passed through left either bubbles on the veins/shaft for a lung shot or smeared blood for a gut shot). Later that evening as I was cleaning the broad head off, I realized there was a few pieces of meat smeared down the arrow. When I aimed high to compensate for shooting below the prior deer and, as arrows fly high when shooting down, I believe I took a small slice out of it's back. That night I did spend a good bit of time walking a grid with my Coleman lantern putting out plenty of light and found nothing past the 30yd point. There was a blood trail... so I certainly could be wrong.

On Saturday I did some elevated shooting and had no problems hitting the target. My limbs didn't hit my stand when I shot at the critters either. Thinking back I think I might have convinced myself I did everything right when I really aimed high on the last two deer to compensate for the first low shot. I also think I may have hit a limb on the first shot, pushing it low. The final thought is that there's a decent chance that as soon as I shot I pulled my head up to see where my arrow went, instead of following through with the shot.

if you found a bloot trail you hit more than its hair on its back
a GUT shot arrow many times will NOT hold blood on the shaft, seen it dozens of times over the yrs
the FACT that deer only went so far and laid down, Meant it was HURT/hurting!
your would have been much better off that night backing out once you seen poor sign on the arrow, rather than push a wounded deer
as MAYBE if you had, that deer would have died where it rested after teh hit
these are learning things you get experience from both doing right and wrong, so I'm NOT bashing you

BUt it is the proper thing to do , to give it your all to recover a deer you shot
as again, you knew for a fact you hit it, had a blood trail, found where it laid down
all that should have said ? go look again in GOOD light
tracking a wounded deer in the dark is , a very HARD way to find a deer, all the more so on a poorly hit one/bad blood trail
Day light might have shown you a LOT of things the dark hid
every deer you shoot deserves the effort to find it! IMO!
I've spent weeks looking for a deer I have hit , hired a tracking dog and brought in a small army of friends
and some times we found them some times we didn't
but we made the effort!

whodey1966
10-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Here is a good link to check out.
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/bloodtrailing/

10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
MRBB,

You make a valid point. I should have gone back and looked for it. I guess it really never crossed my mind that I could have killed it when I was examining my arrow... I was convinced I only gave it a haircut and was quite surprised to see a blood trail! Next time I plan to follow through, with my shot and with tracking! Who knows, maybe I'll even bring one home...

In regard to the Beech tree... I've had a little trouble, but nothing to write home about. Honestly, I've had more trouble on other tree's that seemed like they shouldn't have been any problem! I will also add that if I'm using my harness and I'm strapped into my climber, sometimes it's really hard to find the right tree in the right location... in this case, I could pick another tree, but I don't know how much of the underbrush the landowner is cool with me clearing out and I don't want to push my luck too far!

The tree is in great shape. In my experience, growing up in the woods and venturing through other peoples properties over the years, a beech tree typically doesn't start to go downhill until it is damaged in some way first. They are typically also beyond a certain size/age. They make awesome firewood if you can get one that's not been damaged and started to rot out...

That said, they do rot from the inside out and if there were any sign of rot, fungus, or death on any part of the tree, I would be very concerned about climbing it! Aside from it coming crashing down, you don't know what might come climbing out of the top of that tree and meet you half way down :)

With my climber I always make sure the cable going around the back is high on the back side and it generally keeps me from slipping. Now if only I would have finished the siding on my house instead of missing deer this weekend I'd be in better shape... oh well, it was beautiful and had an awesome time just being surrounded by deer!

Whodey- I checked out that link... good information! Only problem is that my arrow doesn't really match any of their descriptions. I didn't find ANY blood on my arrow... just two hairs and some meat. Now from what I did read, it kind of confirms I had a back/meat shot. From memory the hair was lighter but black at the ends... which means... I don't really know. That page is getting printed out and going into my binder though, no doubt! My wife and I are considering writing some children's books revolving around learning life skills and hunting skills... that'd be awesome information to put in there!

whodey1966
10-31-2014, 06:16 AM
MRBB,

You make a valid point. I should have gone back and looked for it. I guess it really never crossed my mind that I could have killed it when I was examining my arrow... I was convinced I only gave it a haircut and was quite surprised to see a blood trail! Next time I plan to follow through, with my shot and with tracking! Who knows, maybe I'll even bring one home...

In regard to the Beech tree... I've had a little trouble, but nothing to write home about. Honestly, I've had more trouble on other tree's that seemed like they shouldn't have been any problem! I will also add that if I'm using my harness and I'm strapped into my climber, sometimes it's really hard to find the right tree in the right location... in this case, I could pick another tree, but I don't know how much of the underbrush the landowner is cool with me clearing out and I don't want to push my luck too far!

The tree is in great shape. In my experience, growing up in the woods and venturing through other peoples properties over the years, a beech tree typically doesn't start to go downhill until it is damaged in some way first. They are typically also beyond a certain size/age. They make awesome firewood if you can get one that's not been damaged and started to rot out...

That said, they do rot from the inside out and if there were any sign of rot, fungus, or death on any part of the tree, I would be very concerned about climbing it! Aside from it coming crashing down, you don't know what might come climbing out of the top of that tree and meet you half way down :)

With my climber I always make sure the cable going around the back is high on the back side and it generally keeps me from slipping. Now if only I would have finished the siding on my house instead of missing deer this weekend I'd be in better shape... oh well, it was beautiful and had an awesome time just being surrounded by deer!

Whodey- I checked out that link... good information! Only problem is that my arrow doesn't really match any of their descriptions. I didn't find ANY blood on my arrow... just two hairs and some meat. Now from what I did read, it kind of confirms I had a back/meat shot. From memory the hair was lighter but black at the ends... which means... I don't really know. That page is getting printed out and going into my binder though, no doubt! My wife and I are considering writing some children's books revolving around learning life skills and hunting skills... that'd be awesome information to put in there!
Hey Bub, stay at it! Good things will happen for you!! Best of luck!!

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
I agree on all suggestions here all good points. the only thing I can add just pretend you are at home shooting at the target. aim for the boiler room and don't second guess if a deer will duck your arrow as some say. a deer never ducks an arrow it is how he takes off by springing down with his legs to get going. a deer is smart but is not thinking I had better duck here comes an arrow at me. shoot for the vitals and let the deer decide what it will do. if it stands there during the shot good blood trail. if it does lower its body to take off possible spine shot and get ready for 2nd arrow to put it down. either way deer in the freezer.