PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to fletch own arrows..

Strother23
01-26-2014, 08:28 PM
In the off season I am strongly considering to learn how to fletch my own arrows. I've looked online and seen the fletching jigs that do 3 fletchs at once. I'm wanting to do my own color schemes/ custom wraps and design just my own arrows and I think it's something pretty cool to learn to do. Does anyone on here do their own arrows. It looks pretty simple. Is it easy like it looks online? Thanks

gonehunting 45
01-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Its really not that hard at all. Take your time. Make sure the shaft is clean and using fresh glue. I was using the jo-jan jig and now use the bohning jig.
Good luck

nomad_archer
01-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Its really quite easy actually so easy it is insulting what a shop wants you to pay for it.

Make sure your shaft is clean and if making wraps make sure the wrap is clean after you put it on the shaft

Big_Holla
01-29-2014, 01:57 PM
It's easy and rewarding to have them done the way you want them. My suggestion is always use wraps. Reason being, they are simple to remove with a hair dryer and then use some mineral spirits to clean off the residue. Otherwise you end up having to scrape the glue off and if you gouge the carbon bad enough you can ruin an arrow. Another recommendation is if you do use wraps, make sure you start your first vane directly over the seam so it seals it down and keeps it from shifting. Also, when done put a dab of glue on the front and back of each vane. This will help keep the vanes from tearing off if they get too deep into a target, etc..

I use a Bitzenburger multi jig (only do 1 arrow at a time though) w/ RH Helical, Blazer vanes, Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum glue and wraps you can custom make at:

http://onestringer.com/

nomad_archer
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Great info. I didnt get around to doing a write up. I do the same. I use different glue and jig but that's personal preference

Strother23
01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info on how to fletch my own arrow. I will be posting some pics of the arrows I finish when I get all the proper equipment in the off season.

Weasel
07-27-2014, 10:54 PM
I've used the Arizona EZ Fletch for over a decade now. I've used just about every other kind out there before finding the Arizona. It's a great, simple to use tool.

Genesis 9:3
10-31-2014, 12:28 PM
I've never done this, nor have I yet had a reason to do so... what's the benefit? Also, what does the wrap do?

I've always bought my arrows in a box... what am I missing?

Big_Holla
10-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Sooner or later you will have fletchings come loose or perhaps you want to customize your arrows some. Wraps for the most part are to dress your arrow up to what ever style/colors you decide. With most arrows being black or dark colors adding a bright colored wrap helps you find it after a shot on a deer, see what kind of blood you have on the arrow and perhaps help you see the arrow as it's flying to impact to know where you may have hit or missed the deer. For me I prefer the wraps simply because there is no scraping when it comes to refletching an arrow, something that can cause damage to a carbon arrow if you aren't careful.

nomad_archer
11-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Big holla nailed it. Those are all the reasons I fletch my own