PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 Rut activity

00buck
10-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Haven't seen any chasing as of yet
Anyone else see any rutting activity if so list where you are from please

Wolfe
10-10-2014, 02:45 PM
I have sat in my stand Sun, Mon, Tue, & Thurs this week and had multiple does and little bucks out at the same time but they are basically ignoring each other. I don't think any rut activity has begun in the Delaware Co. area. I thought maybe with the colder evenings and that full moon there would have been some early action but I haven't seen it.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-11-2014, 03:36 AM
As of last weekend in Ashtabula Co. no rut activity to report. deer seem to be in a bulking up period and no surprise to me. I would be looking for food sources and leave the rut go until about Oct. 31. I will be making mock scrapes this weekend.

ManOfTheFall
10-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I have seen a couple scrapes. Other than that just normal activity.

rjonath
10-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm in Geauga county and I have some rubs and scrapes and have seen some smaller bucks locking their horns but nothing else.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I found one small scrape going to one of my stands here in Ashtabula Co. I made 3 mock scrapes at my 3 stands. I will see what happens. waiting for Oct. 31st to come.

chasintail
10-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Nothing in Allen county saw a little buck at dark come into the beans and feed and kept looking back in the corn but nothing showed. I think after this front this week pushes through mite start seeing more scrapes and rubs.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-13-2014, 05:27 AM
Went out Sat. and Sun. morning during muzzle loader season with my bow. I made 3 mock scrapes on Sat. 2 were hit by bucks with in 24 hrs. tried to put video on here of buck tending my scrape at my stand on Sun. but it said it was too long about 5 min. so I guess maybe some bucks are interested already. I am waiting for about Oct 31 that is always my target date.

Genesis 9:3
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
I've seen multiple scrapes and one rub... I have yet to see a deer this season though...

MJH
10-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Went out Sat. and Sun. morning during muzzle loader season with my bow. I made 3 mock scrapes on Sat. 2 were hit by bucks with in 24 hrs. tried to put video on here of buck tending my scrape at my stand on Sun. but it said it was too long about 5 min. so I guess maybe some bucks are interested already. I am waiting for about Oct 31 that is always my target date.

Did you make mock scrapes with a dripper? I'm gonna hang a couple this week also!

Thanks
Mike

jlane
10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
started see rubs the first week of the season, several scrapes also, rubs from the size of golf balls to this one the size of a quart jar 40 yds from my stand, have not been back in there, waitint for the first of nov.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Mjh, no I did not use a dripper I used Hall's lure I bought on e-bay it was a kit with about 5 bottles of lure with different gland lure. 2 were for in the scrape and 2 to put on the over hanging limb. one bottle had doe in estrus in it which I did not use now but, put in refrig. to keep fresh. I also used Tinks power scrape in scrape and Smokey's gland lure on licking stick. I made a video Sun. at the stand I was in of a 6pt. coming in and refreshing my mock scrape and, a 10 sec. video on another camera of a bigger 8pt doing the same thing both using the scrape and licking and chewing the licking branch. I know it is early but both deer seemed interested.

MJH
10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I've often considered trying the Smokeys lure just never ordered any. So it works pretty well?

Mike

ohioClassic
10-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I saw a rub and a scrape in Lake County on Monday in addition to a small buck trailing a group of does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-16-2014, 07:24 AM
MJH, I would have to say no complaints about Smokeys lure from me so far but, I did use a combination of Smokeys, Tinks, and Hall's lures for my mock scrapes. I am going back out Sat. morning and will see what happened after I left last Sun. I will pull sd cards on cameras also and freshen the scrapes on Sat. morning after I hunt.

gonehunting 45
10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Was out last Monday found several scrapes in two different areas. Was a young buck, scrapes were very small.
Way to early for rutting. No matter how bad the boys want the party to start the girls say when it does. Same time every year give or take a few days.

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Yeah, I agree gonehunting 45 the does control the time when the rut will come. my target date is Oct 31 on. I was coming back from Ohio yesterday about 11:00am and 3 guys were taking pics of a buck on a lawn. All I saw was horns going by. I had to turn around and stop and talked to the guys. the hunter said he shot the deer on Sat. in Girard Pa a 13pt, 8 on one side 5 on the other. great mass and the neck looked like he was all ready in full rut. still Oct 31 and on for me.

PSEhunter
10-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Had our second biggest buck on cam in daylight for the 3rd time Saturday morning.. Showed up on cam on south end of property about 7:45.. at 8:30 he was on other end (only about 25 acres total of land) in front of two of my other cams.. Also had a decent 8 on a few cams throughout the day..Not sure if it was just a one day fluke and they'll remain hidden another week or so, if it "its time" to start being in woods constantly.. last handful of years earliest daytime sightings of 2-3 mature bucks a day don't start until Oct. 24ish..

zachc
10-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Had our second biggest buck on cam in daylight for the 3rd time Saturday morning.. Showed up on cam on south end of property about 7:45.. at 8:30 he was on other end (only about 25 acres total of land) in front of two of my other cams.. Also had a decent 8 on a few cams throughout the day..Not sure if it was just a one day fluke and they'll remain hidden another week or so, if it "its time" to start being in woods constantly.. last handful of years earliest daytime sightings of 2-3 mature bucks a day don't start until Oct. 24ish..

Let's see the pics, lol...

PSEhunter
10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
lolol okay??.. Here are two pics of him a few days this past week, followed by one of him at each cam, 45 mins apart Saturday morning.. Bucks were cruising.. So, "heres the pics" cap'n zach10739107401074110742...

Genesis 9:3
10-20-2014, 11:59 AM
As I said elsewhere, my first sighting of the year included two does, one with a fawn, and a buck that ran them off and didn't give me a shot at any of them... how rude!

00buck
10-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Any one been seeing any action

Mikebaker
10-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Went out this morning. Seen 17 deer. 7 were bucks and all came in grunting and chased a doe around when they could. It's getting close!!!

zachc
10-24-2014, 11:34 PM
You're a lucky guy mike, lol. I sat for a couple hours this morning and saw nothing.

gonehunting 45
10-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Out scouting a new area today. Found several fresh scrapes through out the area. Found a doe bedding area also. Found 1 tree I can get my climber in at the beginning of the funnel. To keep from being skylined I can only go up about 10 ft. Bumped deer while I was heading out of the woods. They were up and moving today.
Rut is slowly getting ready. I will start setting all day this coming weekend.
Good luck all

BUCKHUNTER30-06
10-26-2014, 08:33 PM
As I stated in warmer temp post saw a 6pt. with a doe going in to stand along fence line to the pasture. when in my swamp stand about 5:45pm had a doe walk out of thicket behind me. she waded in belly deep water. turned around and saw a shooter 8pt. behind her. all branches behind me in tree and on the ground. just couldn't find any shooting hole to take a shot. went out this morning tree swaying back and forth with the wind no deer. I did some trimming behind my stand. 1st time in this stand was saving for the rut. should get interesting this week end.

SLIDER0906
10-28-2014, 02:30 AM
I was out all day Sunday. Was suprised to see two different small bucks in the morning chasing does pretty hard. But then on the other hand i hunted the evening 30 miles away and had a nice 8 come trough an hour before dark and he was only interested in eating acorns... Either way shouldnt be long before it fires up!

meatseeker89
10-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Rattled in a 6 point on Sunday around 10:15am. (Licking county)He was the only deer I saw all day. Noticed the first scrape I've seen in my area exiting the stand. I would assume with the temps dropping into the 20s Friday and Saturday that they will be very active.

mneal
10-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Was lucky enough to hunt morning and evening yesterday... thinking I would see some chasing. Never saw a deer until after I walked out to the truck last night at dark. I rattled...grunted... and had two nice long sits. I usually don't go without seeing any deer during a sit more than once or twice a season, so I was pretty shocked. However, it was 77 here in Muskingum County yesterday... it only got down to 63 overnight. I have only seen one rub so far. I am thinking it will be on after this rain and cold front appear tomorrow. They are talking high winds and temps in the 20's. It will be early November in a few days so I have to believe the action is going to pick up fast. My wife is leaving town for the weekend with younger kids... so I will be spending a lot of quality time in the Ol' Tree Walker between now and Monday. Best of luck to all of you on the forum as we enter the time of year we have all been awaiting.

mrbb
10-28-2014, 05:30 PM
I was at the farm today, removing some more stands
and seen a nice buck dogging a doe back and forth thru my old food plots
he didn'
t care I was there at all, and she was runnng for dear life it seemed LOL
found some HUGE rubs ans scrapes too, all over the woods, just torn up
looks like its the time to be up a tree guys!

smokin_aces
10-29-2014, 08:20 PM
found a small rub line back behind dads and decided to throw a camera on it. and this is what i got in return . a decent looking 9. hopefully he hangs around another 2 years. i moved the camera today closer to my stand on a very fresh scrape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXNdjzGQGs&feature=youtu.be

MICH
11-02-2014, 01:04 PM
there is 4 buddies of mine west of lucasville & the last 2 days have been very slow...up here in michigan near grand rapids its rolling, 5 bucks this a.m......a 10 was chasing a doe all around us from 8 to 915, when we were leaving there was a huge 11 standing over a bedded doe in the middle of a 35 ac bean field.......last night there was big 8 out checking/chasing doe's at 445....its going good

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Sun. 11/02/14 saw 3 bucks cruising, a spike,6pt and a small 8pt. also a big doe and her little one so she wasn't in Estrous yet. they are cruising here in Ashtabula Co. Ohio but not actually chasing yet. I would say this weekend should be seeing bucks chasing doe's.

00buck
11-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Saturday evening saw a nice 8 chasing a doe activity has picked up a bunch compared to last weekend it is only going to get better

Wolfe
11-03-2014, 08:31 AM
(Delaware Co.) Last night (Sun) I got in my stand at about 330pm. I had little activity until about 530pm and then the woods blew up. I got out the grunt call because I was getting frustrated and called in a buck. Definately should have started grunting earlier because once that buck came in it was on. Soon enough another buck was in my area fighting the first buck. In the meantime about 6 doe came cruzing in. Once the bucks stopped fight they split and started chasing the doe like crazy. Sounded like they were going to knock down the trees. Of course this whole time they are staying in the high brush and not giving me any shots. Then nearing 6pm a huge bodied buck walks out broadside infront of me at 20 yards. By this time it was so dark in the woods I couldn't fully make out how old or how big his rack was so I passed. It was a tough decision but I have been seeing some really nice shooters and then big young bucks so that made me think twice.

I am thinking about taking this Tuesday off to hunt in the evening but it says it is going to be in the upper 50's. Will those higher temps slow down the activity?

PSEhunter
11-03-2014, 09:26 AM
I live on the WV, OHIO border, and have access to farms in both.. In WV Friday night I saw two small bucks (a 6 I have on camera and I believe a new 5 point) cruise through.. I went back into that same spot Saturday morning and it was electric the first hour after daylight, four bucks, including the 8 I have on cam I want (only about 115 but that's a trophy in WV :).. anyways, couldn't get a shot at him as he stayed down below at about 56-60 yards the whole time.. As I was walking out of woods I noticed two new scrapes about 80 yards from tree I climb.. Sunday I went up to Ohio (Nelsonville) and hunted all day. Saw 6 deer in morning sit, 5 doe and a 4 point, and in evening saw nada, zilch, nothing.. Thus, spot in WV seems rutting action was hot and heavy, yet in Ohio it seems its still a week or so away from being prime time? Two weeks ago I posted that we had bucks cruising during daylight hours (posted pics because Zach requested) but since then its been few and far between.. Any input from hunters in Central or Eastern Ohio? Rutting activity still seem to be a few days away?

BUCKHUNTER30-06
11-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Wolfe, I was thinking the same thing maybe taking off on Wed. this week but remembered I off next Tue. Veterans Day so I am taking the Mon. before so I will have this Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue off. I should be able to put something on the ground by the. I shot one of my biggest Ohio bucks 4yrs ago to the day on 11/03/10,. he was cruising and came in to my mock scrape. I it when they are in a pre-rut like they seem to be doing now. once the rut starts it is hard to get them to stop and they end up in lock up with a doe. here is the buck of 4yrs ago my profile.

Wolfe
11-04-2014, 10:23 AM
That is an amazing deer! Hope he is hanging with pride on a wall in your house.

I ended up taking off on Friday because the temps are supposed to dip again. Last night I was sitting in my living room and saw 3 doe in my backyard. Soon enough out popped the big bodied deer I saw Sunday night that I couldn't make out. He is a young 6 pointer. Glad I didn't shoot him Sunday because he could be a monster next year. Anyway, he chased the doe off and I got my grunt call out and hit it a few times through the bedroom window. A few second later he came charging out of the woods lookng around like a crazed animal. Stomping and snorting. I let him og on his way and in a few minutes I heard him hammering on another buck in the woods. Hoping it was something bigger.

Wolfe, I was thinking the same thing maybe taking off on Wed. this week but remembered I off next Tue. Veterans Day so I am taking the Mon. before so I will have this Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue off. I should be able to put something on the ground by the. I shot one of my biggest Ohio bucks 4yrs ago to the day on 11/03/10,. he was cruising and came in to my mock scrape. I it when they are in a pre-rut like they seem to be doing now. once the rut starts it is hard to get them to stop and they end up in lock up with a doe. here is the buck of 4yrs ago my profile.

whodey1966
11-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Hunted last night, with very high winds and temps near 70, spotted my first shooter buck of the season, he stood in the middle of a picked bean field for about 5 mins, too far for a shot, on my way to work this morning saw a mature buck that almost ran out in front of me! I believe the big ones are really on the move now!

heelbilly
11-05-2014, 10:54 AM
I hunted yesterday morning and didn't see/hear any activity. I had a small fork horn come in at daylight, but that was it. Last night as I was driving home from running errands, a nice buck crossed the road in front of my with his nose to the ground. I work thru Saturday and then it's 3 days of solid hunting. Hopefully it's not too late by then.

aweave8
11-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Frequent lurker here, and just wanted to post some activity I've seen lately in Central Ohio. On Monday at 8 AM while standing in my driveway, I saw a very nice buck (might be the one on my game cam from my back yard; photos attached), chasing a doe across the road from my house. Tuesday morning around 8:30 AM, had a smaller buck run in front of my car nearby on my road. I haven't been in the treestand much (can't hunt my property and that monster buck), but I've seen a lot more deer sightings during normal daily activities. Good luck!

Outside
11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Deer are moving in early morning, in Morrow County.

mrbb
11-05-2014, 05:24 PM
well drove past my local chemical company, they have a fenced in area of about 35 acre's and a group of deer live inside the fence,
always a big buck or two inside(locals are always cuttig holes in teh fence trying to get them out LOL)
you can almost always see them in there as its mostly field, kinda feel bad for the deer, not much food or cover really, just crappy hay!, and , again , its a chemical company, they make chemicals, so run off I guess is iffy at best! for water??

well today at 1 pm, drive by, and a very nice 140's class 8 pointer was standing with about 8 doe, and walking about them like he was king of the herd, forgot my camera?

I pulled over and watched him for about 15 minutes
he never tried to mount any, or really smell them over, just stood over them.

so the rut up here I don't think is ON< but its NOT far off either!