PDA

View Full Version : urban hunting

bgriff008
06-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I have a friend that just move into Woodland Hall developement in Delaware ohio. His property is 3-4 acres with a wooded backyard. How do I find out if I can hunt in his backyard during bow season? He says they have so many deer that anything they plant in the back yard gets eaten. I was also wondering if he can file with the ODNR, deer damage to his landscaping and be granted approval to hunt. His closest neighbors are a 100 yards away, since the lots next to his house have yet to be sold. It still has a lot of lots for sale.

mrbb
06-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Best suggestion , call the game warden in that area, and ask them the rules on hunting in that area
I would also contact your friends neighbors too, to ask about either hunting or just access to recover a deer if it runs off and dies on there side
as other wise it would be a lost deer, as its illegal to trespass even to recover a deer
asking WAY in advance would give you an idea of if its worth the hassle or not maybe
and I don't think there is such a thing as landscape deer damage
they only offer crop damage, due to it effects a farmers life/income!
landscape is an optional thing for land owners
you live where there are deer, you roll the dice Lol

bgriff008
06-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Best suggestion , call the game warden in that area, and ask them the rules on hunting in that area
I would also contact your friends neighbors too, to ask about either hunting or just access to recover a deer if it runs off and dies on there side
as other wise it would be a lost deer, as its illegal to trespass even to recover a deer
asking WAY in advance would give you an idea of if its worth the hassle or not maybe
and I don't think there is such a thing as landscape deer damage
they only offer crop damage, due to it effects a farmers life/income!
landscape is an optional thing for land owners
you live where there are deer, you roll the dice Lol
Good to know. I knew I would need neighbor permission to retrieve a deer, but asking in advance would be a good idea. My buddy did mention something about the home association and maybe clearing it with them, but I dont know how much influence they have on hunting regs. And yes I will call the game warden. Thanks for the advice.

mrbb
06-17-2014, 10:25 AM
The home owners association will have ZERO to do with game rules
all they can do is either agree you can hunt there LeGALLY , by following what ever state rules
or be a bunch of privks and NOt allow hunting in there development
if the development is owned by onw large company, they LEGALLY can NOT allow hunting, even if your buddy owns the land and he says Ok
if he lives in a development, most have contracts signed before buying said lands, that can state no hunting allowed
and those were the terms before the sale
I have a private development near me, 1500 plus acres
800 plus homes, and on the whole property, NO hunting is LEGALLY
allowed
lots of cheaters in there ; but they gamble getting caught
and the fines the development owner can drop on them is high
Sadly, he turns a blind eye on his own rules, due to so much property damage by deer
but again, just cause your buddy says its OK to hunt, it might still NOT be
then next would be the game laws of the state/area
just make sure your legal

bgriff008
06-17-2014, 12:10 PM
all they can do is either agree you can hunt there LeGALLY , by following what ever state rules
if the development is owned by onw large company, they LEGALLY can NOT allow hunting, even if your buddy owns the land and he says Ok
if he lives in a development, most have contracts signed before buying said lands, that can state no hunting allowed
allowed
Sadly, he turns a blind eye on his own rules, due to so much property damage by deer

I most definitely will make sure Im legal. Ive already found some info online and will make some calls. Also waiting to hear back from the game warden. Its all these restrictions that they put in place, but then turn around and complain about deer damage, deer/car accidents and so forth. Just ridiculous if you ask me. Lots of areas around where I live have urban hunting programs set up to keep this from happening. Just need to find out about the area I want to hunt.

bgriff008
06-17-2014, 12:12 PM
allowed

You mentioned if the development is owned by one large company, they legally can not allow hunting. I dont follow this statement. What does being owned by one large company have to do with anything. Just looking for more detail. Thanks.

nomad_archer
06-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Here is the deal. Check with the ODNR about hunting in the location, next check with the city/town/municipality to make sure they allow hunting. I know some towns in ohio do not allow hunting. Some require registration with the local police department and a background check, and some require you take a proficiency test. Once you are cleared by the ODNR officer, the local town/police department, check with the housing association if there is one. If all of that checks out you are good to go.

mrbb
06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
You mentioned if the development is owned by one large company, they legally can not allow hunting. I dont follow this statement. What does being owned by one large company have to do with anything. Just looking for more detail. Thanks.

it has to do with if a private developer , buys a chunk of land, and then opened a private development/ private gated community
the main owner can set rules and conditions on anyone that buys a home in it!

its a contract that is signed when the house is bought, and MOST are gated developments, where all the folks inside pay dues for, all sorts of things, from snow removal, a security guard many times at the gate and so on!
many developments like this ban hunting within the development!

meaning its more of a private development, in which the state and city rules do NOT supercede there development rules, that are signed at time of buying a home there
its a legal contract that was signed at time of buying into the development/home!

these developments many times has rules is which all folks living in the development agree'd to again before buying! and signed as part of buying!

NOT following the rules can result in fines and even evections(in extreme cases) of the home owners
I have many gated communities up my way just like this
and they are so well known for being over run with deer its sad
there also well known for having extreme poaching issues as well
my main hunting lands are surrounded on sides by one, and I have excessive issues with trespassing due to the fact, there is 1500+ acres of NO hunting in this private gated development
I hear more shooting in this development ever evening from backyard poachers its not funny
and its ben my biggest issue, as these poachers only kill bucks, and the buck to doe numbers are off the chart, due to the no real hunting, and the only bucks being killed illegally!

its just like if a home owner association, can tell you how many sheds you can have, or above ground pools or other things
many HOA's have a LOT to say with what can be done in a private development, and HUNTING can be one of them!
but gated developments can have even more rules
thus why I said , asking in advamce can be a big money saver, and legal saver!
good luck

bgriff008
06-17-2014, 08:05 PM
it has to do with if a private developer , buys a chunk of land, and then opened a private development/ private gated community
the main owner can set rules and conditions on anyone that buys a home in it!

its a contract that is signed when the house is bought, and MOST are gated developments, where all the folks inside pay dues for, all sorts of things, from snow removal, a security guard many times at the gate and so on!
many developments like this ban hunting within the development!

meaning its more of a private development, in which the state and city rules do NOT supercede there development rules, that are signed at time of buying a home there
its a legal contract that was signed at time of buying into the development/home!

these developments many times has rules is which all folks living in the development agree'd to again before buying! and signed as part of buying!

NOT following the rules can result in fines and even evections(in extreme cases) of the home owners
I have many gated communities up my way just like this
and they are so well known for being over run with deer its sad
there also well known for having extreme poaching issues as well
my main hunting lands are surrounded on sides by one, and I have excessive issues with trespassing due to the fact, there is 1500+ acres of NO hunting in this private gated development
I hear more shooting in this development ever evening from backyard poachers its not funny
and its ben my biggest issue, as these poachers only kill bucks, and the buck to doe numbers are off the chart, due to the no real hunting, and the only bucks being killed illegally!

its just like if a home owner association, can tell you how many sheds you can have, or above ground pools or other things
many HOA's have a LOT to say with what can be done in a private development, and HUNTING can be one of them!
but gated developments can have even more rules
thus why I said , asking in advamce can be a big money saver, and legal saver!
good luck

Thanks again. I talked to the Game warden and he said the same thing. Check with the township and see if there is an ordinance associated with NO Hunting Allowed. Then to check with the home association and land ownership, just like you said. I Have property to hunt an hour away, but this is litterally 5-7 miles from my house so Im going to do everything I can do to hunt there, legally of course.

mrbb
06-18-2014, 03:49 AM
Like i said, its best to cover all your bases
and I hope it works out for you, some BIG bucks get killed all the time near homes these days, many hunters over look them, for more typical hunting grounds

nomad_archer
06-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Also look out for ordinances the restrict the discharge of firearms or bows. A lot of times those ordnances are used to restrict hunting.

bgriff008
06-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Also look out for ordinances the restrict the discharge of firearms or bows. A lot of times those ordnances are used to restrict hunting.
Good idea. I have seen some that restrict discharging firearms and bows in the parks :), but nothing else.
Thanks.

nomad_archer
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
When I lived in Lyndhurst, OH for a few years you couldn't discharge a bow, gun or anything with a projectile inside or outside of your house unless it was at an approved range that needed to be certified by the city.

mrbb
06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
this opens a BIG can of worms
as in MOST states its illegal to shoot/discharge a weapon any place but a certified range
and that mean a range that is deemed OK to shoot at by state and local governments L
its a very very common broken law in most rural area's
as MOST country folks that own land, shoot at will
BUT many sate laws, city law's and GAME law's don't work together
many game laws require an approved range be used any time a gun/weapon is discharged, as they can deem you shooting NOT on one, as illegal hunting?
ITS crazy YES< but when they want to be pricks about things, there are a LOT of rules many folks break all the time that never be an issue till someone complains
Failure to know the rules laws is NOT an excuse
BUT some times, you can get a little gray area by playing dumb, or just really NOT knowing
Once you find out a rule/law
and well, >> they know you know
its harder to a get away with, an "I didn't know excuse"
LOL
so some times asking , can close a door as well as open one
I spent 15+ yrs shooting all over the USA< and can tell you, I had more cops show up at shoots than you can believe and learned about so many silly stupid laws/rules
and even worse, many times the cops that showed up had all BAD information, and didn't know the law themselves!
that was a VERY COMMON issue with full auto weapons I used to have
cannot count how many times I had a law enforcement officer tell me they were illegal and they never were??
same goes for GAME wardens
just cause they wear a badge doesn't mean there all right all the time too
used to sell hunting lic, and was taken to court by my Game wanders for SO called NOT following the rules
turned out, I was right and it was them wrong, , they didn';t even know there own rules!
the Judge in my last case with them(had a 100+ charges from them saying I broke "X" rules)
told them, next time they took me to court for following the rules, he was going to fine them for wasting his time LOL
SO< word to the wise
double check any info anyone gives you, get info in writing too when ever you can, singed by the person giving it to you!
Saved my butt many times over the yrs, due to again, so many people don't know there own jobs /rules/laws! These days
Humans, we all make mistakes, BUT even if being given wrong info, the facts don't matter , it will still fall on your shoulders if you do something wrong!

NOT trying to be a downer, or a MR know it all, just saying what I have experienced and know
and hopeing no one gets in trouble!
sad how the world has changed from yrs back if you ask me!

nomad_archer
06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
I live in a semi rural area and there is zero rules about discharging weapons. So I can shoot a gun or my bow in my back yard if I wanted to. The laws like the one I mentioned earlier are typically local. There are other places like Solon, OH where the township said no hunting. That may have changed in the last few years since I moved but that was how it was a few years ago. Moral of the story check with everyone you can think of to cover your but. Its a shame it is this difficult but it is what it is really.

mrbb
06-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Nomad I live very rural
and i actually have no zoning codes to follow
BUt if the pa game commision wanted they can fine you for not using a certified shooting range
state police can even do this,
state and local zonong codes are different deamons lol
like i SAID, 99% of the time, no one cares
BUt it doesn't mean there isn't some stupid rule out there
legally target shooting, is a form of , lets say an organized deal, BY law
and as such, requires 'X" range with "X" This and that to be legal
like I said I shot all over Pa, in lands many times in the thousands of acres being private, and had the stste police and game wardneds show uo, many times have helicopters be used to pin point us
so I am sure there silly rules most never folow and again are fine
it was one of the reasons I stopped doing shoots all the time yrs back
got tired of the hassle's
like I said again, living rural, you can get away with things many times that are
lets Gray area's Lol
but just have a heads up at times Lol

bgriff008
06-19-2014, 12:33 PM
So far so good. Game warden said to just follow the hunting rules set by the state. Then I called the township and the guy I talked to happen to be a bow hunter himself. He said there are no ordinances against hunting in the township and to use best judgement and common sense if hunting in a neighborhood, if people are around. That there would be punishment if I actually shot or injured someone. But that goes for any place I would assume. Next will be my buddies housing contract to see if No Hunting was part of the contract, as well as clearing it with his HOA. And last would be touching base with neighbors to let them know that I would be hunting and that its legal, that is if HOA and contract allow it.

nomad_archer
06-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Great news sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Double check with the local pd if there is one as well. Cant hurt.

mrbb
06-19-2014, 03:00 PM
sounds good, and I hope it all works out for you
as again, some of them deer in them places can be BIG , and many are rather easy to pattern too
hardest part many times if getting the permission
doube check into how far from a building and house you need to be on shooting/hunting too
some times if your the owner, you can almsot allow people to shoot from insude NON housing buildings
like sheds and such
which I would think a big pile of corn would pull them right to you!

bgriff008
06-19-2014, 09:32 PM
sounds good, and I hope it all works out for you
as again, some of them deer in them places can be BIG , and many are rather easy to pattern too
hardest part many times if getting the permission
doube check into how far from a building and house you need to be on shooting/hunting too
some times if your the owner, you can almsot allow people to shoot from insude NON housing buildings
like sheds and such
which I would think a big pile of corn would pull them right to you!

If I wanted to, I could shoot from his second story deck. LOL I will most likely put up my steps and hangon back in the woods that are right behind his back yard. I can check with the PD, but most dont even know the laws, so they are most likely pointless to bother with it, but we'll see.

mrbb
06-20-2014, 12:48 AM
the private development by me, thats how most hunt, off there decks, or out there windows
seen a few shoot from way inside there houses to suck up the sound of a rifle loL
not really sure it can be called hunting like that
but due to its, hunting, isn't allowed in there, thats how the cheaters do it lol
from my treestands, i can see many back yards, and have seen it happen several times
sadly my game dept, doesn't want to bother, i've tried, and as of lasy yr I give uo
too many cheaters up my way ??