PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS THE YEAR!

Lockhart52
06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm a fishermen; however, I have always wanted to hunt as well. Every year I say this will be the year I will become a hunter. I normally ask my friends from my bass club to show me the ropes, but for a number of reasons it has not worked out. (mainly because of my previous work hours) But, THIS IS THE YEAR. I want to learn as much as I can before the season starts. I have Any books, dvds, or any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Archery
Live in the Akron area.
will be hunting public land (with the exception of a day or two, when I will have access to private land)

mrbb
06-26-2014, 10:49 PM
well best of luck to you
best advice I can say, is start scouting NOW
and hunt the early season
bucks will be easier and or on pattern, and theer will be LOT less huntingpressure in the first few days/weeks of the season, than later on, come closer to mid late oct
when public lands can get pressured
I'd suggest you contact your hunting area's game warden, and pick there brain for any inside tips on area's to try
they know what farmers/land owners have deer problems
and can some times help direct you to good deer rich area's and or even some times to folks that let nice hunters who ask before season, permission to hunt/access private lands
and 110% NOW is the time to start shooting, maybe more so if its a bow, but even guns , practice practice practice
is what will help you in hunting!
be safe ,have fun
and good luck

Lockhart52
06-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I want to go scouting but kinda-off difficult, as I not really clear on what i should be looking for.

I plan on getting a crossbow asap. I don't think I would be good enough, by that fall, If I bought a compound bow.

OHPA
06-27-2014, 06:29 AM
I suggest checking online for articles relating to scouting for whitetails in the Midwest on the kind of land you are hunting. Farm country, big woods, etc.

00buck
06-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Talk to game warden and local check stations

Nis
07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
What public hunting ground are you planning to hunt? I live in the Akron area too and it's hard because there aren't a lot of quality ground around here.

mrbb
07-08-2014, 04:31 PM
What public hunting ground are you planning to hunt? I live in the Akron area too and it's hard because there aren't a lot of quality ground around here.

Not to pic on you here, BUT if you go on an open forum and tell folks where you will be hunting , on public lands, you are opening the door to that place getting a lot more crowded , due to a lot of readers are lazy hunters and like to use info off others for free
meaning, you go and find a nice spot, do the work to find it, and others take that info and take advantage of your labor
making a good spot go bad, faster LOL

Nis
07-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Not to pic on you here, BUT if you go on an open forum and tell folks where you will be hunting , on public lands, you are opening the door to that place getting a lot more crowded , due to a lot of readers are lazy hunters and like to use info off others for free
meaning, you go and find a nice spot, do the work to find it, and others take that info and take advantage of your labor
making a good spot go bad, faster LOL

I have a beautiful piece of private land to hunt. I'm not a spot stealer by any means. I was just wondering if the guy was heading south to do his hunting or staying north. I like to think bow hunters are more respectful and less lazy than you make them sound. I've done my research, I don't need to move in on a new hunter and make his public hunting experience more of a pain than it already will be.

mrbb
07-08-2014, 10:49 PM
wasn't trying to be offensive
or call out anyone
I was just saying
that if someone posted about a great public spot, odds are it would be ruined fast
and last, i sadly hate to say, but up my way, bow hunters are far worse than gun hunters on the respect side of things
here many seem to think that cause there is no rifle shot with a bow, they can sneak into more places
i get tons more bow hunters trespassing every yr than I do rilfe hunters
and know tons of land owners with same issues up here
and NOT saying all bow hunters are like this
just saying what I deal with in my area and my experience's
a lot harder to hide a rifle shot, and in gun season you also have to wear blaze orange
camo seems to also help the bad apple think they can sneak about with a quiet weapon

Weasel
07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Toke2
08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Congratulations! If this year is truly THE year, it will most likely be the first of MANY. I started 5 years ago, and became hooked immediately. Started with a shotgun, then crossbow, and now compound. Crossbow is a great place to start. Not one for recommending "my brand" over another, but I went with a Wicked Ridge crossbow because I found out that their HQ (10pt Archery) is close by in Suffield ( I am also from near Akron) and I felt like if I ever had an issue, I could walk it in. Never have had one - my 13 year old now has inherited it. Not much land up here, so we go to Belmont county because my family has a cabin there - makes a nice camp and they have a lot of deer. As for learning - I have learned a great deal from this forum ( and others), but I will say ( and I know I will take some heat for it ) I have learned the most from watching hunting shows on OUTDOOR Channel. Many hunters complain that they hunt private honey holes and it's not "real" hunting. This is partially true. I hunt public land, and have to work much harder than the made for TV hunts depict, but I have learned a ton nonetheless. This time of year it's mostly hunting shows. I tivo about 4-5 of my favorites and watch them on the weekends. I also subscribe to a couple of magazines ( great source too) but I just gave my "library" to a neighbor who is also learning. Nothing beats a friend who can teach you how to scout... how to hunt the wind... etc... Like anything you will learn more and more each year. I am still very much a student, but got my first two deer down last year! Still have meat in the freezer. Best of luck to you and welcome to the best "fraternity" out there!