PDA

View Full Version : Turkey season

Mikebaker
04-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Just wondering who all is going to make it out for the opener of turkey season? I will be there rain or shine! I plan to stick with my motive 6 and hopefully get a chance at one this season. What's everyone weapon of choice when it come to turkey's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mrbb
04-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Mike might be best to start a post on this
but I might be out, but only here in Pa
and my weapon of choice is a custom made rem 11/87 12 ga I had made up
short 18 & 1/2 inch bbl scope on it and its nice and small and light ish!
but to be honest I am not a die hard turkey hunter, only hunt them when I do as an excuss to be out in the woods and look more for sheds than care about killing a turkey Lol

zachc
04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I plan on getting out. Hopefully basically in my backyard (field). Been seeing a few birds cross through our property the last couple days between 11-noon. I thought that was the only time they were moving through here but I let the dog out about 7:30 this morning and heard them gobble a hand full of times back in the woods. So I'll be set up trying to kill my first turkey ever! As far as weapon of choice its more like weapon I have right now...the ole mossberg 500.

00buck
04-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Ready to go

nomad_archer
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
I will be out in PA on opening morning which isnt for another few weeks.

00buck
04-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Won't make it out till weekend work has been way to busy

00buck
04-25-2014, 10:12 PM
headed out in the morning still seeing birds in the evening good luck to all that are headed out

mrbb
04-26-2014, 03:06 PM
seen a flock of gobblers, counted 22 this morning in a clover field behind my house
all small 3-6 inch bearded toms, but wow, that was a flock of goblers, and they were gobbling every time anything mad a sound, from car horns, trucks hitting the rumble strips on the hi way, to the bulldozers hitting rocks, LOL
must have gobbled about 300 times between them all, while I was there!
sadly I wouldn't shot a one of them if I was hunting, I was just out for a walk, season didn't start here yet for adults(today was the opening day of the youth hunt)
next sat is our opening day for adults

00buck
05-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Well after having the last 5 days off and all the rain didn't make it out can't even get across the creek to hunt I guess a waist of time away from work but at least I got to spend time with family

nomad_archer
05-01-2014, 07:42 AM
00buck. There is never wasted time away from work if you got to spend it with family. Sorry you couldnt get out hunting.

I am packing up now to head north to my cabin for a long weekend Friday-Tuesday to fish the second trout stocking and also the first few days of the PA turkey opener. Will be lots of fun.

00buck
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Yeah and a short day today so more time at the house probably have to make some baits for fishing and finish up a few other things

zachc
05-04-2014, 10:45 PM
So I went outside early this morning to work on the tractor, was out there for maybe 10 minutes and heard a turkey gobble across the road about 5 times within a minute or so. Keep in mind I had no intention on going turkey huntin this morning but hearing this I said h*ll with it i'm setting up. So I ran in threw on my camo, grabbed my gun and vest and ran to the field. I got my decoys out and started calling. I had the bird across the road gobbling for about 10-15 minutes and he kinda just stopped...but not me I continued calling. I heard a gobble come from back behind me a ways out but didn't think much of it. Next thing I know I hear something walking through the woods from behind me. Well I had to spin around and I did so just in time, no sooner than I did and I had 3 Jakes stepping through the woods hot and heavy locked on the decoys. As soon as the first 2 stepped into the field I unleashed some lead! Dropped the lead bird in his tracks. Couldn't believe it I wasn't set up 30-40 minutes and just shot my first turkey ever! Isn't a monster by any means but I'll take it, About 15-20 lbs and a 3 inch beard.10554

nomad_archer
05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Saturday was a slow day at the cabin only heard one bird and we where on the wrong side of the creek from one another. I did get permission on a 375 acre coop farm for Monday and Tuesday. This morning was wild i saw 11 birds and a deer. There was so many birds sounding off it was tough to keep track. All stayed out of range but tomorrow is another day and i have high hopes

ranger175a
05-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Way to go zachc

00buck
05-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Congrats on the first bird

zachc
05-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Me and my buddy went out to give it one more shot this morning (Sunday) before season ended. I didn't even make it to my set before I heard Turkeys gobbling! I had 3 Toms gobbling back and forth for about 30 minutes but they were a couple hundred yards out. They, and 3 hens- eventually work out from behind the treeline they we hidden behind into a small clearing. And we could see them struttin around in the morning light gobbling their heads off. We talked to them for about 1 1/2-2 hours here and there before they walked around the back side of the woods. Was a big disappointment that they wouldn't come off those hens but man was it exciting to see them at full strut! Oh yeah also saw 5 deer on the property today so that's even better!

nomad_archer
05-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Sounds like you are hooked zach. Once a bird is henned up you usually cannot get him to leave her. But if you can convince then hen to come in hen you are in business. I had the same thing happen last time I was out. I saw 15 birds all henned up and I couldn't get them to come in but they sure are fun to watch.