PDA

View Full Version : Cull from the Herd... or Freak Nasty

mneal
08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
I have been getting differing opinions on a buck that is all over every trail camera on my 80 acre property. The majority so far say kill this deer before he breeds.... but something inside says he might turn into one heck of a unique rack in another year or two. I will post a pic from this year... and what I believe is the same buck last year. I believe him to be a 2.5 year old based on last years pic and his physical features. I have a nine year old looking for his first bow kill... and he has already told me he does not want this rack hanging on the wall. One thing to consider... the amount of growth in one year is significant! if that happens again... lookout!

mrbb
08-21-2014, 10:09 AM
If it was me, i would let him live and just wait and see what he turns into, as he will always be an easy deer to tell apart, his deal could be from an injury too, so might not pass that on to any breeding he might due
over the past 16 yrs where i was hunting every yr I had a buck with one side growing in strange ways, that I think is genetic's at play
but for the most part, the odd antlers bever cause injury to the deer, so to me, it was kinda cool seeing different bucks shapes of antlers they grew
and many times there were even bucks darn close I had confused with being the same freak ,
yet was just a twin of sorts
so to me, unless its a buck YOU want, I say let it live

zachc
08-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I agree, in my opinion I would let him walk. If that's the same deer in both pics who knows what he's going to be in another year or 2. I'm a big fan of freak nasty racks! If he's comfortable on your property and feels safe, in another couple years you might have a "life changer" on your hands. Maybe put you in the magazines, lol. In one year his right side goes from a little to a lot, oh yeah! But anyways keep posting pics of him...

mneal
08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
10639I can do pictures of him... he really likes the TSC Mineral Licks because he never fails to hit every trail camera site each time I pull the cards. Here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure. While we are at it? How many points would you say he has right now?

City_buck
08-21-2014, 02:57 PM
I agree. I would let him live at least another year to see how crazy that rack can get. Definitely an interesting buck to have on the property!

Big_Holla
08-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Heck yeah, I love funk like that on a buck!! I'd let him grow another year if you think he will survive!! Pretty dang cool!

mrbb
08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
here is one growing something like your's
just got the pic today while checking cam's

he is a very young buck too, maybe 2 yrs old or so
I see a bunch of racks like this any more, up my way
sadly few make it to be old, or shoudl I say past 3 yrs old, so never know what they might end up as!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/664_zps3524d3d6.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/664_zps3524d3d6.jpg.html)

mneal
09-16-2014, 08:37 AM
10672Updated picture of buck... kind of a dissappointing trail cam year as I have yet to have a shooter on camera... Hoping they show up at rut... plenty of does on camera.

00buck
09-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Smoke city let it fly not sure on age but I like it