PDA

View Full Version : Dirty song dogs!!!!

BluSpruOutfitters
03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Hey guys! Need some yote hunting advice. I've seen lots of coyotes on my cams the last two weeks, with at least a pack of 3 top running around together. Seen a couple during deer season. Got out a week ago with my e-caller, rabbit decoy and bow (along with a buddy with an AR for longer shots). Both all camouflaged and hidden. Wind in our faces. Set up and got stumped. Went early am in what we feel like were good spots. Didn't see anything in three stands. I'd like to take a couple out seeing as we've found three deer kills in the last month. Any tips, tricks or any helpful advice would be awesome. Thanks!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Big_Holla
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
A lot of guys are finding yotes are getting harder and harder to call. The best success I've seen is by snaring them. One guy I know just got his 33rd. yote today down there for this season only, 16 of which were off of one farm.

nomad_archer
03-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Are you sure they where yote deer kills not deer that succumbed to the elements or other causes and then were turned into dinner?

I have seen more than a few deer that were eaten by bears and coyotes but I dont suspect any where hunted and killed by a coyote. Now I could be wrong but as I understand it coyotes are very big scavengers.

BluSpruOutfitters
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
I know at least one was killed, got it on cam pics but could be the elements. Just know I see way too many on cams with fawning season coming up. Snaring huh? What kind of bait? How big of snares?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

mrbb
03-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Ok, mating season for coyotes is now, started about late feb and can run into april
so seeing several together can just be a bunch of males on an in heat female
with this info, female dog calls can help a ton
second tip
go to some animal shelters, ask if they have any females in heat
if so, ask if you can get some urine
and use it like doe in heat
know many folks that have great luck with doing this

next, how long are you setting up both before calling, and after starting to call
I am one that has had better luck with waiting 30 40 minutes nefore calling, after getting to calling site, than just setting up and calling
coyotes are super smart
most guys maybe get one for every 25 30 sets
so, hang in there
also, coyotes are more active at last 30 minutes of light than mornings too

BluSpruOutfitters
03-26-2014, 06:13 PM
We did kinda rush calling. New guy mistake I guess. Patience must be a real virtue! Female calls huh? Well were gonna end up out there maybe tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep that in mind. How often do you usually call for. I usually kept the e-caller on a certain call for about 3-5 minutes. My caller also has pauses so that's about 5 or 6 calling sequences during that time. How long between calls do you wait before starting the calling again?

mrbb
03-26-2014, 07:58 PM
me when I call I start off real low on volume
let it run for about 2 -3 minuytes then shut it down and wait about 10 or 15 minutes
I then start again low, for about 2 minutes, then wait about 5, then go alot louder and repeat
I tend to sit at spots for about 35-45 minutes then move about a 1/2 mile or more and repeat
I have a fox pro, with the deocy on the caller, with wireless remote, I like to place my caller out about 150 yrd or more from me
way too many times they will circle me, and still be behind me before they come it
its hard getting decent spots up my way to do this, I try to work power lines, and farm fields, of hunt mountain sides, and call on one side expecting things to be on the other side
I only rifle hunt them now
and most of y shots are 10 yrds 99% of the time
with a few odd one's I just get lucky I think and happen to be close when I call, and theer right there
anything that doesn't happen to come in to me in the first 5-7 minutes, always ends up being way out there
many times with snow on the ground I can see them of and on at 400-500 plus yards
and most times they hang up at about 250, really over looking things
again, there super smart critters

if you have time to and its legal, you cn try picking up a few road kills
and pre baiting an area too
if your creative
and again legal
you can also livve box trap a rabbit or a chicken
and stake them out as live decoys, then you get natural scent and decoy in the mix
same goes for road kill small critters, that ain't busted up too much
I prefer to try to be far away as I can and make the snot with yotes, shooting far ups your odds of getting one
but I don't recommend shooting past what you practice at and can do in field shooting
I carry a range finder when I coyote hunt, and maybe use it more than in deer season too!
many strores also sell coyote scents now too, never tried them, but sure they could work, if all things line up, just like in deer season with deer scents
but I am not a big coyote hunter, I only really hunt them now in contests
and rest of the time let them walk

BluSpruOutfitters
03-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Awesome brother! Thanks man! Hopefully that'll help.

mrbb
03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
your set up many times is the more important deal maker or breaker, they pick up small details I think better than deer do
if you have time to scout and make groud blinds, and then come back and hunt at a later date, that will help too!
best of luck