PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stands

beambowhunters
10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
What is the best climbing tree stand to use? Any advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

mrbb
10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
the best anything is a loaded question IMO
that said, there are features on every climbing stand you have to look at, and then try and pick the one that fit s your needs best
I have owned a few over the yrs and tried a few guys at camps too
my last climber I have is a Lone wolf sit and climb stand
I personally found the factory seat, sucked, I replaced it with a seat from a summit, a MUCH softer seat for all day sits
a simple mod, but an extra costs
the lone wolf seat is lighter, to they can claim a ligher tree stand

next I had the standard climber /seat I found that in COLD weather when I am bundled up, it was a TIGHT in the stand , and why I gather they came out with the WIDE climber option they now have
I have had a few summits, both open and closed climber
I liked the stands, but I fould the Lone wolf to be better to fit more tree's and easier to pack and, after adding soem more foam padding to a few spots, and adding some camo paint to take away the solid Gray finish!
the lone wolf was to me a better stand overall
the Loggy bayou's climber I had was also like the sumit's
nice stands
better seat again than the lone wolf too
and had a shooting like rail on the climber top, great for rifle hunting, but some what in the way on bow hunts, but again came in handy when I switched to an X bow
once this stand was up a tree, I could sit all day and not feel like I sat up a tree all day!
but stand didn't pack as well as either to me!
all the above stand, I added better back pack straps, as all the factry straps SUCKED IMO!

so when picking ouyt a stand, I suggest you look at what they offer and pick the best options you like

a GREAT place to buy a stand if you ask me, is at the Harrisburg Sportsman show, here in harrisburg PA, every Feb
almost every tree stand company on the market is there , and you can try out the stands there before you buy
and when I say every stand maker, I mean even the small no one has heard of companys, trying to make it big
and they all have stands on sale at show prices, and last day of the show they sell demo's CHEAP
won't help you if you need a stand NOW< but something to think about!

last, weight of the stand, I have carried a lot on my back
a 19 lb stand, and a 26 lb stand, all get heavy after a mile or so, and its IMO splitting hairs at that point!
any stand in the 15-25 lb range is NOT a huge deal unless you carry a stand every day and walk for miles
yes every oz helps to be lighter, but ist NOT a huge deal maker or breaker to be honest!
weight of stands is like HP wars of truck makers
more hype than needs be!

zachc
10-20-2014, 07:15 PM
I had a summit and liked it a lot but I outgrew it and traded it in for a hub blind. But my dad has a Tree Walker climber he bought at the deer & turkey expo a few years back and I, we, absolutely love it. VERY comfortable, lightweight, very easy to set up and take down, and now they have all kinds of attachments. Would recommend one to anyone.

beambowhunters
10-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Thank you both so much for all of the information! It's very helpful! Also, I am a girl, if that matters. I know you mentioned the weight of the stand, which I hadn't even really considered yet. Do you think a climber will be something I can use successfully?

On a side note: I just shot my first deer with a compound bow this evening. Found her at less than 100 yards and it was a double lung shot. It was very exciting!

mrbb
10-21-2014, 12:32 AM
well being a boy or girl doesn't mean much in climbing stands
its your physical ability of what you can and cannot do, that will allow or not
my buddy's 100 lb girlfriend can carry in and set up and climb my loggy bayou stand and also did my sumit and lone wolf
as long as the hike in wasn't too far
she shoot a compound bow at 45 lbs and has killed several bucks
size of stand, like all things, is about fitting you to the stand
if your tiny, a smaller stand will do, if bigger, a bigger stand will be better
most all stands are weight rated in climber9as well as ladders and loc on's)
most are at about 250 lbs, then they sell bigger ones , some go as high as 350 lbs
and that is with all your gear and you
gear can add up faster than you think too
my pack and climber can be up to 70 lbs at times
thats carrying in most of my clothes, in my pack, to try not to break a sweat walking in Lol
but it all goes up the tree with me
so ?
again, why its nice to be able to try a stand out before buying
but if your in average health, almost all climbers you should be able to climb with, how far can you carry on your back??
depends on how strong your back is LOL
yrs ago, a 4 mile walk in didn't bother me
now I'm lazy
1/2 mile seems far these days1 haha

mrbb
10-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Oh congrats on the doe
well done
now get that big buck

zachc
10-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Thank you both so much for all of the information! It's very helpful! Also, I am a girl, if that matters. I know you mentioned the weight of the stand, which I hadn't even really considered yet. Do you think a climber will be something I can use successfully?

On a side note: I just shot my first deer with a compound bow this evening. Found her at less than 100 yards and it was a double lung shot. It was very exciting!

The weight of the stand is a huge factor when buying a climber. Whether you are walking 100 yards or a couple miles to your tree this will play a big roll. I really like using climbers due to the fact that you can set up in a variety of places. The only downfall I would say with them is you need a fairly straight tree with no lower branches as with a hang on stand and ladder sticks you can climb crooked trees and what not. But to answer your question yes I think you could be very successful using a climber, just make sure you try it out before you go out hunting with it. And as far as your bow kill, congrats and let's see the pics!

Genesis 9:3
10-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I have a cheap (~$200) stand from Dicks (Field and Stream Viper? Climbing Stand)... I got what I paid for. It's noisy, I struggle to find a comfortable position in it, it's loud... but I've shot 7 deer from it in the last 3 years. If you have the money to spare, go get a nice stand! I also think it's a great idea to go to a show where you can try it out first... I wish I had known more about what I was getting into when I bought my first stand... I would have done things differently.

Although my boys sure like playing on it!

Bushman
10-22-2014, 10:43 AM
I like my summit bushmaster. At 16 l bs it's tough to beat. Takes som getting used to with the seat section being not enclosed. Congrats on the doe!

mneal
10-22-2014, 11:01 AM
I have a tree walker... love it. Lightweight... sturdy...easy to climb... Mesh seat that is very comfortable...

beambowhunters
10-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Thank you, everyone for all of the advice. I'm still learning, so it's all much appreciated.

Genesis, your little boys are adorable! It won't be long and they will be hunting along with you I am sure. Well, I did end up getting a cheap Summit stand. It's the Viper SD Infinity. I filled it with Great Stuff foam filler and then wrapped it in soft cloth with the camo tape, so I am hoping it will won't be too bad. I will find out this evening.

The picture is of my daughter. This was her first time tracking a deer. Thankfully, the lighted nock worked perfectly because it had just stormed before I started tracking. It hadn't gone very far at all though.

Also, about 15-20 mins. before these four does came through, a very nice buck came into the woods from my left side. He was only about 5 yards right beside my stand, so I had no time to react as he was so close. He was at a fast walk though and went right in front of me and walked away stopping at 32 yards behind three small trees. It wasn't long though and he was walking off just as quickly as he had come in.

I was in shock because I've never had a big buck that close to me while hunting and also because I was never expecting to even see one. Even now, I still can't believe it. I think a more experienced hunter would be picking out a place for him on their wall. Should I have tried to stop him? How?

I realize now, he was coming into the woods down wind and making his way through to scent check the does that bed on the other side of the woods. At least that's what I think. Luckily though, he came into the woods right in front of me, so he didn't wind me. In fact, he didn't even notice me at all. He wasn't even looking around and seemed to have his mind on one thing only. Are the bucks right now still on a pattern?

mrbb
10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
well congrats again on the kill, the story and the enw stand
best of luck to you with it
Only think I might add is, lots of the camo tape they sell in stores is very shinny on a sunny day
and its why I always prefer the camo cloth tape, costs more but no real shine to it, also doesn't squeak when wet! a nice lus
But Summit makes a fine stand, just go slow and learn how it works
and wear a safety harness both climbng and once set up
MY worst fall came climbing down the tree witha climber once yrs ago
the base slipped off its bite about 8 ft from the ground, and slid fast straight down, and then stopped at about 3 ft from the ground
and I had then straps that held your feet in tights, well, the sudden stop was too much for me knee's and ankles and tipped me over the side of the stand
lets not forget when the platform drops out, your head goes face first right ibnto the tree! LOL
didn't break anything, got lucky!
but sure taught me to make suer every move is solid before going up or down a tree with a climber!
and that was on a very smooth bark'd tree
I now don't climb them types of tree at all !
But that was again yrs ago on a climber when ther were made out of angle iron, and didn't conform to tree so well LOL

be safe and best of luck getting that big buck!

Genesis 9:3
10-24-2014, 12:14 PM
My oldest (3yrs) cries every time I go hunting without him... which is always right now - life sure can be rough sometimes, but I try to explain it to him as best I can.

In regard to the buck... first, congrats on even seeing one! I've yet to see anything resembling a trophy buck (in comparison to the ones I've seen on here and elsewhere). So in that regard, seeing one is an accomplishment! I tried to find my post on the first deer I saw (must have gotten recycled?) to share how shook up I was just seeing a spike standing 10 yds out... but never the less, if you are like me, you wouldn't have been able to do anything because you were trying not to have a heart attack!

But if you are able to keep your whit, I've watched enough hunting shows, and tried it once or twice... let out a short "MERP" (mimicking a doe grunt) and it will stop that deer in it's tracks. Of course it will be looking for the noise and you might be busted, so make sure you draw back on the animal first! It would also be helpful to do it when you don't think it would stop in a bad spot to shoot.

Regardless of what I say about not regretting it, you'll be kicking yourself all season for not trying to take a shot... my wife tells me not to kick myself, but I think it's a coping mechanism :) However, nothing stinks worse than taking a risky shot at a buck, wounding it and not being able to retrieve it! Don't regret making good decisions. At least now you know the potential in your area! Be sure to post a pic when you harvest him!

PS - how did the expanding foam work on your stand? I tried it with mixed results...

gonehunting 45
10-25-2014, 09:28 AM
I have a summit viper. Great for climbing and the bar swings out of the way for bow hunting. 21 lbs I think. I have packed this stand in and out of public land for years. The problem with back backing your stand are the shoulder straps that come with it. Couple years ago I finally changed mine and what a difference it makes. I went with the military back packing straps and waist belt. Found them on e-bay. Best 18$ I every spent.

joel.a.bair
10-25-2014, 09:11 PM
I really like the Gorilla Greyback climber. The cable interlock is foolproof. I find it pretty easy to climb with and it feels secure whe in position and locked. Also, I found it extremely useful that it fits a wide variety tree sizes.

No, I do not work for gorilla.

Toke2
10-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Congrats on your on first Bow harvest. Last year I got two deer out of my SUMMIT climber. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. PLEASE climb safely and spend whatever it takes to buy a quality safety harness! I hunt with two old friends who refuse to wear them and hunt from ladder stands. We argue over it every year! My first goal of hunting is to get home to my family after the hunt! So I used my climber for the last 2-3 years, and this year, I dropped the cash for a millennium two-man ladder stand. It was not cheap but I was looking for a stand that I can take my boys up in with me ( 13 and 10 years old). Already had my oldest out with me and it was great. Didn't get a shot but saw a few... I have to say, I don't miss having to carry my 50lb climber in, and spending 20 minutes to get up the tree. The ladder is nice - quick and easy. As long as you are hunting solo, a climber is a great option, you might want to consider a ladder down the road too. All depends on where you hunt as well.
Best of luck finding that big buck.... My most memorable moment ever, while hunting, was a face to face encounter with a GIANT. I was on the ground packing up, after shooting light, he was spooked toward me by my hunting buddy also packing up, so all I could do was stare - he froze - I froze. Face to face at about 15yds for what was probably 8 seconds, but felt like an hour. That deer has haunted my dreams! My point....even a great buck encounter can be a mental trophy!

Tanner Henderson
10-27-2014, 09:37 PM
I have a lone wolf hand climber and a summit viper the summit is harder to get in but once in so comfy while the lone wolf a dream to get in, still comfy but not as comfy as my summit if u want to save some bucks on a lone wolf check out XOP they have the patents for lone wolf and can get a hand climber for around 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHBooner
10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
The best route to go is a lone wolf hang on with a set of their sticks. I have that and also the sit and climb. I end up using my sit and climb like once a year. It's a great stand but it's so nice to be able to hang a stand in any tree. I've even considered selling my lone wolf climber.

OHBooner
10-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I should have included - it takes about 10 minutes to set it up. The more time it takes is negligible compared to using a climber.

beambowhunters
11-03-2014, 04:30 AM
@mrbb- Good advice about the tape being shinny. I never even thought about that! I got some of the cloth tape and wrapped a single layer over the other tape. Glad to hear you were ok! There is a cord that connects the bottom of the stand to the top, so that if it does get away from me, it won't go too far...I hope!

@Genesis 9:3- I completely understand! My four year old is always asking to come along hunting, but I've promised to take her during gun season as we have three blinds set up and that seems to meet her approval. Yes, you're so right, seeing one is an accomplishment and I try to keep that in mind. At least now, I hope to have all my jitters out, so that next time I will be ready! It's also taught me the importance of judging the mood of the deer and how each encounter is different. If the next buck I encounter is as preoccupied, I will draw back, stopping him as you suggested, regardless of his distance. The caulking, in my opinion, worked great! The climber doesn't make a sound as I climb. I am very happy with it so far!

@gonehunting 45- Thanks for the advice about the straps! I am definitely getting some military back packing straps because it really hurts my shoulders. The bar doesn't swing away, but it isn't in my way when I stand either.

@Toke2- Yes, I have a Big Game Platinum safety harness that I use in every stand. I only hunt on private land. I have around 12 stands altogether, which includes ladders, double tree stands and a few hang ons. Most of them have been "inherited" by people who, I am assuming, were confused about property lines. I was just recently asked if I wanted to hunt one of the properties my husband farms, so I decided a climber would be the best way to scout. I love what you said about a mental trophy, that is very true. Some of my most favorite hunts, I haven't shot a thing! I've taken two decent bucks, but both with a gun at over 100 yards. There is something about having a buck so close that can't be matched, it's amazing! I am sure that's a blast hunting in the tree stand with your kids. I can't wait to take mine when they are older. Did they sit still the entire time and not get bored?

blackbeard
11-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Lone Wolf, hands down.