PDA

View Full Version : Refletching arrows?

zachc
08-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Anyone refletch their own arrows? I have a few arrows that just need new fletchings and I was going to buy some new arrows but I got to thinking...the arrows are still good, why not just refletch them myself. Been shopping around for a fletching jig but not 100% on what i'm looking for. I watched a couple videos on how to do it and it seems easy but I thought I would see if anyone has any good/bad comments, also suggestions on a jig. Oh yeah and how does it compare as far as price of buying new, having someone refletch for you, or fletching yourself.

buckstalker17
08-24-2014, 10:53 PM
You can go 2 routes you can buy the speed fleching that you slide on your arrows and dip them in boiling water takes about 2 min to do a dozen or buy the jig bohening sells a nice one for about 40 bucks either way is way cheaper than buying new arrows because of fleching

zachc
08-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah I've kinda liked at the wrap style but a lot of reviews were kind of iffy as far as durability. Anyone shoot those...

buckstalker17
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
What a lot of people fail to realize or even notice that most arrows put on the market are the same wraps aka speed fleching most production arrows use wraps with the vanes allready attached but with the after market you get a Bette helixcoil than the factory which In turn will give you a tighter groups. But I've used them plenty of times never go out without a couple. But you can get the same result with fleching your own but if you don't get it rite you will know pretty fast

zachc
08-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Well I hope fletching my own works it cuz I just bought a jig (and accessories) on Ebay for about $30. So I'll be trying it out in a few days, lol.

buckstalker17
08-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Did you get the straight or the helixcoil

nomad_archer
08-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Your jig should be adjustable. I shoot blazers and use a roughly 2 degree off set on my fetching. The 2 degree offset is not nearly as extreme as a helical fetching. Helical does not work very well with blazers since they are so short and stiff.

buckstalker17
08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Your jig should be adjustable. I shoot blazers and use a roughly 2 degree off set on my fetching. The 2 degree offset is not nearly as extreme as a helical fetching. Helical does not work very well with blazers since they are so short and stiff.

I agree and disagree for most hunting yea 2or 3 deg would work just fine. It's something he can play with since he has a jig. But I've seen field archers go as extreme as 5 deg with blazers but I use the helical on all my arrows with blazers and the shoot and group great so it's all open to interpretation what doesn't work great for one works awesome for someone else. It's something you just gotta play with. Good luck

nomad_archer
08-26-2014, 12:07 PM
This is true. Blazer recommends 2 degrees of offset or at least they did when I setup my jig. Typically though my accuracy issues are related more towards the guy behind the bow then from the arrow fetching. Great thing is once you start doing your own arrows you can try whatever you would like and see how it works. We both have different ideas on what works for us. Which is great that we can have those options.

buckstalker17
08-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Your rt about that there's about a 1000 ways to get the same result b

Strother23
08-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes many different ways to reflech arrows and many different preferences. If you don't want buy all the supplies and jig. Most bow shops will reflech them cheap also. Learning to reflech is a good skill to learn though.

zachc
08-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Sounds like I'll be playing around a lil bit to figure out what I like/works best. And definitely will be a good skill to know, considering I shoot, my wife shoots, and we have 3 (soon 4) lil ones already hooked on hunting. Our oldest will be 5 in Oct and we bought her her first compound. A Diamond Atomic, adjusts from 6-29 lbs and 12-24" draw length. Can't wait to see her face when she opens it up, her and our 3 year old walk around the house pretending to draw back and shoot different things, lol, I love it!

Scott07/OH
09-23-2014, 01:17 AM
I've been fletching my own arrows for years. Its neat to add whatever wraps you like and your own vane preference. I found that a 4in feather shoots very well out of my bow. For my hunting arrows, I put as much offset that I can on the jig to get that arrow spinning. Too much offset and the vane won't sit and glue right to the shaft. Also, I found that when you insert the vane into the clamp, leave about a quarter inch space between the clamp and the trough of the arrow (where you lay the glue). This gets the vane seated better when you attach to the shaft.

Scott07/OH
09-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Here's a few that I just made up. Also, add a drop of glue to the end of the vane that is closest to the insert side. This protects the vane when you shoot it up to your fletchings in a target. Hope this helps!

zachc
09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Well so far I can't complain to much, I've fletched about 10 arrows and they've held out pretty good...knock on wood. Had a few fletchings come loose/off but nothing to crazy. I have found out that on some of them I've had to add a couple extra drops of glue.

Big_Holla
09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Make sure after you fletch your arrows that you put a dab of glue on the front and rear of the fletching. That extra glue helps keep those vanes from stripping off if they get a little too deep into your target, etc..

Weasel
09-29-2014, 07:55 PM
VERY easy to do yourself, don't buy new shafts if they are in good condition. I've been using an Arizona E-Z fletch jig for over 15 years with great results. The Bohning fletch tape is a God send and finish them off with a dab of Duco cement on the ends for extra security.

00buck
09-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Well how much do you save cutting and fletching your own arrows

Genesis 9:3
12-12-2014, 12:22 PM
I know it's an old thread... but my biggest problem so far is not loosing my arrows! I don't think I've ever shot one enough that the vanes come loose...

Onebigdude
11-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm a big fan of the Arizona EZ fletch mini. Been doing my own arrows for the last couple years. Works great with blazer vanes