PDA

View Full Version : Think somethings wrong...

zachc
06-06-2014, 10:09 AM
10568 Ok so we've been getting pics of this guy very regularly. But my question is: does it look like somethings wrong with his nose area? It just looks awkward how it sticks up so far. I briefly looked up "Bullwinkle disease" and it looks kinda similar but hard to tell. Did anyone know anything about this or does it even look weird to you guys? Thanks.

00buck
06-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Looks weird to me like it is swollen or something is irritating it

mrbb
06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
looks swollen to me too, wonder if it got bite by something a Bee or???
might be fine in a few weks or days, never know

Mikebaker
06-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Yea, he deffinitly has something going on. Never seen anything like it. Hopefully he'll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbb
06-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Ok was thinking about this, and would ask you if you or anyone near by runs a feeder
reason I ask is, I have seen deer fight a LOT about feeders, and they can smack each other on the nose pretty hard
mostly see doe fight doe, for there turn at a feeder, but have to think a bitchy doe would strike a buck
maybe more so now if they have fawns
and that could explain the nose on this deer to me, if not a bug bite or, heck even a snake Lol

zachc
06-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Yeah I have a small gravity fed feeder I put corn in, also dump a small pile of corn on the ground where I had a mineral block. He seems to eat more off of the ground than the feeder.

mrbb
06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I have hundreds of pictures over the yrs of deer standing on there hind legs and smacking another deer on the nose, fighting for there turn at a feeder/pile of food/mineral lick
even my sig pic, shows one fighting LOL

that would explain things to me
they hit HARD too, many times been in a tree and watched them fight, the sound of the smacks, is LOUD< wouldn't be suprised if its nose was maybe broken, and thus the swelling!
nothing you can do about it, its pecking order that drives them toi fight I think1 LOL

Big_Holla
06-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Looks to be an injury of some sort. Often you see some older bucks getting what I call a Roman nose, generally from fighting, but that's a bit more than what I would be looking for.

zachc
06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
An injury I can deal with. I, we, were more concerned about a possible infection or something that would affect the meat. He is a buck that's Prolly gonna be on the hit list this year due to the number of pics I have of him and watching him grow, looks like he's gonna be a stud...but most importantly we hunt for the meat. Already have my 4 year old and 3 year old hooked on "deer steaks", lol! Gotta love it!!

mrbb
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
I doubt this would cause any issue with meat
as most folks don't et meat about the face LOL

but it never hurts to keep a close eye on the meat when skinning, any infection or?? would travel from the face to the rest and should be seen in color issue's in its meat
injuries happen all the time
I haven't killed a deer up my way in yrs that didn';t have a bullet/or bullet wound in it, and the meat was fine
some times I cut a bunch off about the area, but never been an issue
and my buddy is a professional butcher that cuts mine up
so I always express concerns to him, and he says, as long as it doesn't look infected, just remove bad(lump or scar tissue) and your good to go
IF any bones look infected, thats another stry he says
as once an infections gets into there bones it can spread thru the meat!??
but I doubt it if he was sick, you would NOT beable to tell
because between now and hunting season, if it was sick, it would be thin and showing signs I think of being ill!

nomad_archer
06-11-2014, 02:07 PM
The last two years I have cut deer up that had a green goo from some injury. One was a nice buck a guy shot up at camp and the injury/goo was right under the hide along the rib cage. The other deer I shot last year the middle of the rump roast had a sack of green goo in the middle of the roast. Cut the roast out threw it away cleaned my knife and finished up cutting the dear up. In the end everyone was fine no one got sick off of the meat. When I have the issue I just toss the affected cut of meat and move on.