PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun opinion?

danger
04-17-2014, 06:04 PM
I just started to bowhunt last season. I used a bow through ML and gun weeks. That being said, I'm in the market for a semiauto12 gauge. I am thinking about the stoeger 3500. Has anyone have any experience with it?

It's in my budget and it feels better than the mossy 930 & 935.

I plan on using it for deer, turkey, ducks, geese, & plinking.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Jeremy

mrbb
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
there decent guns
I had a gun store for many yrs and sold over 17,000 guns, so I have a little experience with guns LOl
BUT if I was to recommend a shotgun, I would maybe suggest a remington 11/87, and just a 3" model
my reasoning is, you can get one, and then get a slug barrel
as the stoger you listed doesn't offer a slug barrel, and to be honest the 3 1/2 '' really isn't needed unless your a super die hard duck/goose hunter
the ammo costs a lot more, and most guns that shoot 3.5's in semi's can be rather picky on what they wil cycle well in 2 3/4" and then 3" rounds, the one's you ill use most often(beibng 2 3/4" one's)
the arvantage of having a longer barrel for ducks geese/ small gam
and then a shorter one for slugs, can be a big help in hitting targets and swinging the gun
MOST all modern guns are made rather well
but the major names, you can find assories a lot easier, there are a more parts out there for guns like rem and Mossberg than maybe all the rest together
here is a link for a used one in Ohio, that comes with 2 barrels
its almost impossible to wear out a shotgun for the average guy, they just cannot afford the amount of rounds it would take, so if it looks good, not signs of anyone boggering on it with screw drivers, odds are its a fine working gun
don't be scared of used shotguns
rifles can be more picky on buying used, but that's another subject

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2906218/columbus-ohio-shotguns-for-sale--remington-1187-sportsman-model-with-extra-rifled-slug-barrel

mrbb
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
also one last thing, many times a yrs the bigger chain stores liek, Cabela's gander MT, DIcks, and so on, run sales on 11/87's
seen them many times for like $ 499-529 new
but extra barrels run about 250-350 or so
so the gun I listed its a little high to me in price, but new know what a guy will take if you make an offer
just showed you that there are combo's out there for sale used, that might be worth looking for
same can be had in Mossberg's too!
but I'm more of a remington guy LOl

danger
04-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I initially was looking at a remington. I heard some bad stuff & issues. I may have to reconsider. Thank you for the opinion.

mrbb
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Sold a ton of remingtons, and own many that seen 10's of thousnads of rounds, and still work just fine
have replaced some O rings over the yrs, mine are 25 + yrs old some
but never any issue's
benelli and browning and beretta all make good shotguns as well
but again, mossberg and remington, you will find more things, barrels and stocks and so on at better prices

mrbb
04-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Also, there is nothing wrong with a pump shotgun either, and there a lot cheaper to get into, can buy a couple for what a new semi can run you

ed1315
04-18-2014, 11:11 PM
I hunted many years with a remington auto 5 sportsman 12ga. I liked using an auto but you tend to want to always do a quick 2nd shot. Unfortunetly it was stolen. Last year I bought a brand new Mossberg 20ga pump in wood & blue. I like the 20 better than the 12 as far as the kick and I would not hesitate using it for deer (if I hunted deer with a gun).
Like MRBB said there are much more possibilites to customize a rem 870 or moss 500..... if you stay with 12ga

mrbb
04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
As for recoil, a semi will absorb some of the recoil due to how many work, using the charge to cycle the action, thus sucking up some of the recoil/power of the charge that makes it then to the shooter
and a pump can be as fast as a semi too, yrs back winchester use to run adds proving it can be as fast or faster than some semi's of the era
advantage of the semi is less recoil, and not having to loose sight picture as much, as working a pump can cause
but both off up very fast second shots

nomad_archer
04-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a stoeger M2000 and it fit the budget at the time. I will be selling it to my dad because now that I shoot a lot of the clay sports the gun just doesnt fit right and the fit and finish are OK but not great. My wife shoots a benelli and really likes it and it is a very nice gun. For what you are planning on doing though I would be looking at something that would take 2 3/4" and 3" shells no need for 3 1/2" unless you like to punish yourself. I've never been a big remington fan but they sell a ton of guns and at that price point you would be hard pressed to find anything better with the support available.

Personally I have turned into a browning guy and plan to spend over 1k on my next semi-auto but I plan to use it for everything and I shoot a few thousand rounds each summer on the clays range so I need something that will hold up to that punishment. Plus locally there are plenty of parts and accessories for browning guns. Not so much for the benelli/franchi/stoeger guns. Also an inertia gun like a benelli/franchi/stoeger is going to have more recoil than a gas operated semi. I believe the newer browning and berreta semi's dont use O-rings anymore either.

danger
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Recoil isn't an issue. I'm a big guy. At 6'5" & 220#, I can handle about any shotgun easily.

mrbb
04-21-2014, 11:57 AM
your size doesn't really mean what recoil you can handle, some folks and how a gun fits can make a HUGE difference
I had a 50bmg, my 100 ;b girlfriend could shoot all day, about 3+ times the recola Ft LB's of a 12 ga 3.5
and seen some BIG guys that wouldn't shoot it

but lets says your fine with recoil
recoil does cause you to loose sight picture, fact of life we all have recoil shy or not LOL
next the simple price of shells of 3.5's over 2.75's, is a BIG factor on or for most on how often you will shoot it
plus I have never seen a guy yet that can do a full round of spotrting clays with 3.5's and not be a little tender in the shoulder(and yes I know folks don't do this often or any need to, just an example)
and to be honest the fact you mentioned a 3.5 in the begining, kinda told me you were not recoil shy of a shooter LOl

I was just trying to tell you that 99% of your hunting shooting will be done with NON 3.5 shells
so why add the costs of that to a gun you will use them in so seldom?
and if you really plan to shoot a TON of 3.5's
there are MUCH better shotguns ot there your WAY better off saving up for over said model you lstarted this post about
not bashing the model you picked, just saying, there are better one's to handle a ton of 3.5 rounds, that will pay off down the road for you and worth spending the extra for!

again, 99% of all modern shotguns(but cheap as you can find models maybe)
are more gun than most guys will ever need
shotguns are like tools, every one does "X" job better in one area
the most important thing is FIT, anyone that shoot a LOT will tell you this, 99% of all go bang every time you pull the trigger
how well a gun fits you, will make you a better shooter, or NOT
fit is a HUGE deal in a shotgun, something most folks take for granted and just live with
sure you can get buy with?? fit , but if you ever own one that fits right, you will see the difference first time you shoot it!

nomad_archer
04-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Mrbb,
I agree 110% fit is the most important thing. Close your eyes shoulder the gun and when you open your eyes you should be looking down the rib or very close to it. If that doesn't happen then then gun doesn't fit and it can be an expensive process to make a gun fit correctly or close to correctly.

I am not recoil shy either but if a gun doesn't fit correctly I don't want to shoot very much because it will hurt or will eventually hurt plus I will not shoot very well. Getting beat up by a gun is no fun especially if you plan to shoot it a lot.

mrbb
04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Nomad, back when I had my store, I used to send folks all the time to a shop 100+ miles away from me, due to they carried over 1500+ over and under shotgun, from a couple hundred bucks to ten's of thousands
reasy being was NOTHING bat having a gun to pick up and hold and see how it fits
99% of the guys I sent there said the trip was well worth the drive, and 90% of the time, they had me order the gun for them, as I tened to be able to beat most folks on price, that shop had high prices to justify the inevetory they kept, plus it was actuallt in another state LOL
yes I sent customers out of state to a different gun store
and liek I said, most highly appreciated it, as when you buy a shotgun in the 5-10 k range, you kinda want to only do it once, or for sure make sure your getting one that fit you! HAHA
I stell recommend folks try guns, and in all honestly leanr what it means to have a fitted gun
its also about learning guns
and then how to pick what barrel length you want
you can get away on a semi (or a pump)with a shorter barrel than you would want on say a over under, as the reciver on a pump/semi, gives you a longer sight plane, where as with a side by side or over and under, you don't have that long reciever
a proper fitting gun will fit like a glove, every time you sholder it it will fall in the right spot
when you have to adjust to fit a gun, your always going thru a LOT more motions, and odds of getting one of them wrong, are a lot higher, the less it fits
same with bows too, you want things to work naturally as possible to get the most out of an item for said shooter, same with hand guns
a gun that fits , 99% of shooters will out shoot over a high dollar gun that doesn't fit
lots of little things can make or bear the fun you get out of things, or performance of them

danger
04-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Nomad & mrbb,
I really appreciate your opinion. How the 3500 fits me is a big reason I'm favoring it. It feels better than other more expensive models. I originally had been looking at the remington 1100/1187. It doesn't shoulder as well as the stoeger.

mrbb
04-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Well the price of the gun isn't the main thing to consider in buying a gun(Can be a limit you can swing for sure )
my suggestion with this is, this
if that fits you best, then buy it, BUt just remember its not going to be a great slug gun, but for other things it will be a fine shotgun for you
you can always buy a shotgun just for slogs, and to be honest that is a better idea, as you won't be re zeroing it every time you swap barrels
a decent slug gun in say a pump shotgun can be had rather cheap if you shop about too, all the more so on a used one
good luck

nomad_archer
04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
If you where located close I would let you shoot my Stoeger 2000 so you could know for sure how the gun will work for you. I have no idea where you are located but I am in central PA so probably not close. Also if you get the stoeger a few things to watch out for:

1. Make sure the bolt is fully closed its a rotating bolt so sliding it forward slowly wont completely lock it up it has to be able to close freely about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way to lock up, other wise it wont go bang.

2. There are two washers that go in the end of the forend grip between the forend and the barrel. One washer is flat the other is bent. The bent washer has to be in contact with the barrel or the gun wont cycle. This will make more sense when you take the gun apart.

3. You make want to make sure the stock nut or bolt (cant remember which one) is tight. My stock came loose after like 300 rounds. Several hundred since then and it hasn't loosened up.

tangyhunter
04-24-2014, 11:12 AM
I've used my 11-87 since 2005 and it is an absolute deer slayer. I shoot hornady SST slugs and they put the bucks down. Match the 11-87 with a good scope and you'll have a deer gun for the rest of your life.

danger
04-26-2014, 08:24 PM
I ended up picking up the m3500. I couldn't pass at $499. Breaking it in tomorrow. I just need to figure out what shells to buy for break in.

mrbb
04-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Well all depends on what you mean by breaking it in; and what you plan to hunt
if your setting up for turkey, I'd buy a couple different loads in either 3' OR 3.5'S
if for clays or skeet, I be shooting low brass 8's in 2 3/4's
if you just want to shoot, buy whats on sale
BUT, I would n't but a lot till I shot some and made sure they worked the action well
do yourself and the gun a favor
take it apart, clean it and use some good oil on putting it back together before shooting it
and congrats on the new gun
hope it last forever for you

nomad_archer
04-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Clean that gun make sure you take the bolt and trigger Assembly out and clean it. They will have grease in those parts to keep from rusting on the shelf. Those areas of the gun get really dirty when you shoot

nomad_archer
04-26-2014, 10:40 PM
The bolt breaks down like the benelli bolt so you can check you tube for a how to

danger
04-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks everyone!

mrbb
04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
let us know how it works out for you
might help someone else later on

danger
04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
I shot about 50 rounds of 2 3/4 heavy loads. I was smiling from ear to ear. I had a few ( maybe 3 or 4) cycling issues because I only field cleaned it first.

nomad_archer
04-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Even with a field cleaning it shouldn't have any cycling issues with 2 3/4 standard 1 1/8oz heavy loads. I didn't completely break down the bolt and trigger assembly until over a year of shooting after I owned the gun. My M 2000 shoots my 7/8oz extra light reloads without any issues. So you really shouldnt be having issues.

mrbb
04-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Even with a field cleaning it shouldn't have any cycling issues with 2 3/4 standard 1 1/8oz heavy loads. I didn't completely break down the bolt and trigger assembly until over a year of shooting after I owned the gun. My M 2000 shoots my 7/8oz extra light reloads without any issues. So you really shouldnt be having issues.

Nomad, don't forget this is a 3.5 inch gun, and as such that is a lot of bolt for it to be blowing back
between being NEW, maybe dirty, and well, also why its price is what it is
having some issue's with 2 3/4 inch loads is going to be part of the game with it I think
as times goes by and some good cleanings it should maybe work better
But I don't ever see it being a great low power laod gun
and that is why, there is a such a BIG price difference between the 3.5's that work well across teh board and those that can stumble at times
its a comprimise when you buy 3.5 guns
if you want to handle the big rounds, you give up some reliability MOST times, on the light target 2.75 loads
as if its stumbling on heavy 2.75 loads, I have to think it will struggle a LOT more on light target loads
NOT bashing your new gun, just saying what I know about them
and again, as time and mroe rounds go thru this gun it shoudl work better

nomad_archer
04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
It shouldn't have any issues with 2.75 in loads. According to the manual "n. Minimum recommended load 11/8 oz shot / 3 drams of powder" thats about on par with what you get for cheap target loads and I would expect the gun to cycle correctly." My M2000 manual says the same thing and it was worked with very light reloaded 7/8 target loads. It hasn't messed up with 2.75 1 1/8 and neither should his gun.

Looking at the manual and parts list the only thing they changed between the M2000 that I have and the M3500 is probably the chamber size. mrbb the whole action is spring driven and it is a very light spring at that, just enough to push the action forward. I know mine with 3" rounds kicks like a mule I don't want to think bout 3.5" rounds.

mrbb
04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Nomad, on MOST 3.5 guns, the Bolt is a bunch bigger and heavier to take the recoil and power of a 3.5
that extra weight, cause's issue;s with light loads, all the mroe maybe on a NEW gun that is still tight, doesn't have as much fine smoothing of parts, like a higher priced gun will have
I hear you on if it says it can it should, BUT that seldon if the way the real world works
them BIG bolts suck up power, even on a light spring
its the nature of the beast, if you want a great shooting 2.75 gun, you should buy one , if you want a great shooting 3.5 gun buy one
if your asking for one to to be great in all sizes??
good luck, and them guns seem to cost a LOT more than 500 bucks, double and then some?
that's kinda why they cost more?

danger
04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Take it easy guys. The failures were known and expected. My field cleaning was a simple wipe down without disassembly. There was a TON of cosmoline and polystyrene in the gun. I intentionally shot it as is to see the worst case. I'm not concerned at all about trouble cycling anything. I'm happy with my purchase.

mrbb
04-28-2014, 06:41 PM
hahah, like I said, I think its a good gun, it just won't be the best at low power loads
still a great gun,

ed1315
04-28-2014, 07:50 PM
And that is another reason why I liked my old Remington Sportsman, It had a ring on the mag tube that could be setup for different loads

nomad_archer
04-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Welp mrbb we could argue this all day and we have but I guess the moral of the story is the OP is happy with the gun.

OP give it a good good clean and hopefully that will clear up any of your cycling issues.

ed1315 - The new Browning and Beretta and probably other gas guns dont need any adjustment to reliably cycle the light low velocity loads. Heck some of the gas guns don't need O-rings anymore. I am familiar with the browing/beretta's since that is what I am shopping for right now.